Archinect
anchor

GSD / Sci-Arch / AA / Bartlett / M.Arch waiting waiting waiting.for decision?

spqr

Bob Stern calls some Yale people!

Mar 5, 14 1:17 pm  · 
 · 
design//\\build

@cedar

I'm thinking about going... they'll reimburse your expenses up to $300, and put you up with a student if you ask.

Michigan is the only school I've heard back from... so it seems that if I haven't heard from Berkeley or SCI Arc by now, chances aren't good. Still waiting on Yale, GSD, UVA.

Mar 5, 14 1:19 pm  · 
 · 
regina11

@iematraveler: so are you the one who was accepted?

Mar 5, 14 1:21 pm  · 
 · 
remedios521

@Regina and iematraveler, I also heard from Minnesota this morning but already saw the link on the online application the night before. Good luck regina, I'm sure you will hear soon. 

Mar 5, 14 1:24 pm  · 
 · 
iematraveler

@regina11 Not the one you mentioned earlier. I added mine a minute ago.

Mar 5, 14 1:25 pm  · 
 · 
iematraveler

@regina11 And good luck!

Mar 5, 14 1:26 pm  · 
 · 
regina11

@hakunamatata: what was the admission decision for Minnesota?

Mar 5, 14 1:28 pm  · 
 · 
regina11

@iematraveler, @hakunamatata: Congratulations to both of you.

Mar 5, 14 1:31 pm  · 
 · 
elisandra_garcia

Any insight needed from Wash U, let me know, I am here now.

During Open House, current grad students get open bar! So at least the Open House could be fun if you guys are considering Wash U.

Mar 5, 14 1:41 pm  · 
 · 
dwgzandhustlaz

@iematraveler, and generally re: merit of non-ivy education

i think your points are really valid, and I'm not even convinced of all the  strengths of an ivy education that you mentioned (especially that the students there will be of higher caliber). certainly many good students are having the same thought process as you, and may choose another school over an ivy. plus I  just disagree on principal -- I've seen good and bad students almost everywhere, and fit is probably more important. 

corollary to this: a lot of non-ivies have been mentioned I this thread, but never Rice. what is the general opinion? any insights?

Mar 5, 14 3:02 pm  · 
 · 
back_forth

I think Rice is a great school. The curriculum and their approach is very interesting, small classes, and a beautiful campus. I didn't apply there personally because I don't want to be in Texas/ South for personal reasons. However, it's a great program. 

Mar 5, 14 3:13 pm  · 
 · 
C. Watts

I also didn't apply to Rice due to location (same with U.Mich and U. Wash-St. Louis).  I personally like the small classes and what the school focuses on, but I just don't want to live in Texas right now. 

I'm curious to know what people think about M.Arch I 2 year options vs. 3 year options.  I'm applying to a few 2 year programs and  three year ones.  It seems that the more highly regarded schools do three years (or more)... so if you decide on a 2 year school (which may be cheaper in the long run, depending on school) do you feel like you are missing out or not getting enough education as other M.Arch I programs?  Or a lower quality? What are pros and cons of two year vs. 3 year? 

Mar 5, 14 3:22 pm  · 
 · 
Tabeguache

All of Hp87's exes live in Texas. 

Mar 5, 14 3:39 pm  · 
 · 
iematraveler

I studied architecture as an undergrad, so I applied to 2 year or AP programs and I don't think I can seriously consider a school that doesn't offer me that. You also have to consider the experience (and salary) you'll gain in an office instead of being in school that third year. Although if you haven't studied design before, I think it can take a while to get into the groove of how to succeed in architecture school, so for that person, I think a third year would be important.

I didn't look at Rice because of the location, too. We're bound to make connections in the area where we go to school, so I only considered cities that I wouldn't mind living in even after graduation.

I don't mean to be Ivy bashing. I would be interested in hearing anyone's thoughts on why they think an ivy education would be important for them.

Mar 5, 14 3:39 pm  · 
 · 
etinoco

@Hp87 lol I only applied to one Texas school (Austin) because my roommate begged me to. The south is something I tried to steer clear from for personal reasons as well.

@dwgzandhustlaz I've heard many great things about Rice though, some people really seem to like it, and its location. Did you get accepted into their program?

Mar 5, 14 3:42 pm  · 
 · 
iematraveler

@tabeguache, One school sent me a magazine with pics of all their current students. Turns out, I already knew two of them, and at one point (long ago), I had crushes on each of them. Weird.

Mar 5, 14 3:42 pm  · 
 · 
Micah Macaulay

@Hp87 I was admitted to WUSTL yesterday evening and they are definitely reimbursing for travel/lodging for their 3-day Grad School Open House. I am very impressed. Still awaiting the admissions package in the mail concerning financials and more detailed information.

Mar 5, 14 3:53 pm  · 
 · 
Tabeguache

@lematraveler- Talk about personalized marketing! That joke is especially ironic for me because my ex currently goes to MIT... in the urban planning department. I applied anyway because I never dreamed I'd get in. Preparing myself for 2 semesters of pain before he leaves. 

Mar 5, 14 3:55 pm  · 
 · 
monosierra

@ spqr - where'd you hear about the Yale calls?

Mar 5, 14 4:05 pm  · 
 · 
dwgzandhustlaz

@salemwitch: I was accepted with a full ride to the 3 year m.arch. pretty happy about it given their program, which really appeals to me, I hope texas is okay. 

re: Texas: I have my concerns too, and I think this will be a factor, if I am accepted anywhere else. I'll be visiting (for the first time) for the open house in April, so we'll see. with a little research, it appears that large cities in the south are an exception to the political climate down there: Houston (the city Rice is in) has an openly gay mayor who is now serving her third term. plus I could see myself moving back to la after grad school pretty much anywhere in the country anyway. 

@iematraveler: I think you mentioned before that you went to Berkeley for your undergrad. Me too! this means we both received BAs, which makes a 2 year harder to get in to, and most Berkeley people I know are attending or intending to attend 3 year programs. the one big advantage I see is the opportunity to do quality thesis work. even if you have a strong design background and skills, two years doesn't seem like enough time to do a strong thesis, which to my mind is at least a 1.5 year process, especially given the graduate workload in other areas. Sarah whiting gave me a sell to pretty much the same effect when she called to notify  me of my acceptance. something about how their three year would be a better education than "a shorter program elsewhere."

I'm waiting on decisions from Princeton and Yale, and I am lucky enough to be admitted to either I expect to also be in a 3 year program. it seems like it will come down to money if I am accepted and houston seems at least tenable. 

Mar 5, 14 4:23 pm  · 
 · 
etinoco

@dwgzandhustlaz Congrats! You'll probably enjoy it, I mean it's a good architecture program and you'll be doing what you (hopefully) love. :)

Houston does seem to be the more liberal city of the area, along with Austin, but I just wasn't personally sold. I've never been, so I can't say too much, but Texas has too many similarities to where I currently live and have visited and I really wanted to try something new. 

Mar 5, 14 4:48 pm  · 
 · 
iematraveler

@dwgzandhustlaz Go bears!

Luckily, I was able to fulfill prereqs for the 2-year programs, and I feel qualified. I've also been working for 5+ years and have learned A LOT. I know I'm in the 2-year at Tulane and Oregon. Others haven't made it clear yet that I got the AP.

From what I understand, the 2-year admits simply join in with the 3-years in their second year. A third year thesis project remains the same, then. The 2-years just have to be ready to jump right in alongside their peers. I do know some people, however, who have enjoyed spending the extra time doing 3 years.

I believe that even if you choose a 3 year program, with your Cal BA, you will still be ahead of classmates who never studied architecture. You should at least argue to get out of some of the intro classes if you've taken something equivalent as an undergrad. If anything, this will give you more time to take electives that interest you and to think about your thesis, rather than be caught up in busywork. It sounds like Rice really wants you, so you're in a good position to make that case.

Mar 5, 14 4:59 pm  · 
 · 
Dima Srouji

Yale people. I'm currently a first year in the M.ARCH I program. I didn't get my acceptance email till March 9th last year! Patience!

Mar 5, 14 5:36 pm  · 
 · 
dwgzandhustlaz

@salemwitch Thanks! as for houston, the proof will be in the proverbial pudding...

@iematraveler: I think you're right about the 2 / 3 year mechanism, and I like your suggestion of trying to get out of some of the intro classes in favor of electives. I may try to pursue that. and given your situation, your position makes a lot more sense. I'm coming almost straight out of undergrad, and I feel like the extra time to define my practice could be really useful -- that extra time to think about the thesis you mentioned. having worked for as long as you have, I'm sure you have a much clearer idea of what your practice is aspiring to, and by extension, your thesis

@c watts :  in summary, like I said, I don't think it's so much about a shorter "education" as in, classes taken etc, it probably has more to do with having time to think so it would depend on how much of that thinking you've done before going in

Mar 5, 14 5:45 pm  · 
 · 
iematraveler

Remember, once you've been accepted, the power has shifted. Now the schools are competing for you, so it's not the time to compromise. The school has decided that you will make them look good, so it's a good time to politely bargain. Neither you or the school gains if you waste your time there with busywork.

Mar 5, 14 6:14 pm  · 
 · 
shep

Looks like a round of MIT rejections are going out (according to gradcafe). I personally have not received one yet (knock on wood), but I feel like my head is on the chopping block. 

Mar 5, 14 6:20 pm  · 
 · 
juxian

I applied to SMarchS and have not heard from them. What's on grad cafe must be for MArch

Mar 5, 14 6:39 pm  · 
 · 
monosierra

Someone I know received her MIT admissions notice mid-Feb. Think they are done with sending out admissions, at least for the initial few I guess.

Mar 5, 14 7:43 pm  · 
 · 
regina11

One more admitted to UMN........

All who are getting admitted are natives. So do international applicants have to wait longer?

I think someone in this thread had answered yes to this.

I am getting impatient. Control!!!!!.......

Mar 5, 14 9:41 pm  · 
 · 
back_forth

Another day gone, the wait continues...

Mar 5, 14 10:14 pm  · 
 · 
juxian

Somehow I just wanted to make this thread to page 8

Mar 5, 14 10:17 pm  · 
 · 
darth_arch

It will get there @juxian. 

Next up will be the MIT Smarchs admissions. Though like rest above, I wonder when they intend on sending them. 

Mar 5, 14 10:21 pm  · 
 · 
camhard

Question if anyone on here received a rejection from MIT: Has your online status been updated? I haven't heard a peep from them, and online, it still just says that my application has been submitted for review... I'm guessing tomorrow will be a sad day, but perhaps there is hope?

Mar 5, 14 11:08 pm  · 
 · 
monosierra

I'm really curious as to how the selection/notification process works. My guess is that each school has to guess how many of the admitted would actually come - competition, financial aid, and timing are all factors. Do they start off notifying the top ranked 100, expecting, say, only 50% to say yes, before moving on to the next 50 and so on?

Mar 5, 14 11:13 pm  · 
 · 
C. Watts
Sounds similar to sorority recruitment -_-
Mar 5, 14 11:22 pm  · 
 · 
RhinoTRAP

3 people on gradcafe accepted to UVA MLA.

Decisions supposed to be all up on the website this workweek, but it's like they're posting them in little batches, not each program all together.

Anyone heard anything?

Mar 5, 14 11:49 pm  · 
 · 
kadam-patil

hey camhard even my portal also shows under review with no email notification  .my heart has already started pumping  !!!!

Mar 6, 14 12:12 am  · 
 · 
ps2507

@iematraveler, so if I am accepted to a 3+ program and have an design undergrad, i can insist for electives instead of the foundation lvl courses?

Mar 6, 14 4:47 am  · 
 · 
archifrench

@RhinoTRAP No news at all for MLA ... 

Mar 6, 14 4:56 am  · 
 · 
Roshi

MIT and Cornell sent out the bulk of their rejections this morning, I got hit with both.

Mar 6, 14 9:47 am  · 
 · 
Marina CM

I'm sorry Roshi :(

Mar 6, 14 10:50 am  · 
 · 
back_forth

Sorry Roshi, did you apply anywhere else?

Mar 6, 14 11:30 am  · 
 · 
Roshi

Its not a big deal. I applied to 6 other schools, 3 of which I wanted more than MIT and Cornell, so I'm still keeping my chin up high. It just stings a bit to have your first two letters come about that way. Kind of takes a load off your shoulders, though.

Next time I'm not opening the emails in the morning. Going to keep them closed until after work.

Mar 6, 14 12:08 pm  · 
 · 
RhinoTRAP

@archifrench

Yea, still nothing on the UVA site for me. Maybe I shouldn't start self-destructing until the end of Friday.

In other news, early notification today from Penn! BOOM

Mar 6, 14 12:09 pm  · 
 · 
spqr

PennDesign Landscape! Anybody hear from PennDesign Architecture?

Mar 6, 14 12:35 pm  · 
 · 
back_forth

Ugh I'm dying to hear from Penn Architecture! 

Mar 6, 14 12:39 pm  · 
 · 
insomniarch

Hopefully GSAPP posts their results soon. The AAD path starts in less than 3 months and Ill have to move my family across country if i decide to head there. ugh.

Everyone's taking their sweet time!

Mar 6, 14 12:41 pm  · 
 · 
archifrench

I got into PennDesign MLA 2 !!!! soooooo excited :)  

Mar 6, 14 12:42 pm  · 
 · 
acetaminophen

@camhard -- I received a rejection from MIT, and my application status has not changed. It still says "Sent for review."

@ps2507 -- Depends from program to program. There's usually a process of reviewing your previous coursework to establish whether or not you can waive certain classes, or receive credits for them. 

Mar 6, 14 12:45 pm  · 
 · 
RhinoTRAP

@archifrench

Yesss! Penn MLA 2 year buddies!

I'm pretty floored; I thought Penn was my highest chance for rejection. Cause of portfolio/program match.

Mar 6, 14 12:51 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: