Archinect
anchor

Is an architecture degree worth it for urban design/planning?

aaron1

Hey y'all. This is a somewhat specific post but I'm hoping some people in the field may have some advice. I tried some relevant subreddits and got some good answers but I'm trying to get as many second opinions as possible.

I (22M) am about to complete my honours degree in urban design and sustainability. I'm very happy! However, I don't care so much about the policy side. I am very, very interested in design and designing urban spaces. I was going to originally pursue a degree in architecture but I wasn't really willing to sacrifice my work/life balance or wage as I heard a lot of very negative things about this profession. However, now that I have my "safe" degree, I was wondering if it would be smart to pursue an additional architecture undergraduate for 2 years to increase my chances of landing a design job while giving myself more options and opportunities. Is this a smart idea, or am I just kidding myself? Allow me to explain myself.

Ideally, doing this would a) give me a genuine reason to study architecture by making myself more attractive and qualified for urban design positions and b) open up future opportunities should any sustainable architectural positions come up and I qualify. I feel if I have an architectural degree, I am more qualified to design urban spaces. However, by doing this, am committing to another 2 years, 4 if I want an M.Arch to become a genuine architect. I don't know which option is better, but right now, I'm only considering the 2 years. I have to decide soon, as I don't really want to waste this opportunity while I'm young. However, is it just smarter to just start working? My only fear is this door closing if I do start working now, and I worry I won't want to return to school if I can land a long-term position.

TL;DR: does an architecture degree help at all in the urban design/planning field? I am considering getting an additional degree.

Aug 28, 24 4:09 pm
newbie.Phronesis

Why not a Masters in Urban Planning instead? Should make you more qualified/attractive than being yet another arch undergrad. Also, you're fully able to work in an architectural office as a planner w/o an arch degree and get to design the urban & planning elements; two partners at my previous office were planners.

My two cents - if you get an architecture undergrad you're more likely to be put to drafting/technologist work than any urban design, though do have better job security through your versatility. Unlikely to help you get hired over just getting some experience or going for the masters though.

Aug 29, 24 3:04 pm  · 
1  · 
Volunteer

If you are interested in designing urban spaces would not landscape architecture be a better fit than just architecture? 

Aug 30, 24 4:18 pm  · 
 · 
reallynotmyname

I've seen urban planners hire arch students and recent grads to produce drawings, renders, and graphics for them.  The high level content remained squarely the in the hands of the people with urban planning degrees.  The arch people were often temporary contract employees or low-level staff at best.

If you are in the USA, it seems like a Masters of Urban Design from a prestige institution like at Harvard or University of Michigan would be the place for you.   It seems like the best fit towards your stated goals to continue your studies and be positioned for employment.

Sep 3, 24 5:53 pm  · 
1  · 
whistler

Unfortunately the professional ranking of a Registered Architect typically out ranks a planner / urban designer / landscape architect.  I say typically but usually the Architect will take on the professional role of the coordinating professional and there by leads the team of sub consultants which may include all of the above or may not.  If you don't ever care to lead a project team and want to play a supporting role then the Urban Designer / Planner role is great and depending on the nature of the office and project type you may find yourself with really good opportunities but from experience I would say the Architect is usually the team leader.

Sep 3, 24 7:42 pm  · 
1  · 
BluecornGroup

In a word "no" - go for your American Institute of Certified Planners (AICP) certification which involves an exam much like the ARE - this is administered by the American Planning Association (APA) and is a future certification required for some governmental and private sector positions - I took Urban Design at UNM from Morton Hoppenfelt (Columbia, MD & Summerlin, NV) who was the dean at the time and a licensed architect - search "Morton Hoppenfelt" for much more information"  - the first day of this graduate course he stated "if you want to understand urban design you first must understand architecture" - as you know buildings are the building blocks of communities (cities) as well as other elements of the urban fabric - wide-area planning is so exciting with secure employment opportunities ...  

Sep 5, 24 12:00 pm  · 
2  · 
BluecornGroup

Me once again - this is some of what urban designers do - this is from a job description from this website ...

Urban Design: Develop comprehensive urban plans, zoning regulations, and land use proposals. Integrate sustainable practices into urban design and planning projects.
  • Conceptual Drawings & Renderings: Create detailed drawings, renderings, and visualizations to illustrate proposed urban layouts, streetscapes, parks, and other public spaces. Ensure designs are visually appealing, functional, and adhere to project requirements.
  • Site Analysis & Research: Conduct site analysis and research to assess land use, zoning regulations, environmental impact, and community needs. Use this data to inform planning and design decisions
  • Collaboration: Work closely with architects, engineers, landscape architects, and other professionals to ensure cohesive and integrated urban planning solutions.
  • Regulatory Compliance: Ensure all planning and design work complies with local, state, and federal regulations, as well as company policies.
Sep 6, 24 2:54 am  · 
 · 
rightangledevelopers

An architecture degree can provide valuable skills for urban design and planning, laying a strong foundation in spatial design, sustainability, and project management. However, specialized urban planning degrees may offer more focused knowledge in areas such as policy, zoning, and infrastructure. The choice between the two ultimately depends on your career goals and specific areas of interest.

Sep 11, 24 5:19 am  · 
1  · 
BluecornGroup

Well said - community resiliency in net-zero energy usage using localized micro-grids and integrated building systems (this is why you must understand architecture and construction methodologies) to address climate change issues is a major issue as is the affordable housing crisis - the creativity of pure architecture and urban design overlap to a great extent - energy policy will be in the forefront ...

Sep 11, 24 10:52 am  · 
 · 
newbie.Phronesis

Probably a bot, unfortunately - they're getting better at blending in...

Sep 11, 24 3:04 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: