Archinect
anchor

Swiss Minaret Ban

le bossman

jesus pi. talk about painting with a broad brush.

Dec 4, 09 12:23 pm  · 
 · 
pi1031

le bossman... i will take that as a compliment!

Dec 4, 09 12:28 pm  · 
 · 
AbrahamNR

It sadness me to think that the world is filling up with insensitive bigots. This is an appaling attack on a minority immigrant class.

Dec 4, 09 10:04 pm  · 
 · 
swiss cheese

No it is not yourself who lives in Schwiez so it is not you to make opinion see America is not similar. Do not apply your thought of it to place you not understand custom and history.

Dec 5, 09 3:52 am  · 
 · 
oe

Man did you guys see John Oliver with the swiss UN ambassador? ouch.

Dec 5, 09 4:42 am  · 
 · 
LB_Architects

The argument that it is the Swiss that should decide their own laws, despite global claims of racism or discrimination is one which is saturated in hypocrisy. If you truly believe that other countries should enforce their own laws without other countries (or even their own discriminated citizens) criticizing those policies, then you should also not criticize countries like Saudi Arabia or Iran for their discriminatory laws against women, gays, etc. You can't selectively extend your beliefs to specific countries/policies and not others and expect people like myself to shut our mouths.

Dec 5, 09 12:24 pm  · 
 · 
randomized

As far as I know Saudi Arabia and Iran do not have democratically chosen governments or parliaments so your comparison doesn't really make sense imo. This ban anyhow is not a ban of Islam but only about the visual impact of a part of their mosques that doesn't fit in the urban or rural context according to a majority of the Swiss that voted. You also don't have a McDonalds or an Apple store in the Louvre...oh wait.

Dec 5, 09 12:42 pm  · 
 · 
le bossman

like i said myself, i think the ban is silly. it is definitely culturally discriminatory, but i still think for the sake of arguement that it discriminates against cultural archetypes rather than the religion itself, which somehow to me isn't quite as bad. it doesn't strike me as "racist." it reminds me of a quasi-bhutan scenario of xenophobia. it's interesting that we always give europe credit as the most liberal continent in western civilization, but when it comes to the mixing of different cultures, clearly they are very sheltered.

Dec 5, 09 1:11 pm  · 
 · 
Janosh

It'd be interesting to read the full text of the minaret ban. Could a mosque be legally topped with a giant fucking cuckoo clock or alpenhorn?

Dec 5, 09 1:46 pm  · 
 · 
chatter of clouds

pity, it'll only further underline and aggrevate the division between mainstream swiss and moslem swiss and it will invite the wrath of more extremist elements. i really don't understand why anyone would want to up the level of prejudice. aren't humans supposed to learn? perhaps moslems will be cheriched citizens after europe sets up concentration camps for them as well and kills 6,000,000 of them or so....then maybe apropos guilt, love.

Dec 5, 09 2:41 pm  · 
 · 
chatter of clouds

or maybe thats supposed to happen in the U.S. you know, after the presidency of current politically correct president...when Bush Junior Junior (perhaps, one of the daughters) takes over.

Dec 5, 09 2:47 pm  · 
 · 
Distant Unicorn

who are these mooselimbs you keep talking about?

Dec 5, 09 6:31 pm  · 
 · 
crowbert

Religion (of the unquestioning allegiance to an unknowable yet incredibly petty ultimate creator kind) certainly seems to make people stupid, but none moreso than those professing non-beleif.

Dec 5, 09 7:38 pm  · 
 · 
Distant Unicorn

bwahahahahaha.

Dec 5, 09 8:57 pm  · 
 · 
LB_Architects

"This ban anyhow is not a ban of Islam but only about the visual impact of a part of their mosques that doesn't fit in the urban or rural context according to a majority of the Swiss that voted."

I never said it was a ban on Islam. It is a ban that attempts to suppress from public view the presence of a specific population of Switzerland that legally live there. An attempt to make another set of citizens appear non-existent.

Dec 5, 09 9:41 pm  · 
 · 
randomized

FP, I never said you said that.

Dec 6, 09 8:12 am  · 
 · 

Archinect Competition: SWITZERLAND, WE HAVE A PROBLEM
An open call for ideas to help Switzerland navigate its recent difficulties with minarets. We look forward to your proposals.
http://archinect.com/features/article.php?id=94363_0_23_0_M

Dec 7, 09 1:59 pm  · 
 · 
oe

Are we allowed to use dynamite?

hehe. Jk. I love the idea paul :)

Dec 7, 09 2:28 pm  · 
 · 
oe

So, in all seriousness, Im finding my crass reaction to this pretty inadequate. I dont make this criticism on a nationalistic basis. The US has been wholly disgraceful in the past, recent included. I make this as a human being. This isnt about goddamned architecture and the people who voted for it know it. This is about intimidation, and the most contemptible sort. Srebrenica wasnt fucking 15 years ago. I could give a goddamn about your sovereignty and this morally pathetic neutrality youre so proud of. You have news papers. You have fucking history books. I mean just look at this goddamned thread! All this horseshit about, the "Blonde-Haired, Blue-Eyed Swiss" quote "diluting their Culture". I mean are you fucking serious? Do you have any self-awareness whatsoever what you sound like?? I mean just look at this!

Who do you think you are kidding? You should be fucking ashamed of yourselves. Like every obsequious worm whos trodded out this slime for a hundred years.

I know what its like to live in a country full of ignorant nimrods, so, if youre swiss and this makes you as ill as it does me, I do apologize for being so general. But this kind of thing just cant be allowed to go without being called for what it is.

Dec 8, 09 1:54 am  · 
 · 
brian buchalski
SWITZERLAND, WE HAVE A PROBLEM

somehow, i can't help but imagine the following reply from die Schweiz:

Yes, Archinect, you do have a problem. Auf wiedersehen!

Dec 8, 09 9:04 am  · 
 · 
syp

Every archinect isn't a swiss.
As you swiss doesn't care about other culture and people, we non-swiss don't care about how a swiss feels about our criticism.

Then, why does criticizing switzerland become archinect's problems?
It's just your problem whether or not you like the criticism.

Do you want us to care about swiss but you swiss don't care about others???
Then, I think, you are too childish and selfish.
Be a grown-up.

Dec 8, 09 10:21 am  · 
 · 
syp

I think it is you, not us, who are devaluing other good swiss people...

Dec 8, 09 10:28 am  · 
 · 
chatter of clouds

FP It is a ban that attempts to suppress from public view the presence of a specific population of Switzerland that legally live there. An attempt to make another set of citizens appear non-existent.

i think that is a precise enough interpretation. the argument that the issue is mere architectural contextualism really seeks to undermine everyone else's intelligence. sneaking prejudice under the guise of discursive detachment. it happened in pseudo-science via eugenics. and it certainly happened in the arts in demonizing whatever is in keeping with the People's Völkisch morality.

Suddenly, the virginal unfolding of Sweet Switzerland is in danger of being shagged by the vertical thrust of Islamic minarets. From this stance, it is not Islam that is living in the archaic mythic time, it is the xenophobic mythomanic tribalism of the near 60 percent of the Swiss banners.

Dec 8, 09 1:04 pm  · 
 · 
chatter of clouds

correction: whatever is NOT in keeping with the People's Völkisch morality.

Dec 8, 09 1:05 pm  · 
 · 
chatter of clouds

and Swiss voters.

sorry, i'm also watching a funny Bruce Campbell movie.

Dec 8, 09 1:06 pm  · 
 · 
Paradox

"From this stance, it is not Islam that is living in the archaic mythic time, it is the xenophobic mythomanic tribalism of the near 60 percent of the Swiss banners."

I'm back..
Talking about tribalism,can somebody show me one muslim country which is advanced in technology,arts/humanities or more importantly got their human rights exercises right?

Dec 8, 09 4:26 pm  · 
 · 
Paradox

The other thing is a muslim doesn't need a minaret to fulfill his/her prayers.In fact,you don't even need a mosque but since mosques represent muslim people and gathers them until one roof we can say it is ok to build mosques because they have a function but your faith is between you and the god. You can pray at your home. Also one other negative aspect of the minarets is that nowadays they use the speaker system to call to prayers. Before the 19th century loud speakers didn't exist. It basically causes noise pollution and changes the environment you live both aurally and visually. I,as a person who doesn't practice Islam don't need to listen to that 5 times a day.Everybody has their alarm clocks. If you want to pray just set your alarm clock,if you don't want to pray then don't set it.

The Swiss people are already being kind opening their doors to foreigners and giving them jobs,homes and food and these people are reacting to the Swiss government for a simple thing as banning minarets where they should be grateful instead. If you're living in a foreign country then you need to respect their rules and traditions,if you don't like it then go back to your home country and keep building your minarets.

Dec 8, 09 6:12 pm  · 
 · 
LB_Architects

Paradoxx,

Thank you so much for your informative and insightful commentary. I wish to subscribe to your newsletter. May I ask what the tariff for such a publication would be?

Dec 8, 09 7:23 pm  · 
 · 
Paradox

"My point was that Christians and Jews can just as easily fit every single criticism you made about Muslims in your post. I don't understand why you consider this so offensive.
You quoted "the Koran" regarding Jews and Christians going to hell. But you quoted a translation made by conservative Christians and Jews that in an attempt to slander the Koran and make it appear more vitriolic than Christianity or Judaism ? The official English translation is:
"O you who believe, if you revert from your religion, then GOD will substitute in your place people whom He loves and who love Him. They will be kind with the believers, stern with the disbelievers, and will strive in the cause of GOD without fear of any blame. Such is GOD's blessing; He bestows it upon whomever He wills. GOD is Bounteous, Omniscient."
Not that I like this version either (or any other scripture in the Koran or Bibles), but it is no worse than many verses in the bible. And is this any different than Judaism's claim to being the chosen people? Please, stop pulling up mis-translations from anti-muslim sites and quoting them like they're official."

According to the classic Islam theology, Muslims can wage war on infidels aka those who refuse Islam and become a muslim. It is not true that all religions are close to being equal or support a peaceful environment. I'm afraid but there are so few peaceful strains in Islam and the deeply engrained doctrines differ greatly from the post-enlightened Christian values of the West.
What ideas in Islam give way to terrorism? and why is it such a fertile ground for violence? Are the all terrorist attacks are coincidental? Christoph Luxenberg and Irshad Manji stated that the Quran itself is misinterpreted by the majority of muslims themselves which we call the "romanticization of Islam".Actually,Luxenberg is not his real name..For "some reason" he felt the need to hide under a false name.I guess the reason behind his action was not to have the same destiny as of Suliman Bashear who got thrown out of a second story window or Salman Rushdie who was sentenced to death by Khomeini because of some passages in his book "Satanic Verses".
When Bertrand Russell wrote "Why am I not a Christian" he didn't receive death threats and bishop John Shelby who challenged the Christian beliefs wasn't worried about defenestration. I should also mention that Irshad Manji now has to live behind bullet-proof windows.
I know many muslims and no they are NOT terrorists. They are actually very nice people and I'm not criticizing all the people who adhere to the faith but we should stop and consider whether Islam gives way to fundamentalism. In the contemporary world it is assumed that all religions are peaceful at the core.

There are some statements in Bible that encourage violence but if you look at the whole picture it is said that the Bible is benevolent so people also assume that Islam must be like that. After all,there are some common elements in both religious books but the thing is we all know that the Bible was written by people after Jesus died and they wrote what Jesus practiced,said and encouraged whereas Quranic passages are believed to be delivered to Mohammad by the
angel Gabriel. Therefore Muslims believe these passages are Allah's eternal and final words so they are taken all literally. The Old Testament has some passages that can cause Christians or Jews act violently but I don't see any Christians selling their daughters to slavery these days..We wouldn't have any trouble finding violent passages in Bible which will make the Christians or Jews be really ashamed but they differ from the violent passages in the Quran,no
modern Jew or Christian take these passages at heart and they certainly don't practice them anymore. Newsweek religion expert Kenneth Woodward explained the difference: "The Quran does contain sporadic calls to violence,sprinkled throughout the text...The Bible, too,has its stories of violence in the name of the Lord.The God of the early biblical books is fierce indeed in his support of the Israelite warriors....But these storied do not have the support of divine commands. Nor are they considered God's own eternal words,as Muslims believe Quranic verses to be."
According to the Muslims the authorship of the Quran differs from ho the Bible or Torah verses came to be. Woodward explained:
"Like the Bible,the Quran asserts it's divine authority. But whereas Jews and Christians regard the biblical text as the words of divinely inspired human authors, Muslims regard the Quran, which means "The Recitation" as the eternal words of Allah himself. Thus,Mohammad is the conduit for God's words, not their composer."
I believe you Christian folks value Jesus and try to adhere to his principles. Just like you,Muslim folks adhere to Mohammad's practices and take his sayings seriously so I'd advise you to take a look at Mohammad's own life then you'll understand what I'm talking about.
FP, yes perhaps you should go talk to brick walls instead of arguing with me. Brick walls won't judge you no matter how idiotic your statements are.

Dec 8, 09 8:12 pm  · 
 · 
Paradox

And I find it kind of fishy that you call yourself an atheist yet defend Islam so much..

Dec 8, 09 8:14 pm  · 
 · 
LB_Architects

Do you know what the word 'paradox' means? It seems you gave yourself that name for a very good reason.

Dec 8, 09 9:26 pm  · 
 · 
Paradox
http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/paradox

par⋅a⋅dox
  /ˈpærəˌdɒks/ Show Spelled Pronunciation [par-uh-doks] Show IPA
Use paradox in a Sentence
See web results for paradox
See images of paradox
–noun
1. a statement or proposition that seems self-contradictory or absurd but in reality expresses a possible truth.
2. a self-contradictory and false proposition.
3. any person, thing, or situation exhibiting an apparently contradictory nature.
4. an opinion or statement contrary to commonly accepted opinion.

Excluding number 2 because my statements do not contradict each other, the others are correct especially: a statement or proposition that seems self-contradictory or absurd but in reality expresses a possible truth. Emphasize on the "expresses a possible truth."
"an opinion or statement contrary to commonly accepted opinion."
Also correct.

The basic reason behind is my nickname is: any person, thing, or situation exhibiting an apparently contradictory nature. I'm a rebel as opposed to being a herded sheep,it is my nature but at least I use logic and facts to support my cause instead of acting out of "political correctness."

It is funny how you started to attack so irrelevant things such as my nickname out of desperation. :)

Dec 8, 09 9:55 pm  · 
 · 
LB_Architects

You are my hero. Please tutor me on all matters of life.

Dec 8, 09 10:00 pm  · 
 · 
chatter of clouds

Parad0xx86 is an undercover israeli cyber-mossad agent. shhhh, i didn't tell you that. :o)

Dec 8, 09 10:45 pm  · 
 · 
Paradox

Fondue and Fond of you is a secret Islamic terrorist supporting the sharia law.Shhhh I didn't tell you that. :o)

Dec 8, 09 11:05 pm  · 
 · 
Janosh

True. But he lives in a Swiss Chalet just fuck with your head.

Dec 8, 09 11:55 pm  · 
 · 
Paradox

You guys don't like reading and educating yourselves but oh well..
This is a bestseller.

http://www.amazon.com/Infidel-Ayaan-Hirsi-Ali/dp/0743289692/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1260334339&sr=8-1

Dec 9, 09 12:08 am  · 
 · 
Paradox

And no the author is not a Jew..

Dec 9, 09 12:10 am  · 
 · 
LB_Architects

Yawn.

Dec 9, 09 12:19 am  · 
 · 

I searched for God among the Christians and on the Cross and therein I found Him not.

I went into the ancient temples of idolatry; no trace of Him was there.

I entered the mountain cave of Hira and then went as far as Qandhar but God I found not.

With set purpose I fared to the summit of Mount Caucasus and found there only 'anqa's habitation.

Then I directed my search to the Kaaba, the resort of old and young; God was not there even.

Turning to philosophy I inquired about him from ibn Sina but found Him not within his range.

I fared then to the scene of the Prophet's experience of a great divine manifestation only a "two bow-lengths' distance from him" but God was not there even in that exalted court.

Finally, I looked into my own heart and there I saw Him; He was nowhere else.

- Rumi

Dec 9, 09 12:20 am  · 
 · 
Paradox

Nice poem..

Dec 9, 09 12:26 am  · 
 · 
brian buchalski

why are some of you being such an ass to paradoxx86?

Dec 9, 09 7:47 am  · 
 · 
randomized

Thank God for Nietsche.

Dec 9, 09 10:33 am  · 
 · 
LB_Architects

"why are some of you being such an ass to paradoxx86?"

Oh, poor Paradoxx! How inconsiderate of us. We should be ashamed of ourselves. I mean, she spews hatred and propaganda about all of Islam and Muslims and we should really consider treating her with reverence and respect. Boo hoo hoo. Sure, she offers absolutely no respect or tolerance for Islam and Muslims, but I suppose we should just bow down and kiss her feet. Sniffle, sniffle. She lies to us about her experiences but we should just forgive her since we all know that's what Jesus would do. Poor baby deserves to be loved, just like all of Gods children. Boo hoo. I certainly wouldn't want to hurt her feelings...because she's a chosen one and I might go to hell. Boo...Hoo.

Dec 9, 09 12:23 pm  · 
 · 
Paradox

Poor FP..he finally lost his marbles.Anyways I see nobody here opposes me can come up with an intelligent argument so that proves I'm onto something. :)
And yes thank God for Nietzsche..

Dec 9, 09 1:03 pm  · 
 · 
Paradox

If you don't have PROOF I'm lying about my exleriences just shut.the.eff.up.
Facts speak here baby not "assumptions"!

Dec 9, 09 1:07 pm  · 
 · 
LB_Architects

Ok, Paradoxx...tell me if I have this right. You earlier said that you grew up in Istanbul and that you and your family were once Muslims. And then you said that you are no longer a Muslim and although you are "non-religious" you still believe in God. And you later say, "I believe you Christian folks value Jesus and try to adhere to his principles..." which leads us to believe you are also not Christian...but you did not mention Judaism which tells us that you are most likely of the Jewish faith. Which means that you converted from Islam to Judaism. A very unlikely tall tale you're asking us to believe in, no? Even your mortal love-god Irshad Manji did not make such a drastic leap from Islam. I just want to get my "facts" straight about your true life "experiences." That's all. Please, enlighten us once again. I only wish to understand you better.

With love,

FP

Dec 9, 09 1:28 pm  · 
 · 
Paradox

I don't speak about Judaism because my knowledge on Judaism is 0! I had to google them just to find out their book was Torah,never read that book..So I don't talk about things I don't know about. Your logic is skewed.

Dec 9, 09 1:34 pm  · 
 · 
Paradox

Also if you look at my very previous posts you will see I mentioned I was an immigrant along the lines but yeah..you don't like to read..

Dec 9, 09 1:37 pm  · 
 · 
Paradox

You haven't seen me defending Judaism,you haven't seen me defending Christianity although I like Jesus.I believe all the religions are products of men and not God but some of them are much worse than others..

Dec 9, 09 1:55 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: