Archinect
anchor

Trade Pricing

AlumiColor

Hi,

I am NOT the architect of record, but a friend of mine has asked for some advice on interior finishes for a home he is building and also asked me to get him the trade pricing for some tile. Is this going to get me into trouble? I have never been asked to get someone trade pricing before, so it never even occurred to me. 

Any help is appreciated. 

Thanks,

Alum

Jan 20, 14 10:31 am
gruen
I doubt it. But the rep or tile distributor who gives you the discount will want to be your buddy and will want possibly to see "your" home. What's the upside for you?
Jan 20, 14 10:34 am  · 
 · 
AlumiColor

Nothing really. The friend has just been pressuring me. 

When I asked for a quote from the rep and mentioned the client wanted this finish, I was given trade and normal price. I'm not sure if he was expecting me to buy the material and mark it up to my friend? 

Sorry for the naive questions, I've never done residential work before!

Jan 20, 14 11:30 am  · 
 · 

Yes, trade pricing means you get a discount because it's assumed you'll mark it up and that's how you make *your* money.  It also unofficially assumes oyu'll continue using the product so they profit from your practice.

Make sure somewhere in there sales tax is paid, or else you're screwed.

Jan 20, 14 11:37 am  · 
 · 
quizzical

@Alum: if you are "NOT the architect of record" then I presume that means there "IS" an architect of record somewhere who is being paid to provide design services. Why doesn't your friend just ask that architect to do what he's asking you to do ?

if you do decide to help your friend with the purchase of this tile, you should mark it up a little (at least) as compensation for your time.

Jan 20, 14 12:32 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: