Archinect
anchor

2009 M.Arch applicants, commiserate here!

kaywris

congrats everyone who got in. i guess i'm waiting for the bad news from yale then. bleh

Mar 12, 09 6:23 pm  · 
 · 
rsquared

I'm going to pretend that Yale is going to offer me a conditional acceptance, conditional that I finish calc in may. That's all they're doing....

Mar 12, 09 6:26 pm  · 
 · 
theglow

i guess its about time for me to come out of the woodwork...
Graduated from UIC last year
Waiting to hear from:
Yale-still holding out hope...
GSD
Syracuse
Ohio State
UCLA
Penn
Cornell
GSAPP

congrats to everyone who got in!

Mar 12, 09 6:37 pm  · 
 · 
rsquared

Or not...it seems everyone and their mother applied this year. Dang!

Mar 12, 09 6:40 pm  · 
 · 
lmnop15

So anyone making frantic investigations into airline tickets to visit the open house at Oregon (or any other school for that matter) ??

Mar 12, 09 7:04 pm  · 
 · 
Cricket

lmnop15 - Yes, I just made reservations yesterday! Though I'm going to the one in Eugene on the 6th. Are you going to the one in PDX?

Mar 12, 09 7:07 pm  · 
 · 
zahoffman

To make any of you UT people feel better check gradcafe.com Someone who received the e-mail from the Financial Aid office about "their FAFSA not being processed as they have not been accepted to the university" was accepted via e-mail.

Don't lose hope! The next five days are going to be intense!

Mar 12, 09 7:14 pm  · 
 · 
F2

I'll be at the Eugene open house.
Congrats to all the UOregon peoples!

Mar 12, 09 7:33 pm  · 
 · 
remkoolhaas

Is Yale really going to send out more acceptance emails in the next few days? ...or do we think that is bogus?

Mar 12, 09 7:33 pm  · 
 · 
average_american

who knows. I guess we will find out tomorrow ;-)

Mar 12, 09 7:44 pm  · 
 · 
andimdone

i just got the dreaded fucking email from Austin about financial aid.

The "we cannot process your application because you have
not been admitted to The University of Texas at Austin."

w.

t.

f.

Mar 12, 09 7:45 pm  · 
 · 
inigojonesin

@remkoolhaas: its what they did last year, so we can only hope. it is also what they told me on the phone.

Mar 12, 09 7:47 pm  · 
 · 
ocotillo

andimdone, yourenotnecessarilydone.

were you in already? i can't remember. anyway, that email doesn't mean nothin.

Mar 12, 09 7:51 pm  · 
 · 
andimdone

nope. not in already. hoping but not in. k...I believe you.

Mar 12, 09 7:52 pm  · 
 · 
newport2009

yeah andimdone, maybe they meant you're not in YET, right? keep the hope alive baby~

Mar 12, 09 8:03 pm  · 
 · 
andimdone

k. thanks guys.

Mar 12, 09 8:09 pm  · 
 · 
scottaway

This thread is painfully addictive. I've been reading for a while, but I think it's time to come in from the cold and introduce myself.

B.A. in Art History / Econ from small liberal arts college
Internships at a couple Boston firms (Office dA, Goody Clancy)
Watson Fellowship year after college to go to the Sahara, the Arctic, Siberia, and Bangladesh to study architectural history of extreme climates
Worked at real estate development strategy consulting firm for past three years
3.5 gpa / 690v 690q 5.0w gre

Oregon: Accepted
Yale: No email yet, so probably rejection
Princeton: No phone call from Stan, so probably another rejection
MIT: ?
GSD:?
GSAPP: ?
Cornell: ?
Berkely: ?
SCI- Arc: ?
RISD: ?

Mar 12, 09 8:50 pm  · 
 · 
di-c

eh! I wake up to find this.... ugh, my heart is breaking. wish i could take a sick day.

Mar 12, 09 9:19 pm  · 
 · 
milkoner

Got into Univ of Buffalo and NJIT, applied to Pratt, Parsons and City but haven't heard back from then yet.

My back ground is in structural engineering and fine arts...

Mar 12, 09 9:22 pm  · 
 · 
ufcmp09

andimdone i got that email as well and the next day I got the email from the architecture department saying I was accepted just wait it out man

Mar 12, 09 9:30 pm  · 
 · 
milkoner

Hey Newporrt are you going to NJIT for the MArch 1 in fall 09? I got in as well and im interested in talking to others that have, what do you know about the program?? Are you from New York City?

Mar 12, 09 9:34 pm  · 
 · 
jimmyarch

***IMPORTANT***

In order to help each other out:

If you got into a school that you do not plan to attend, please tell the school right away so that everyone else who is freaking out right now can get a chance to take that spot sooner rather than later.

I'm sure you would all agree with my suggestion.

I will do the same.

Thanks.

Mar 12, 09 9:45 pm  · 
 · 
la_la

congrats to everyone who heard today - it's starting !!!

I just got home from the gym and after walking back from the mailbox glum and empty-handed i checked my email and heard from CCA :) yay! 2 for 2

Mar 12, 09 9:53 pm  · 
 · 
GiantClam

Awesome la_la! Congrats!

Mar 12, 09 10:01 pm  · 
 · 
newport2009

hey milkoner, i'll email you on what i've heard (it'll prolly be too long to post here) in the meantime, you should read the info that were posted by njit students/grads alike. they'll have much more in-depth knowledge.

so far, my favorite one is how the program really gives you the freedom to carve out your own path, instead of trying to mold you. they have crazy amount of international peeps just as in any other big programs (i love meeting people from all walks of life, my undergrad was like this so this factor is really important to me) + their technology advancements have been unparalleled. i've been told by a friend who graduated the program that although njit is the biggest arch. school in the eastcoast, it's like a little hidden secret. they also share lot of faculties from columbia and cooper union though the curriculum isn't geared too much on theoretical, it's somewhere in between but like i said, they really push you to find your own voice, treat you like a true adult and give you that freedom to explore the theoretical side if you wish, just not mandatory as it's in other programs.

just type in "njit" in the discussion search and you shall find mucho info! also, there are njit blogs within archinet too.

Mar 12, 09 10:07 pm  · 
 · 
newport2009

milkoner so basically...if you want to be a theorist, looking to publish a lot, this school will probably not be the right one for you. i have some opinions about parsons if you wish to know, you can email me :) good luck and keep me posted as we may be classmates!

Mar 12, 09 10:09 pm  · 
 · 
newport2009

congrats la_la and sorry for triple post - wOOps!

Mar 12, 09 10:12 pm  · 
 · 
Transition

hi newport - congrats on your getting into your school of choice!
if i may step in, i was wondering what you think of parsons (since you offered) .. i've been reading the older "parsons vs X" boards on archinect but would love your take.

Mar 12, 09 10:32 pm  · 
 · 

wow apparently a very exciting day back in the states while i was sleeping over here in japan last night!!!

congrats to everyone who has heard the good news!

and those who havent heard yet, try not to despair -- it's not over until its over. there is hope yet!

still no news over in this hemisphere... (gsd, mit, gsapp, upenn, berk, UF.... nada)

Mar 12, 09 11:10 pm  · 
 · 

oh yea and i forgot to mention... a buddy of mine got into 'cuse yesterday

Mar 12, 09 11:13 pm  · 
 · 
rsquared

i found this on another board:
http://www.ncarb.org/are/arepassrates_by_school.asp
it should make decisions about schools a little easier. anyway, i found it interesting

Mar 12, 09 11:44 pm  · 
 · 
birdie

i just got into columbia. check online!

Mar 13, 09 12:29 am  · 
 · 
MINIme

i def consulted that list while making my preliminary list of schools last summer since i have terrible test anxiety and wanted to feel prepared with my professional and educational experience (apparently architecture is worth putting myself through this personal hell so many times over haha)... but- as with most lists/rankings- must be taken with a grain of salt. worth a look!

Mar 13, 09 12:30 am  · 
 · 
newport2009

birdie, fabulous! congrats! wow, today was a tremendous day.

quick question for y'all. i'm thinking of getting a new laptop, any recommendations? i looked at the software/hardware section but thought maybe i could get a more direct, current info. thanks!

Mar 13, 09 12:38 am  · 
 · 
birdie

way to go random impulsive website checking. there was no email. i'm sure they just posted it at midnight.

thanks newport and congrats to all. i think you should get what the students at your new school have so you have access to same software etc.

Mar 13, 09 12:45 am  · 
 · 
jaymo24

birdie, where'd you find it on the website? couldnt find anything... :( anyways congrats.

Mar 13, 09 12:47 am  · 
 · 
birdie

it was at the bottom of the page. it just said decision status. maybe it is too early for them all to be uploaded.

Mar 13, 09 1:00 am  · 
 · 
sourdough

Great news birdie!
No update for me either on GSAPP's app site. Gonna be refreshing it for awhile now

Mar 13, 09 1:02 am  · 
 · 
freezingtimbers

Columbia!!!!!!!!!!!!

Best day of my life????????????????

Mar 13, 09 1:14 am  · 
 · 
GiantClam

Birdie congrats & thanks for the tip! I'm in at GSAPP too + scholarship! Weeeeee!

Mar 13, 09 1:15 am  · 
 · 
newport2009

freezingtimbers, congrats!!!

Mar 13, 09 1:15 am  · 
 · 
freezingtimbers

giant clam...scholarship? how do you know? I thought columbia didn't give scholarships?

Mar 13, 09 1:23 am  · 
 · 
kungapa

In at Columbia as well.

Mar 13, 09 1:31 am  · 
 · 
di-c

ack!!!!!!! columbia..... me too!!!!!! sssahakking

Mar 13, 09 1:37 am  · 
 · 

ahhhhh!! i got into columbia too!!!!!!!! AYAYAYYAAYA!!!!

Mar 13, 09 1:46 am  · 
 · 
GiantClam

Congrats Columbia friends!

freezingtimbers-the 'letter' that downloads when I click the 'Your application decision ... ' link told me about my scholarship. They had a scholarship app, due 2 weeks I think after the main app.

Mar 13, 09 1:57 am  · 
 · 
NotAnArchitect.yet

Joining the Columbia train!!!!!!!!

Mar 13, 09 2:01 am  · 
 · 
newport2009

wuh, 6 columbia in a row, so happy for you guys!!!

Mar 13, 09 2:23 am  · 
 · 
lost in stress

Fantastic, Congrats to all the Collumbia Folks!

Mar 13, 09 2:23 am  · 
 · 
ryan1691

I got in to columbia as well!

Mar 13, 09 2:38 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: