Archinect
anchor

2011 M.Arch applicants, commiserate here!

Franklsw

Anyone apply to UCLA? I got an email that was "informal" im wondering why there arent more posts on grad cafe.

Any help?

Mar 9, 11 10:10 pm  · 
 · 
ramus

@ Franklsw

I got the same "informal" acceptance email, I don't know.
There's also no rejection posts from UCLA on gradcafe.

Mar 9, 11 10:20 pm  · 
 · 
rcvino

FYI, although I have not seen anyone talking about it, Berkeley just sent me a letter of acceptance to their MARCH I Program. Unlike the other cryptic emails from YSOA and GSAPP, it said "Congratulations!" as its subject.

Good luck!

Mar 10, 11 1:42 am  · 
 · 
ext architect

@Anyone who's waiting to hear from Cornell-

'Admissions decisions will be released mid to late March.'

And Berkeley after April 1st.

Anyone know about Rice? I mailed them and called, there's no reply yet.

Mar 10, 11 1:45 am  · 
 · 
maryagnes

@ TheSign - thanks for the Cornell update. Very helpful...

Are programs really notifying people this late at night? I've seen several new posts on grad cafe, and "rcvino" just received a letter of acceptance from Berkeley. Should I be staying up late to check status of my apps? I guess I'm just wondering if people are just now seeing their emails, or if they're actually receiving these messages this late at night. Any thoughts?

Mar 10, 11 2:01 am  · 
 · 
arketkt

@TheSign

Where did you hear this from? I don't think I can stand waiting that long...ugh...this has literally been the worst week of my life.

Mar 10, 11 2:08 am  · 
 · 
rcvino

@maryagnes

The email came through at 10:21 PST, if you can believe it.

This is just speculation but: It's possible that they are sending out the "informal acceptance letters" alphabetically. I know that with UCLA, my friend heard from them 8 hours after I had. His last name starts with an "S". With so many applicants, it may take time "auto-send" the email with PDF attachments (that's a lot of data). I'd go get a good nights rest, and check in the morning.

Mar 10, 11 2:36 am  · 
 · 
jamesherm

c'mon arktekt. maybe this is out of line, if waiting on acceptances to grad school makes for literally the worst week of your life, you're doing pretty well.

Mar 10, 11 2:37 am  · 
 · 
qdpv

hey that's quite funny about berkeley. i dropped by their architecture library earlier to read through some periodicals when i came across an old professor of mine. he asked me if i had heard back from grad schools already, and after i told him that i did he immediately talked to other faculty on the admissions team and, i guess, decided to send out the emails. explains why it came out so late..

Mar 10, 11 3:19 am  · 
 · 
Galo

To all that are wondering about MIT. I think those posts on Gradcafe are legit. I got a call from Nader Terhani last friday congratulating me on my acceptance, but I still have yet to receive any emails or regular mail packages.

Mar 10, 11 6:10 am  · 
 · 
reverie

Got through Washington Univ st.Louis, Masters in Urban design.
Happy to have secured a place after 3 rejections.

waiting to hear from 4 more universities.

Mar 10, 11 7:13 am  · 
 · 
pclaystudio

@galo did you apply into the Smarchs program?

Mar 10, 11 9:01 am  · 
 · 
Token AE

I got a missed call from a blocked number yesterday evening when my phone was dead- have I lost my mind if I think that this was a school?

Two rejections and still no word on MArch I from Minnesota, Berkeley, UCLA, and UPenn. Last name starts with a W.

Mar 10, 11 9:04 am  · 
 · 
ext architect

@maryagnes and arketekt - I mailed Cornell to ask them about the admission decisions and got the updates in reply.

And as for Bekeley is concerned, I called them after a failed attempt to get any information via mail.

Also, the ones who are getting rejected- are the Schools being specific about the reason for rejections. I got a rejection from Michigan, Ann Arbor for M Arch II. It was an upfront rejection but no reason. Would it help to ask them for specifics? Like it may be my TOEFL score (100 is the target and I got 99).

Mar 10, 11 9:51 am  · 
 · 
aag2022

Do we think Berkeley sent acceptances out all at once or in waves? Its my tops choice, and I'm assuming no news = rejection :(

Mar 10, 11 9:57 am  · 
 · 
Token AE

@aag

Your archinect username follows the same format as a PSU ID.

Are you a fellow PSU student, by any chance?

Mar 10, 11 10:10 am  · 
 · 
bsh3

@cjw5027

odd i got a blocked called both nights in a row the past 2 nights too. but was already asleep i'm on east coast time...hmm. did u answer yours?

and i rarely get blocked calls maybe i should answer haha
i also applied to ucla n berkeley

Mar 10, 11 10:22 am  · 
 · 
Token AE

@bsh

Like you, I am on east coast in Philadelphia and never receive blocked calls.

I received two yesterday- one I answered but immediately lost service on my commute home (go AT&T!) and the other occured when my phone was off.

Let's hope that there is more to this than me grasping at straws

Mar 10, 11 10:26 am  · 
 · 
aag2022

Nah but it was my undergrad id system as well. I went to columbia

Mar 10, 11 10:35 am  · 
 · 
maryagnes

Decided to go to bed and give it a rest. Turned my computer on first thing this morning, and nothing new. Aaagghh! My status on WUSTL says "No current status. Please check back later." I guess that's better than an all-out rejection for now. But it's certainly not keeping me from refreshing the page at a speed that would put a woodpecker to shame. :) Sorry - feeling a bit obnoxious today...

Mar 10, 11 11:04 am  · 
 · 
fhty

For the people who got into GSD with a 4 year architecture background:

Did you get put into Advanced Placement if you got in?

And how many people got into MArch I non-AP with a 4 year arch undergrad?

Mar 10, 11 11:18 am  · 
 · 
ya2

I have 4-year arch undergrad from UToronto, and didn't get AP from GSD. I wouldn't ask for AP anyway - I'd rather use all the time I get at a place like that.

Mar 10, 11 11:34 am  · 
 · 
aag2022

To those who got in at Berkeley, any word on the preview weekend? on the very off chance i got in, I'd rather not wait till last minute to think about traveling...

Mar 10, 11 11:48 am  · 
 · 
sasazuka

@aag2022

UCB open studio event thing is 4/4

Mar 10, 11 11:50 am  · 
 · 
aag2022

THanks! Now i just pray that they are still sending out acceptances!

Mar 10, 11 11:52 am  · 
 · 
mitboi

@ya2, can you share ur utoronto portfolio? thanks :)

Mar 10, 11 11:52 am  · 
 · 
jetvancake

@ccciiiccciiiccc

Got in to GSD MArch I (7 semester no AP) w/ 4 year BA in Art & Art History.

Mar 10, 11 11:58 am  · 
 · 
fhty

I have a 4 year undergrad degree and applied for MArch I non AP. They looked at my application and decided to put me into the AP pool and then reject me.

I called Admissions and they told me that the 25 or so kids in AP this year all have 4 year undergrad degrees, but the rest in non AP (what, like 50ish?) have mostly non-arch backgrounds. That I have a hard time believing.

Mar 10, 11 12:04 pm  · 
 · 
are you Swick?

@ ccc

Non-AP @ GSD; 4 year BS in Arch from Michigan, 2 solid years work experience.

Mar 10, 11 12:10 pm  · 
 · 
CThomas

Im in AP for GSD, I have a 3yr undergrad from Cambridge. But the UK course is just architecture- 3 full years of studio, structures, history, theory, environment and construction. Then I did 2 years full time in 2 architecture practices. Seemed to be enough.

Mar 10, 11 12:14 pm  · 
 · 
fhty

@ are you Swick?

I have a BS in Arch from GA Tech, with 1.5 years of work experience with realized projects (in China).

It's not b/c I got rejected in the most roundabout way, it's b/c they, Jill Harrington and Geri Nederhoff, tell me I was "ineligible for non-AP" and that's how it is for everyone.

Instead they reject me from a program I didn't apply to.

Mar 10, 11 12:18 pm  · 
 · 
fhty

"ineligible for non-AP" because it would be "unfair to people with non-arch backgrounds"

Mar 10, 11 12:21 pm  · 
 · 
are you Swick?

@ ccc,

I guess I can sort of understand where they're coming from... but it's a damn shame that you don't get the opportunity because you're right in the milieu between over-qualified and not-quite qualified enough... kind of B.S.

Mar 10, 11 12:30 pm  · 
 · 
johnlem87

Has anyone had the same issue of not getting on the Wash U page?

Mar 10, 11 12:52 pm  · 
 · 
fhty

@ are you Swick?

Yes of course. I understand their logic or doing so- if only they actually stuck with it. You and and ya2 are probably not in the minority of people with 4 year arch degrees in non AP.

I would've appreciated it if they just told me I was rejected from non AP directly instead of trying to convince me of a standard procedure that they obviously don't follow.

Not nice, Harvard!

Mar 10, 11 12:53 pm  · 
 · 
gregarious

Got into Berkeley! Received email at midnight titled "Congratulations" with pdf letters.

Also got into UCLA through the 'informal' email going around.

Why does Berkeley and UPenn's open house have to be on the same day? :3

Mar 10, 11 1:06 pm  · 
 · 
aag2022

@gregarious how do you know when upenns open house is? have you gotton in already?

Mar 10, 11 1:08 pm  · 
 · 
ramus

@ccciiiccciiiccc

This explains so much.
But how is it that some applicants with 4 year undergrad arch are in non AP ?

I totally agree though, would have appreciated if they'd stated that clearly. How did you find out the process your application went through (AP->rejection, dismiss for non AP); Did you call or via web?

Mar 10, 11 1:13 pm  · 
 · 
Franklsw

@aag2022

Its posted on their website somewhere... april 4th, i cant find it again but did once.

Mar 10, 11 1:20 pm  · 
 · 
maryagnes

@johnlem87 - I'm getting on the Wash U page just fine, but it just keeps saying that the Admission Decision has no current status, and that I need to check back later. So frustrating. I wish all schools would just let everyone know at the same time, like some of the others have.

@ccciiiccciiiccc - (nice screen name, by the way) From what I've understood, most of the schools have made it clear that AP status is something that you have to request to be considered for, not something that you were automatically considered for because of your undergrad degree. That really sucks that they did that to you - I'm sorry.

Mar 10, 11 1:22 pm  · 
 · 
Jumperman18

Just got into Columbia MSAUD

Mar 10, 11 1:23 pm  · 
 · 
johnlem87

i need a drink.

Mar 10, 11 1:26 pm  · 
 · 
maryagnes

@johnlem87 - Cheers. I'm with you.

Mar 10, 11 1:29 pm  · 
 · 
fhty

@ramaLAMA

"But how is it that some applicants with 4 year undergrad arch are in non AP ? "

Yeah that's what I'd like to know. You should call them to ask.

Mar 10, 11 1:30 pm  · 
 · 
johnlem87

@ccciiiccciiiccc

Some 4 year undergrad arch programs aren't accredited - as mine wasn't yet (is in the grueling, disgusting process for three years now) - I have to fight to get into an advanced program! Admissions, at this point, could really care less about the situation though. I still haven't heard from A school yet. They do not make any of this easy!

@maryagnes

I hope you're not at work like I am... I'm seriously considering hitting a bar on a longer-than-usual break haha. Anyone in the Boston area ha?

Mar 10, 11 1:41 pm  · 
 · 
aag2022

I am at work, getting nothing done, wondering why i havent heard from MIT, Berkeley UCLA and SCIarc, all of which have apparently sent out acceptances. But I decided that even if i get rejected from everywhere else, I am stoked about my UMICH acceptance with 10K cash, and umich 2gb usb key ;)

Mar 10, 11 1:45 pm  · 
 · 
elinor

fyi--BS degree holders from certain schools (michigan is one) usually go in with AP. It has to to with the structures/tech courses offered there.

BA degree holders (and probably some BS holders from programs considered less advanced) always go into the regular MArch I programs.

no 4-yr programs are accredited.

Mar 10, 11 1:46 pm  · 
 · 
johnlem87

I haven't heard from any of my five choices yet. Man, the only reason why I applied to schools in the first place was for the flash drives!!! I hope I hear something soon!

On an angry note, I hate grad cafe. I seriously, seriously do.

Mar 10, 11 1:52 pm  · 
 · 
maryagnes

@johnlem87 - nope, not at work. At home, which makes the temptation of a drink all the more difficult to ignore! You see, I could enjoy my morning coffee (which I'm already doing) with a little Baileys or Fra Angelico added, and nobody would be the wiser.

And, even though I've never been to Boston, I'm sure that if I were there, I would already be in a bar. Especially if nothing more than to just get away from the damned computer and stop obsessing. I like the longer-than-usual break idea, though.

Mar 10, 11 2:09 pm  · 
 · 
johnlem87

@maryagnes

Doesn't it feel like our entire future is incredibly uncertain at this point? They should absolutely let everyone hear at the same time haha! Everyone else must be so happy and here I am losing it! I could for sure use a beer, or five. I've definitely never obsessed over something like this EVER! Are you hovering over that Wash U reload button too? "No current status. Please check back later"?

Mar 10, 11 2:22 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: