Archinect
anchor

americorps/habitat for humanity

panzanator

Ive been playing around with the idea of doing a year of americorps habitat with humanity construction before I apply for MArch...

wondering if anyone here has any experience has heard anything of the programs, besides the fact that you get paid close to nothing(obviously)
thanks

May 15, 09 1:43 am
A.R.Ch

The community design firm I worked for last summer had a pretty healthy relationship with both Habitat and Americorps. Both groups do great work, however the nature and commitment levels vary considerably. From my experience, working as a construction leader on Habitat projects would better utilize an architectural education than would a comparable Americorps position, as Americorps volunteers tend to perform more transitory jobs that may not require a specific skill set.

May 15, 09 2:19 am  · 
 · 
snook_dude

My neice spent a long Summer working for them a couple of years ago, she was in Georgia, Alabama and Minnesota. Seemed like a good experience for her. She moved on to work for Amenisty International in Washington DC baby sitting a boss. I think the Habitat for Humanity gig was the more rewarding of the two.

May 15, 09 12:15 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: