Archinect
anchor

Selling my Skill

biral

Hello Fellow Architects!

My stats:

Age 35, Female , BArch ( Non US degree) , MSAUD ( Arch and UD from Columbia) 

Experience: 3 years in a high end corporate firm ( 2006-2009) ( this is the only substantial  work experience I have ) 

2010-2011 : Worked contract basis , freelance

2012: Break ( took classes to get into health care which did not work - still in progress ) 

2013: Had a baby 

2014 : Working on polishing my skills to make myself marketable and getting my confidence back into working in fast paced professional environment.

Question :

What should I work on to gain more confidence as a professional  and also make myself marketable?

My list :

- Learn Revit ( I have worked mainly in residential so not sure how learning Revit will help me - whats your opinion?)

- Gain knowledge about NYC Building Code and Zoning laws ( I consistently see employers asking for this - any light on how to get this knowledge ?)

- Get registered - Passed CD failed SD and PPP then quit ( Will getting registered really help me become a more well rounded individual) ?

Please keep on adding . 

Thank you.  Have an interview for a part time gig . competing with young , energetic, eager, single , right out of college students, do I have a chance ? ) 

Jan 30, 14 12:07 am
BrianYamagata

Hi Picky! Glad to see that you're motivated to get back into the swing of things. You're in a position to which many are accustomed. It's definitely competitive out there, and the areas that you've acknowledged will definitely help you stand out.

Many firms use Revit (BIM), and having a sound understanding of that platform can only aid you in marketing yourself. Revit is an awesome tool not only for larger projects, as it's more about it's efficiency in document coordination than it is about the type of building on which you're working. Other programs that are useful to have proficiency with are SketchUp, Autocad, and a dedicated/precision modeling software (Rhino/3ds) as a bonus. 

In regards to code/zoning, that can easily be learnt through research/reading in order to get a basic understanding of the regulations pertaining to your projects. Codes are typically available to the public. For example, here's the NY state code: http://publicecodes.cyberregs.com/st/ny/st/

Also, check out your city's Development Services for information regarding zoning regulations. You should be able to get ahold of the entire text, and learn to your heart's content. 

Registration will make you an "Architect." You'll be licensed and can legally sign off on drawings for permitting. Typically it comes with a pay increase, and higher accolade in the profession. You may run into some circumstances where firms don't want any licensed professionals, as they'd rather pay less for the same type of work. Also, I've encountered, vicariously, some situations where principals see the ARE as a distraction to office work. It's firm to firm really; some firms want registered architects, some don't. Some will help you get licensed, some could care less if you do. 

In my opinion, get licensed. You went through school to become a professional. It's a shame that so many people are getting professional degrees without ever obtaining the accreditation to call themselves a professional architect. Do it for yourself, and use it as a selling point as a bonus!

Additional things you can do is:

-read architecture books for leisure...live architecture. It's a highly dedicated field, just like medicine. The more you live, eat and breathe architecture, the better architect you'll be.

-practice makes perfect. Don't just learn the above items, practice them. Apply them whenever possible, and make additional time to apply extra. 

-stay sharp. Architects by nature are problem solvers and critical thinkers. Becoming numb to your archi-senses will clearly show in an interview/dialogue with an architect/office. For funsies, simply spend some time here and there and search "architecture" on Youtube, TedTalks, Pinterest, etc etc. 

You always have a chance as long as you are confident that you are doing something you want to do, and you know exactly why you want to do it. I hope I've been of some help, and best of luck on your interview!!

Jan 30, 14 2:39 am  · 
 · 
biral

Thanks Brian, for your amazing response - so detailed and informative!! - specially your advice on staying sharp part. 

I forgot to add that I am a LEED AP too - I put that in my resume , it gave me a better understanding of designing green but not sure how  to apply it otherwise. 

OK -  I will get on board with the exams. I feel a bit shaky when it comes to knowledge in construction - I guess getting licensed will actually remedy some of that.

Interview went well. Lets see if I get a call back. 

Jan 31, 14 12:11 am  · 
 · 
biral

Other things to consider are getting into Construction Management. Working on the developer side. 

- better hours 

-better pay

but not necessarily less stressful. 

Anyone has any light on transitioning into the management side of things?

thank you.

Jan 31, 14 12:14 am  · 
 · 
gruen
Your list is good, but you really only get this experience by working. Concentrate on getting the job (even if you need to job hop to get what you want) instead of building your skill set on paper. PM me your phone number and we can chat...I have a few pointers that have never failed to get me a job.
Jan 31, 14 9:07 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: