Archinect
anchor

who's the boss?

awkeytect

Been reading a lot from the few firms who are seeking help and taking note of their requirements.
Its amazing to me how specific they can be about the software help they need and are requiring - and then the ramifications of the position. "This is NOT and will NOT lead to a design position within the office" -

Software knowledge is now a huge deal in getting a job. Not new- not my concern. In speaking with partners in several offices its their disconnect with the practice. They don't have that knowledge base - they NEED the youth.

So why are the graduates so cheap, and recyclable? Am I the only one who thinks that the knowledge in schools now is under-appreciated. Obviously, their is a lot kids coming out of school dont know - but how valuable really is the rhino modeling/ revit/ bim knowledge they have a hold of?
Business aside, are these not the essential tools of the practice?

May 19, 09 4:10 pm
hillandrock

It's not that knowledge is under appreciated... it is that it is over appreciated. The market is far too saturated, the "hipster" quality of college has been killed off by a mass influx of students and that most students cannot compete with either the star pupils or the douchebags who only profess the most relevant, trivial things.

May 19, 09 4:15 pm  · 
 · 
tagalong

what?

May 19, 09 5:03 pm  · 
 · 
binary

architecture is over-rated

May 19, 09 5:20 pm  · 
 · 
c.k.

awkeytect, don't let your bad grammar flood the fact that you have a valid point.
however, your post title is presumptuous and it implies that having some skills that are in demand should give you the leverage of .... a boss?

May 19, 09 5:48 pm  · 
 · 
Antisthenes

fire your boss

it works best

May 19, 09 9:59 pm  · 
 · 
Jah is my Co-pilot
May 19, 09 11:12 pm  · 
 · 
silverlake

I wonder if Tony and Angela ever did it. Aye Oh...

May 19, 09 11:19 pm  · 
 · 
Cacaphonous Approval Bot

ads are specific because they dont want to train you, they have specific set of tasks for you to do, and after that you can piss off. and because if you piss of there's another person in line who happens to know a little software, well everybody's brought to a low common denominator.

relevance of new knowledge? architecture has been happening for ages without a computer. Ill trade your bim for the ability to communicate clearly what a manufacturer needs to know about the changes and revisions that just happened in the last few hours without my having to tell you how to do it.

unless you're going to set up a shop as an interface between a firm and new technology, with that tech demonstrating a real advantage for them in some fashion, then the tech is irrelevant in a real way.

that said - I loooove rhino.
And I think that fundamentally what you sell is your intelligence.
Which means that everybody needs to be smarter and demand appropriate compensation for it.

and yeah tony and angela did it,

cuz tony digs that def leppard look.

May 20, 09 1:02 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: