Archinect
anchor

Advice on getting more technical experience?

StarvingDesigner

I've been working as a designer for about 3 years, usually the 3D person generating a bunch of design options and doing simple documentation work with a few rare passes at detailing. I feel like it's really time to learn how a building is put together but stuck in my current role at work. Any advice on how to get more technical exposure?

Oct 22, 13 12:21 pm
gwharton

Get a job with a small firm. You'll wind up doing a bit of everything.

Oct 22, 13 12:22 pm  · 
 · 
geezertect

Yes, small firms and relatively small projects are the best way to see the process start to finish.  Also, spend as much time as you can looking at the working drawings of other projects, i.e. office stick sets.  Study them and study them and try to visualize what they are telling you.  Pour over every set of drawings you can get your hands on.

Oct 22, 13 2:14 pm  · 
 · 
gruen
Just go tell/ask your boss to put you on tasks that require tech knowledge (detailing, wall sections, etc) and work under an older/more experienced arch and learn some. If your boss refuses, look for another job
Oct 22, 13 6:02 pm  · 
 · 
LITS4FormZ

A year in the field (CM) would be all you need. 

Oct 22, 13 8:54 pm  · 
 · 
snail

Agree with the others - seek it out. I worked at two different small firms and both were good experiences, but at one I did a lot more technical work than at the other. It just depends on the dynamics of the particular office.

Oct 22, 13 9:03 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: