Archinect
anchor

2011 M.Arch applicants, commiserate here!

hosa777

UCLA and Sci Arc will be sending their decision status for M Arch 2 sometime during the next two weeks !!!
This is torture !!!

Mar 15, 11 6:13 pm  · 
 · 
aag2022

@hosa777 how do you know this?

Mar 15, 11 6:35 pm  · 
 · 
hosa777

@aag2022 i called the admission offices an hour ago. I asked UCLA if they would send their decisions before the open house and she said they are hopeful of sending them before that.

Mar 15, 11 6:50 pm  · 
 · 
johnlem87

@maryagnes - got the whiskey and guiness for you ya! I'm sorry to hear about Oregon!!!! Actually... here's a bit of strange news...

I just got an email from Helga Wood, the Admissions Advisor for Architecture at the University of Oregon. She said that she was in the difficult position of having to tell me that they have "misplaced" my application, and that this had never happened in their department before. Should I wish to re-submit my materials, they will extend the review period to accommodate whatever time I need to do so.

Is the ball in my court somehow? Has this ever happened before? I need some advice ha!!!!!

-Johnny

Mar 15, 11 6:54 pm  · 
 · 
beezely

@lomas3
@ss87
@eeevalynne
@mr. minimal

Call Chaz. I'm telling you, UT is a great school but this kid is a whack job. I waited until May last year and ended up not going at all. If you're on the wait list, which I guess you'd have to call to find out (why have the UTEID update?) take heart. A lot of folks getting in to the ivy's throw in an app to UT because Austin is bomb.

Also, it's SXSW and spring break; I can't imagine Chaz is working overtime trying to make this happen. You'll need to be assertive.

Mar 15, 11 7:00 pm  · 
 · 
maryagnes

Johnny - Sounds like the ball is totally in your court, but it depends on how badly you want Oregon in the first place. Have you received an acceptance that you really want? I mean, Oregon's a great school, and probably much more fun if you're in Portland, but if it's low on your list, it may be more trouble than it's worth. However, if they're going to accomodate you time-wise, then it seems that they would only offer to do so knowing full well that that would require keeping a spot open or adding a spot on the chance that they really love your app.

If it were me, I would almost certainly do it, but I'd be super irritated at having to approach my recommenders again and order transcripts, etc. But I'd still do it.

I have never heard of this happening, but I can't say that I'm surprised. A couple of weeks prior to the deadline, I called to make sure that they had all of my materials because of the lack of an online application. They told me that they were not in a position to tell applicants because they were only then beginning to sift through the materials that they had received. I was pretty shocked that they had waited until then to begin.

Thanks for the drinks!

-M

Mar 15, 11 7:29 pm  · 
 · 
jamesherm

@beezely

i called right after belkow posted. i've been recommended for admission, they're just waiting for the graduate dean to sign off on it.

i suspect that mine may have taken longer because one of my recommenders waited until three weeks past the deadline to submit his letter.

anyway, i'm as happy as an almost-admitted clam.

Mar 15, 11 7:52 pm  · 
 · 
jamesherm

oh wow, one was three weeks late and one was ten days late.

c'mon fellas. get it together.

Mar 15, 11 7:54 pm  · 
 · 
johnlem87

M- They definitely need to catch up to speed and start some sort of online system for their applications. At least I feel like I have some sort of leverage at this point. I'm definitely applying, again, in the next few days. Getting a more jazzed up portfolio printed in the morning. What sucks is paying for it all, again! Also, getting my recommenders to send, yet another, hard copy over to the department just a few days after Spring break - which is usually their pissiest moments ever - too many hung over fourth year students coming back from South Beach! (wonderful memories!)

This lady is actually incredibly slow at responding to these emails, too, which makes this not an easy or fun process.

What is your top choice? My top just slapped the confidence right out of body this morning!

Few hours ago I had sushi with friends after work. I asked the bartender for a guiness float - guess what I got? A delicious root beer float replaced by guiness haha! If you ever hit up Boston soon, check out this place called Samurai.

-J

Mar 15, 11 7:58 pm  · 
 · 
own1221

Any Cornell or Columbia acceptees - I'd like to make a few friends before I get to NYC - I'm an international student (from New Zealand) - message me!

Mar 15, 11 9:29 pm  · 
 · 
fabisco

@mr. minimal

im in the same boat, just got into pratt but waiting for UT and MIT, my last hopes!

anyone apply to Illinois Institute of Tech in chicago? Or know anything about their M. Arch degree? (1st professional)

congrats and good luck for all!

Mar 15, 11 9:59 pm  · 
 · 
jamesherm

@FAB87

yeah, i applied to IIT and was accepted yesterday with advanced standing. the school doesn't get much attention on these boards, but I was impressed with it when i visited last may.

i'm not totally convinced that i could live in chicago, though, so i've been sort of thinking of it as a safety sorta deal.

Mar 15, 11 10:20 pm  · 
 · 
Jumperman18

Got the phone call from MIT SMarchS arch & urbanism Sunday afternoon!

So now the question is this: GSD MAUD or MIT SMarchS?? Nice problem to have.

I have not received any information via mail yet.

I'm located in Los Angeles and am looking to book a flight to Boston for both open houses. Hope to meet a few of you out there!

Mar 15, 11 10:53 pm  · 
 · 
ss87

@ belkow
@beezely

Thank you for the updates! Still waiting on UT and I dont live in the US, so I need to make allowances for the difference in timezones before calling in to the admissions office.

No updates on the grad cafe for the MSUD program either.. keeping fingers crossed.

Mar 16, 11 2:58 am  · 
 · 
ss87

@minimal

congrats on almost getting in! What program are you going in for?

Mar 16, 11 3:02 am  · 
 · 
ss87

@ mr.minimal

congrats on almost getting in! What program are you going in for?

Mar 16, 11 3:02 am  · 
 · 
eeevalynne

@ belkow
@beezely

omg! calling UT was like the worst experience of my life! i just got scolded like a child!

what was i supposed to say? heres how it went:

me: hey, i was just calling to check the status of my application
c: have you checked the website?
me: yes, but i heard that yall were kinda done accepting people and i got some advice to call to see if I made the waitlist.
c: WHO TOLD YOU THAT JUST CHECK THE WEBSITE
me: sorry! wha---
c: CZECH THE WEBSITE!

Mar 16, 11 10:57 am  · 
 · 
beezely

@mr. minimal- fantastic on UT!

Mar 16, 11 10:58 am  · 
 · 
johnlem87

There is still nothing on UT's website!!!!

Mar 16, 11 11:19 am  · 
 · 
wb4b44

I also called Chaz from UT this morning and although mine was a little better than eeevalynne, not a whole lot. He was a little grumpy, directed me to the website, made it sound like he is entering 500 admissions one by one (maybe he is), and said that his goal was to get all of status updates to the website by Friday. I don't think it bodes well for those of us who haven't heard yet, but we'll see.

Otherwise, I'm probably looking at WashU or Oregon.

Mar 16, 11 11:30 am  · 
 · 
wb4b44

I also called Chaz from UT this morning and although mine was a little better than eeevalynne, not a whole lot. He was a little grumpy, directed me to the website, made it sound like he is entering 500 admissions one by one (maybe he is), and said that his goal was to get all of status updates to the website by Friday. I don't think it bodes well for those of us who haven't heard yet, but we'll see.

Otherwise, I'm probably looking at WashU or Oregon.

Mar 16, 11 11:30 am  · 
 · 
jamesherm

@beezely + @ss87

thanks. i just checked again and the website had been updated to confirm my acceptance.

this is a really good day.

@ss87

i'd be in the first-professional m.arch program, but having done a fair amount of the coursework at another institution, i'm not sure where in the sequence they'd put me. ut is a semi-unusual case in that they are willing to give credit for some 'transferred' courses.

Mar 16, 11 11:53 am  · 
 · 
beezely

@w2011bb
@eeevalynne

Yeah, he was a jerk to me last year, too. Hang in there. Because it's a public institution, the admin folks work strict hours, so he's outta there every day by 5 and likely finds working 8 hours a day to keep organized during admissions incredibly stressful.

And it's SXSW. That grump you got was a massive hangover and four hours of sleep, I can assure you. My boyfriend sounded the same way this morning.

Mar 16, 11 11:57 am  · 
 · 
maryagnes

J- Sorry for the late response. Yes, they really do need an online application process. And yes, the lady is terrible about emailing back, and she's a bit rude about it, too. She actually told me to call all (I attended quite a few) of my schools to double-check that they sent the transcripts, instead of just telling me whether or not she had received them. She then proceeded to tell me that she has been doing this for ten years, and that I shouldn't question her ability to do her job. I think that may be when she blacklisted me... :)

Hope the portfolio re-printing process is going well for you this morning. Good luck on approaching the recommenders!

I had my float last night - mmmm. Told you they were completely heavenly! I will try to remember that place if I ever make it to Boston. Thanks for the recommendation.

My top choice is probably UW in Seattle at this point, but I'm afraid to even commit to saying that in fear that I won't get in. I still have a few others left to hear from, so I would take any of them, but that's probably my top choice at this point. What's yours?

-M

@eeevalynne
@w2011bb

I actually chose not to apply to UT after I had already begun the process solely because of my interactions with Chaz. The biggest thing was that he never returned calls, and then, when he did, he acted as though he had no clue as to what I needed, so I would have to explain to him all over again what I had left him five messages for. I felt like saying "Dude, if I've left you five messages, do me a favor and actually listen to them so that you know why you're calling me back!" Basic phone etiquette...

Mar 16, 11 12:51 pm  · 
 · 
jamesherm

"I actually chose not to apply to UT after I had already begun the process solely because of my interactions with Chaz."

not trying to pick on you, maryagnes, but it always really surprises me how often people say this kind of thing on this forum. can one person's sour attitude really be a reflection of an entire department? especially in architecture, where faculties+staff are always full of grumpy fuckers?

Mar 16, 11 2:18 pm  · 
 · 
johnlem87

If a trailer for a new movie is horrible, I don't usually end up seeing the film.

I thought the people in Texas were much nicer and relaxed than this douche.

Mar 16, 11 2:42 pm  · 
 · 
johnlem87

@maryagnes - My top was Berkeley... but that is entirely out of the picture. Looks like I'll try next year and will hopefully have better luck. I've heard great things about the Northwest, and it is certainly a place I've been wanting to go check out. Good luck on the UW response, hope you get in!

This lady just told me that they lost everything including my GRE scores - but they'd give me as much time as I need. This definitely seems like a shady process. How the fuck would you lose an entire file like this?!

Mar 16, 11 2:46 pm  · 
 · 
jamesherm

@johnlem87

yeah, but a trailer is a much more reasonably accurate reflection of a movie than some temporarily stressed-out administrative guy's attitude reflects upon an entire academic department (or an entire state, that's just ridiculous).

also, seeing/not seeing a movie is hilariously insignificant compared to choosing a graduate degree program. i hope that analogy was made jokingly.

Mar 16, 11 3:16 pm  · 
 · 
sreban20

Got into MIT SMARCHS with a focus in architecture and urbanism.
:)
Got a phone call this past Sunday, but no letter yet. Anybody else?

Mar 16, 11 3:17 pm  · 
 · 
maryagnes

@mr. minimal - No, you're right. I guess I shouldn't have said that I made the decision solely on his behavior because I was already flip-flopping between Austin and another school. So, in reality, his lack of professionalism just merely sealed the deal for me.

The sad thing is that the admissions coordinators really do represent the face of the department, whether or not that's what the general student experience actually is.

Mar 16, 11 3:30 pm  · 
 · 
maryagnes

@johnlem87 - Well, the Oregon situation sounds hellish at best. I'm not sure I understand how all of the contents of a file could have been lost like that. Good luck on that.

I don't know that much about Berkeley's program other than what I've heard here and a few of my friends' opinions, but the campus is really nice, and the University district has a really great vibe. Plus, you're right near SF! So, if things don't work out this year, I think it's definitely worth it to consider reapplying.

Mar 16, 11 3:38 pm  · 
 · 
beezely

It's a shame to judge a program on the admin coordinator because you will, in fact, never, ever have to deal with him or her again.

I got a call from Geri at the GSD about an acceptance, and you know what? The tuition there is 5x what I would pay in Austin as a Texas resident. Geri, she's a super lady, but I think no more highly of the GSD than I did before I heard her sweet voice.

I also think no less of Texas. UT is a gorgeous school, laid back in a lot of ways, and Austin is beyond incredible.

Mar 16, 11 4:07 pm  · 
 · 
comehome

Anybody heard from Cornell? I looked on gradcafe and there seemed to be only a few folks there. Should I be hopeful still?

Mar 16, 11 4:14 pm  · 
 · 
johnlem87

mr. minimal - Yes, it was made jokingly. What did your status say on the Austin website and where was it located??? It seems like they're getting to this pretty slowly.

Mar 16, 11 4:51 pm  · 
 · 
LHaak

GSD financial aid package arrived in the mail today (brooklyn, NY)

Mar 16, 11 4:58 pm  · 
 · 
are you Swick?

@LHaak,

thanks for the update - tha'ts what i've been waiting for. Did they help you out very much?

Mar 16, 11 5:00 pm  · 
 · 
reverie

sent a mail to UT austin both to department & admissions yesterday,
Got a reply that I am waitlisted (MArch postprof with concentration in Urban design) & that they have sent the information by post already.
Will have to wait till april mid :(

Have WashU MUD in hand ..
Waiting to hear from UC Berkeley & UCLA

Mar 16, 11 5:11 pm  · 
 · 
LHaak

@are you Swick?

actually i was very disappointed. only some workstudy and the max amount for subsidized and unsubsidized loans.

Mar 16, 11 5:18 pm  · 
 · 
Franklsw

anyone hear from MIT lately... i looked at last years results and it seems they really dragged the process on for both admitted and rejected people. I got into UCLA and Columbia, and both want responses before April 15th, and would love to see what MIT says.

Mar 16, 11 5:27 pm  · 
 · 
jamesherm

@johnlem87

The blue bar under your name/address/etc. that said something like:
'We've received all the necessary materials...Your application has been sent to the Graduate Committee for review.'

changed to:
"We're pleased to inform you that you've been accepted to The University of Texas at Austin. It's a pleasure to welcome you as a graduate student."

Mar 16, 11 5:33 pm  · 
 · 
arketkt

@comehome,

I called Cornell last Thursday and was told that some will be hearing back Friday and the rest will hear "early next week" but it's already Wednesday so I'm not sure what's going on.

Mar 16, 11 6:09 pm  · 
 · 
comehome

Thanks arketkt! I really want to know.
@Franklsw: same here

Mar 16, 11 7:21 pm  · 
 · 
are you Swick?

how did GSD "not receive my FAFSA" (rhetorical)... I have a dated receipt from 2 weeks before the deadline: correct school code, no missing information, electronic signature etc.

Does this mean they've already given all the aid available, and i'm just going to miss out? Or do they have reserves that they will tap into when they realize they have my form already?

This is ridiculous. Really want to go to GSD, can't go unless they give me money. This is worse than waiting for the admissions results.

Mar 16, 11 8:19 pm  · 
 · 
Laurem

FYI for anyone waiting, Yale Financial Aid letter came today (in Brooklyn, NY)

Mar 16, 11 8:23 pm  · 
 · 
Beepbeep

anyone hear back from UC DEnver yet?????

Mar 16, 11 9:46 pm  · 
 · 
pclaystudio

@franklsw
speaking of mit. I applied into the media lab and didn't get in. I suppose my time in santiago calatrava's office didn't give me enough techincal experience and knowledge of dynamic structures.
still waiting for the results on Smarchs

Mar 16, 11 10:38 pm  · 
 · 
jetvancake

@ laurem, how was it?

Mar 16, 11 10:54 pm  · 
 · 
aag2022

I just got an invitation to SCI-arcs open house, but haven't heard from them yet about admission... wtf?

Mar 16, 11 11:03 pm  · 
 · 
hosa777

@aag2022....i got the same mail too !!! Its funny how the call you to their open house but are delaying on sending their decision.

Mar 16, 11 11:54 pm  · 
 · 
psjp

Is anyone that still hasn't heard from UCLA still going to their open house?

Mar 17, 11 2:17 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: