Archinect
anchor

GSD / Sci-Arch / AA / Bartlett / M.Arch waiting waiting waiting.for decision?

Bwatson

@cwatts 

i know how you feel,

does anyone know how big UCLA's incoming class was last year?

Feb 27, 14 12:04 pm  · 
 · 
C. Watts
@ bwatson

I went to their open house in October and they said they accepted around 80-90 and that 40-50 were admitted.
Feb 27, 14 12:40 pm  · 
 · 
etinoco
Whenever I check to see my application status for UCLA it still says pending decision. I don't know whether there's still hope or I'm screwed.
Feb 27, 14 2:00 pm  · 
 · 
iematraveler

When I received the call from UCLA, the professor told me they had accepted 50 applicants. According to @C.Watts' info, that means they still have 30-40 more acceptances to send out.

I'm busy stressing about Michigan and Minnesota, who both said acceptances would be sent this week. And who that lone wolf on gradcafe who got into UVA is.

Feb 27, 14 2:12 pm  · 
 · 
back_forth

@Salemwitch

My ucla app says "submitted" so you seem to be in a better spot than me haha

Last year Yale sent out most of it's notices today so I'm stressing checking my email every 15 minutes lol

Feb 27, 14 3:09 pm  · 
 · 
Bwatson

yea my app says no decision has been made. boo

Feb 27, 14 3:12 pm  · 
 · 
iematraveler

Don't waste your time with the app. Mine still says "submitted" and I was accepted weeks ago.

Feb 27, 14 3:25 pm  · 
 · 
etinoco

@Hp27 @iematraveler 

Are you visiting this site? https://appstatus.grad.ucla.edu/Account/Login.aspx

I just tried again and it states:

"To date, no decision has been made on your application.

Please note that most decisions on graduate admissions for fall term are made in the months of March and April and therefore you should not anticipate a decision much before that time period."

so maybe those of us waiting still have a glimmer of hope?

Feb 27, 14 3:31 pm  · 
 · 
iematraveler

Yes, mine says the same lol! I don't think architects are big fans of paperwork.

Feb 27, 14 3:34 pm  · 
 · 
etinoco

ridiculous -_-

Feb 27, 14 3:35 pm  · 
 · 
C. Watts

And here I thought the waiting process would be more relaxing than the application process... this is way worse.  I've never had such anxiety... 

Feb 27, 14 3:44 pm  · 
 · 
back_forth

Haha this is too funny. I'm sure they already made a decision on mine since one of the pages in my portfolio printed out wrong :P Thank God for digital portfolios!

Feb 27, 14 3:47 pm  · 
 · 
back_forth

PS. mine still says no decision has been made

Feb 27, 14 3:47 pm  · 
 · 
etinoco

@C.Watts I know! its constant anxiety and it'll last 30+ days. I would say I didn't sign up for this, but... :|

@Hp87 Hopefully they don't base their decision on a printer error, that'd be ludicrous. I don't think that should worry you too much, as long as your work stands out.

Feb 27, 14 3:52 pm  · 
 · 
back_forth

Me right now...

Feb 27, 14 3:53 pm  · 
 · 
back_forth

@Salemwitch It would be ludicrous. UCLA is not my first choice and I know it is yours so I hope you get in! I'm hoping for Upenn with a scholarship *fingers crossed* and they don't notify until 05/14 ugh!

Feb 27, 14 4:03 pm  · 
 · 
C. Watts

At least UPenn gives you a date and everyone finds out at once.  The rest is pretty much all guessing games and convincing yourself that Grad cafe is 100% factual.  

Feb 27, 14 4:11 pm  · 
 · 
iematraveler

@HP87 They don't notify you until MAY???  Good luck on both of your first choices @Hp87, @Salemwitch. I'm not doing any serious ranking until I see my offers.

Feb 27, 14 4:13 pm  · 
 · 
back_forth

OH I'm sorry, 03/14 haha I would die if I had to wait until May! 

@CWatts: you're right, anxiety complaining is over! 

Feb 27, 14 4:19 pm  · 
 · 
Bwatson

UCLA was my top choice, but I dont think I would like the quarter system anyways. 

Feb 27, 14 4:38 pm  · 
 · 
remedios521

iematraveler, I also applied to Minnesota, and I've been waiting to hear by the beginning of this week. Today my status changed from Awaiting Program Decision to Final Review....dunno when the decision will come out but hope soon! Good luck to all! Most of my programs will let me know in mid March and beginning April...too long! 

Feb 27, 14 4:41 pm  · 
 · 
iematraveler

I'd rather be obsessing over this than doing the waterproofing detail revisions I'm supposed to be working on.

@hakunamatata Mine too!

Feb 27, 14 5:23 pm  · 
 · 
etinoco

@Hp87 LOL praying is starting to sound like a good idea right about now. Thank you! I hope you get into your top choice too. March 13 isn't too far along, and at least you have a proper date! 

@iematraveler Thanks! I envy you, you know.

Feb 27, 14 5:58 pm  · 
 · 
WHEAT

How many schools did everyone apply to? I'm beginning to regret only applying to two...  : /

Feb 27, 14 8:28 pm  · 
 · 
back_forth

I applied to 6, I would've applied to more but I didn't want to spend a fortune.

Feb 27, 14 8:57 pm  · 
 · 
C. Watts
It depends on which two you applied to I guess.

I applied to 9 total. Which is expensive and kind of crazy. But I wanted to have options. I applied to a range of schools so that I can also see what aspects of each program interest me the most. And to see where I can get a good deal.
Feb 27, 14 9:03 pm  · 
 · 
iematraveler

Also 9. Same reasoning as @C.Watts

Feb 27, 14 9:12 pm  · 
 · 
RhinoTRAP

I applied to 10. Same reason. Rather drop $700 now than have crushing debt in 2 years.

Sounds like next week the floodgates should open with decisions?

Feb 27, 14 9:18 pm  · 
 · 
spqr

Feb 27, 14 10:05 pm  · 
 · 
lataco

Feb 27, 14 10:39 pm  · 
 · 
etinoco

I applied to 7, wanted a decent amount of options, or at least ONE school to accept me lol. Starting to think I should have applied to more 

Feb 27, 14 10:57 pm  · 
 · 
cedar

I applied to six schools, any of which I would be very happy to attend.

Sometimes I think I should have cast my net a little bit wider but in retrospect I don't think it would have been realistic. The cost of each application is significant but for me, the time I put into them meant much more. I think I would have encountered diminishing returns if I tired to apply to any more schools since I would have had less time to work on each application.

Feb 28, 14 2:18 am  · 
 · 
WHEAT

Yeah.....probably should have done more than two. RhinoTRAP makes a good point about spending more money now to--hopefully--save later. I'm impressed some of you did 9+, I thought two was a ton of work! 

Did anyone apply MArch II? If so, where? Just curious. 

Feb 28, 14 10:40 am  · 
 · 

In my opinion, 5+ universities would be a wiser choice, with few top universities you hope to get in and few safe ones, just in case. I applied to 9 last year, got in 3 but unfortunately, not enough funding. I'm doing the same thing this year, 9 universities.

Fingers crossed and someone open that flood gate

Feb 28, 14 11:22 am  · 
 · 
AJ_Urbanist

I applied to 6 but 9 programs total (I jointly applied to some planning programs as well to do dual degrees but could see myself doing just Planning for now at the right school.)

I would have applied for another but I set my limit at $1000 on grad school applications, which was the cost of my 9 programs. International fees were a bit higher than domestic + the exchange rate and then the University of Toronto charges $100 for an application PLUS $130 for a "portfolio review" - which I'm still rolling my eyes at. 

Hopefully next week brings good news to all of us!

Feb 28, 14 11:27 am  · 
 · 
RhinoTRAP

@AJ_Urbanist

Jesus Christ! $130 for a portfolio review?? Penn State's Slideroom fee was like $10.

6-9 seems like a good number. It's often what's recommended for undergrad, so it probably makes sense for MArchs and MLAs.

2-3 matches, 2-3 reaches, 2-3 safeties.

Feb 28, 14 12:24 pm  · 
 · 
etinoco
@Sagar what would you consider a "safe" university. I personally had no luck finding any information regarding a "safe choice" since they all have different portfolio review committees and each look for something different.
Feb 28, 14 12:35 pm  · 
 · 
iematraveler

Made a reservation to visit New Orleans in March WOOT! Got to work and found the office flooded NOOO. And STILL haven't heard any more news.

I don't think it was much more work applying to more schools. Nearly all had the same SOP prompt; I had a 500 word version and a 1000 word version. Dealing with some digital and some printed portfolios was annoying. They should all go digital; it's so much more equal.

I would have not applied to Toronto if I'd checked out their requirements and seen that fee. Just like I didn't apply to Sci-Arc when they said they only accepted GREs taken within two years. Do they really think stupid requirements like that will leave them with a better class of M.Archs?

Feb 28, 14 1:04 pm  · 
 · 
AJ_Urbanist

@iematraveler It's completely ridiculous to require that when they already had the most expensive graduate application in the country. Bah.

Unfortunately I wanted to apply to at least 1 Canadian school (as I'm a domestic student here so tuition is only $12k) and I didn't want to go to the same school as my undergrad. As an M.Arch. II applicant without a B.Arch. that only left me Toronto and Calgary, which I haven't heard great things about, as options. =S

Feb 28, 14 2:04 pm  · 
 · 
iematraveler

Similar position here. Couldn't stomach reapplying to my undergrad. The only in-state tuition other than my alma mater was UCLA, and without an advanced placement option, it's more expensive than out-of-state or private schools. If I have to go back to school for three years, what was the point of my B.A. in Architecture?

Feb 28, 14 2:19 pm  · 
 · 
WHEAT

@ iematraveler, if you have a B.A. in Arch, why don't you apply for a MArch II? Typically they are only three to four semesters long, just a thought.

Feb 28, 14 2:42 pm  · 
 · 
iematraveler

For the 1 year programs, you really need a professional undergrad degree - a 5-year B.Arch. I have a 4-year liberal arts B.A. in Architecture; it qualifies me for advanced placement 2-year programs (UCLA just doesn't have one). 

Feb 28, 14 2:51 pm  · 
 · 
Bwatson

thats weird about UCLA because I have a friend that did a bs arch from ohio state, and he got AP placement(2yrs)

and this was last year, maybe you can petition it 

Feb 28, 14 3:09 pm  · 
 · 
C. Watts

I heard UCLA doesn't advertise AP and that they offer it to you if they find you worthy enough. :-/  

Feb 28, 14 3:11 pm  · 
 · 
ShakeyDeal
I was looking at 5 schools, but realized without funding I would only seriously consider one in-state school, and one reach school. So at the end of the day, I limited my focus to 2 programs and am keeping my fingers crossed.
Feb 28, 14 4:08 pm  · 
 · 
iematraveler

Yeah, I was actually planning on making an argument. Thanks for the tips.

· 
WHEAT

I've never heard of a four year liberal arts "B.A." in Architecture. Where did you go to school?

· 
iematraveler

Oh they're all over the place; it's just another path. I went to Berkeley. Yale has the same setup, I believe.  It's basically a 4+2 path.

Feb 28, 14 4:23 pm  · 
 · 
cedar

Has anyone heard anything from Michigan?

They mentioned "admission decisions will be released during the week of February 24" at several points during the application process.

Feb 28, 14 4:26 pm  · 
 · 
WHEAT

Never mind. I'm an idiot. 

Feb 28, 14 4:26 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: