Archinect
anchor

Does your portfolio kick ass?

765, what are your thoughts on the blobwall? did you have any involvement in that?

personally, i don't buy it, but witnessing a panel of architects attentively listening to greg lynn discuss the merits of the 'new brick' next to an installation that looked like it was manufactured in candyland was a hugely surreal experience for me.

...anyways, anymore portfolios?

Jul 27, 08 4:41 pm  · 
 · 
cj w.

wow really solid work by all who posted!

would love to throw mine in and have it assessed...

however, how can i post a link when i dont have a url for hosting (its in PDF). Can i post a link to a download site?

thank you!

Jul 28, 08 5:05 am  · 
 · 
in.flucx

here is my light portfolio

please let me know what you think

http://www.coroflot.com/the_dezine/dezine_continuum

Jul 28, 08 2:02 pm  · 
 · 
vindingo

the.dezine - why did you put your oldest projects first?

Jul 28, 08 4:16 pm  · 
 · 
apocalipstick

I'd love to see the portfolio you used to apply to architecture school, anyone willing to share? Thnx

Jul 29, 08 8:42 am  · 
 · 
rob(E)

apoc-
I'd love to show you mine..but im not sure the best way to share a portfolio..do i need to host the pdf some where? I just finished the marathon grad application process...got in every were but Harvard, ill be at sci-arc in the fall...let me know and ill host it somewhere...

Jul 29, 08 8:54 pm  · 
 · 
Liebchen

Wait, someone going to Sci-arc doesn't know where to host a file for free on the internet? Rob, you destroying stereotypes for me!

You could use a free FTP service like mediafire.

Or a dedicated portfolio site like coroflot.

Or, make them jpegs and upload them to flickr.

Jul 30, 08 9:42 am  · 
 · 
rob(E)

hmm, liebchen..notice i said BEST way to share a 50 page 300megabite explosion,lol- i know all of those ways to do it..but i think ill just publish my lulu version, and allow free download... i love stereo types! im just messin with you- where do you go to school/went to school?

Jul 30, 08 10:11 am  · 
 · 
rob(E)
http://www.lulu.com/content/1720445

i think this should work.. hope this helps anyone going through the process of portfolio making... im already sick of this one ..

Jul 30, 08 10:26 am  · 
 · 
Liebchen

Rob, you've relieved my anxiety, thank you. Stasis has returned. There is a lot that I don't like about your portfolio, but I do like that you have graphically and ideologically unified your projects, more so than others. The portfolio is more of a publication than a collection. Nice.

Jul 30, 08 11:14 am  · 
 · 
n_

rob(E) - I love that you charge$636 for someone to buy your portfolio. Great portfolio.

Jul 31, 08 10:31 am  · 
 · 
shellarchitect

rob(E) Your portfolio doesn't have to be so huge. after downloading I used the "reduce file" size command in Adobe to bring the file size down to 23 megs.

Aug 1, 08 3:00 pm  · 
 · 
snook_dude

I really want to know the purpose of these Portfolios?
Do Architects actually hire these people based on these portfolios?
Then again maybe there to take you to the next level...a Masters Degree.... filled with intellectual thought. Come on Folk lets get real!
Show me something with substance....which is really ARCHITECTURE FOR THE REAL WORLD....not body parts and curvy love lines of nothingness.

Aug 1, 08 8:10 pm  · 
 · 

the mini is by far the best thing I've seen...the backdrop is spectacular too. I am really wondering if its worth putting my old portfolio online just to show. And I am procrastinating doing a well needed new one - filled mostly with built work

Aug 1, 08 8:20 pm  · 
 · 
snook_dude

built work is where it is at because you have had real constrants...no fluff there my friend architechnophila....and your work is at a very high level from what I have seen. Actually I wish you had had the opportunity to have spent some time with Bruce Goff, or Fay Jones...cause they would have guided you into a very high level of design.

Aug 1, 08 8:30 pm  · 
 · 

Oddly snook, I enjoyed reading the memoirs and personal lives of both architects, and they treated their works with such painful passions. But alas, there is a generational gap because whilst I respect both architect's work I find much of it disappointing. But as I said I blame it on the generational gap.

Oh and thanks for the compliment...I shall now go to sleep with this big head.

Aug 2, 08 12:09 am  · 
 · 
dedubs

I guess I throw this in..

http://www.restlessworks.com/danny

Aug 3, 08 2:23 pm  · 
 · 

danny, i think your portfolio certainly kicks ass.

Aug 4, 08 12:32 am  · 
 · 
Liebchen

Definately.

Aug 4, 08 10:33 am  · 
 · 
in.flucx

danny your stuff is really nice, I really enjoyed the amount of energy that you have invested in restless works. seems like you guys have a good grasp on the graphics and representation part. I would challenge you to create a lot more expression and energy in the representation of your architecture because to me there is a clear denominator between the graphics (high energy) and your architecture.

Aug 4, 08 12:50 pm  · 
 · 
Jonathan Brown

Hi everyone,

I have really enjoyed seeing great examples of portfolios, and thought I would post my "almost" completed portfolio on here as well. I have worked in architecture offices for 8 years and just got my masters from UWM. I am looking to move out to Los Angeles, and hopefully looking for a project manger job. Let me know what you think.

Thanks Jon Brown

please set view settings to (View>Page display>Two_up) to see spreads with page breaks. 8.5" x 8.5"

https://pantherfile.uwm.edu/brown5/Jon%20Port.pdf?uniq=mu6iam

Aug 5, 08 8:03 pm  · 
 · 

Downtown I love the use of colour and your sketches, your layout has a sexy dense nature to it, that any architect would appreciate because it takes you into the story of the project and ties in well with the theme "progressions." Sometimes however this does not work in your favour - for instance the plans on page 10,
also for clarity it may be best to start new projects on the lhs page or if you want it on the right to create a blank page before. with the dense layout it is unclear.

But this is a thoroughly enjoyable portfolio to read, much like a professional monograph. I have however, no idea how you will reduce it to an interview format - wish you the best of luck

Aug 6, 08 8:38 pm  · 
 · 

wait I see you actually wanted the new pages on the lhs, must be a gliche in my format reader...still looking at it - most most enjoyable

Aug 6, 08 8:43 pm  · 
 · 
Jonathan Brown

Hey architechnophilia,

Thanks for the compliment and glad you like it, I do agree with overcrowding like page 10 . I need to love white space more. I already cut out a bunch so I have no idea how to reduce it more. They just might have to listen to me talk A LOT, ha!

Downtown

Aug 6, 08 10:18 pm  · 
 · 

naw, I'd keep the dense pages - its almost stylist, the graphics though could be slimed down a bit, and a little consistent. I'm sure if you passed it over the nose of a graphic artist they'd give a nod

Aug 6, 08 11:39 pm  · 
 · 
lmnop15

What do you guys think the most important work is to show in a portfolio for someone who has no experience in an office but has a degree? I had a ton of stuff that goes from studio work to more technical things like as-built drawings and wall sections done for classwork as well as a many travel sketches. What does an employer who is hiring an inexperienced intern look for in terms of length, content, etc?

Aug 8, 08 8:33 pm  · 
 · 
Jonathan Brown

In my opinion I would look for the design content itself. The first question is can you design, the next question is are you likable. Firms can teach you how do do anything they want, but you have to be able to play nice so the interview becomes key. Unfortunately this is a completely bias approach because some people will like your stuff and some will not. Diversify and make your projects clear and interesting. If you do something unique exploit it. Good Luck

Aug 8, 08 9:02 pm  · 
 · 
lmnop15

Cool Thanks for the advice - that'll be helpful when I start putting together another portfolio in the next few days. One thing I've been wondering about is the inclusion of other non-architecture related work. I have a background in cartography and several mapping projects that used ArcGIS and Illustrator. The subject matter is more related to projected areas of growth around certain cities, areas of poverty, where affordable housing is being located and other such things. Like i said they aren't specifically architectural - but sort of in the same subject realm. I spent a TON of time on them and they probably display my layout/graphic abilities more than anything - do you think it would be good to include those in a job application portfolio or maybe save them for a later grad school portfolio? They kind of fall under the "if you do something unique exploit it" catagory

Aug 9, 08 2:03 pm  · 
 · 
Jonathan Brown

do you know about Dirt architects? I think the principle is a cartographer as well, might be good to see what she does. One of my friends got her start working in a firm doing there graphics so anything graphically interesting might get you a foot in the door.

Aug 9, 08 2:23 pm  · 
 · 
mpsyp

Okay, I probably should have posted this months ago for your critique, before I sent it off to 30 or so firms. But so be it. I am self-conscious about it, particularly because it doesn't represent the kind of design that I am particularly interested in. I'd rather be doing stuff more in line with dutch modern or herzog than this overly wurvy stuff. I've never felt too proud about the work I have done, even though I know that it has merit of one kind or another.

It's also missing some of the extracurricular stuff like medium format photography and film because I thought it was getting too long.

I'm wondering if I should have included some of my sketches, since it is a digital-heavy portfolio. The physical model addendum seems a little weird as well.

Anyway, any comments are welcome. I am still looking for that full time job in a fancy design office. I have 5 weeks of office experience, so that has proved to be a challenge. So far my best offer is a grossly underpaid 3-month internship leading (potentially) to a full time position (pay unknown) from a European starchitect. Not one of the "big five" (whomever those may be), but a well respected firm with a lot of work.

Thanks in advance...

[url=http://www.mediafire.com/?djc1megl6jg]portfolio[/img], 6mb PDF

Aug 10, 08 2:10 pm  · 
 · 
mpsyp

Sorry:

portfolio

Aug 10, 08 2:11 pm  · 
 · 
Jonathan Brown

Hey Mpsyp,

I think your renderings are very nice, dare I say some are amazing. May I ask what rendering program you use?

I like the fact that each project is different, and has its own voice. That being said I guess I do not buy your vector view diagram on spread 6 even though it looks cool. Also I think the black background on spread 20 does not work as well as spread 21. Lastly, I think the addendum at the end with the physical models may not be a good idea. I would rather see them along with the projects. It makes it seem like you did them at a later date, forgot about them until the end, do not put as much importance on physical models or were too lazy to incorporate them into each project in the first place. Other than that very nice indeed.

DTJB

Aug 10, 08 2:52 pm  · 
 · 
mpsyp

Jon> Thanks for the critique. I actually ended up eliminating the Waterloo project from the port in subsequent versions. I hate the interior renderings but it's too thin without them. Also thought it tipped the scales toward "wonky" a bit too much.

The renderings for Urban Power Plant and Valparaiso were done in Maya with Mental Ray... The ones you see took a long, long time, but I can crank them out quite a bit faster now...

I know the physical models page is a mistake, but i'm being stubborn about it. I originally didn't include them at all (they were all built contemporaneously with their projects) because I either felt they spoiled the composition of the page or I didn't have a good model for each project, or I had good models for projects that were weaker, etc. Then I realized that people would probably want to see some examples of models, so I tacked on the addendum. Sigh.

Your portfolio>

Too much professional work, I think. I would keep only the best projects and give more detail on those ones. You have a lot of great drawings in that section but in many cases it's difficult to ascertain the nature of the intervention without reading the text.

I really like the diagram on p 67, and the fact that you included some texts (my last studio prof was Jesse Reiser, btw). A good setup for the project.

Graphically nice, clean. A few times I got confused as to what was included in what project, particularly with the last project divided into 3 parts... but that's probably because I didn't take the time to read it. I assume that most people thumbing through a portfolio aren't reading, so it's got to read clearly without the text.

Hope that helps. Nice work.

Aug 10, 08 3:36 pm  · 
 · 
Jonathan Brown

Marc,

Thanks for the thoughts I think you are right with a lot of what you said. I guess the debate for me was since I have 8 years of experience it was hard to cut out stuff. I am not sure what people out in LA are looking for but I felt that showing a lot of professional work would prove my ability to do real projects since I have been in school for 2 years. Why are architects so insecure, ha! Wonky, that needs to be a new term for blobitechture, too funny. Thanks for the feedback. What was Reiser like?

Aug 10, 08 3:54 pm  · 
 · 
mpsyp

What you can do is put a list of completed projects prominently on the first page of that section. I definitely think you'd rather have them learn about your experience on a resume than by beating them over the head with redundant projects. IMO.

Resier was a really nice guy, always with an air of studiousness. Was obsessively interested in the way systems of structure and enclosure and envelope could be cross-pollinated or manipulated. One day he and Jeff K. had more than a few drinks at lunch and came to studio with the giggles. It was a fun day.

Aug 10, 08 4:14 pm  · 
 · 
mpsyp

Pensiveness is a better word for him than studiousness, actually.

Aug 10, 08 4:15 pm  · 
 · 
oe

My stuff usually gets me concerned looks and a quick shuffle to the door like "yea, um. well call you."

Thesis
Photos
Other scary crap.

Aug 12, 08 2:44 pm  · 
 · 
mpsyp

oe>

I can see how some are scared, most of your images are really quite bleak. On the other hand, a lot of them are really beautiful. You obviously have a very fine tuned graphic sensibility. I would think that some of the more adventurous firms would be interested in you...

Aug 12, 08 6:53 pm  · 
 · 
Jonathan Brown

oe,

Anyone who would turn you away would be foolish, I really liked your thesis project. Maybe because I can be dark myself sometimes but the graphics and sections were really interesting. Just out of curiosity what do you use to render your perspectives. I am not very happy with rhino Flamingo renderer or microstation renderings and curious what other people use. Nice stuff.

Downtown Jon Brown

Aug 12, 08 9:12 pm  · 
 · 
oe

Thanks guys.

Anyone know any evil architects that are hiring?

*sigh*

Aug 13, 08 12:14 am  · 
 · 
oe

Oh^^ sorry, yea just maya and photoshop. The plans and sections are all kinds of programs and drawings mushed together.

Aug 13, 08 12:16 am  · 
 · 
jhooper

oe, fantastic work, i really liked it

If you're looking for a firm, I've always thought Jean Nouvelle looks like Dr Evil, so maybe he'd be worth a shot

Aug 15, 08 11:50 am  · 
 · 

Your thesis is dope, oe, nice work.

Aug 15, 08 1:13 pm  · 
 · 

very nice work oe. love the montages. content is much more interesting at least visually than is normal for thesis work. did profs like or loath?

Aug 16, 08 8:47 am  · 
 · 
oe

I dont think I should get into politics on a public forum, but I will divulge that it was thrown into a dumpster and rained on overnight at one point, along with everything else Id done at school, brought in to get a jump on portfolio, leading me to leave the country for a year out of frustration. Fortunately at a certain point it dawned on me that it was somewhat shortsighted to drop out of school with one project left...

Im being disgruntled again...*serenity now!*

But yea, the response from most professors was overwhelmingly positive.

Aug 16, 08 10:51 am  · 
 · 
oe

I'll add my thesis adviser was particularly excellent about the whole thing.

Aug 16, 08 10:55 am  · 
 · 

oe's portfolio DOES kick ass.

Aug 16, 08 6:15 pm  · 
 · 
PandaKing

good stuff

Jan 10, 09 4:18 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: