Archinect
anchor

2011 M.Arch applicants, commiserate here!

steel-77

Did anyone go to UT's Open House?

Mar 27, 11 4:36 pm  · 
 · 
jamesherm

@steel-77

yeah, i went, and it was excellent. at the reception and happy hour afterwards, i talked to numerous people who had decided to attend UT over GSD/MIT/Columbia etc. on the strength of the open house.

i think we were all pretty blown away by the faculty, students, programs, facilities, and overall atmosphere. i personally had pretty high expectations going in, but they were all wildly exceeded.

i'm going to a few more open houses in NYC and Cambridge, but honestly I don't think they stand much of a chance after what I saw in Austin.

let me know if you have any specific questions about it, though.

Mar 27, 11 5:36 pm  · 
 · 
Jordan13

@mr. minimal- unfortunately I missed the UT open house...I'd really like to know more about the impression you received. Overall it sounds really positive. Are you considering UT now over other schools? I'm a Texas native but went to undergrad in california. I'm not very familiar with their program. I'm also going to columbia's open house, and I've visited philadephia already. Basically I'm trying to decide if it worth missing school/work to go check out UTSOA before April 15th. Any advice/suggestions? Any other info you want to rely about the program would be greatly appreciated!

Mar 27, 11 6:24 pm  · 
 · 
Sananda

@ bsh 3- yes..to USC I had applied for Master of Building Science. But all that apart, I'm really hoping to hear from UCLA (where I've applied for M.Arch post prof)...I searched the gradcafe index, didnt find ANY M.Arch post prof acceptance/rejection entries..that sorta baffled me! All entries are M.Arch- 3 yrs. Are you any better off with information in this regard?

Mar 28, 11 1:00 am  · 
 · 
Sananda

Is anyone able to log in to the UCLA application status website??? I'm unable to do so since Saturday! There seems to be some problem with the page...:(..or is it just my luck!?

Mar 28, 11 4:19 am  · 
 · 
NYer

Parsons or Penn? Decisions, decisions.

Mar 28, 11 8:18 am  · 
 · 
johnlem87

@maryagnes - I still haven't heard from UT. I'd be really disappointed if I missed the open house because I'm waitlisted. But... i'm still waiting.
What about you??? Any good news?

Mar 28, 11 12:09 pm  · 
 · 
kas2

@ihatefish87... I'm having the exact same issue! ahh what's going on!

Mar 28, 11 1:30 pm  · 
 · 
Sananda

@ kas- Ah, join the bandwagon! I checked again a few hours back..they gave a message saying that the site's under maintenance. Now, they're showing the same old message though- no decision taken. Urgh! How much longer?!?!?!?:X:X:X:X:X

Mar 28, 11 1:33 pm  · 
 · 
kas2

Maybe I will call them and ask ... I'm becoming completely neurotic about this!

Mar 28, 11 1:37 pm  · 
 · 
maryagnes

@johnlem87 - Still no news on the wait lists (Cornell and Syracuse), but I got in to UC Denver. Not my top choice, that's for sure, but at least it's an in. Still waiting on UW and Rensselaer - uggh!

Do you think you'll wait around for UT much longer, or do you think you'll just accept Oregon's acceptance? It's such a nasty game, don't you think? Waiting around while they play us like puppets...

I'm really hoping to be pulled off of Cornell's wait list. We'll see. This discussion has really slowed down, and I feel so left out still waiting to hear back from some schools while everyone else is attending open houses.

Well, if we both end up in the Northwest, we'll have to meet in the middle and have some good ol' Guinness floats to celebrate our "victories". On break, of course, because we'll never have time otherwise.

Mar 28, 11 1:49 pm  · 
 · 
Sananda

@maryagnes- well at least you guys have the option of GOING to these open houses...people like us, i mean to say international students like myself, we just sit all day obsessively refreshing our gmail and the forum web pages to get more information on what's going on!:P

Mar 28, 11 1:53 pm  · 
 · 
maryagnes

@ihatefish87 - where are you located? I guess that would be really frustrating to be so far away. If it makes you feel any better, I sit and do the same thing obsessively all day as well.

Mar 28, 11 2:03 pm  · 
 · 
Sananda

@maryagnes- :) Across the seas..India. I wonder if there's a course like: MRW-Masters in Refreshing Webpage...we would'ce certainly got in with a full ride!(full scholarship I mean):P:P

Mar 28, 11 2:19 pm  · 
 · 
maryagnes

@ihatefish87 - hahahaha! Yes, we would not only have gotten full rides, but we would all be ready to graduate as well, I suspect!

Mar 28, 11 2:21 pm  · 
 · 
steel-77

I have been told that I am on a waiting list to possibly receive a scholarship depending on who accepts their offer or not. Does anyone know if this is just something they say to people and probably not a strictly ordered list? I have not officially accepted b/c I'm afraid it will make them less likely to feel the need to give me money. Is this a valid fear?

Mar 28, 11 3:25 pm  · 
 · 
kas2

ok the site is working for me now... but there's nothing up !!

Mar 28, 11 3:28 pm  · 
 · 
jamesherm

@Jordan13

the UT open house was great. i would recommend checking out UT for sure, and if you can get a minute with the graduate advisor, Richard Cleary, or the graduate dean, Kevin Alter, they're both really sincere guys who will give you very candid answers about the program (even contrasted with other schools).

i'm deciding between UT and MIT, and after the open house i'm 99% sure i'm going to UT.

Mar 28, 11 6:56 pm  · 
 · 
aag2022

just got into U of utah.. with half tuition, 3k a semester and immediate qualification as in-state even though im from out of state. Am i crazy for turning that down to go to UMich???

Mar 28, 11 9:46 pm  · 
 · 
Sananda

Zzzzzz....

Mar 29, 11 2:46 pm  · 
 · 
maryagnes

@ihatefish87 - I second that. Why can't all of the schools be prompt about this process?

Mar 29, 11 3:25 pm  · 
 · 
Sananda

'Cause they are in the "Zzzzzz..." mode now!:P

Mar 29, 11 3:27 pm  · 
 · 
ArchiStriker

Hello all,

I have been admitted to the 3-year master's program at the University of Miami, and am still waiting to hear from U Washington. Also, I am on the waitlist at Clemson. Can anyone give me more advice as to which program would be ideal? I have seen that Miami can be very traditional in their teachings and with the New Urbanism ideals, I feel I may be pushed in a distinct direction in becoming an architect, rather than given the freedom to become my own creative and unique designer...? ANY info or advice is much appreciated.

To put it simply, I am fearful of obtaining a degree from Miami without having learned much more than traditional architecture and New Urbanism concepts, and then finding it difficult to practice architecture with the freedom of creativity and modern design I desire. I have also read that it may be hard to find a job with a firm unless they are New Urbanists just like Miami.

Mar 30, 11 2:32 am  · 
 · 
maryagnes

@ArchiStriker - no advice on Miami, but you too are waiting on UW, huh? I am as well. I called last week, and they said that they would have all answers sent out via postal mail or email by this Thursday (tomorrow), and if you haven't heard from them by then, you can call to find out the decision.

Good luck on getting advice regarding Miami vs. Clemson. I know virtually nothing about either program. Sorry!

Mar 30, 11 1:04 pm  · 
 · 
myosotis

Hi! I'm a first time poster, though I've been similarly obsessive as many of you checking the site as admissions decisions trickle in, it has been agony.

At long last though, I've been wait-listed at Sci-Arc, accepted to CCA, and accepted to UT. The Ivy's (Harvard, Yale in my case) and Pratt all denied me (boo), and UW has been a silent Sam.

But hey, UT!... but I'm still intrigued by the other two. So...

@mr. minimal....and others who would oblige and chime in

what specifically is it about UT that will likely trump MIT for you (mr. minimal)? I'm trying to decide between drastically different schools, and as I sadly missed the Open House at UT, though I will be visiting again shortly, I am really interested by the details that made the Open House so enticing for you. Sci-Arc offers a unique perspective with some serious Columbia echoes as far as I can tell. But, UT is #5 right after MIT according to some rankings for good reason I presume. Though, it seems tough to even compare Sci-Arc to UT, I'd love it if someone who isn't in my brain could try to productively contrast them. Also, anyone who has strong opinions about CCA, I'd really like to hear them. Thanks for your input!

Mar 30, 11 6:16 pm  · 
 · 
xactly

just received notification of my acceptance via website from RPI.

i'll have to see how much they will offer though...it would have to be a heck of a lot for me to give up upenn.

pretty late notice considering they begin at the end of may...

Mar 30, 11 8:12 pm  · 
 · 
kas2

does anyone know anything about newschool in san diego?

Mar 30, 11 11:06 pm  · 
 · 
NYer

@xactly: was UPenn generous in their aid? Will you be attending the open house on Monday?

Mar 30, 11 11:10 pm  · 
 · 
jamesherm

@myosotis

regarding UT vs. MIT: that's a complicated question, and i'm honestly not sure how useful my answer would be to you, since it reflects countless factors that are unique to my situation.

though i applied to some highly ranked schools (and some less so), i put very little stock in rankings, especially given the small population and incredibly subjective nature of design education programs. as has been discussed at length before, this year's design intelligence rankings were highly suspect (michigan jumping from outside the top 20 to #1, etc.).

that said, if you have any specific questions about UT or the open house, i'd be happy to try to answer them. i can't speak to UT vs. Sci-Arc though, because the work done at Sci-Arc is about as far from my interests as it gets.

Mar 30, 11 11:34 pm  · 
 · 
little.orange.strip

only application was to the university of washington 3 year. i got in the other day.

Mar 31, 11 9:27 am  · 
 · 
Sananda

@ kas2- any news regarding UCLA? Gradcafe is still silent.

Mar 31, 11 11:31 am  · 
 · 
maryagnes

@little.orange.strip - did you call or get your uw acceptance via postal mail?

Mar 31, 11 12:16 pm  · 
 · 
kas2

@ihatefish87... I called them on tuesday. They said that they were "hopeful" that the admissions decisions would be up by the end of the first week in april.... fingers crossed!

Mar 31, 11 1:14 pm  · 
 · 
Sananda

@ kas2- Thanks for the update!:)

Mar 31, 11 1:16 pm  · 
 · 
johnlem87

@maryagnes - I'm sending out my acceptance/deposit for UO tomorrow morning. Making people wait like this is disgusting and irresponsible. Congrats on Denver!!! I have a friend living there now and he is in love with it. I hope you get into Cornell... the wait list game is though and cruel, because many people do take a long time to decide where they're going to be for the next era of their lives. If you're in the NE, we will for sure have to meet somewhere and celebrate our new victories!!!

Hey, I actually want to know more about Eugene. I'm beginning to a get a bit nervous after doing some research, and finding a lot more negative comments than positive. I know moving away to grad school is what I want... but shit, I'm going to miss this beautiful city!

-Johnny

Mar 31, 11 2:49 pm  · 
 · 
johnlem87

*tough and cruel...

Mar 31, 11 2:49 pm  · 
 · 
xactly

@NYer

Penn was not so generous towards me: 5K
RPI: unknown. I have to either call them for an early breakdown of the numbers or wait for the packet.

But I'm still immensely grateful for just getting in! I only applied to 4 places, MIT and GSAPP being the two rejections.

And no open house for me. I have a couple of pals who are already there and can answer my my questions. The plane trip from CA is bit too much for me at the moment.

Best of luck to you.

Mar 31, 11 9:59 pm  · 
 · 
maryagnes

@johnlem87 - received my rejection email from UW last night. I'm pretty crushed by this one, actually. So, I won't be joining you in the great Pacific Northwest. Yes, the wait list process is cruel and truly punishing. I really want a spot at Cornell, but I know there are others as well, so we'll see.

If you want to know more about Eugene, I would love to tell you more about it (and the Northwest in general). Also, if you know anything about Denver's program, I would love to hear that as well. Shoot me an email, and we can talk more about it without wasting precious discussion space. God only knows how verbose I can be!

Apr 1, 11 12:28 pm  · 
 · 
p_11_tx

Got an email from USC today. I'm in + $$$

Apr 1, 11 5:29 pm  · 
 · 
hosa777

@p_11_tx......was it for the two year m arch or the year and a half m arch ?

Apr 1, 11 5:45 pm  · 
 · 
p_11_tx

@hosa777...... two year.

Apr 1, 11 6:05 pm  · 
 · 
berg6

2 year program acceptance at USC as well as some money on top

Apr 1, 11 9:16 pm  · 
 · 
Arfaei

I got into pratt, ccny, and sci-arc, Have not heard from usc.have they sent all the acceptance e-mails?(Deciding to go to pratt until other decisions come out maybe it will change)
Has anyone heard from UCLA, Arlington (wont go anyways, was my emergency school), Rensselaer and pomona yet?

Apr 2, 11 6:20 am  · 
 · 
jason_sf

We should hear back from UCLA by the end of next week...at least that's what they told me over the phone.

Apr 2, 11 2:01 pm  · 
 · 
fabisco

so my options are as follows after a number of rejections...

Virgina Tech or Pratt (got into IIT as well but its very unlikely I will go there)

I know VTech was "ranked" in the top ten a couple years ago, and its undergrad is highly ranked, as well as Pratt's. But that doesn't really say much to a prospective student.

Wanted to know what you guys have heard/think of these schools.
They seem markedly different.

I'm leaning to Vtech probably cause of those rankings i try not to buy into but cant help, and because i was just never impressed with pratt when i was researching it. (no grad arch website, dont really know whats going on there etc)

good luck making decisions all

Apr 2, 11 10:37 pm  · 
 · 
aag2022

not impressed with Wash U after the open house... anyone else just get a bad vibe?

Apr 2, 11 11:25 pm  · 
 · 
ss87

@aag2022 - What was unfavorable? I didnt attend as I'm an international student but WashU is on my choice list now, would like to know your opinion on the open house!

Apr 2, 11 11:49 pm  · 
 · 
aag2022

I guess the biggest thing that struck me was that the faculty kept saying the same thing over and over again about their "holistic" and "integrative" approach to architectural pedagogy, and but then they would go on to describe things happening in a way that seemed very compartmentalized and segregated. It was almost as if they thought if they said it enough, it would be true.

Then there was just something about the "social" feel of the place that felt more like a frat/sorority than a grad school.

Apr 3, 11 1:25 am  · 
 · 
LandMass

I got an acceptance email from Pratt April 1st w/ no monies :(

I read somewhere in this thread that it is possible to receive money after the fact by appealing to the right people. Is there any truth this rumor?

I really don't know how I am going to pay for Pratt with no help.

Side note: I also called UCLA a couple weeks ago and received the same information as most everyone else: Rolling admission process, should hear from them next week (1'st week of April)

Apr 3, 11 4:08 pm  · 
 · 
Sipe12

@ mr. minimal

Congrats on your successful applications! You got into IIT and I'm extremely jealous...that was my first choice by far, loved the school, professors, city, connections, but in the end was...denied. Would love to see your portfolio/credentials to see where I need to aim for hopeful admittance next year!

Apr 3, 11 4:54 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: