Archinect
anchor

GSD / Sci-Arch / AA / Bartlett / M.Arch waiting waiting waiting.for decision?

monosierra

So ... has anyone checked the GSD and Yale websites or just waiting for the email? Seems like some schools don't bother sending notifications.

Mar 6, 14 6:09 pm  · 
 · 
designer_jawn

I thought the hardest part about applying for grad school was selecting which schools you wanted to apply to but now hearing back from them, it's more difficult to decide which one do you really want to go to. 

I applied to far reach schools and safety schools. So far I have been accepted to University of Miami, Northeastern, and UVA. I got denied from MIT. I thought I was going to be disappointed but I am not. 

I still have 3 schools to hear from. But so far my options are so different. It's like Boston, Charlottesville, and Miami are completely different cities. I've been to all them of but still do not know what is the best decision. 

Mar 6, 14 6:17 pm  · 
 · 
iematraveler

@cmvander I feel the same. New Orleans, Portland, Ann Arbor, Los Angeles? The only common thread I can find is that they're all close to the US border or the ocean. Subconscious escape route planning?

Mar 6, 14 6:37 pm  · 
 · 
RhinoTRAP

Hey All,

Quick question. After receiving acceptance emails from programs, do you send quick acknowledgement responses, even if you have no immediate questions? I can't decide if that's expected or if it would just be more junk mail for admissions offices this time of year.

Mar 6, 14 6:53 pm  · 
 · 
designer_jawn

@iematraveler: Definitely! Is it wrong for me to even think about the climate to determine which school I will choose? :)  I am originally from Orlando, FL but I go to school in Philadelphia. 

@RhinoTRAP: I've been thinking about the same thing. I think it's just a ton of junk mail, unless you just write in the subject "Thank you BLAH BLAH BLAH." That way they do not have to read it but at least they feel appreciated or acknowledged, I guess. 

Mar 6, 14 7:08 pm  · 
 · 
juxian

I sent them a email to change my physical address from an overseas one to a domestic one, if that's an admittance. :)

Mar 6, 14 7:16 pm  · 
 · 
iematraveler

@cmvander: No, it is not wrong at all. You have to live there. Quality of life is important, even if you spend it all inside studio. Where you go might even lead to connections that keep you in the area after graduation. I'm from California and it finally rained this winter :)

Mar 6, 14 8:00 pm  · 
 · 
darth_arch

SmarchS results for MIT seem to be out. 

I didnt recieve any mail.

Sadness..... :( 

Mar 6, 14 8:56 pm  · 
 · 
regina11

This day ends. Hoping that next day would bring in some good news.

Tomorrow never dies.

Mar 6, 14 11:47 pm  · 
 · 
Runa

No email from UC Berkeley :(. 

Such a terrible day :( 

Mar 7, 14 12:01 am  · 
 · 
atjk

How do u check your MIT application status?

I got waitlisted mid Feb. They sent me a link to a new website, but on my Arch application it doesn't say anything about reviewing or wait list or nothing.

Also Berkeley M.Arch, I just talked to one of my professors who is in the review committee and he said they finished reviewing all the apps this passed weekend. So results will be out tomorrow or Monday.

Mar 7, 14 12:19 am  · 
 · 
gbear
@atjk
Who told you that? Do you happen to have better source than I do. Haha. Still I am dying to know. F..k!
JC
Mar 7, 14 1:07 am  · 
 · 
back_forth

I just wanted to share with you guys that I can't wait for this to be over! Nite!

Mar 7, 14 1:18 am  · 
 · 
regina11

@iematraveler, @hakunamatata: Have you both applied to M.arch 3 year program or with advanced standing at UMN?

No change in application status yet. Waiting.

Mar 7, 14 5:41 am  · 
 · 
atjk

@gbear

hahahah I talked to Roddy. I'm dying as well. Hopefully we get it tmrw.

Mar 7, 14 7:10 am  · 
 · 
insomniarch

Good luck everyone with today's round of emails.

Mar 7, 14 9:54 am  · 
 · 
duchamp
I'm feeling gsapp later this afternoon, they seem to like fridays to avoid calls with their first round of decisions. (based on careful analysis of grad cafe 2010-2013 with the exception of 2012...yeah I've spent too much time on there lol)
Mar 7, 14 10:08 am  · 
 · 
insomniarch

@ Duchamp I hope your right!

Mar 7, 14 10:53 am  · 
 · 
inkheist

I received a call this morning from an unknown number with a Pennsylvania area code. Naturally, I suspected it was UPenn calling. Wait, nope. Telemarketer. Seriously!?

Mar 7, 14 11:48 am  · 
 · 
AJ_Urbanist

@duchamp That's exactly what I was thinking they do - late Friday admissions and then run out of the office as fast as possible so people are forced to calm down for a couple days before they start calling.

I used to send rejection emails on Friday afternoons for this exact reason... But the monday morning broken hearted student emails are still the worst.

Mar 7, 14 11:57 am  · 
 · 
iematraveler

@regina11: I applied to UMN with advanced standing, but they admitted me to the 3-year program. Boo.

Mar 7, 14 1:40 pm  · 
 · 
architect27_87

what happened to MIT's string of rejections and some acceptances ... No news today.

Mar 7, 14 2:02 pm  · 
 · 
C. Watts

Still waiting on 7 more schools...  x_x

Mar 7, 14 2:05 pm  · 
 · 
as22

For anyone who applied to Virginia Tech's M.Arch program - I logged onto my guest account and my application said accepted, with more information to come in the mail.  No email update or anything, so check your online accounts!

Mar 7, 14 2:06 pm  · 
 · 
RhinoTRAP

@as22

Are you talking about the admissions account -- same as the one where you submitted your app? Or some other account w/ VaTech?

Mar 7, 14 2:16 pm  · 
 · 
designer_jawn

@as22: where do you log in? Every time I log into the website where we submitted our application it still says status received and it has not changed since Feb. 3..... 

Mar 7, 14 2:20 pm  · 
 · 
as22

This site:

https://banweb.banner.vt.edu/ssb/prod/gzbkwbis.P_WWWLogin

Mar 7, 14 2:22 pm  · 
 · 
as22

You might have to fill this form out first, I'm not sure if the application login is automatically the same as the login for the guest site.  I've definitely found Virginia Tech to have one of the most confusing online systems

https://banweb.banner.vt.edu/ssb/prod/hzskgsta.P_Invite

Mar 7, 14 2:25 pm  · 
 · 
designer_jawn

Yeah, I activated my account just now! Still no update if I am accepted or not! The wait continues.....

Mar 7, 14 2:32 pm  · 
 · 
RhinoTRAP

Thanks, as22! Accepted at VaTech for MLA and the note says the official letter comes via USPS.

Mar 7, 14 2:42 pm  · 
 · 
AJ_Urbanist

Looks like Harvard is releasing PHD decisions. Maybe there is hope we will hear from the GSD today too!

Mar 7, 14 3:03 pm  · 
 · 
archifrench

@RhinoTRAP Congratulations for VaTech !!

Mar 7, 14 3:14 pm  · 
 · 
RhinoTRAP

@archifrench: Thanks! Did you apply to Cornell? I still see nothing on ApplyWeb and getting a tad nervous.

Mar 7, 14 3:15 pm  · 
 · 
archifrench

@RhinoTRAP yes I did apply to Cornell, I saw couple admissions on gradcafé but it was only for MLA 3years so I think there is still hope :)

Mar 7, 14 3:19 pm  · 
 · 
cedar

@AJ_Urbanist I hope you're right.

I think Harvard's architecture PhD program is primarily associated with the Graduate School of Arts and Sciences rather than the GSD. It seems like PhD offers are going out through this different administrative unit.

I'm not sure what, if anything, we can read into this. But we can hope!

Mar 7, 14 3:19 pm  · 
 · 
mkt680

Do y'all have a sense that after 5pm there is no chance of hearing until Monday? 

Still waiting on march1 from gsd gsapp yale and penn and starting to die a little inside from the suspense...

Mar 7, 14 3:56 pm  · 
 · 
juxian

MIT gave their SMArchS decision via email at 4:30PM. So let's wait until 5 and then have two peaceful days until Monday

Mar 7, 14 4:01 pm  · 
 · 
cedar

Last Friday Michigan sent out their acceptances at 6pm local (EST). We can prolong our anxiety by at least another two hours.

Mar 7, 14 4:07 pm  · 
 · 
AJ_Urbanist

@cedar You're killing my buzz, person I know in real life.

... But that's a valid point.

Mar 7, 14 4:14 pm  · 
 · 
juxian

I got email from GSD to check status on their website, accepted to M.Arch II

Mar 7, 14 4:20 pm  · 
 · 
insomniarch

In to GSD  MArch 2 with $$$!!!!!!!!!!!

Mar 7, 14 4:22 pm  · 
 · 
mkt680

Ah just checked website and there was a status update too for March 1! Accepted! Everyone check and good luck!!!

Mar 7, 14 4:23 pm  · 
 · 
juxian

In the letter, they said they decide to expand the 1.5 year M.Arch II program into 2 years

· 
And MD

I got a email from GSD accepted to MAUD!  still shaking......!

· 
cedar

Congrats to everyone who just got accepted the the GSD!

I checked my account and my status is still "submitted". Hopefully these will come in waves...

Mar 7, 14 4:27 pm  · 
 · 
AJ_Urbanist

I got a yes for my MUP application but no status update for M. Arch I.

I can live with that.

Mar 7, 14 4:29 pm  · 
 · 
juxian

I applied to both M.Arch II and MAUD and there's only status change for M.Arch II. So I guess I did not make it to MAUD.

Mar 7, 14 4:31 pm  · 
 · 
back_forth

No update on my GSD website :(

Mar 7, 14 4:33 pm  · 
 · 
shte89

No update on my gsd website either.. .might as well start preparing for the bad news but you never know!

Congrats to everyone who got in though!

Mar 7, 14 4:46 pm  · 
 · 
Tabeguache

Congratulations you guys!!!

Mar 7, 14 4:47 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: