Archinect
anchor

Condotels?

RealLifeLEED

Looking for any resources out there on condotels... trends, design guidance, case studies, economic considerations, etc. It's looking like there's not much out there that I can see...

Thanks!

Sep 24, 09 4:55 pm
brian buchalski
trump soho

first thing that comes to mind

Sep 24, 09 5:29 pm  · 
 · 
indefine

I can think of a couple, Canadian examples though.

Shangri la Hotel/Condominium - Vancouver
by James Cheng

One King West - Toronto
by (not sure of the architects here)

Sep 24, 09 6:00 pm  · 
 · 
treekiller

lots of condotel activity in Asia - it seems to be one of the preferred development models.

Sep 24, 09 8:14 pm  · 
 · 
holz.box

are you not looking? these things are everywhere. look @ NBBJ & Gensler's chicago studio... a bunch of recent designed in nyc

we have like 4 or 5 in seattle now. google hotel/residence (instead of condo)

nbbj's 4 seasons/condo (not awful, hella expensive)

collins-Woerman's 2200 westlake (awful)

weber thompson's madison tower/hotel 1000 (meh)

gluckman mayner's olive 8 (horrible)

kundig had two that looked relatively promising, but i think both are on hold...

is ms. gang's aqua tower a hote/condo?

Sep 24, 09 11:56 pm  · 
 · 
RealLifeLEED

holz.

Case studies help, and thanks. I'm well aware that there are plenty of condotels out there, but am more curious about design considerations that must be made that are perhaps different from that of a typical condo or hotel. Have you found much of anything beyond sales websites for these projects? Those are much fewer and far between.

For others that may be interested, ULI has a few articles available to members (or a book of about 150 pages worth of assembled articles for $80). Most of the ULI articles focus on the ambiguous nature of condotels as they relate to local zoning, leasing, and ownership arrangements.

Thanks again to all for the references!

Sep 25, 09 1:31 pm  · 
 · 
Distant Unicorn

You could start with the legal foundations.

The SEC may ban the loophole that obscures the true pricing scheme of such projects.

Right now, a purchased "unit" is considered an investment ... and like all assets of that variety, can be bought and sold much like securities can. This essentially means your value in your condo can be used as investment capital while at the same time you can rent it out.

Genius? Yes. Ethical? No. Legal? Still legal.

From a planning and real estate tax, they tip toe the line of being a "public accommodation" and therefore fall outside the bracket of regular taxation.

This basically means you're getting a substandard residence for what you pay but in effect, you're essentially ripping off everyone else involved and, by extension, getting ripped off yourself.

Sep 25, 09 1:37 pm  · 
 · 
euvolemic

The idea of a condo designed to be lived in part of the time and rented part of the time makes a great deal of sense. There is a huge potential in house swapping. Imagine a tower designed specifically for living and occasional vacation rental.

I am just starting a prospective project designing this nonexistent building type. If you would like to chat about it sometime send me and email.

Sep 25, 09 11:03 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: