Archinect
anchor

What makes a good bathroom 'good?'

We've all been in a superb bathroom once in our life—but what makes those bathrooms truly superb?

I ask this because I always feel like bathrooms tend to be an add-on... as in, I've met all the hypothetical requirements and now I have 200 square feet of unused space. And it doesn't seem hard to design a bathroom, it really is a toilet, a sink and a bathing area? But despite its simplicity, when a bathroom goes wrong... it really goes wrong.

So, what's a bathroom to you— privacy, safety, good light, lots of storage, comfort, a high-powered fart fan?

Jun 2, 11 4:11 pm
Rusty!

It's where I go to learn about hot rods.

Jun 2, 11 4:14 pm  · 
 · 
won and done williams

Wide bowl.

Jun 2, 11 5:09 pm  · 
 · 
gibbost

Many of the designer lavs are beautiful but lack any sort of utilitarian value.  You need lots of counter space for make-up, hairspray, toothbrush etc when you're getting ready.  Good lighting is critical.  Fancy toilet bowls make me feel uncomfortable.  Sightlines into the space!  (I can't stress that one enough).  Never enough storage space.

Jun 2, 11 5:18 pm  · 
 · 
Rusty!

James, your bathroom credentials are pathetic.

Jun 2, 11 6:13 pm  · 
 · 
jmanganelli

ideal height of bowl varies by age, that is an important consideration --- older people can have such trouble with low seats

Jun 2, 11 6:18 pm  · 
 · 
TaliesinAGG

120 degree angles, a comfy seat, and lots of mahogany plywood.

Jun 2, 11 7:28 pm  · 
 · 
jbushkey

An electric heater and included utilities!  Sauna anyone?

Jun 3, 11 12:13 am  · 
 · 
Kamu Kakizaki

I took a piss in a MARBLE URINAL at a bar in Liverpool, was the best bathroom... Or so I thought at the time.

Jun 3, 11 1:40 am  · 
 · 
eyewash

radiant heated floors (for bare feet), lots of storage & countertop space, tons of natural light (preferably from skylights), simple & clean materials and fixture selections

Jun 3, 11 9:02 am  · 
 · 
rodgerT
  • First off make sure it's tanked correctly.
  • Ventilation so mould doesn't grow and steam / odors are evacuated quickly.
  • Counter top storage
  • Hidden storage (lots of)
  • Accessible power points
  • Radiant heated floors are only good for people who shower at the same time each day, otherwise they are a waste of power and take too long to heat up.  A better option is a IR heat lamp which offers instant heat and usually doubles as an exhaust fan.
  • Practically proportioned mirrors
  • Natural light is big plus
  • Large recessed storage areas in the shower for shampoo etc, min 350mm hight clearance.
  • towel rail near shower
  • make sure lights don't cast shadow on face while in front of mirror
  • a double shower is more useful than a double sink
  • a mirror in the shower is a bonus
  • privacy (some architect designed bathrooms are laughably public)

Jun 3, 11 9:39 am  · 
 · 
diabetesreversal

A bathroom is where I can spend with nature call without being disturbed. and no one can see me doing it (privacy). It must be comfortable, has hot and cold shower, and clean..

Jun 3, 11 10:24 am  · 
 · 

heated towel rods are amazing, and there is this fancy thing which warms up a square of the mirror when you turn it on so it doesnt steam up when you are in the shower

other than that,... storage, water-pressure, and good lighting/natural light

Jun 3, 11 10:28 am  · 
 · 
tagalong

heath ceramics.

Jun 3, 11 12:22 pm  · 
 · 
jbushkey

A built in cam so you don't have to take self pics with your phone is the hot new trend

Jun 4, 11 12:09 am  · 
 · 
trace™

2 sinks.  Our realtor tells us we have to put two sinks in every bathroom.  So there are now two sinks in every bathroom.  If it sells, it is 'good'.

Personally, I'll take radiant floor heating.

Jun 4, 11 9:18 am  · 
 · 
jmanganelli

+1 radiant floor heating

Jun 4, 11 9:24 am  · 
 · 

Goodness, some of you sound more like engineers than architects.  

A good bathroom is really a cornerstone of luxurious living because it is our most private realm. The best of them should include exterior space as well as interior space so obviously an outdoor shower is a must.  

Personally, I feel that the most important aspect is to have an interesting ceiling above the bathtub; a barrel vault or perhaps a dome, yo!

Jun 4, 11 9:53 am  · 
 · 
snook_dude

I have in the past had clients request hard wired phones and TV's.  Fog free mirrors.

Did a whole bath/shower room in Black Slate. Floors Roof Walls with  undermount stainless steel tube and black slate surround. It was a fun project.  It was an American Take on a Japanese  Bath. Actually the tub did come from Japan in lieu of paying $10,000.00 for one from Denver.

Jun 4, 11 2:35 pm  · 
 · 

Worked on translating your suggestions today during my off-time— local sales force did ~$65,000 this month versus the usual $20k... drowning in paperwork.

Definite work in progress.

Jun 8, 11 2:43 am  · 
 · 
Ryan002

In many Japanese homes, it is imperative not to build a bathroom in the Kimon (North East) corner. Because that's the demon gate. Usually, some sort of block or shrine is set up there instead. For some reason, however, most of them will specify *bathroom*. I've always wondered about that.

Then it struck me:

Bathrooms are naturally terrifying places.

Think about horror films for a sec. Notice how many horror sequences take place in bathrooms? By some strange factor that I'm sure is beyond coincidence, horror movies are also more likely to feature architects.

Now I come from Asia, and over here, ghosts like toilets. Other S.E. Asians here can elaborate, but let's not get into that just yet. 

My cockamaime theory is that a bathroom is the direct opposite of a living room, which constitutes a "center". A living room is open and public, a bathroom is the inverse. Within the context of a given house, the bathroom constitutes the "other", as defined in the most Gothic literature sense of the word. 

Step into a bathroom and what hits you is a sort of psychological silence. A sense that you have "crossed over", and here, can indulge in the darkest part of yourself. I surmise that this is why the shower scene in Psycho works so well. Bathrooms denote a sort of vulnerable privacy.

Bathrooms are also home to many mirrors and reflective surfaces, are more likely to fog up, and it's where your body is naked and exposed. Don't even get me started about mirrors...

Jun 8, 11 3:50 am  · 
 · 
jmanganelli

So bathrooms are a portal to hell? That's true. Do not forget that bathrooms are laso where you call the candyman.

Jun 8, 11 8:06 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: