Archinect
anchor

2010 ADA bathroom design - increased size and requiremnts issues

slavicany

hi,

as per 2010 ADA guidelines clear space for the toilet cannot overlap with a sink. That increases  significantly the minimum size of a commercial  ADA restroom.  I have a few questions:

1. Is there any chance asking for a reconsideration and use 2003  design standard for a landmark building where  amount of space is limited? (NYC is municipality)

2. The building is 3 story and no elevator  at this time. (PA spaces on each floor) I understand ADA requirements that i have to provide  at least 1 ADA bathroom per floor. This  makes no practical sense. IS there a way to loo at this issue from another angle, and,say, provide ADA bathrooms only on ground floor?

3. Any creative designs to share on this issue?

Thank you

Oct 19, 13 4:32 pm
curtkram

ada is federal law.  municipalities don't adopt it like the IBC (which is a model code; the ICC made an example of what a building code could look like, and cities choose if they want to adopt it in part or in whole or not at all).  you can't get a variance or whatever against ada.

doesn't it say somewhere you can go up or down 1 floor to get to an accessible restroom?  there might be some leeway with existing conditions if it's not possible to upgrade restrooms, but if you can fix them you're required to fix them.  there is also the 20% rule to be mindful of.

consulting is $250/hr. 

Oct 19, 13 5:12 pm  · 
 · 

don't let him get to you slavicany.  he'd do it for $120.

Oct 19, 13 6:34 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: