Archinect
anchor

Does your portfolio kick ass?

If your portfolio has landed you a great job or school admission, please share! Or maybe you are looking for work and you feel that your kick ass portfolio deserves a spotlight! This would be an excellent, high profile place to have your work featured. We are currently putting together a feature that will recognize stellar portfolios. We are looking for excellent examples that stand out amongst the rest.

Please send examples to: [email protected]. If your portfolio is web-based, send a link to the URL. If your portfolio is in hard-copy format, please only send photographs. If you have a large file, select only 1-3 shots, and we will contact you for more if necessary. Please also provide a paragraph describing your portfolio and it's strengths, indicating if the portfolio is intended for school application or job application.

Thank you.

Jul 11, 08 6:00 pm
binary

is this a trick question?

Jul 11, 08 7:27 pm  · 
 · 

sweet! Now all those kiddies who want us to review their portfolios have a place to go. Thanks archinect for another GREAT innovation.

Jul 11, 08 7:28 pm  · 
 · 
xacto

sounds great...i just hope it comes quicker than those school blogs and the salary poll

Jul 11, 08 7:54 pm  · 
 · 
binary

i think there should be a lottery system

like those looking for a job put there name in a hat...then a firm looking for a person will draw from the hat.... have like 3 hats.... architects/designers/interns........ then they pick from the hat they need...

this might increase my luck ...hahaha

b

Jul 11, 08 8:23 pm  · 
 · 

here goes...

http://www.dotportfolio.net/

Jul 11, 08 8:35 pm  · 
 · 
holz.box

i did after graduation and all i've learned in 3 years is how to spec expensive fixtures and put togethor a minimal permit set so we can make money in SK's...

outf*ckingstanding...

Jul 11, 08 10:06 pm  · 
 · 
aspect

can we have a portfolio just for interest?

i'm an administrator, i do not need to show my design to employer. ha.

Jul 11, 08 11:39 pm  · 
 · 
aspect

also, if i show, their design department will feel very threaten!! ha!!

Jul 11, 08 11:41 pm  · 
 · 
some person

holz: would you rather know how to spec inexpensive fixtures instead? Like Fypon? :)

(my apologies for the digression)

Jul 12, 08 12:26 am  · 
 · 
alucidwake

i guess a portfolio isnt a personal thing anymore... :/

those 2 guys from UW had really well drawn portfolios, they had picassa web albums

Jul 12, 08 10:19 am  · 
 · 
THREADS

dot, really nice work, however I would remove the information about how much money each scholarship is worth.

Jul 12, 08 1:24 pm  · 
 · 
nsproductions

what are you talking about flaunt that cheese

Jul 12, 08 5:31 pm  · 
 · 

i wouldn't call it flaunting since i am still in huge debt, but i thought it was important to distinguish the weight of the award because certainly there is a difference between winning the $50k som fellowship and a $100 prize for writing the best 50 word essay on 'how you want to change the world', for example. there were also varying prizes under the same name, so i also wanted to distinguish that.

but i'm curious to know what the etiquette is since i've seen resumes with and without it.

that said, let's see some more portfolios, anyone?

Jul 12, 08 6:04 pm  · 
 · 

quite nice dot.

id take out the money amounts for scholarships as well. not out of etiquette but just cuz the awards lose the sense of achievement/accomplishment once the numbers are attached.

the lower amounts seem even a bit petty. to put things in perspective my scholarships for phd amounted to about $100,000 over three years. which is sizable enough i suppose. i know people who got more, but i don't think the awards that you won or that they won are any better or lesser than what i got. putting money to the names sort of belittles the sense of achievement...

sorry for digression.

Jul 12, 08 10:07 pm  · 
 · 
aspect

i think is good to show that future boss u got cash or win the lotto so he won't take advantages of u being in debt.

Jul 12, 08 10:32 pm  · 
 · 
brian buchalski

i'm very tempted to start a thread titled Does your porfolio kiss ass?

i suspect my portfolio would fit better there...if i had a recent portfolio

Jul 13, 08 8:41 am  · 
 · 
quizzical

dot ... nice work ... however, you might want to think about using spell-check. About the first thing I saw on your resume was "georigia" under your film category. Spoils an otherwise delightful portfolio ... !

Jul 13, 08 12:10 pm  · 
 · 
mack

here is mine, dot

http://www.flickr.com/photos/13563152@N05/sets/72157604445680882/show/

Jul 13, 08 12:22 pm  · 
 · 

dot, you have a really nice portfolio.
perfect balance of information about your studies, work, experience, interests, skills and achievements.
it gives the viewer a clear picture without being tiringly demanding. it is compact enough that every heading is visited, and each one of them has something like an autonomous subject but all relates to eachother in a rather gestalt way. it has an active feel to it.
shall we call it 'the cyber aura'?;.)

btw,
i am all for blogfolios and prefer them to a physical book.

Jul 13, 08 3:29 pm  · 
 · 
citrus.grey

both portfolios are lovely guys,

dot, a great web portfolio, very simple and clean and i love that you've included written essays/films etc. which typically wouldn't make it into a portfolio, but give a good glimpse of your interests.

mack, very sharp graphically, and like dot's, it's anything but generic and shows your interests as a designer well. Is this a printed portfolio or intended strictly for web viewing?

nice job guys, thanks for posting.

Jul 13, 08 3:37 pm  · 
 · 

chris mack,
your portfolio is great in terms of architectural skills and talent displayed. one of rare occasions a flick'r format might work.
however, it is project loaded and doesn't give much information about 'you' outside of those projects. maybe it does but i might have missed it? perhaps, that's the weak part of slide presentation portfolio.
it doesn't draw attention to who you are.
remember, it is very important and not to your advantage to exclude yourself. your portfolio is incomplete without you.

Jul 13, 08 3:44 pm  · 
 · 

thanks all for the feedback.

thanks mack for posting.

keep'em coming!

Jul 13, 08 4:11 pm  · 
 · 
difficultfix

Portfolios, are nice.....but something comes to mind...

How about a design-off/ archinect design competion....

that would be something cool.....

How about this competition revolves around archinect....

topic example:

"Archinectural experience"

if this was an architecture project:

the following programatic spaces could be applied:

home
features
news
jobs
links
books
image gallery
competitions & events
products
discussions
archinect travels
school blog project
salary poll

with possible sub categories (spaces) as in the discussions

But trully open to the designer....

Just a suggestion

Jul 13, 08 7:47 pm  · 
 · 

hey mack. I'm in the middle of it and I have to, have to comment. Good stuff. I like the work and you show a great grasp of representation as well as space. Some of the pages are overwhelming, like the leisure scape, but that's easily ammended. Also, I think it needs an ending and a contents page - nothing too serious but its amazing how things like that can help tie things together as well index your work when talking/conversing about it.

But honestly - I wish mine were so beautiful.

Jul 13, 08 11:29 pm  · 
 · 
sex partner (female)

Does your ass kick portfolio?

If your ass has landed you a great job or school admission, please share! Or maybe you are looking for work and you feel that your kick portfolio ass deserves a spotlight! This would be an excellent, high profile place to have your ass featured. We are currently putting together a feature that will recognize stellar asses. We are looking for excellent examples that stand out amongst the rest.

Please send examples to: [email protected] If your ass is web-based, send a link to the URL. If your ass is in hard-copy format, please only send photographs. If you have a large ass, select only 1-3 shots, and we will contact you for more if necessary. Please also provide a paragraph describing your ass and it's strengths, indicating if the ass is intended for school application or job application.

Thank you.

Jul 14, 08 12:00 am  · 
 · 
mindexpansionanchor

Hey guys,

Not sure if you remember this one or not. Thanks for all the previous feedback on it, it got me into uw, sciarc, and columbia. 3 for 3! But here it is: (next version will no doubt have a lot of your suggestions incorporated)

http://picasaweb.google.com/jonathon.stahl/Pfolio/photo#s5187410270072409410

Jul 14, 08 12:45 am  · 
 · 
garbanzo_esquire

sex partner, funniest thing i've read all day.

also the username.

Jul 14, 08 1:52 am  · 
 · 
Apurimac

One thing that bugs me about the portfolios I typically see represented, is they usually tend to reflect one type of media or one type of media overwhelmingly over others. A friend of mine got into the GSD with an amazing portfoilo, and she was/is an excellent draftswoman but pretty much all the work was pencil work. Most of the portfolio's I see posted here are computer intensive. What I don't think I've ever seen is a good example of a portfolio that ties a myriad of works done in differing media together in one cohesive package. My portfolio is extremely diverse with no one media overtaking the other and I don't feel it looks too good. I'd like to see another portfolio where a student was in similar straights but still managed to pull it together.

Jul 14, 08 12:49 pm  · 
 · 
brut

hey apurimac,

why don't you post your portfolio so we can see what you're talking about, that's the point of the thread right?

Jul 14, 08 12:54 pm  · 
 · 
jhooper

Mine has some physical model/hand drawing/computer images, I'm starting to rework some of this for the next round of grad school apps.

Link

Jul 14, 08 12:58 pm  · 
 · 
Apurimac

i may do that brut.

Jul 14, 08 1:01 pm  · 
 · 
brut

nice snark!

Jul 14, 08 1:03 pm  · 
 · 
Apurimac

i wasn't being sarcastic

ass

Jul 14, 08 1:05 pm  · 
 · 
brut

oh, sorry....I thought it was pretty funny and wasn't trying to be an ass

Jul 14, 08 1:07 pm  · 
 · 
Apurimac

Ok then, sorry for my being an ass by calling you an ass then.

Jul 14, 08 1:50 pm  · 
 · 
sameolddoctor

Mack, great work, but the graphics of the pages are frankly a bit too loud for my taste - tends to overwhelm the projects a little bit.
Otherwise, a great portfolio with a lot of interesting content.

Jul 14, 08 3:31 pm  · 
 · 
surface

brut and Apurimac, it seems that you both have stellar asses. Perhaps you should consider submitting them.

Jul 14, 08 4:28 pm  · 
 · 
Apurimac

good to see you back on the forums SurfaceS.

Jul 14, 08 4:54 pm  · 
 · 
Philarch

Coincidentally, I've reworked my portfolio last week, but unfortunately after seeing some of the posted portfolios I am too embarassed to submit mine.

Jul 14, 08 5:44 pm  · 
 · 
brut

my ass

isn't it cute?

Jul 14, 08 5:59 pm  · 
 · 
Apurimac

It is quite darling.

Jul 14, 08 6:04 pm  · 
 · 

brut, that is one sweet ass!!!

Jul 14, 08 6:34 pm  · 
 · 

I'm going to call her polly.

Jul 14, 08 8:01 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

here's my ass...

and i m gonna shake it like a paranoid pictcha...

Jul 14, 08 8:12 pm  · 
 · 
brian buchalski

i'm don't know if anyone still remembers the thread...but i'm pretty sure that i'm the only person to have actually posted a picture of his own bare ass on archinect...maybe i should add it to my portfolio too

Jul 14, 08 10:15 pm  · 
 · 
snook_dude

a sight I would rather forget sweet cheeks.

Jul 15, 08 1:04 pm  · 
 · 
binary

should i include me breakdancing?........

Jul 15, 08 7:03 pm  · 
 · 
bucku

i have a friend who added that he can make a mean bowl of chicken soup to his accolades on his resume. i suppose any superlative could be acceptable. and you better believe i would put break dancing if i knew how to or could physically handle it!

Jul 15, 08 9:37 pm  · 
 · 
binary

figure i could bust out the robot at a firm meeting or something..... that's really the hotness...... then wear a shirt that says "robo-cad"

b

Jul 15, 08 10:34 pm  · 
 · 
aspect

i remember the japanese guy who got the Ferrari head of designers job, his portfolio were only cartoon's of robots.

i think no need to set the rules of what to be put in there... afterall portfolio is to kick ass & impress ppl.

Jul 16, 08 12:02 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: