Archinect
anchor

Does your portfolio kick ass?

come on let's get back to the portfolios. This is very encouraging for me to do mine, its been a long time since, and I may actually have reason to

Jul 16, 08 2:29 am  · 
 · 
brandonmhorn

Why not...

my portfolio

The site is a collection of PDF links that will open in another window. Although I made these to be printed, not viewed online, they still show the work and layout of the portfolio.

Jul 16, 08 9:45 am  · 
 · 
some person

brandon, that's a very employable portfolio. Usually I'm bothered by .pdf's, but your mainpage is so seamless and simple. Nice work. Are the projects mostly academic?

Jul 16, 08 10:53 pm  · 
 · 
kyleseyz

Brandon I love the enormous sectional model you did for that supermarket! Inspiring work!

Jul 16, 08 11:59 pm  · 
 · 
brandonmhorn

all the projects are academic except for the competition entries.

well, actually there are a couple of built things in the 2004-2007 portfolio:

a light baffle for a video installation
a garden

Jul 17, 08 8:09 am  · 
 · 
PodZilla

I'm still having a hard time figuring out how many projects are supposed to be in a portfolio. Obviously web-based ones allow for more projects to be posted, whereas if you start adding too many to a book it gets big in a hurry. That's why i'm wondering if Brandon printed his 40+ page pdf or just showed it online. My portfolio (full of crappy 2nd and 3rd year work at the moment, needs updating) follows this format:

1. Strong project (favorite set of drawings, nice details, etc.)
2. Small project/competition entry
3. Comprehensive project (the one where it all came together- model, drawings, renders, sketches, diagrams, the works)
4. Design/Build competion
5. Best project (best pure design, pretty renders, few drawings. Leaves em' drooling at the end)

I think it's maybe 20 pages tops, in an 8X10 format.

Jul 17, 08 12:57 pm  · 
 · 
yepp111

Great work - A very distinct style even though the projects are really different

Jul 17, 08 12:58 pm  · 
 · 
brandonmhorn

podzilla,

the portfolios are pretty long but i've never heard complaints.

also, each portfolio was for a different purpose, grad school, summer job, full time job, etc...but when i went to my last interview i took along a couple of the portfolios but only showed select projects from each.

essentially, i use them as a comprehensive documentation tool for myself and focus more when applying for a job or school.

i think the order of projects you mention is good though and is generally what i follow

Jul 17, 08 1:31 pm  · 
 · 
boxy

I'd reverse the order. you'd be lucky if they even make it to the end.

Jul 17, 08 2:27 pm  · 
 · 
brandonmhorn

in print portfolios people generally thumb from back to front....hence, best project at the end

Jul 17, 08 2:55 pm  · 
 · 
holz.box

brandon, reverse chronological order... newest to front...

Jul 17, 08 4:56 pm  · 
 · 

i love the work, no distinctive style so any employer would think you aren't coming with your own agenda. Work looks thorough as well - I would love to see more sketches by hand though.

Also I think you owe someone a day at the spa for a manicure, she must of been helping to cut the matte board...her poor thumb looks damaged.

Jul 17, 08 9:58 pm  · 
 · 
brandonmhorn

ah, that's not my fault...she was riding a bike in winter to work leaving her fingers very, lets say, weathered

Jul 17, 08 10:18 pm  · 
 · 
redward

my portfilio will kick your_______ ....well, just the downloading thee 32mb pdf will if your patient. it didnt get me a phenomenal summer internship, but i ended up gettin into the gradschools of my choice, as i will be going this fall.

http://netfiles.uiuc.edu/dericss2/red-portfolio2.pdf

good luck.

Jul 18, 08 12:38 am  · 
 · 
mdler

i wore a shirt to work today that said 'beer kicks ass' and had a picture of a can of beer kicking a donkey.

Jul 18, 08 1:48 am  · 
 · 

redward, WOW! You have a gifted sketching style and you reflect a talent in model building. I would say that your weakest point is your portfolio. I usually think white space on a portfolio best reflects the work but it is almost too heavy with yours. Additionally it seems as if you were fighting with the format, your sketches are most long but you have a portrait design. Nonetheless the reviewers obviously saw what is there, and perhaps with envy, because you've got talent kid!

Jul 18, 08 2:25 am  · 
 · 

i thought it was a very well balanced use of white space. projects were very well articulated.

i think the typography and spacing seemed a bit clumsy however.

Jul 18, 08 3:06 am  · 
 · 
bucku

dot, are you back in atlanta or still west coast?

Jul 18, 08 8:45 am  · 
 · 
kpxkable

redward, amazing sketches!

Jul 18, 08 11:35 am  · 
 · 

still west coast'n...currently in my thesis semester, but not sure after that.

how are you doing? same boat as last summer?

Jul 18, 08 2:53 pm  · 
 · 
bucku

moved on. economics finally slowed work. working on my portfolio for a later rather than sooner application to grad schools. may post some precursor portfolios here. See what everyone thinks.

Jul 18, 08 3:43 pm  · 
 · 
redward

thanks for the feedback guys. I would agree with the text being clumsy, as i put this thing together over winter break right before those deadlines, and of course text was the last thing on my mind (which probably should not have been the case). I plan to edit out quite a bit, and add more detail sections/ computer renderings to even it out a bit. As far as the layout and white space, im gunna try to play with different formats, though i do not know how to negotiate the portrait vs landscape nature of my portfolio.

Jul 21, 08 10:11 am  · 
 · 
Leo_Mulvehill

Here is a link to mi portfolio. Still looking for a job, so if you have any hot leads........ tell me about them!

[url=http://www.link.com]link[/http://www.coroflot.com/LeMulvehill]

Jul 21, 08 4:04 pm  · 
 · 
Leo_Mulvehill

Pardon, I don't have a full grasp of this link thing:

http://www.coroflot.com/LeMulvehill

Jul 21, 08 4:09 pm  · 
 · 

that parasite canopy thing-y definitely kicks ass.

Jul 21, 08 8:36 pm  · 
 · 
NoSleep

After 1st year of grad school [non-arch]. Crit please.

portfolio

Jul 21, 08 10:43 pm  · 
 · 
Xing

here is mine. one built work.

I personally want to improve the layout and reduce the sheet number.

designed for a job hunting...let me know your opinion.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/archenx/sets/72157606206421974/show/

Jul 22, 08 3:09 pm  · 
 · 
Balagan

Hey Xing, I think you sent me your portfolio a while ago for comments...

I think this new version is much improved over the one you showed me last year, more concise and shows the thought process better.

Good luck on your applications!

Jul 22, 08 5:58 pm  · 
 · 

nice project, xing!

Jul 23, 08 7:05 am  · 
 · 
mantaray

my portfolio kicked my ass, does that count?

Jul 23, 08 10:17 am  · 
 · 
Ms Beary

I deserve an ass kicking for my portfolio.

Jul 24, 08 6:39 pm  · 
 · 
binary

i quit

Jul 24, 08 9:14 pm  · 
 · 
vindingo

The more I look at mine, the more I hate it...

Jul 25, 08 5:12 pm  · 
 · 
Leo_Mulvehill

ok, so everyone is lacking in self confidence, lets see some more portfolios, this is meant to be an exercise in openness, not a self pity fest!

Jul 25, 08 9:52 pm  · 
 · 

i am not looking for work or applying to school, but when i was i used these bits in my portfolio first for grad school application and then for work (in the early 00's). I have never had a single booklet as portfolio but instead assemble projects on the fly from a prepared group of projects.

fair warning: the work and layout is a bit dated. someday i will rework these things to be a bit simpler, but for now its kinda overcooked. proceed at own risk. all files are pdfs (view in two-page format).

grad application built project -small

grad application built project - medium

grad thesis project

more recently i put this together - it is just to have a record of our work to show clients rather than to find a job in an office. we have maybe 5 little booklets like this that we show depending on the project.

yoyogi house

Jul 25, 08 11:55 pm  · 
 · 
Xing

Jump, nice work.

Jul 26, 08 2:03 am  · 
 · 
harold

I'm seeing mostly 'blobs' in all of the portfolios. Is there are reason for this? Has this become part of the curriculum since recently?

Jul 26, 08 3:41 am  · 
 · 

What are you afraid of, harold?

Jul 26, 08 10:12 am  · 
 · 

Okay, I'll bite. This is the post-grad school portfolio, the resume at the end needs updating:

link

(nice work, btw, jump)

Jul 26, 08 10:20 am  · 
 · 
boxy

765- your work is impressive, but it's damn hard navigating through that website.

Jul 26, 08 11:54 am  · 
 · 

he's calling you out harold.

Jul 26, 08 2:49 pm  · 
 · 

The image disappeared? WTF?

Okay, I'll hotlink it from wikipedia instead:

Jul 26, 08 3:21 pm  · 
 · 

(and thanks, DJ, sorry about the navigation, I actually thought it made sense at the time!)

Jul 26, 08 3:22 pm  · 
 · 

it is a bit complicated, but the work is great. very nice stuff.

i lOVE what i am seeing in recent school work. the scripting and the swoopy stuff etc is all very fascinating. here in tokyo the students tend to be influenced more by sejima than hadid, which is great, but also a little tiring after awhile...

Jul 26, 08 6:37 pm  · 
 · 
holz.box

"more sejima than hadid"

i dunno, i'd rather have Architecture.

who's mini is that, jump? nice work, fo sho.

Jul 26, 08 7:09 pm  · 
 · 

true enough holz.box. i think it depends in the end on the teachers, really.

the mini is the owner's. we were able to make the parking lot just a bit smaller than normal cuz we knew the car they owned...is very nice car, with custom finish and tires, etc. perfect for narrow tokyo streets.

Jul 26, 08 11:01 pm  · 
 · 
harold

What's so interesting about this is that while american students are heavy on scripting, it doesn't reflect anything that is being built in the US. I would expect this more in Europe where swoopy curves are more common, but just there you'll have a hard time finding a script magician at the colleges.

It seems to me kind offustrating to be educated as the next frank gerhy and then have to resort to brick colonials after graduation.

Jul 27, 08 3:14 am  · 
 · 
EdgewoodAnimal

Harold, we're not all heavy on scripting here in America.

Jul 27, 08 10:10 am  · 
 · 
holz.box

yeah, i definitely didn't go to school to be the next frank gehry, and i've never done a brick colonial, thankfully.

Jul 27, 08 3:20 pm  · 
 · 
alucidwake

765: those library models are amazing. i also really enjoyed your diagrams for the library and the greenpoint project. the greg lynn studio renderings were really cool, but didnt seem to entirely make sense as a _real_ project (seems typical of lynn :p)

but seriously, nice work

Jul 27, 08 3:59 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: