Archinect
anchor

2011 M.Arch applicants, commiserate here!

bsh3

I know I got that too last night....it's like WTF?? They haven't even sent an admissions decision yet. On their twitter page it said they would be sent in early March.

In regards to UCLA, I haven't heard from them and I'm not going to go it's like why would I go to their open house without an admit response. I already visited in Jan. and I live in the east coast, not gonna fly there just to get declined.

Mar 17, 11 8:17 am  · 
 · 
rcvino

@laurem

Was the YSOA generous?

Mar 17, 11 10:04 am  · 
 · 
Laurem

@jetvancake It is helpful but I will still have to scramble a little. I didn't send in my parents' information so I could only get the lower tier grants.

Is anyone going to the Yale Open House that already went in the fall? I thought it was an admitted students open house but it seems to be very similar to what they had in the fall (for all prospective students). Might skip it and save the time off from work instead.

Mar 17, 11 10:06 am  · 
 · 
LinkOne

@Laurem

Is the aid they offered you renewable, or just a one off? Hope you don't find this too intrusive...

I'll be at the open house, although I wasn't there during the fall. Mostly coz i wanna find out about accomodation and how much financial help is available in the 2nd and 3rd years.

Mar 17, 11 10:16 am  · 
 · 
Franklsw

MIT: I just checked my admission status online and there is a message saying... your admissions status has been mailed to you. Really MIT? just give it to me quickly and painless.

Mar 17, 11 10:20 am  · 
 · 
Laurem

@LinkOne it said I can expect to receive the same amount every year as long as I am keeping up academically. I'm also MArch2 which might change the funding amounts.

I forgot that I wanted to go to the open house to see the options for housing. Arg.

Mar 17, 11 10:31 am  · 
 · 
jetvancake

@Frankslw

MIT, mine says, an admissions decision has been emailed to you.

And its a lie, there is no email from MIT.

Dammit!

Mar 17, 11 10:57 am  · 
 · 
LinkOne

@laurem

cheers

@jetvancake

same. although i swear when i checked it earlier it said "mailed" and not "emailed". I'm obviously going mad. You any closer to deciding where youre headed next year?

Mar 17, 11 11:02 am  · 
 · 
sulawesi

I got an e-mail from MIT confirming that I have been admitted (I got a phone call more than a week ago). The website linked to a letter of acceptance with scholarship info.

Mar 17, 11 11:05 am  · 
 · 
jetvancake

@LinkOne

I got 27k from GSD, twice as good as the second best offer - so thats where I'm thinking. Although, I'm still waiting for Yale's financial aid info and MIT of course.

How about yourself, do you know where you are headed?

Mar 17, 11 11:19 am  · 
 · 
LinkOne

Im pretty certain it will be Yale for me. Hopefully my outside scholarship will come through, so I only need alittle more financial help from the school to make the program viable.

Didnt get into Princeton (which was inevitable) and MIT seems an imminent rejection. Going into this whole thing, Yale was probably my first choice so im more than happy going there.

Congrats on the 27k from GSD and your results in general!

Mar 17, 11 11:27 am  · 
 · 
pclaystudio

Which program at MIT did you guys apply into? I didn't see a note on my online application status

Mar 17, 11 11:38 am  · 
 · 
ArchNL

I have applied to the SMArchS program at MIT. Still the following message:
"An admission decision has been emailed to you" --> NOT YET!!!

Mar 17, 11 11:42 am  · 
 · 
fabisco

got the ax from MIT, still havent heard from UT-Austin, which doesnt look good.
So its either IIT, Pratt or apply next year... any advice?

im sure the education ill get at any school will serve me well and if i am successful, it'll be a reflection of me, not necessarily the school i went to.
but i feel like going to a top tier school will allow you to get a job faster, succeed faster etc...thoughts?

Mar 17, 11 11:45 am  · 
 · 
CThomas

I am definatly going to Princeton, they're offering me 42K where as Harvard was only 7K....how can it be so different!

Mar 17, 11 11:46 am  · 
 · 
pclaystudio

Ok now it says a decision has been emailed and I def didn't receive an email

Mar 17, 11 11:49 am  · 
 · 
jetvancake

Obviously MIT is full of lies.

Mar 17, 11 11:50 am  · 
 · 
Laurem

CThomas I think it's the difference of the size of the programs. Princeton is known for really great financial help. Enjoy Princeton, lovely campus, I grew up nearby.

Mar 17, 11 11:54 am  · 
 · 
johnlem87

MIT: nein

Mar 17, 11 11:55 am  · 
 · 
williamwong

My status on the MIT site has not changed at all since December. I feel like I'm on death row here, just waiting to be executed at the least convenient moment. Although it would appear that I've survived a round of rejection emails, according to gradcafe? So I suppose no news is good news, for the time being...

Mar 17, 11 11:58 am  · 
 · 
Franklsw

@pclaystudio - I am MArch1

@johnlem87 - what program, how did they notify you.

Mine still says mailed... good news? I am sick of this whole process, i just want it to be over.

Mar 17, 11 11:59 am  · 
 · 
pclaystudio

I applied into the Smarchs. Just got the rejection letter. Def leaving the profession. Obvioulsy working for calatrava and som then teaching at va tech isn't good enough for higher education

Mar 17, 11 12:14 pm  · 
 · 
jetvancake

Okay then. Rejected from MIT.

O well, GSD/Yale it is then. :)

Mar 17, 11 12:15 pm  · 
 · 
johnlem87

I thought I was in for sure too, my entire faculty taught there, including my recommenders - but they warned me that the program was changing drastically and weeding out all of the practicality in the profession. I applied for the MArch1 program at MIT... looks like both Oregon and Austin are my last shots.

Good luck!

Mar 17, 11 12:16 pm  · 
 · 
johnlem87

oh... @Franklsw - MArch 1 and email.

Mar 17, 11 12:17 pm  · 
 · 
Franklsw

thank you MIT... its over, ill be going to GSAPP... or not going.

Mar 17, 11 12:22 pm  · 
 · 
ss87

Waitlisted @UT, I received the letter by snail mail today. I was counting on UT really, so this is rather disappointing. Will just have to keep them fingers crossed.

@johnlem87 - no updates from Austin on the website yet?

Mar 17, 11 12:25 pm  · 
 · 
williamwong

aaaand there's the rejection email! Penn it is for me. Good riddance, thank god it's over.

Mar 17, 11 12:27 pm  · 
 · 
johnlem87

@Franklsw - did they email you?

Mar 17, 11 12:28 pm  · 
 · 
johnlem87

@ss87 - still the same ol' "We have received all credentials required to process your application. Your file has been forwarded to the Graduate Committee for review."

I'm really banking on UT so I hope something good happens. Did your status change on the website before you got waitlisted?

Mar 17, 11 12:29 pm  · 
 · 
ss87

@johnlem87 - nope, came out of nowhere. I'm an international student and regular post got here sooner than anything online

Mar 17, 11 12:37 pm  · 
 · 
jpark

dude, we got it. you worked at calatrava. live by the sword, die by the sword.

Mar 17, 11 12:42 pm  · 
 · 
pclaystudio

@jpark
i suppose you are familiar with the tyrannical ways of calatrava.
by the sword is no joke

Mar 17, 11 12:46 pm  · 
 · 
Underslept

I'm still waiting on UT... I think i's either rejection or waitlist at this point but who knows. Of the schools that I applied to, they have by far the strangest admissions procedure.

Mar 17, 11 12:47 pm  · 
 · 
Franklsw

@johnlem87 - yeah no link, first sentence had a sorry in it.

Mar 17, 11 1:01 pm  · 
 · 
NYer

@justaddwater57
I'll see you at Penn's open house in April...may ask if they were generous in your aid package? They haven't given me near enough.

Mar 17, 11 1:07 pm  · 
 · 
aag2022

Those waiting on SCI-arc, just spoke with their admissions office, and was told that decisions will be emailed by tomorrow and mailed out next week.

Apparently the open house invitation was sent out broadly to give us a "heads up" so that we know to be on call in case we are admitted.

Personally one week isnt enough notice to fly out to LA from NY, especially when i'll be visiting Michigan that weekend anyway.

Mar 17, 11 2:03 pm  · 
 · 
ARCHERY

How does the competition seem to be compared to last year?

Also, what expectations do people have for the competition for next year?

Mar 17, 11 2:55 pm  · 
 · 
||||

has anyone been rejected from ucla? looks like they might blast all the rejects at once. i find it odd...considering i got into some good schools (with aid). just curious to know if there are others in the same boat.

Mar 17, 11 3:40 pm  · 
 · 
bsh3

@MTorres

how do u know that? I don't even think they have sent acceptances yet...

Mar 17, 11 4:29 pm  · 
 · 
aag2022

@bsh3 check out

http://thegradcafe.com/survey/index.php?q=ucla+architecture&t=a&pp=25

people got "informal notifications" via email on the 9th...

Mar 17, 11 4:32 pm  · 
 · 
eagle9

Waitlisted at Cornell. They are in the mail....

Mar 17, 11 4:38 pm  · 
 · 
bsh3

yeah but that was for the 3 yr program. i'm waiting for the 2 yr post professional degree program.

Mar 17, 11 4:44 pm  · 
 · 
aag2022

good point. I hadn't noticed that.

Mar 17, 11 4:48 pm  · 
 · 
||||

@bsh3

im referring to m.arch 3yr

friends of mine have been notified via email and/or phone

Mar 17, 11 5:42 pm  · 
 · 
m2p

I just received an acceptance package in the mail for University of Washington, Seattle (UW) for M.Arcd I (3 years).

I didn't get a phone call or an email before this and I live in Seattle.

Mar 17, 11 6:00 pm  · 
 · 
rcvino

@ARCHERY

See link below for an article regarding competition, solely in relation to numbers of applicants. At YSOA, there was a slightly smaller number of applicants this year v. last year, but they also accepted a smaller class than the prior year.

It's difficult to necessarily judge the relative competition of applications without some inside knowledge in the selection process, which I am not sure anyone here has access to.

As stated in the article, many people panicked with the mass layoffs that were occurring (and continue to occur) at the time. I think we saw a smaller draw of people applying, including a drop in individuals outside of architecture entering the field (this is speculation).

http://www.yaledailynews.com/news/2011/feb/01/more-than-900-seek-spots-at-architecture-school/

Mar 17, 11 7:13 pm  · 
 · 
williamwong

@NYer, i got $9k from Penn. It's a relatively modest amount, and I'll be saddled with loans after graduation, but it's still free money, so I can't really complain. It's also more money than I got from Columbia 2 years ago when i was accepted there, so I have no idea how to judge the amount of aid I got. I know endowments are down at a lot of schools but I have no idea what's an "average" aid package, or how many people usually get close to a full ride at these places. i'm just happy to be going to a school I'm excited about.

Mar 18, 11 1:27 am  · 
 · 
johnlem87

@frankslw - first sentence was pretty cruel huh? they didn't even try to ease their way into it... just a straight shot NO! pretty lame... especially when I live two blocks from the school and just <<interviewed>> NADER TEHRANI at my work this past week (tries too hard) for a new residence hall... and... HA... nope. School denied my boss fourteen years ago as well so it kind of makes me feel a bit better :)

Mar 18, 11 1:56 am  · 
 · 
RWoods

Has anybody Heard from USC yet?

Mar 18, 11 9:51 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: