evilplatypus
for rent

May 12, 09 12:05 pm
rethinkit

How much and where - tired of commuting from Daly

May 12, 09 3:19 pm  · 
 · 
Living in Gin

$1550 a month for 210 sf. Un-fucking-believable.

May 12, 09 3:24 pm  · 
 · 
WonderK

Hmmmm. On the one hand I am sad that someone pays $1550 a month and only gets 210 sf of space. On the other hand, his apartment is totally cute! And lately I've been thinking that reducing the amount of "extra stuff" that we hold onto might make our lives simpler. Kudos to him for making it work.

May 12, 09 3:35 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

I totally agree, DubK. I'm so ready to get rid of so much stuff. It's especially hard to do without appearing like a tyrant to my 6yo, though.

May 12, 09 3:48 pm  · 
 · 
blah

I had 510 sf in SF that was an amazing space. The ceiling went from 10 to 20 feet and there was a small story loft space. It was only $1500/month.

May 12, 09 4:10 pm  · 
 · 
Philarch

I'm pretty sure I lived in an apartment smaller than that for two years. Didn't pay that much, but it was still pretty insane. It can drive a person insane, living in such a small space.

May 12, 09 4:13 pm  · 
 · 
freeezerburn

what a sucker. people like this guy are the reason manhattan is prohibitively expensive. willing to pay any amount for the zip code.

May 13, 09 1:20 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

Well, I imagine he's paying for the things he can DO and SEE in that zip code, right? Which is why having an apartment just big enough to sleep, shower, and store clothes in is big enough.

May 13, 09 1:23 pm  · 
 · 
larslarson

i think the hate is crazy here...the guy made a nice efficient space, but we instead concentrate on his rent... nice. no wonder noone gives a shit about good design when we're such a bunch of backbiting whiners we can't even concentrate on the central issue of design and instead attack the guy for being a yuppy

1. he's probably willing to sacrifice money for maybe a shorter commute...maybe he's going to columbia, doesn't want to have roommates and doesn't want to take the train at 4 in the morning to get home by 6 or maybe he has more money than most of us and can afford it...

2. $1550 for a studio of any size in manhattan is not prohibitively expensive for manhattan...they easily go for 2-4k... even with the market down right now most one bedrooms/studios are going for around 1.5k. the sq ft is small, but if the building is nice it may be sort of an upcharge... unlike what most of the people here say this guy is not the problem...the problem in manhattan has been supply and demand...and the fact that there are alot of very rich people in manhattan. there are still many cheaper, larger apartments in manhattan. i live in chinatown for $1300 and have a bedroom twice the size of his apartment. and then a living room and kitchen besides...largest bedroom i've had in nyc, an anomaly i admit, but i also have three roommates. i am willing to live in a slightly rundown building for a five minute commute because i can't wake up in the morning, i love biking to work, i love being able to walk to pretty much anywhere in lower manhattan, i love not having to take the train...i sure as hell don't live here for the freaking zip code...comments like that are just ridiculous and petty.

3. there are a ton of other reasons to live in manhattan...bars, clubs, restaurants, museums, etc. i would also live in williamsburg and carrol gardens if i didn't hate taking the train so much.

May 13, 09 1:42 pm  · 
 · 
larslarson

apologies to the exceptions who actually commented on the space.

May 13, 09 1:44 pm  · 
 · 
hillandrock

lars, i more or less agree.

I have a friend who moved from midtown to the east village (her rent went up by three hundred dollars) but she was no longer paying for the subway, taxis and other transportation... so it easily evened out.

I would gladly pay more if it meant I didn't have to take the subway.

May 13, 09 1:48 pm  · 
 · 
sharkswithlasers

I lived in a similar amount of space as a freshman in my undergrad. I believe it was called a "dorm room". $1500 covered room AND board. For a whole semester.

Hmm... I'm getting older.

May 13, 09 5:44 pm  · 
 · 
larslarson

did you live alone? did you have a seperate bathroom and kitchen?
did you also pay tuition? was it in new york city?

May 13, 09 5:48 pm  · 
 · 
sharkswithlasers

Would you also need to see my W2's for the last five years? Maybe a school transcript or two? Height and weight, maybe?

Settle down, lars...

Was only making a silly comparison.

May 13, 09 5:55 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

Reminds of the U Boat tour I took at the Museum of Science and Industry

May 13, 09 6:05 pm  · 
 · 
larslarson

ok..maybe i was over the top...but 1500 at some land grant school in the middle of the country vs in nyc would be interesting to know to understand even a silly comparison...i was just wondering.

May 13, 09 6:17 pm  · 
 · 
freeezerburn

did anyone read the article? it says he is a real estate agent. maybe he is drinking is own kool-aid.

May 14, 09 9:38 am  · 
 · 
freeezerburn

sorry i mean, real estate developer. and is 32. point still stands.

May 14, 09 9:39 am  · 
 · 
sharkswithlasers

"...some land grant school..." ?

In any case, you keep bein' your fun self, Lars.

May 14, 09 12:41 pm  · 
 · 
bowling_ball

My ex had an apartment of the same-ish size (her kitchen was in a small room separated from the living space by a step and threshold). Anyway, she loved that place. I couldn't do it, but some can. I've been trying to live with less, with some success.

What I find funny is that he won 'cutest apartment' from a website... he couldn't arrange his place any differently, except to swap bed and couch locations periodically, as my ex did regularly.

May 14, 09 4:32 pm  · 
 · 
chaos3WA

i pay $1000/month for a 300 square foot place in a city way shittier than new york...

i think he's doing fine.

May 14, 09 4:53 pm  · 
 · 
le bossman

my greatest apartment was in bozeman, mt.

second floor, studio with partition wall.
tile entry
heat from gas (fake log) stove hooked into thermostat.
lovely stained glass window.
galley kitchen with skylight.
view of the bridger range.
one room painted blue, the other with wood paneling, gave a kind of "chic urban apartment vs. montana log cabin effect"
$500/mo, 400sf
because my closet had no door, i started arranging my clothes in color order
only 5 minutes from the rocky mountains

remains the wallpaper on my phone. god i miss that place.

May 14, 09 11:17 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

Aw, bossman, you need to move. Maybe not back to Bozeman, but somewhere happier than where you are now!

May 14, 09 11:31 pm  · 
 · 
Skis101

Anyone who has lived in San Francisco, Los Angeles, or New York understands that $1550/month isn't as outrageous as most people are making it out to be.

May 15, 09 2:20 pm  · 
 · 
freeezerburn

i DO live in new york. that IS outrageous.

May 18, 09 11:05 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: