Archinect
anchor

What are some good design firms in honololu HI?

DeTwan

I am moving to Hawaii here in a week. Does anyone have any suggestions for design firms that do interesting projects. I was just laid off from a rather large production firm that had 80 ppl. I am definitely not gonna work for a large multifamily firm ever again... So no multifamily firms please.

Dec 5, 08 7:08 pm

These guys have an office in Honolulu....

http://www.eightinc.com/

I looked into relocating there as well. There are a lot of high-end residential architecture firms practicing traditional hawaiian style. There are only a few firms with a strong modern style.

Enjoy wearing sandals to work.

Dec 5, 08 7:21 pm  · 
 · 
DeTwan

yeah I saw they had a job posting on here back in september but I call them and they are fully staffed... Any other suggestions.

Dec 5, 08 8:24 pm  · 
 · 
grid

Honolulu lacks a quality design culture in my opinion. I left because of that and the lack of creative firms there. Check out Urban Works as they have some creative people in their office.

Good Luck!

Dec 5, 08 8:36 pm  · 
 · 
WonderK

Just out of curiosity, why are you moving to Hawaii if you don't already have a job there? Are you a big surfer?

Dec 7, 08 2:08 pm  · 
 · 
brian buchalski

if you're unemployed...why wouldn't you move to hawaii?

Dec 7, 08 2:12 pm  · 
 · 
WonderK

Because it's the 3rd most expensive city in the country to live in.

Dec 7, 08 2:42 pm  · 
 · 
brian buchalski

if you already don't have an income...does it really make a difference?

Dec 7, 08 2:48 pm  · 
 · 
WonderK

Paying $1500 of imaginary money each month in rent versus $500 in imaginary money each month in rent? Sure does.

Dec 7, 08 2:52 pm  · 
 · 
Apurimac

...rather be unemployed and homeless on a beach than unemployed and homeless in a city.

Dec 7, 08 3:07 pm  · 
 · 
WonderK

...and that's why we're in a credit crisis.

Dec 7, 08 3:09 pm  · 
 · 
DeTwan

I was laid off after AIG closed. I was planning on going to Hawaii anyway but just never expected to get laid off. I looked for two months and no one was hiring... To make ends meet I have been serving food. It sucks but you become harder, and appriciate what you don't have. I refuse to work at one of these multifamily workshops anymore... They suck to life out of you and piegion hole you into being a drafter or CA bitch all your life... Looking for a small design firm that does interesting local projects. Don't worry I will make he'll or highwater.

Dec 7, 08 3:12 pm  · 
 · 
WonderK

Fair enough. I've been having a mental struggle with HNL lately myself so I was curious as to your motivation. I have a real ideological problem with it since it's such a place for the rich, and many of the people who live there are either rich, or serve the rich. And if you're not rich, it's like a prison for the economically disadvantaged - it's too expensive to leave. Albeit a gorgeous, tropical prison.

Dec 7, 08 3:19 pm  · 
 · 
Apurimac

how does being unemployed and homeless on a beach lead to a credit crisis? Sorry Wk, I don't follow your logic but i can see your beef with HNL.

Dec 7, 08 9:04 pm  · 
 · 
WonderK

It's the American logic of the past several years that got us into this credit crisis. "What, this house in this area is $700,000? I don't make anywhere near that and I don't even have a down payment but can I have it anyway?" "Sure!" That kind of logic is akin to the thought process of being able to be homeless on a beach rather than trying to live within your means, at least in my head. Do you think that it's CHEAP to get TO Hawaii? That plane ticket could be two months of actual rent in reasonably priced city, where you could look for a job. If this new crisis is indicative of anything it should be that we cannot have it all.

Dec 7, 08 9:46 pm  · 
 · 
brian buchalski

dollar figures & prices are all relative. besides, how is "reasonably priced city" defined?

having spent a fair amount of time abroad even $1500/month for rent start to sound very reasonable. all things considered, i believe the united states has been an incredibly cheap place to live in recent times.

Dec 8, 08 8:36 am  · 
 · 
odb

"I have a real ideological problem with it since it's such a place for the rich, and many of the people who live there are either rich, or serve the rich. And if you're not rich, it's like a prison for the economically disadvantaged - it's too expensive to leave."

That sadly describes most, if not all, cities in the USA today. I don't know if there is any place to escape that situation.

Dec 8, 08 6:27 pm  · 
 · 
DeTwan

Bump a zombie thread... ^ KANSAS CITY. The cheapest, coolest city I've lived in.

Get me on that EBT and that PCP.

Hawaii was fun until you realize that you moved there with a psycho and have a dead end career.

Winters will chill you to the core, and summer are talcum powder season, and make sure no one is textin and on that wet behind you while you be's driven and you's good. Good to make art, and start over here in KCMO.

All cities where there are suppose to be good architecture jobs are over priced... Oh babie get me on that EBT, N8&&er needz that PCP.... nothin's changed in 5 years, other that a lot of billionaires appeared on the planet than existed 15 years ago... explain that... muuurrr (beard stroking time).

Oct 29, 13 1:27 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: