Archinect
anchor

2009 M.Arch applicants, commiserate here!

sourdough

Got the same email from UPenn myself.

Mar 16, 09 9:50 am  · 
 · 
george

I got into GSAPP. Still waiting for Pratt and SCIARC. Anyone know the numbers in terms of available spaces at GSAPP for M.Arch 1?

Mar 16, 09 10:08 am  · 
 · 
ZeroPulse

I got the same email too.. Just wondering if there was any update beside that one. It feel strange that UPenn is taking such a long time to make a decision.

Mar 16, 09 10:11 am  · 
 · 
skotchtape

georgev,
when did you hear from GSAPP?

Mar 16, 09 10:22 am  · 
 · 
odear

georgev-

congrats on gsapp! also was accepted there. i believe numbers in the past few years ranged between 80 and 90 kids for M. Arch I. probably closer to 90 this year it would seem because of large applicant increase.

hope that helps

Mar 16, 09 10:22 am  · 
 · 
skotchtape

Got in Pratt with $$

Mar 16, 09 10:23 am  · 
 · 
helvetica

gsapp: in!
yale: ?? (probably not, but whatevs I get a copy of my portfolio back.)
gsd: ??
berkeley: ??

Mar 16, 09 10:26 am  · 
 · 
skotchtape

helvetica

congrats!!! on GSAPP
When did you hear from gsapp????
This waiting is very painful

Mar 16, 09 10:27 am  · 
 · 
ZeroPulse

Congrats skotchtape.. are you planning on attending? I got accepted to Pratt also .. and pretty sure I will be heading there in the Fall unless I get lucky with UPenn.. anyone else that got into Pratt going to be attending the GAUD accepted student reception?

Mar 16, 09 10:29 am  · 
 · 
di-c

so...i asked this earlier but no luck with any responses. so i think i'll try asking again: for those of you who got into GSAPP -> is the letter on the website the extent of Columbia's correspondence with us? (besides the fin aid package to be received in mail) The letter didn't seem very personal (they reminded me that my scholarship was good only for us citizens, and then below it had a link for international students o_O)...which I am not complaining about. Just was wondering if no mention of pre-requisites means that I can stop worrying about having to fulfill these asap....

anyone know?

thnx!

Mar 16, 09 10:30 am  · 
 · 
george

thanks. I started a facebook group for those going in the fall to MARCh 1 at GSAPP. GSAPP M.Archers Fall 2009.

GSAPP sent emails (to some) last Friday.

Mar 16, 09 10:31 am  · 
 · 
di-c

haha....i guess i could just call the school and ask.....doh.

Mar 16, 09 10:33 am  · 
 · 
skotchtape

thanks ZeroPulse... I'm going to wait until I hear from several others. GAUD has GREAT program....

Mar 16, 09 10:35 am  · 
 · 
george

di-c

I don't know. I assumed that since I didnt get any offer in the email letter that i wouldn't be recieving a package. I haven't taken Calc but there was no mention of that in the letter so I have no idea. if you find out be sure to post it here.

Mar 16, 09 10:35 am  · 
 · 
resplendent

does anyone know if we are going to get any package in the mail for GSAPP? Do they typically send out lit?

Mar 16, 09 10:36 am  · 
 · 
skotchtape

thanks ZeroPulse... I'm going to wait until I hear from several others. GAUD has GREAT program....

Mar 16, 09 10:36 am  · 
 · 
george

resplendent -

what kind of package fin aid? and what i wonder is if i have to accept GSAPP in order to find out?

Mar 16, 09 10:41 am  · 
 · 
resplendent

georgev-

I’m actually just looking to see if they will send a package about their school and student work similar to packages sent out by Yale (Retrospecta) and Michigan (Dimensions)... I suppose I’m just looking for a hard copy of student work that’s not online but in a book.

as far as fin aid they would have told you if you would have gotten fin aid in the attached letter online.

Mar 16, 09 10:56 am  · 
 · 
odear

resplendent -

the way i understood the letter online was that any amount of money offered in the initial email was a scholarship, and further financial aid info would follow in the mail. did i read that wrong?

Mar 16, 09 11:01 am  · 
 · 
hobopajamas

inigojonesin-
i was in jason herriven's studio, blah.
wished the whole time i was in roland roland snooks'.
whaddabout you?

Mar 16, 09 11:02 am  · 
 · 
di-c

k. so i just called GSAPP with my above questions...

firstly, the lovely lady on the phone (who remembered my name. weird) told me that I should be expecting housing info. and fin aid info (i applied for FAFSA) in the mail shortly. the letter accepted students saw on the website was our official acceptance notification, so I guess no other stuff from the school itself.

I also asked her, out of curiosity, how large they expected the incoming class to be. of course they don't know yet b/c ppl still have to accept, but she said that it would stay ~85. they have no plans to grow larger to accommodate the larger applicant pool.

hope this was useful info for someone out there!

Mar 16, 09 11:05 am  · 
 · 
resplendent

odear

no you didn't read that wrong, i read the same thing, im not talking about fin aid im talking about literature about the program. sorry to all got confused.

it looks like from di-c's conversation with GSAPP confirmed that they will send out information in the mail regarding their program (student work and other info)

Mar 16, 09 11:11 am  · 
 · 
di-c

(oh yeah, and I forgot to mention her answer to my most important question about prereqs: since I had taken calc in high school (my undergrad univ. accepted my AP test) I am clear of that requirement. also, my one semester of molecular physics was also accepted. yay. i know this info is probably not relevant to anyone else, but just in case...)

Mar 16, 09 11:12 am  · 
 · 
di-c

well...no. the woman said that i would be getting info on 1) housing and 2) fin aid. no mention of any other goodies being sent out about the program itself. she may have been a little vague, but I was left with the impression that from the arch department itself, I would not be getting anything else (I reserve the right to be wrong!)

I hope i didn't cause too much confusion

Mar 16, 09 11:16 am  · 
 · 

looks like another parsons admit (via email) on gradcafe for those of you still waiting it out there

Mar 16, 09 11:27 am  · 
 · 
never nude

gsapp does have a book of student work, 'abstract', but I got my copy over the summer while visiting. i think it was an extra..it's from 04/05 but still quite impressive. maybe they'll be handing out recent editions at open house??

Mar 16, 09 11:44 am  · 
 · 
inigojonesin

hobopj - i was in roland's section! wasn't jason's the studio next to us?

Mar 16, 09 11:47 am  · 
 · 

anyone planning on attending the UIC open house?

btw. this whole process has given me even more grey hairs. truly cruel.

Mar 16, 09 11:50 am  · 
 · 
odear

everyone-

just an fyi, and nothing that we didnt already guess about, but a friend at GSD just confirmed that the admissions people were mailing out M Arch stuff on friday. So within the next couple days, people should be hearing (if not today! yikes.....)

Mar 16, 09 11:51 am  · 
 · 
odear

just to be clear, that was friday, march 13 that things were apparently mailed

Mar 16, 09 11:53 am  · 
 · 
sturgey

sickos....
Any GSD candidates in Boston checking their mail today before office hours?

Mar 16, 09 12:04 pm  · 
 · 

odear: wow, i'd say that is some pretty phenomenal news. thanks for passing along the message :-)

...annnd here comes another sleepless night

Mar 16, 09 12:08 pm  · 
 · 
sturgey

also... anyone applying to the GSD (AP) a second time?
good luck to everyone!

Mar 16, 09 12:10 pm  · 
 · 
natnatG

TheDavester :
am i correct by saying you're in Tokyo? (or somewhere in Japan)
if so, I was saw a post on a Korean architecture site that someone in Seoul received a package yesterday (monday Tokyo-seoul time) there has been some false post on the site before, so i wont give it 100% credit, but well just wanted to let you know!

the package might be sitting in your local postal facilities right now!

Mar 16, 09 12:14 pm  · 
 · 
kungapa

Just got an email from MIT - in. They are still letting people know, it would seem.

Mar 16, 09 12:17 pm  · 
 · 
natnatG

ahhhhh someone posted an MIT acceptance email on grad cafe!
this is literally killing me! where are my emails!

Mar 16, 09 12:18 pm  · 
 · 
j'aime

di-c, how did you go about achieving pre-req's from high school level, i have done 2 years of calc, and physics at high school, at honors level and recieved A's in both, i would guarantee that i would not see anything new doing one semester of college level....

if we ring GSD, will they tell us the result over the phone?

Mar 16, 09 12:18 pm  · 
 · 
natnatG

congrats kungpa!

Mar 16, 09 12:20 pm  · 
 · 

sirgemhl: you are absolutely right, i'm up here in sendai. and eeeeeeee that makes me very excited!!! thanks for the heads up, i'm sure to be even more obsessive in checking my mail now! haha

kungapa: CONGRATS!!!! yay!

Mar 16, 09 12:21 pm  · 
 · 
di-c

@j'aime: i took the calc advanced placement test in high school and so my univ. gave me credit for it. looks as if that's good enough for columbia as well. as for physics, I took one semester of it in college - however it wasn't a traditional mechanical physics course, so i was worried...but I called and the school confirmed this was fine, as long as I had experience doing labs and stuff (?)

each school has their own standards, however - i'd call to see what your own standing is. good luck!

@sirgemhl: just curious, which website are you speaking of?

Mar 16, 09 12:25 pm  · 
 · 
sturgey

wow... MIT email... yikes!!!

Mar 16, 09 12:25 pm  · 
 · 
natnatG

im speaking of this site called openscale.net
this post that im mentioning looks genuine, but there have been quite a few misleading posts and false information floating around there...

but i think this GSD post is legit! :)
well maybe thats just what i hope!

congrats to everyone on MIT!!! I am so so so jealous!

Mar 16, 09 12:29 pm  · 
 · 
plattenbau

Don't post here much but saw some mumblings about Penn. I applied for dual degree and was just accepted to MLA via e-mail this morning. Perhaps MARCH soon to follow?

Mar 16, 09 12:43 pm  · 
 · 
GiantClam

j'aime-

I called GSD, hahahah. I'm still nervous 15 minutes later.
They wont tell you over the phone. I told them I needed to know soon to plan my flights and stuff and they didnt care, but told me the open house date (April 3rd, like another poster mentioned).

Mar 16, 09 12:48 pm  · 
 · 
lost in stress

Congrats Plattenbau!! From the mass email they sent out, I would assume that is true. M.Arch notifications next week. Maybe they over estimated their timing and will notify applicants by the end of this week.

Mar 16, 09 12:50 pm  · 
 · 
di-c

so i just got an email from cornell, inviting me to open house. what does this email mean? anyone else?

Mar 16, 09 12:51 pm  · 
 · 
Matthew

Got a call on office phone from Yung Ho that was received on Friday. Open house on the 2nd of April.

So far:

Princeton - In
Yale - In
MIT - In
GSD - ?

Mar 16, 09 12:51 pm  · 
 · 
mr. will

Giantclam: you have some giant balls, nice work

Mar 16, 09 12:52 pm  · 
 · 
kaysc

got the same email di-c

also just got the call from Tulane.. in with a large scholarship!!

Mar 16, 09 12:58 pm  · 
 · 

haha nice giantclam, i'd probably still be shaking too...

and i would concur that penn is due for some updates, maybe end of this week, beginning of next? i would imagine the date included in the mass email was a final date for all notifications to be sent out (including rejections which as we know are typically later).

congrats plattenbau and thanks for popping in on our little party!

Mar 16, 09 1:03 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: