Archinect
anchor

2011 M.Arch applicants, commiserate here!

jamesherm

@Sipe12

I posted all my stuff to the results thread except the portfolio (see the conversation on page 6).

If I can help any other way, let me know and I'd be happy to.

Apr 4, 11 12:07 am  · 
 · 
jamesherm

anyone else really surprised at how shitty the parsons open house was?

Apr 5, 11 12:45 am  · 
 · 
Sananda

UCLA still no news...:(

Apr 5, 11 12:57 am  · 
 · 
NYer

@mr. minimal, can you elaborate on Parsons? I missed their own house in favor of Penn's.

Apr 5, 11 7:57 am  · 
 · 

if anyone is coming to Cambridge (MA, not UK) for open houses, feel free to drop me a line. I live close to Harvard/MIT and can easily be convinced to grab a beer.

Apr 5, 11 8:07 am  · 
 · 
jamesherm

@NYer

It was a number of things, really, but the studio space is tiny and way too cramped (one 30x54 desk per person, that's it) because interior design and lighting are in the same room, they talk way too much about the goddamn lighting design program, the facilities are really crappy (tiny ill-equipped woodshop, terrible tiny computer labs that the current students called 'really shitty'), it was damn near impossible to get a straight answer about tuition for those who didn't already know, and most of all, it seemed like they were really trying to keep the nighttime studio closure thing a secret. When it was brought up to David Leven, he and the other directors looked extremely pissed off that the question had been asked, and there were audible gasps from the prospective students.

Also it seemed a lot more like a Parsons cheerleading session than a candid open house for those trying to make an informed decision.

But for the record, studios at Parsons are closed (you get kicked out) from 2 am - 8 am. How they expect their students to be competitive with other schools when they can't access their own work 25% of the time is beyond me.

Apr 5, 11 11:36 am  · 
 · 
hosa777

@ihatefish87......spoke to UCLA yesterday.......she said another two weeks :(
these guys are really pushing now !!!

Apr 5, 11 1:55 pm  · 
 · 
psjp

@hosa777 are you kidding? if they are going to reject us why not do it now?

Apr 5, 11 1:59 pm  · 
 · 
hosa777

@psjp......i dont know !!! I was looking at gradcafe entries and other universities had started sending their decision since February 4 and UCLA has still not made them. They had their admission deadline in December.

Apr 5, 11 2:08 pm  · 
 · 
bsh3

WHAT THE HELL!!! Did they give a reason when you talked to them over the phone?? Seriously, the April 15 deadline is coming up they are complete a*holes in my opinion now.

Apr 5, 11 2:23 pm  · 
 · 
kas2

wow... I can't believe UCLA applications are taking so long! did they offer any explanation?
has anyone heard anything from cal poly pomona?

Apr 5, 11 2:33 pm  · 
 · 
Sananda

@ hosa777- I can't help but laugh. 2 more weeks!? What on earth are they doing with our applications since mid December?! Recycling them into roles of toilet paper and then testing which ones clean their ass the best (as bhs3 quotes- "complete a*holes")?!Umm...ignore the metaphor, I don't think I am making even the tiniest bit of sense now, in the frustrated and irritated mood that I am! Grrr....

@psjp- I share the same sentiments.

Apr 5, 11 2:37 pm  · 
 · 
berg6

I literally just called (UCLA) and they told me end of the week. I'm guessing its more like they are just pulling dates out of their a** to get people off the phone.

Apr 5, 11 5:44 pm  · 
 · 
hosa777

The person on the phone gave no explanation. Looks like she has no clue about whats happening !!! I visited UCLA in early January and they were sorting out the applications then, so i am wondering what they are doing ? I agree with ihatefish87....looks like they are recycling them !!!

Apr 5, 11 7:33 pm  · 
 · 
linesoflight

in regards to UCLA, i received an offer of admission on the 9th of last month, so maybe they are sending out notifications in very elongated batches.

Apr 5, 11 7:44 pm  · 
 · 
bsh3

@linesoflight - were you a m. arch 3 yr applicant or m. arch 2 yr applicant? I think most of us waiting are 2 yr applicants if i'm not mistaken

Apr 5, 11 9:27 pm  · 
 · 
linesoflight

@bsh m.arch 3, sorry about the confusion!

Apr 5, 11 11:10 pm  · 
 · 
m2p

i applied to ucla last year and i didn't hear anything from them after the "application complete" email until april 14, indicating that i had been waitlisted. the email stated that waitlisted decisions would be made in may or early june. i didn't hear anything back so i emailed them on june 11 and received no answer. then on june 30, they emailed asking if we were still interested in a fall 2010 position. then on july 3, they emailed again with a rejection.

it seems to be turning out the same way this year ..

Apr 5, 11 11:47 pm  · 
 · 
psjp

are all the 3 years out then?

Apr 5, 11 11:50 pm  · 
 · 
Sananda

What a bummer! I continue laughing...

Days have passed, weeks go by,
All the stress will make me die
Endlessly I wait, while UCLA can't decide,
They seem to be taking us all for a ride!!!

Apr 6, 11 12:55 am  · 
 · 
bsh3

so it's the end of the week...does anyone think we'll hear from UCLA? (said extremely doubtfully) lol.

Apr 8, 11 7:47 am  · 
 · 
aag2022

someone was waitlisted at ucla yesterday... not sure what that means for the rest of us...

Apr 8, 11 8:10 am  · 
 · 
berg6

I was waitlisted by UCLA via e-mail yesterday, although I'm not the one who posted on gradcafe. I also applied to the 3 year first prof so I don't know how that applies to all the 2 year applicants. Good luck.

Apr 8, 11 8:59 am  · 
 · 
Laurem

Did anyone here attend Yale's open house yesterday? Learn anything interesting? Has anyone decided on where they are going yet? Deadline is coming!

I was planning on going but I had a work deadline.

Apr 8, 11 9:51 am  · 
 · 
ext architect

ihatefish87 - where you from?

Apr 8, 11 10:01 am  · 
 · 
Arfaei

UCLA did not send me any notification too.are they just randomly giving decisions out.as I see on gradcafe someone got rejected someone waitlisted yesterday.whats going on?
has anyone heard anything from Pomona? USC? Rensselaer?
going to pratt if they do not give us decision in a week.lol

Apr 8, 11 10:07 am  · 
 · 
Sananda

Grr..all updates pertain to the 3yr M.Arch...2 yr M.Arch applicants still wait in vain!:x

@ aag2022- waitlisted at UCLA for 3yr m.arch? or 2 yr m.arch?

@ The Sign- I'm from India.

@ Arfaei- I heard from USC via email on 27th March, and got their formal admission package today via post. However, I applied for Building Science so I don't know how much this info would help you. Still thought of telling you.

Apr 8, 11 11:29 am  · 
 · 
aag2022

@ ihatefish87 - both the waitlist and the rejection on gradcafe says 3 yr. I am waiting on 3 yr and havent heard anything yet. not sure what that means. getting so annoyed, tempted to call and threaten (obviously in vain) legal action.

Apr 8, 11 11:33 am  · 
 · 
Sananda

@ aag2022- Lol! I thought just as much...anyways, all the best for that! (not the 'legal action' part..i meant the 'clearing wait list' part)...:)

Apr 8, 11 12:03 pm  · 
 · 
aag2022

just spoke with UCLA and while I didnt threaten legal action, I found out that they hope to have all the MArch 3 year decisions by the beginning of next week.

Apr 8, 11 12:06 pm  · 
 · 
Sananda

@ aag2022- UCLA's 2 favourite words seem to be- "NEXT" & "WEEK"!!!!

Apr 8, 11 12:22 pm  · 
 · 
berg6

@Arfaei - I got an email from USC last Friday offering admission to the 2 year MArch program, and then a package Monday or Tuesday. Sent my acceptance in yesterday morning.

Apr 8, 11 12:51 pm  · 
 · 
psjp

what's wrong with UCLA? indecisiveness or laziness?

Apr 8, 11 1:19 pm  · 
 · 
maryagnes

@Arfei - I'm still waiting on Rensselaer as well, but I'm not sure that I'm actually going to wait for them. I don't know who they think they're going to get to come to their school by making people wait around this long, especially with the deadline for all other schools looming, and also because they start next month!

I emailed the coordinator a couple of weeks back, but got no response at all. This was the first time he's not responded to an email or phone call, so he obviously is ignoring people as they know they are really irritating applicants. He said around the end of the first week of March that they would be another 3-4 weeks, but it's been past that now.

I feel like the only way I could even consider them (if I were accepted) is if they offered me such a great aid package that I couldn't refuse it. Otherwise, for me as I'm sure for others, they've pulled themselves out of the equation.

Apr 8, 11 1:27 pm  · 
 · 
Sananda

Received the much awaited UCLA admission decision (for M.Arch II). A sad rejection...:(
So it's USC for me this fall!

Apr 9, 11 12:59 pm  · 
 · 
Arfaei

I got the rejection too,last night at 2:30 am! why?!:)) but i was expectin rejection.So for now its pratt for me.

Apr 9, 11 1:03 pm  · 
 · 
Sananda

*sobs* first choice gone down the drain...

Apr 9, 11 1:05 pm  · 
 · 
ext architect

@Ihatefish87- A little more specific, state?

Apr 9, 11 2:39 pm  · 
 · 
Sananda

@ The Sign- I'm from Kolkata (WB)

Apr 9, 11 2:53 pm  · 
 · 
maryagnes

@Arfaei - got my acceptance from Rensselaer last night. Have you heard anything? No word on funding yet. The letter said that I would have to contact the department to find out. Also, they said the acceptance packet was in the mail and should arrive shortly. Good luck!

Apr 9, 11 5:30 pm  · 
 · 
Arfaei

@maryagnes - I have not heard from them yet, I think they are sending notifications one by one.lol. btw do you know anything about them and their program and its quality, it is hard to find out about them,because of this even If i get accepted I will probably attend Pratt or if Michigan accepts me off the wait list it would be Michigan.

Apr 9, 11 5:50 pm  · 
 · 
p_11_tx

@ihatefish there maybe a Texas invasion at USC this fall. Everyone of my classmates and myself, who applied, got in. Also, I met a bunch of Texans at RISD's open house who got into USC and said they will probably end up there as well.

Did anyone get rejected from USC?

Apr 9, 11 6:18 pm  · 
 · 
'Maximus

I look forward to contributing to the results thread, but four of my schools haven't released decisions yet! I used last year's thread as a reference, but it also was a little incomplete and it was posted later than this... I ask that people hold off from contributing until they get most if not all of their decisions. Even after open houses maybe.

The most helpful posts last year were the ones that reasoned through the school that each applicant decided on in the end. It's about more than just the stats.

Apr 10, 11 2:17 am  · 
 · 
Sananda

@ p_11_tx- dunno about that! I applied to USC not for M.Arch but for Building Science..and there are just 2 other posts of acceptance on Gradcafe. So can't vouch for the rest of the bunch! Besides, if everyone's coming to USC then who's going to Texas!?

Apr 10, 11 1:25 pm  · 
 · 
Sananda

I sure wish I was though~!

Apr 10, 11 1:36 pm  · 
 · 
bsh3

i got accepted to usc and with they way ucla is taking on either sending me a rejection/waitlist/or acceptance i'll prob end up there. plus they threw in a bunch of money so who could turn that down?!

I just want UCLA to send the rejection email already so I can just move on! put me out of my misery! lol

Apr 10, 11 1:40 pm  · 
 · 
Sananda

@bsh3- I SO know what you mean, man. I was brought out of my misery only 2 days back. So I wish it ends for you soon enough. And as for turning down a handsome offer...I just hope I don't regret rejecting the offers that came from other schools on the basis of financial aid!

Apr 10, 11 1:46 pm  · 
 · 
kas2

@bsh3 ... I haven't heard anything either for UCLA. Are you M.Arch-3? Hopefully we will hear soon- at this point all news is good news!

Apr 10, 11 5:19 pm  · 
 · 
bsh3

Nah I'm a M. Arch 2 yr applicant. I'm just about to call them cause this is ridiculous. Last time I checked it took 5 seconds to send an email saying..."you suck, we don't want you, blah blah blah"!

Apr 11, 11 12:38 pm  · 
 · 
psjp

so has anyone called UCLA?

Apr 11, 11 2:44 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: