Archinect
anchor

Layoffs....layoffs......

xaia

ok.

so are there anymore recent layoffs out there?

May 21, 09 6:32 pm  · 
 · 
jojodancer

BEING AN ULTRA SMOOTH OPERATOR, EXCELLENT SALESMANSHIP AND TEAM PLAYER ARE ABOVE ALL!

"NCARB exams passed
Master’s degree as opposed to B arch or other degree
LEED AP certification
AUTO CAD experience
Revit Experience
3d Rendering abilities
Construction document experience
Specifications writing experience
Hands on experience with a particular structural or construction system
Wood frame
Masonry
Cast in place concrete
Steel light frame construction
Precast concrete
Certification from other trade organizations
Illuminating Engineering Society of North America
CSI
ISO
Real-estate licensure
Degree in civil engineering
Degree in landscape architecture
Recognition in regional and or international design competitions
Furniture design experience
Professional organization affiliation
AIA
Association of Licensed Architects ALA
Urban Land Institute
AIBD American inst of building Design
House Plan Marketing Association
National Council of Building Designer Certification
ASID American Society of Interior Designers
ACADIA Association for Computer-Aided Design in Architecture
The Congress for the New Urbanism
Institute of Transportation Engineers
American Planning Association
The Institute of Brownfield Professionals
National Trust for Historic Preservation
National Town Builders' Association
The New Urban Guild...................................................................................................."

May 21, 09 7:07 pm  · 
 · 
jojodancer

"well even associate partners at SOM make waaaay more than 150k / year now..."

THIS IS NOT REAL.........NO WAY........IS IT?

May 21, 09 7:12 pm  · 
 · 
brushman

Why is Everyone hung up on SOM Associates making 150K a year?
At least someone is making a decent living in the Architecture profession, I don't see people complaining about what lawyers, doctors or dentists are making.

May 21, 09 8:13 pm  · 
 · 
brushman

Why is Everyone hung up on SOM Associates making 150K a year?
At least someone is making a decent living in the Architecture profession, I don't see people complaining about what lawyers, doctors or dentists are making.

May 21, 09 8:13 pm  · 
 · 
ExtrudeR

I believe it is "associate partners" and not "associates." By my reckoning, associates is a relatively senior designation, and being an AP is VERY, VERY senior. These are people with 17-20 years of experience, so let's get that established before people start getting too bent out of shape about this number.

May 21, 09 11:09 pm  · 
 · 
ExtrudeR

The previous is about SOM specifically. Somehow I left that little bit out.

May 21, 09 11:10 pm  · 
 · 
jojodancer

Na.......

Usually a hot, young and hard working designer would be promoted to Associate in 3 to 4 years, then to AP in 6-9 years.....

If the person is very popular among partners and knows how to do-the-right-thing, partnership could not be difficult to reach.

Fast track to partnership - if you can bring some super projects to the office :0

sorry too much S, O and M!

May 22, 09 1:53 am  · 
 · 
jojodancer

Almost forgot to mention and this happened in the 90's...

First you need to be a "super computer user" in order to be considered for any promotions....

May 22, 09 1:58 am  · 
 · 
Antisthenes

file your UI this week?

May 22, 09 4:41 am  · 
 · 
chicago, ill

To clarify:

SOM partners have a wide payscale, depending on seniority. Recently made partners aren't making salaries/bonuses of longterm partners, or name partners leading firm.

SOM associate partners aren't paid in $150,000 range, at least not in Chicago. (Maybe in NYC to reflect higher COL) Some very senior associate partners, who otherwise would never be tapped for partnership, may have made $150,000 range with bonus and profit-sharing included in calculation.

Re: flashy cars. Many firms at one time paid car-lease for partners, to subsidize transportation to job-sites and client offices. Prospective clients will judge an architect-candidate by his car, because car brand selection is a status indicator of relative success (or foolish priorities). Think of all the realtors leasing Mercedes, Lexus, etc. A prospective architect-partner here drove a beat-up rusty Suburu sedan, and dressed in washed-out black turtlenecks and slacks --- maybe he was making a statement, but he sure made a poor impression upon real estate developers when interviewing. Likewise, I knew a female real estate developer (who flamed-out big-time) who wore big cubic zircon jewelry to establish her "success" credentials to lenders, buyers, vendors, many of whom she subsequently stiffed. Real estate development attracts a number of "players" who realize that certain accessories are needed to establish credibility in a hurry.

Any new lay-offs pending? Things are still very slow in Chicago.

May 22, 09 10:00 am  · 
 · 
evilplatypus

If my realator drove up in a benz I'd find a new realator. Im pissed enough the broker fee is higher than the architects fee for putting out some ads and cookies and having an open house. Same goes for us - how do you think your client will feel when you roll up to their home in a more exspensive car then they? I learned this from Dad who's a contractor and drives a van, always has. We made fun of him for years about not having a good car even though He could easily afford one - Most people wants to spend their money with a guy who drives a better car than they do.

May 22, 09 10:16 am  · 
 · 

Honestly the car discussion is an exact opposite to one of the major lessons discussed in my "Concerns of the Professional" class in school.

One of the lectures was about status symbols and how they help sell your perceived worth. The professor's opinion was that if you drive up in a benz then you are perceived to be worth paying for a benz, but if you show up in a jalopy thats the pay scale you can expect. There is some point there, in addition, while an old beater is great for getting you around,if you get in a wreck its really likely your insurance will "total" the car and instead of transportation you'll end up with $1k in your pocket. Whereas a luxury car tends to retain its value much longer, and in the case of an accident you're more likely to have enough value left for repair work and/or to afford a new vehicle.

May 22, 09 2:04 pm  · 
 · 
archie

I can't believe you paid money to a college to take a class called "concerns of the profession" and status symbols was a lecture topic. Just more proof that students come out of school knowing about 10% of what they need to know to practice.

No way does a luxury car make financial sense. If you want to drive one, then don't kid yourself that it is a good business decision, and just get the benz. Look at ownership costs, insurance costs, the depreciation the second you drive off the lot, and the old beater cannot be beat if you are talking pure costs.

Your car is going to reflect you and your values. If that is in line with the kind of clients you want, then great. If you want to work with flashy developer Alpha Male types, get the BMW. If you promote green architecture, drive a prius. If you work with people who want something unique with style but value for their money, get a mini cooper. If you want to be perceived as a person who knows how to get the most for a budget, and inexpensive, drive the old station wagon into the ground.

May 22, 09 2:13 pm  · 
 · 

archie - it wasn't really a choice, it was a required class for graduation. It was affectionately called "nap time" because there was no work really involved.

The other topics included things like: Managing your 401k, writing a business profile, unemployment insurance, other things you can do with an architecture degree, etc.

May 22, 09 2:32 pm  · 
 · 

I hear N. Foster in England is starting to hire some of the 'redundants' back, but people who are going back are not feeling as loyal as they once were.
yet another cycle regarding the end of innocence..?

May 22, 09 2:45 pm  · 
 · 
sameolddoctor

i dont understand what the problem is with some architects making $150k a year. The real problem is that most of the others done make much. Lets attack the problem the right way.

May 22, 09 4:26 pm  · 
 · 
med.

I've heard of architects making far more than 150k.

May 22, 09 4:46 pm  · 
 · 
eCoDe

sure these partners who can make more than 250k / year did not vote for obama - Joe the partner would not do that.

May 22, 09 6:02 pm  · 
 · 
blah
I've heard of architects making far more than 150k.

Higher-ups at Foster's were making 200k in pounds and more 10 years ago.

May 22, 09 6:04 pm  · 
 · 
jojodancer

not surprised!

Norman should say a big thank you to China :0

May 22, 09 6:58 pm  · 
 · 
jabber
"partners who can make more than 250k / year did not vote for obama"

you might be surprised - 'Herbert Hoover' Bush was no particular friend to the owners of design firms. McCain would have been worse.

May 22, 09 9:14 pm  · 
 · 
gruen

large firm in Seattle lays off 10% of work force last week.

Jun 15, 09 2:51 pm  · 
 · 
med.

Damn I was joping this thread would just go away for good..... :(

Jun 15, 09 2:54 pm  · 
 · 
archie

One firm in pittsburgh lays off 10 out of a staff of about 50 two weeks ago.
Another planning firm gets rid of their architecture department of 10 and lays off a couple of planners to boot two weeks ago.
But a few firms start hiring.

Jun 15, 09 2:56 pm  · 
 · 
martini+1

HKS just laid off about 150 people nationwide. Friends at their local office say more cuts are coming. Expect a bunch of very senior people to go this week and over 350 more staff by the end of the year. That is, unless something dramatic happens for them soon. Yipes! Is it really that bad?

Jun 24, 09 12:01 am  · 
 · 
joe

heard more about continuing lay offs in Pittsburgh. small offices cutting salaries and hours for workers. haven't heard of one office that hasn't had to do so. and if you are out there, all the best. I'm available wink wink.

Jun 24, 09 1:00 am  · 
 · 
tidalwave1

martini-

i knew that they had more layoffs but didn't know how many. they expect more? they've already had a lot but that seems like a lot more!

Jun 24, 09 7:27 am  · 
 · 
stone

I heard a rumor yesterday that Gensler had a massive nationwide layoff, but have not been able to confirm. Anybody have any info on that - I heard it involved hundreds.

Jun 24, 09 7:34 am  · 
 · 
archie

Joe, there are actually a couple of firms hiring in pittsburgh. Check out the local AIA linked in page. Not nearly enough to make up for the massive layoffs of course, but at least it is a start. You should go to the friday lunches for unemployed architects if you have not been going already. At least lunch is free.

Jun 24, 09 9:16 am  · 
 · 
med.

I don't know what went wrong at HKS... I have/had a lot of friends who worked there and they were busy up until the first round of layoffs in the fall. Last I heard (around April) they had four rounds.

I know that they did have some internal financial problems before the recession and I understand that healthcare has slowed down but with the type of work that HKS does, I didn't expect them to fold like that....

I can understand when guys like Gensler, SOM, RTKL go down because of their involvement in highrise office and mix use (particularly int he Middle East) which has virtually evaporated.

Jun 24, 09 10:02 am  · 
 · 
Peter Normand

Do we (this chat list) believe the majority of those laid off are interns and professionals who would not have the license, skills, and or resources to start their own firms? I think some places are holding on to registered architects for production purposes and ditching their interns before they get their IDP. Keep friends close and enemies closer. Are there any first hand accounts of this kind of thing going on, I imagine some firms would not want to send a project or clients with future projects out the door along with their recently cut staff.

Jun 24, 09 2:07 pm  · 
 · 
archie

It is across the board. Many of the lay offs are staff who are plus 50+ years old. Many times the more expensive person went first to keep two interns.

Jun 24, 09 2:12 pm  · 
 · 
file

I generally concur with archie ... firms are looking very closely at "value" -- what can someone do to help the firm and how much does that person cost. if the value equation is high, they're likely to be kept during a downsizing. if the value equation is low, then that person becomes vulnerable when the cost structure must be reduced.

Quite frankly, that's how it should be, IMHO.

Jun 24, 09 2:25 pm  · 
 · 
blackflag

The layoffs at HKS baffle me. A LOT of great talent has been let go. And seniority or "title"....doesn't mean squat to whoever is doing the cutting. A trend in rounds 4 and 5 seemed to target "family" employees - those with dependents. Insurance renewals had just been completed prior to Round 4 - it's very suspect, but nothing can be done. After five rounds, nepotism is very evident in the firm, or at least at the "mothership".

Project diversification WAS a big feather in their hat - it was noted in several "state of the firm" presentations that where other firms had failed in the past by focusing on one or a couple of project types, HKS had "weathered the storm" by having their hands in lots of pots.

I think the strategy of buying regional firms prior to the economy going south, didn't help HKS. The overhead and management from these regional firms have had to be accomodated. Great staff in the home office has been the victim.

The moral must be taking a beating. Though not particularly happy with them, I do wish they'd "right" their ship and stop laying off decent employees.

Jun 24, 09 3:00 pm  · 
 · 
file

blackflag -- what would insurance renewals have to do with layoff decisions, unless HKS provides full family coverage for every employee, which would be more than highly unusual. I don't know any design firm that can afford to provide that level of benefit, even in good times.

Jun 24, 09 3:05 pm  · 
 · 
blackflag

file....my speculation, apologize. HKS did not provide full family coverage. It's suspicious when we turned in our insurance renewals a few days before the layoff Round 4.0 and a lot of those laid off had families. Most were busy. Associates that were PAs had projects they're working on with months left on schedule. There is no rhyme or reason with who they're laying off.

Jun 24, 09 3:19 pm  · 
 · 
file

blackflag: it very well may be that the firm had been protecting the family people in the early rounds, but didn't have the flexibility now to continue doing that.

when it gets this late in the business cycle, the decisions about who stays and who goes become almost impossible to make. I know from our own firm's struggles with those decisions, when you have to cut costs further, after several rounds of layoffs there are no "obvious" choices left -- every decision you must make is extremely difficult.

what I do know is that the studio staff won't ever fully understand the decisions that we do make.

Jun 24, 09 3:37 pm  · 
 · 
Canary Trace

Was this really only last fall?

from BD online:

“HKS expanding despite credit crunch”

2 October, 2008

By Anna Winston
HKS boss Ralph Hawkins says laying-off staff is like shooting puppies but how does he plan to weather the storm?

link

Jun 24, 09 4:02 pm  · 
 · 
aquapura
Do we (this chat list) believe the majority of those laid off are interns and professionals who would not have the license, skills, and or resources to start their own firms?

From what I've seen and heard there is a mix of who's let go. A lot of older Architects have been more or less forced into early retirement - some voluntarily for the good of the firm, other's just laid off when they refused. Lots of support staff - admins, accounting, CAD techs, etc. Some PA's, but mostly older ones that probably cost more. Oddly enough the youngest (and cheapest) PA's and tech's have all been weathering the storm quite well, at least from what I've seen and heard locally. I have suspucions that I've been put on reduced hours because of my relatively high wage and level of experience. A fresh intern is content working at under $40k whereas I'm not and when work is thin the accountants are running more of the show than normal. Having a stamp is by no means a measure of job security, but having the right friends and knowing how to play office politics goes a loooooong ways.

Jun 25, 09 8:41 am  · 
 · 
blackflag

Canary Trace....Yes. Sad how things can change. Ralph's "three-prong attack" of healthcare, education and sports venue has not kept HKS from laying off since late 08. I think healthcare is staying busy, but from what I heard from former co-workers, HKS-HC took a big hit with layoffs last week. The Dallas office lost out on the new Parkland Hospital project to a collaborative effort by HDR & Corgan.

aquapura....I concur with your assesment of things. My stamp and title did nothing to protect me...if only I had been more political, maybe things would have been different.

Jun 25, 09 9:03 am  · 
 · 
BlueGoose

I'm not really sure I know what you guys are mean when you talk about "office politics" and "being more political" - from the perspective of an employer, my partners and I all are hypersensitive to employees who put form over substance when the economy starts slowing down. "sucking up" is painfully obvious and, IMO, carries no weight whatsoever - in fact, it may be detrimental to job security.

as I noted in a post above, firms that are paying attention are paying attention to what individuals contribute and how that contribution relates to cost. I won't say that politics and personal relationships never have a bearing on decisions that must be made, but no firm is helping itself if it keeps the purely political and sheds the competent.

your best defense is doing your work efficiently and well. however, I do confess that, in an economy this weak, even that may not provide the desired level of job security.

Jun 25, 09 9:22 am  · 
 · 
archie

Versatility is another trait that will keep you employed longer. By that I mean if you can only work on educational projects, or only large new construction projects and you fall apart if assigned an interior refit, then you will be let go instead of someone who can handle anything thrown at them. That applies to overall project skills too. If you can do design, but you have very little experience or skill at CD's, the person who can do design, cd's construction administration, etc will win out, even if less skilled a designer. When firms are lean, they need to all be multi-taskers.

Jun 25, 09 9:28 am  · 
 · 
blackflag

BlueGoose - I didn't play politics - but saw a few that did and they're still employed. Working efficiently - actually having to work hard because management laid off our team - is what many of my fellow laid off employees and myself were doing. The economy is rotten and I know firms are making tough decisions on staff - not all firms have politics. I whole-heartedly agree with your stance working effeciently and not playing the "office games" - I wish more principals and their managers believed in this concept.

Jun 25, 09 9:41 am  · 
 · 
BlueGoose

blackflag: I'd be interested to know what sort of political behavior you observed from the "few that did".

Jun 25, 09 9:49 am  · 
 · 
aquapura

I agree with blackflag and concur that things might be different for me if I were better friends with the right co-workers. I've yet to see someone who is "tight" with the management level to get laid off or cut in hours, regardless of their actual contribution to the firm. Without a doubt there is a nepotism/favortism that exists in all firm cultures. I would also say that many cuts have appeared very reactionary, i.e. cut those that are slow, regardless of their talent or skill. Mind you this is a very large firm and they don't tend to do a lot of staff shuffling between studios. Still, in any downturn you'd like to think management is going to keep the best, most qualified, and historically most productive staff on board. My perspective may be biased but I don't think the downturn has been well handled.

Jun 25, 09 10:05 am  · 
 · 
Canary Trace

"- not all firms have politics"

For better or worse, I believe that politics are always at play on some level, whether it be at the HKSs of the world or at the smallest of shops. In my experience, some decisions even come down to how the employee in question is perceived by outsiders; IE: other friends/colleagues in the city, Clients (of course), and even spouses and/or family members may influence decision making.

I can only control my own performance and attitude; my goal is to aim for authenticity rather than try to be something I'm not...

Jun 25, 09 10:10 am  · 
 · 
blackflag

Goose: I will give you one example now - obvious to many employed or previously employed at the fim...NEPOTISM. There are several relatives of upper management working in positions from admin staff to designers and architects. Some are very good at what they do; others are good people, but average (not at all incompetent) when it comes to their work. Trading notes with others, no one can recall any being laid off, after five rounds of layoffs. I have some more examples but will address later.

aquapura: I agree with your observation of those that are "tight" with management. BGoose, this is sort of the example I was alluding to a moment ago. I know of two young VPs that were great at self-promoting but sucked at good leadership. They could do a great job of going behind the back of team and project managers to undercut them, but yet they were the ones that were constantly being seen going to lunch with upper management or hanging out in their offices.

Canary: You're correct - politics is everywhere. There are good politics...wait, I don't believe that's possible. I like your end remark of your response....to sum it up: BE YOURSELF!!! Great words, thanks!

Jun 25, 09 10:22 am  · 
 · 
martini+1

My friend at Hill/Glazier (HKS bought then two years ago) mentions they seem to have a steady workload. People who can afford seven and eight star resorts do so regardless of the economy. It is other offices that are hurting. Lack of diversification does not help and playing catchup is difficult. In time they will recover.

It may be a case of putting too many ducks in too few baskets. When the economy tanked, they got burned.

Jun 26, 09 12:35 am  · 
 · 
file

An excerpt from the AIA most recent Work on the Boards survey report:

"Employment at architecture firms was down 2,000 in April (the most recent month available) bringing losses to almost 22,000 from April 2008, and 31,000 from their high in July 2008. Through April, architecture firms have ... reduced their payrolls by almost 14 percent. In contrast, throughout the broader economy payrolls have declined only 4.3 percent since the recession began at the end of 2007."

I post this only because it's about the only actual data I've seen published on this topic so far.

Jun 26, 09 9:26 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: