Archinect
anchor

Question about pro-bono drawings and liability

Simal18912

I donated my time to create a basic set of construction documents for a local non-profit that builds houses. They are unstamped, although I do have my license. The municipality in which the house is being built does not require stamped drawings for this particular sized single family house. 

Where it gets complicated is that a member of the public asked this non profit for a copy of the drawings so that they could build a similar house on their own, not affiliated with the non-profit. 

My question is three-fold:

1. Who technically owns the original drawings? They were never stamped, and they were donated to the non-profit. Is it up to the non-profit if they want to give a copy to a member of the public?

2. What liability do I take on if I give permission to the non-profit to hand a copy of the drawings over to the private citizen?

3. Moving forward, is it better to stamp and put the standard fine print on these drawings, rather than hand over a "casual" set of drawings?

Any insight is appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Aug 31, 24 11:17 am
b3tadine[sutures]

You own the product. You take on all of the liability. I’ll stamp everything that is constructed, regardless.

Aug 31, 24 3:39 pm  · 
1  · 
bowling_ball

You need to talk to your professional association. That's the only relevant answer, since it depends so much on where you are. 

If you were in my vicinity, those drawings would have to be stamped, for example, for whatever stupid reason. But typically you would own the copyright to those drawings, so you get to decide who gets to use them (or not).

Aug 31, 24 6:32 pm  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

professional association? AIA? I don't think they can help.

Sep 1, 24 9:38 am  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

What does your contract say? Mine says I own the drawings and they cannot be used for other projects. Where I live, you have to stamp drawings if you are licensed whether or not the municipality requires it. A lot of states are the same. Check your state laws.

Sep 1, 24 9:37 am  · 
 · 

I don't know who 'owns' the project without knowing your agreement with the non-profit. However, I would definitely make it clear to them that you consider your effort a donation for them only and not to be shared with any other entity. 

Your liability to a third party is probably more limited - you didn't enter into any agreement or contract with them. Your defense would be that you didn't authorize their use of the set and therefore aren't liable for how anything was interpreted. 

Moving forward, it's better to have a very clear agreement and contract with them that says that your work is a single purpose use, for them only. 

Sep 12, 24 8:22 am  · 
1  · 

As others have said, look at your contract with the nonprofit.  

In most contracts (think AIA) the architect owns the instrument of service / design product.  This means you own the design and the client is not allowed to build any more of that particular design unless they pay your for it.  Obviously this can be changed in the contract language.  

1.  You own the original drawings and the nonprofit cannot give them out to others to build another project from it. 

2. You have all the liability.  

3.  It depends.  Personally, I would simply have things written in the contract.   

Sep 12, 24 10:26 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: