Archinect
anchor

Incorporating [possibly academic] research activity into practice (research-based practice?)

MixmasterFestus

Hi Archinectors,

I've been wondering lately about architects or allied practitioners who incorporate academic activity (producing and communicating new knowledge) into their professional practice, rather than the other way around (e.g., a professor with a side practice).  

Do you fund your research with grants, as an add service to clients who request research, or self-fund?  Do you publish in academic journals?

Two firms off the top of my head that seem to have R&D departments (or at least budgeted hours for R&D activities) are Cannon Design and Kieran TImberlake.  I'm not so sure about the latter, but the former does have a research department that has published white papers at least (and may have produced refereed journal articles).

Can you guys think of anyone who does this, or are you perhaps doing this yourself?

Thanks! 

Sep 3, 13 7:15 pm

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: