Archinect
anchor

GSD / Sci-Arch / AA / Bartlett / M.Arch waiting waiting waiting.for decision?

darth_arch

Unfortunately yes. Come to think of it, I should have applied to other places as well. Not sure what my chances are. 

Did you apply to the MAUD program at the GSD as well? 

Mar 4, 14 10:24 pm  · 
 · 
juxian

@darth_arch

Yes I applied to MAUD @ GSD as well. We seem to be thinking about the same thing.  I just sent you an email

Mar 4, 14 10:27 pm  · 
 · 
back_forth

And the wait continues...

Mar 4, 14 10:30 pm  · 
 · 
back_forth

P.S. Washington St. Louis just informed people today so congrats to all the admitted ones!

Mar 4, 14 10:36 pm  · 
 · 
gbear
I am dying......slowly !
Mar 4, 14 11:07 pm  · 
 · 
regina11

another day ends and the wait continues........

Mar 4, 14 11:23 pm  · 
 · 
monosierra

Surely the GSD has sent out its M.Arch I decisions already? Just based on last year's 4-Mar timing.

Mar 5, 14 3:01 am  · 
 · 
lataco

Anything from Yale M.arch 2 ?

Mar 5, 14 3:03 am  · 
 · 
ps2507

Has anyone heard from UC-Berkeley / Pratt / SAIC ? I am going crazy.........

Also, do the acceptance mails to the admitted students go all at once ? Or they send out the letters to the International ones later? ( am an applicant from India )  Univ of Cinncinnati & Wash U has sent out its acceptances ( gradcafe update)  and I still havent heard from them - does that mean that I got rejected?

Mar 5, 14 4:18 am  · 
 · 
lataco

to the natives first I think, I know someone from the US who has already got admitted into Yale M.arch 2 

Mar 5, 14 4:41 am  · 
 · 
monosierra

Nothing on gradcafe for now. I thought the schools would send all acceptance emails at one shot, regardless of where the candidate is from?

Mar 5, 14 5:07 am  · 
 · 

Here's the first-hand reference to the dates I received my letters last year. Hope it will help ease down the anxiety level, just below the threshold.

Feb - 28 - GSD
Mar - 5 - UMich

Mar - 6 - WashU
Marc - 8 - Cornell

Mar - 8 - GSAPP

Mar - 16 - MIT

Best of luck everyone.

Mar 5, 14 9:47 am  · 
 · 
back_forth

We'll they seem to be switching it up this year probably because they are aware of gradcafe's existence lol

Mar 5, 14 9:56 am  · 
 · 
monosierra

Thanks! MIT and GSD sure seem to have swapped dates. I guess Yale's should be sometime at around GSD's.

Mar 5, 14 10:01 am  · 
 · 
tomace522

Accepted to Cornell yesterday at 1 pst with scholarship.  Nothing from GSD, MIT, Yale, or Princeton yet

Mar 5, 14 11:14 am  · 
 · 
darth_arch

Congrats tomace522 :) 

Mar 5, 14 11:26 am  · 
 · 
ShakeyDeal

Has anyone heard from Cal Poly Pomona yet? I know, it's not Ivy League but still.

Mar 5, 14 11:27 am  · 
 · 
WHEAT

Got my first acceptance from Louisiana State Technical School for Drafting, still waiting on the GSD....and waiting

Mar 5, 14 11:40 am  · 
 · 
back_forth

@Aaron Perspective

Judging by gradcafe, Cal Poly has not sent out notifications yet. And so what if it's not Ivy League, it's a great school! I'm waiting for USC too. 

Mar 5, 14 11:40 am  · 
 · 
tomace522

Thanks darth_arch, have you heard anything back from Cornell yet? I think that a lot of people are too snooty (no one on this blog :)  )  sometimes when it comes to views of ivy league schools.  I have a friend that goes to Princeton and the work they are doing is similar to almost all of the rest of US architecture schools, some good work and some bad like everywhere.

Mar 5, 14 11:44 am  · 
 · 
monosierra

I do wonder if those accepted by the GSD take their time to post on gradcafe. There seems be a 1- 2-day lag in previous years between receiving news and posting.

Mar 5, 14 11:44 am  · 
 · 
back_forth

Don't stress out guys, I'm sure they'll post it on gradcafe. I'm also 90% sure that they haven't sent anything out yet. Someone would've mentioned it on here and I wouldn't be surprised if they are saving it for Monday next week. After all, Upenn won't send out notices until the 14th. 

Mar 5, 14 11:47 am  · 
 · 
darth_arch

They probably celebrate, run naked through the streets dancing in joy and then when they settle down decide to post the news on gradcafe. 

I dont blame them. I would do the same. 

Mar 5, 14 11:49 am  · 
 · 
monosierra

In my case, an instructor only informed me last weekend that I'd have to send the recommendation request to his private email instead of the institutional address. Although I figured it was too late for his letter to make a difference, I asked Admissions on Monday if they minded updating the email address. GSD was glad to do so, but warned that the panel was unlikely to take it into account at this point.

Mar 5, 14 11:51 am  · 
 · 
darth_arch

@tomace522 for some reason people choose not to discuss more about these programs. Its very weird and frustrating. Especially for folks like myself who are on the other side of the world trying to get as much first hand information as possible.

I havent heard from Cornell yet. I wonder if my chances are slim now. Considering most of the others have recieved their decisions. 

Mar 5, 14 11:55 am  · 
 · 
mkt680

Im with Hp87... at least ONE person would post on gradcafe if the GSD released acceptances and there is nothing yet. I guess we are just stuck waiting! 

@Hp87 why do you think they will wait until monday?? Also, has anyone called the admissions office and asked? might be worth it and cant hurt at this point....

Anyone have any insights on when Yale will release? They are so much later than last year!

Mar 5, 14 11:57 am  · 
 · 
back_forth

@mkt680

I was told by a current student at GSD who is applying for a dual degree that he was informed notifications weren't going to be released until next week. However, he was told a different date by a professor earlier this week so he's not sure if he's being misled. If I am not mistaken someone already called GSD and was told that notifications should be released between the first week of March and the second. Very vague, obviously. 

As far as Yale goes, I have a feeling they will notify around the same time as GSD, probably to be competitive. I decided to pretend like I didn't apply to grad school this year to prevent the anxiety from overwhelming me at work. It's too hard to focus lol 

Mar 5, 14 12:05 pm  · 
 · 
monosierra

The GSD usually sends its rejection notices in the second week of March and acceptances in the first - that was probably what the "should be released between the first week of March and the second." means. If I'm not mistaken, Yale sends both rejections and acceptances together.

Mar 5, 14 12:08 pm  · 
 · 
back_forth

This might've happened...

Mar 5, 14 12:12 pm  · 
 · 
darth_arch

I was just shortlisted for the M.Arch II program at Cornell ! 

Mar 5, 14 12:13 pm  · 
 · 
stgarcia14

First response from any school, wait listed at Cornell. I guess it's better than being rejected. I wonder what my chances are of making it off the waitlist?

Mar 5, 14 12:14 pm  · 
 · 
back_forth

Congrats guys! Slowly trickling in...

Mar 5, 14 12:15 pm  · 
 · 
Tabeguache

aurevoirshoshanna- I also just received an email from Cornell notifying me that I was waitlisted. I'm taking my name off the list though, I hope that helps your chances! 

Mar 5, 14 12:21 pm  · 
 · 
back_forth

@Tabeguache

Where did you decide to go???

Mar 5, 14 12:23 pm  · 
 · 
darth_arch

Im clueless what our chances are. Wow, a bunch of waitlist emails. Any statistics on how many make it from this list?

Mar 5, 14 12:23 pm  · 
 · 
And MD

@ps2507 I received the unofficial letter from Berkeley 1 week ago for the MUD program. Still waiting for GSAPP and GSD as well !!!!  Good luck to everybody!!

Mar 5, 14 12:24 pm  · 
 · 
darth_arch

Good guy Tabeguache, 

Im guessing that was you just now on the gradcafe. Which school did you decide on finally?

Mar 5, 14 12:24 pm  · 
 · 
Tabeguache

Hp87- I was admitted to MIT a few weeks ago. Would definitely be torn if admitted to the GSD, so still waiting on that one- but no need to take up space on Cornell's list. 

Mar 5, 14 12:25 pm  · 
 · 
Tabeguache

@dartharch - good girl  :) 

Mar 5, 14 12:26 pm  · 
 · 
regina11

Somebody just got admitted to UMN.  Anyone from this forum?

Me still Waiting........

Mar 5, 14 12:30 pm  · 
 · 
stgarcia14

@Tabegauche - Haha thanks, hopefully you were 1st on the wait list and I was 2nd ;-). I'm assuming you've decided to go elsewhere? If so, where? Just curious. 

Edit - oops you already answered this.

Btw congrats to the people that did make it in and good luck to the waistlisters, it's not over 'til it's over!

Mar 5, 14 12:32 pm  · 
 · 
darth_arch

@aurevoirshoshanna,  if you two are one and two. I hope at the very least, im third. 

@tabeguache, my apologies. :)

Mar 5, 14 12:36 pm  · 
 · 
back_forth

Ugh I'm still waiting on 4 schools: Yale, GSD, USC, and Upenn. 

I guess also on UCLA but I'm sure I didn't get in there lol 

Mar 5, 14 12:40 pm  · 
 · 
stgarcia14

darth_arch Did your email say you were wait listed for MARCH II specifically? Or did you assume that because you applied to MARCH II?

I applied to MARCH I so I'm just curious as to whether or not they have separate wait lists for both. 

Mar 5, 14 12:41 pm  · 
 · 
regina11

congratulaions to all who have been admitted to universities they applied to.

Mar 5, 14 12:42 pm  · 
 · 
darth_arch

Mine was quite specific. Mentioned M.Arch Post-Professional.

Mar 5, 14 12:46 pm  · 
 · 
Roshi

I applied to MARCH I so I'm just curious as to whether or not they have separate wait lists for both. 

I would imagine they do. Two different programs that accept two separate number of students.

Mar 5, 14 12:50 pm  · 
 · 
cedar

For those accepted to Michigan:

I just logged into my Wolverine Access account and there's new information about the offer and upcoming preview weekend. Does anyone plan to go to this event?

Mar 5, 14 12:54 pm  · 
 · 
back_forth

My friend just told me that Washington St. Louis is reimbursing hotel/flight to attend the open house. Pretty impressive. 

Mar 5, 14 12:56 pm  · 
 · 
iematraveler

I see there's tons of anticipation building for these ivys (mainly GSD). Maybe we can use our anxious waiting time better having a discussion about the decision we're all about to make.

What do you guys think is the real value added from an Ivy architecture education? I can think of a few things, although with varying degrees of importance to me, personally:

1. student quality

2. faculty star power

3. prestige on your resume

4. alumni connection networks

I too am waiting for GSD and GSAPP. Of course I'm super excited to hear back from them and would feel awesome if they accepted me. However, I wonder if going somewhere that costs 2x as much as another school really adds twice as much value?

Yesterday, I received a call from the dean of architecture at Tulane giving me his sales pitch about how Tulane will really give me the opportunity to focus on my particular interests (housing and social sustainability), because of its setting in New Orleans and the kind of faculty who have self-selected into that environment. (And he mentioned that I probably haven't been personally called by any other deans... TRUE.)

Am I the only one who is not 100% sure I would go to GSD if I was accepted? I'm looking forward to hearing everyone's thoughts.

Btw, @hakunamatata and @regina11, I heard from Minnesota this morning :) .

Mar 5, 14 1:15 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: