Archinect
anchor

Hi all you fancy graphics lovers

T-SHIRT COMPETITION BRIEF

Good luck and have fun!

Jul 13, 05 3:19 pm  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

Christopher Walken! - Code for Jesus Christ - Thank you to my wonderful wife for that one.

Great idea! That was quick Paul, how long have you had that brief in waiting?

Jul 13, 05 3:33 pm  · 
 · 
WonderK

Hysterical. I was just catching up on the thread, the best post has got to be Page 10, betadinesutures' "fun with translation" post. I laughed out loud for about 5 minutes.

Congrats to A for post 1000. Or was it driftwood? Hmmm. Anyway, we had all better do this t-shirt competition.

Jul 13, 05 4:07 pm  · 
 · 
st.

how many people have managed to stay on on per's good side enough to be granted permission to use one of his images for the shirt?

i, unfortunately, have been a roman since page 3 or 4, i think.

Jul 13, 05 5:02 pm  · 
 · 
geno

this thread is a filibuster.....

"an intentional delay of normal business"

Jul 13, 05 5:08 pm  · 
 · 
Medit

lol .. congrats Per, you won't have any intelectual rights on your 3d method but you've got an honorific archinect t-shirt...

Jul 13, 05 5:09 pm  · 
 · 
le bossman

well, i would like to change my mind. this is now the greatest thread i have ever seen

Jul 13, 05 5:27 pm  · 
 · 
Per Corell

Wrong ------ anything so unique define itself, where was it you seen this before, ----- this is so special it carry a very personal form language.

If you do not agrea tell me where it was you seen this before , please tell me who made such thing before , such graphic such structure :

Ain't it just unique.

Jul 13, 05 5:30 pm  · 
 · 
geno

because it's been completely hijacked.

Jul 13, 05 5:30 pm  · 
 · 
geno

the thread.
not the 'special structure'.

Jul 13, 05 5:31 pm  · 
 · 
Per Corell

Eh btw. ------- do anyone realise how little the actural material cost are with allmost anything except cromeplated-gold ?

When you know you would care less about "expenses" compared what people pay, if you know just the percenteage on the trivial things you buy --- realy the chair you rest, what percenteage of your cost do you think the cost of the materials are ?

Eh.

Jul 13, 05 5:35 pm  · 
 · 
A Center for Ants?

per-

How would one go about weaving cotton fibers in a 3d-h compatible method? I am searching for a manufacturer that can make a cotton or poly fabric that will utilize your idea for the t-shirt contest. Would the qualities of organic cotton suit the structure or does materiality matter within the structure. Perhaps a polymer chain such as polyester would be more suitable? It should be dense enough to hold a standard silk-screen transfer as well. I would love some input.

Jul 13, 05 6:08 pm  · 
 · 
A Center for Ants?

Oh, and I'd like to ask permission to use your graphics on the website for the T-shirt.

Jul 13, 05 6:09 pm  · 
 · 
Luis Fraguada

you can make your own in formz!

Jul 13, 05 6:14 pm  · 
 · 
Per Corell

Acfa no problem use the graphics you want.

Jul 13, 05 6:41 pm  · 
 · 
chupacabra

Lars Spuybroek beat you to the punch Per

http://www.evdh.net/sonohouse.html

Jul 13, 05 7:34 pm  · 
 · 
driftwood

Hi Per-

Can I use your graphics too?

ACfA-

I'm certain that I remember seeing a program on PBS that showed the Inca had developed a method similar to that which you're speaking of that I'm sure could be applied to 3D-H t-shirt production. Unfortunately, the skills and knowledge necessary to reproduce the pattern and quality of the weave have been lost to time.

I say we stick to Hanes Beefy T's. They rock.

Jul 13, 05 8:12 pm  · 
 · 
sharpie.

does anyone live near per? do people at his place know what per does all day? just curious...

well, i wud also like to give it a shot. per with your permission?

why did`nt u ever think of publishing a book if you thought it was so radical per? wud`nt it better communicating to people that way? do you feel your work is so cheap to make people see them only on the web?

how long are you gonna continue this? is there a meaning in what you are doing?
no offense, but WHY???

atleast i get to have fun designing a t-shirt...

no lenghthy posts pl.

Jul 14, 05 1:38 am  · 
 · 
bigness

1000...it's beautifdull...thanks to you all...

Jul 14, 05 6:19 am  · 
 · 
Per Corell

Hi

chameleon ofcaurse this board are not the only mean I use , I am publishing papers but I decided to wait untill they are distribuated to announce it. All I can tell is that you will be surprised what magazin.

True allready my life been quite exiting , but even I also read books I allway's wondered why reading somones story esp. mine shuld be so interesting ----- true just starting 68 buying my first huseboat and living onboard various vessels for 30 years point to some exiting storyes and true some of my experiences and people I known ,top most of the boring danish novels , realy I guess I tried it all and not all was as plesant or exiting you would think ,some charecters realy are worth their own book and their illusion and the way they shaped other people I knew ---- but the best books are those that was lived not those written.
You see I been doing so many different things --- allway's looking to start a production doing that you need to master the mashines and the hand tools and the only way I been able to do that, been to learn it the best way I could ------ at one point I needed some manuals for a CAD program . I went to the architect acadamy but at the libory they had to point me to the computer workshop and when I asked for the manuals there a guy said " well the manuals are over there, the computers and plotters are there as you see, and if you can maneage yourself and don't need to ask, just switch on a computer and do your homework --- as long as you don't interupt just find a chair" ; it was 3 month before they found out that I wasn't registrated as student, but at that time it was to late , as at that point the workshop was running.
I used the place for the next 3 years. ------- now is that something others like to read ; when I finaly mastered wooden boats building and could do the software, then I realised no one realy wanted wooden boats anymore and even it was nice and acturly exiting designs, then the patents I had on hand --- methods I develobed to build better and faster -- , was 50 years to late but what could I do, I now mastered a difficult proud craft and was able to combine with at that time top digital technology, but then what no one wanted composite wooden boats and the economy having a workshop was dependant on what carpenter jobs and mast ring production could pay.
Is that any subject for a book I don't think so, a book must deal with people not one charecters fight to make it being perfectionist.

Anyway everything being published are free-download, I never gave up that attitude.

Jul 14, 05 6:43 am  · 
 · 
sharpie.

whatever.. congratulations per at 68? whoa!! how`s it going at designcommunity forum?
enjoy!

Jul 14, 05 7:30 am  · 
 · 
Per Corell

At designcommunity it had been more difficult --- I don't know why but it seem that out of 100000 there allway's be one that simply don't want to realise that you get just what you pay. And as I am not there to support a the old way's , it will be an even bigger surprise when things start to happen. Still I guess you know that I rather look ahead then hopefully they still can learn -------- anyway it cost to have the oppotunity to display your works but looking at the numbers and counting neative and positive response it all add up.

Jul 14, 05 7:48 am  · 
 · 
urbanisto

Per - you should have written that post about 900 posts earlier....
would have helped me a lot in understanding your causes
(maybe you posted something about your history "developing" 3dH, if so I am sorry that I really did miss one post)

Jul 14, 05 7:52 am  · 
 · 
urbanisto

(I meant the post BEFORE chamelon's)

Jul 14, 05 8:25 am  · 
 · 
sharpie.

what "develop"? its develoB

Jul 14, 05 8:32 am  · 
 · 
Per Corell

Hi

The trivial problem with most things you build, is that framework you rest the panels. My attitude if you been in the situation you find in shipsbuilding is quite strait forverts ---- ships and boat plans carry the essensial enginering issues; you follow the front view and place the frames but it is a hell ,as projecting and calculating the shape of a rib in a boat is that basic drafting process going from plane to plane checking the points ------ fact is that if you could just place the frames equaly distribuated , but then they would not follow the planes and they would be difficult to place on the keel. Now it is all a practic issue, but when you learned how to translate points from one plane to another, all your frames or ribs will be strait and paralell not distribuated as lines in a computer mesh , but it is still a matter of "lofting" , transfering the shape of the frame onto the material from the scaled planes, so it can be cut, and _then_ placed on the keel to be able to carry the panels.
Now I guess I described this tradisional method as difficult and troublesom as it is ----- then my aproach with the computer was, to be able to shape boat hulls freely with a CAD program ( AutoCAD ver 2.6), even to 3D morph between two different designs, and ontop unroll the panels from the chosen design and then do the most difficult part ; exact frames for the panels to rest on from that model.
------ Now that is not any problem with a 3D model as you can just slice the model and the shape of the building frames are there, this is _much_ easier with a computer than with 3 plane paper drawings, but.
------ with a framework for just a reasoable size object, the frames will just be difficult to place, nothing are supporting them, they are just swinging in the air, and _then_ 3D-H are just a natural mean in this process it come in quite natural solving that problem and at the same time adding more strength plus flexibility ; the ribs will support eachother, they will exact follow the form that made the unrolled panels as the framework are sliced from the same model that is unrolled, still the hull can still twist.

But this method work in so many other applications ,and when you start 3D-H slice various objects, like houses, planes and barge-bridges modeled as "real" houses with floors and walls, as real planes with engine foundations and real float bridges with road-deck, what you see , are a framework that offer somthing quite new. ------- at that point I had to chose my direction, as what suddenly showed ,solved that many of the trivial and time comsuming problems I experienced in tradisional projecting ; the concept was easily expanded into offering a framework for whatever complicated structure.
This was how the concept in short develobed now more then 10 years ago ; I was used to the tradisional planes and hardly could belive what I could see, so I know the trouble most people and also most profesionals face when trusting their eyes, --------- there are not much theoretic about this ,mainly it came as a side effect doing the build with the digital tools, writing those programs just translating how you build the tradisional way, still this was exiting new ------ but thruout understanding what this acturly mean, that ,could be an exiting experience as this realy connect the 3D drawing and the manufactoring mashin, and this is what is needed today beside develobment of new materials fit for that process ------ most other projecting depend on the old way, even most cuting edge software are not taking the full step, I rather take that step and see if the ground will carry.

Jul 14, 05 8:55 am  · 
 · 
A Center for Ants?

driftwood -

you right wing gun-toting bastard! beefy-t's? sha! as if! c'mon. we're a little more hip and politically correct than that here. it's american apparel organic cotton sweatshop free t's for us!

Jul 14, 05 12:19 pm  · 
 · 
driftwood

ACfA-

You left wing commie-pinko poofter! American Apparel is for yuppy New Urbanist suburbanites. Hanes® products are proudly made in only the best of sweatshops, found on the rich, fertile, morally outstanding soil of the United States of America!!

Plus they're BEEFY®!! I mean come on!

Jul 14, 05 12:49 pm  · 
 · 
driftwood

Hey Per!!

Perhaps you could post a comment to the news brief about the 'hi all you fancy graphics lovers' competition and let everyone know they can use the images you've posted here for their t-shirt designs.

Jul 14, 05 12:52 pm  · 
 · 
A Center for Ants?

New Urbanism Soy Latte Yuppie Hipsterdom got your Suburban Sprawl Golf Course Residential Development Fox News ass on lockdown!!! What what!

Jul 14, 05 1:02 pm  · 
 · 
driftwood
Nothing

can lock down the neo-conservative, military-industrial complex!!

Your pretentious, fashionable, consignment-bought, black 'hipster' garments? Laced with black dyes and chemicals developed by the tobacco industry to addict you 'style' and make it easier to identify you when the time comes.

The over-paid, agressively moody baristas who serve your every whim, no matter how rediculous? Genetically engineered super soldiers, designed to follow complex battle plans without hesitation or extraneous thought.

You and your way of life is doomed!! DOOMED!!! Mmmmwwwaaaahahahahahaha!!

Jul 14, 05 1:19 pm  · 
 · 
Per Corell

Hi
Driftwood I am used to talk very general , ofcaurse the whole campain can be refered the pictures distribuated just to promote a new building method are already part of a campain, --- eh I also offer free-download boat plans they work and are better than the tradisional ones , beside my whole role are about just providing the tool Im'e not an architect Im'e designing building methods not providing volume, and the graphics published on the web allready are avaible as such already . ------- Still as you point out, you can build heaven or hell ,if that is what you want ; the vorse structure ever provided with top modern real digital cutting edge design and production tools, the vorse or the best ,a monster of hell - or you could project a wonder.
Im'e glad I am not an architect just a designer .
Beside I think it is more important to design safe houses than instalations. I think new methods shuld provide the best not nessery the most spetacular.

Jul 14, 05 2:22 pm  · 
 · 
JohnProlly

My brain hurts.

Can someone sink this ship?

Jul 18, 05 1:52 pm  · 
 · 
Per Corell

Hi
Sinking ships in general deal with knowing the fysics, if the ship are enginered well it maby can't sink. But I guess you by ship ,mean progressing the issue of this tread --- issues that deal with fabrication projecting , forming and shaping with new means , new production new results ---- why is it you think this ship can be sunk.
Who would progress ?

Jul 18, 05 4:36 pm  · 
 · 
Per Corell

Anyway if the goal had been a ships hull that provide maximum safety, one that by detail enginering carry tribble vilume ---- case a hole in the outher hull then the inner hull will still provide, plus if the hull of the ship are made so that it form an unsinkable collection of volumes --- well why is it that ship _must_ be sunk ? Are your attitude rather unproving or trying to sink something , how can you expect something progressive will grow from that attitude ?

Anyway if you want a ship with just those abilities, that even the outher hull are totaly dameaged and the hull still will float, then try look at the Tsunami-Longboat designs in the link at the bottom, these designs are made to provide just that safety plus being the ideal platform for both Pover and Sail ;

Tsunami-Longboat group

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Tsunami-Longboat/

Jul 18, 05 4:48 pm  · 
 · 
Per Corell

Btw. the graphics where this hull look as water filled, is just that test of volumes ------- how do the volumes normaly over water and sealed, reflect their draft case the shell object looses the uplift of halve the cubes.
Well the calculations are avaible for anyone who download the WRL 3D file , ------- with the 3D model you can measure boyancy and behaviour , if you are a good designer you proberly can do this without a computer, but here are your chance ------ do some real arguments against this ship, go calculate the volumes and the behaviour of the hull in salt water.
For fresh waters you proberly could do with less.

Jul 18, 05 5:08 pm  · 
 · 
JohnProlly

No I was speaking Metaphorically for someone to end this madness.

Dont care. Dont care.

Jul 18, 05 5:15 pm  · 
 · 
JohnProlly

Besides your renderings look like some 1996 Open GL garbage.

Jul 18, 05 5:16 pm  · 
 · 
Per Corell

Hi
You see I design boats ,with these it don't care how they perform at a web site it is all about designing the shape and do it so that the boat in real 3D work as how you designed it from the indicidual frames. Realy nothing bother me less than the trend of software ,I even remember how the plain Ibm. Text matrix display cards in just black and yellow was fully cablable to offer a good picture of a design , better even at those times, than the EGA or early VGA standards.
Now there proberly are a bit difference designing screen and web issues , oposed 3D CAD models where the CAD program offer things not down Pixels but measures down millimeters so I wonder if your critics come from a attitude comparing apples with bananas --- When I "design" I use a CAD program as that describe any aspect I need , the measures , how the thing display in perspective but ---- My works with boat design must work in real condisions and gravity, so it is not just enough that the things make a fancy attitude , it don't count anything comparing the boats abilities if the presentations are black and white, if the pages are written in C++ or Java ---- and if you go here and blame me not being as smart as you, if you think this is a web publishing issue, please start critic for that and don't make this a software politic issue about what is "design" and what you want the word "design" to cover. If you are a shoemaker do not blame a baker that his bread are not sewn with what cutting edge shoemakers see as the only right thing to do.
Please ------- if you are such Java fanatic let go of boat design and develobment of building methods ; these have to work so they need to be 3D ; a CAD program nomatter how unfancy you think it is compared Open Gl. garbeage as you call it ---- what shuld I care, I am a designer for mee the computer are a tool not a religion.

Jul 18, 05 6:31 pm  · 
 · 
FRiTZ

what?! no this can't be over, why has no one posted in like 8 hours, this was just getting good

Jul 18, 05 7:10 pm  · 
 · 
FRiTZ

few!! just the time difference playing tricks on me.... ramble on please.

Jul 18, 05 7:10 pm  · 
 · 
big dead elephant

you see daby, this is a good example of what happens when you involve autistic people in the community.

Jul 18, 05 7:20 pm  · 
 · 
Per Corell

Like asking web designers do boat design ?

Jul 18, 05 7:32 pm  · 
 · 
Per Corell

Or allow the class bully once again to dictate the trends.

Jul 18, 05 7:33 pm  · 
 · 
JohnProlly

Hm.

Lame.

Lame.

Lame.

Jul 19, 05 12:18 pm  · 
 · 
brian buchalski

a short essay on the work of per corell
by puddles

although i do not yet claim to fully understand per's 3d honeycomb (and admittedly allowing per some slack in his renderings/images) i have to admit that given some time to reflect on the matter, i am beginning to see the "danish-ness" of this potential architecture that per has been so faithfully proselytizing. as an additional caveat, i should point out that i am drawing heavily on christian norberg-schulz's text "nightlands, nordic building"* since i haven't actually visited denmark (although i have spent time in the rest of scandinavia: norway, sweden, and finland). even so, i'm going to take a stab at adding another perspective to the work of per corel.

amongst the fundamental characteristics of nordic architecture is an inspiration from nature and obviously the 3d honeycomb is evocative of the natural structure employed by bees in their hives. further, the anti-classical north would seem to be congruent with the topological potential of the honeycomb structure. more particular to denmark, the land's repetitive order has informed a building tradition of half-timbering, a skeletal-like construction method that uses a bay of constant width (typically without interior support). half-timbering achieves order via its repetitive modules while remaining open-ended. though this building tradition has its roots in the rural, it also informs denmark's urban building which also exhibit orderly rhythms and adjacent facades of similar heights. disregarding the formal immaturity of many of per's images which like to feature such fantasy shapes as airplanes, eastern (russian) churches, or ice ceam cones, i feel that the similarities between the 3d honeycomb and the danish building tradition are, surprisingly, quite evident if prejudices against bad form are, at least temporarily, suspended.

now, although per's 3d honeycomb expands the gestalt qualities of the danish building tradition by effectively merging the ideas of, one, repetitive window openings and, secondly, a unifying roof into one cohesive mesh, it remains to be seen how per (or another danish architect) might articulate the secondary links within this system, the use of infill, and details. moreover, the question of material cannot be easily dismissed as wood has long been a staple of nordic building tradition as opposed to the implicit permanence of stone in southern europe. still, these are not necessarily limitations, but rather opportunities for maintaining a pliable building tradition rather than reverting to historicist nostalgia or foolishly embracing the new for its own sake in a desperate attempt to be as modern as everybody else.

moreover, even the method by which per has been inviting us to his process, allowing the 3d honeycomb to evolve in a public forum (sometimes at an admittedly glacial pace) has exhibited a braveness for the unknown, a sympathy for the unfinished, and a comfort with the search that may well be called nordic. still, i can't shake the idea that per might actually be onto something more than most of us are recognizing (although it may also be beyond per's ability to communicate to us.) perhaps his biggest mistake is simply in straying too far from home...the internet is a great universal forum and has a broad reach, but i suspect that the real potential in the 3d honeycomb needs to be explored locally first. one cannot conquer the world without first conquering the neighborhood. if per and his fellow danes take this seriously, in ten or twenty years we may be considering 3d honeycomb not as an internet oddity commemorated by t-shirts and inside jokes but as an exemplar of contemporary design working within a pliable building tradition that many other places could only wish they could replicate.

* norberg-schulz, christian. nightlands: nordic building. cambridge, massachusetts: massachusetts institute of technology press, 1996. of particular importance were the first three chapters. images on pages 54 through 59 succinctly demonstrate the relevant characteristics of danish building tradition.

Jul 21, 05 2:02 am  · 
 · 
David Zeibin

Such an essay deserves to be printed on a shirt, in very small type.

Jul 21, 05 2:31 am  · 
 · 
Sylvester

puddles:
"...as wood has long been a staple of nordic building tradition as opposed to the implicit permanence of stone in southern europe"

Actually almost all buildings in Denmark is made of brick or concrete... just a comment

Jul 21, 05 4:22 am  · 
 · 
upside

has anyone in this thread mentioned the new serpentine gallery?

it seems Siza ('hail') and Souto de moura are big per fans

Jul 21, 05 4:40 am  · 
 · 
bigness

i soo want to find the time for this tshirt competition...

Jul 21, 05 6:41 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: