Archinect
anchor

2009 M.Arch applicants, commiserate here!

milkoner

Whoa - when did you find out about pratt?? How?? Tele, letter?? March1?

Mar 13, 09 3:25 pm  · 
 · 
beefeaters

Congrats on all the acceptances. I am currently in the M. Arch at columbia. Those of you who are wondering, they do not give much money to first years. After my first year, however, I received a very large scholarship for second year. So, they do give money, but tends to be more to second and third years.

Mar 13, 09 3:30 pm  · 
 · 
alphabetical

AHHHHH I got a call from Yung-Ho and I'm in at MIT!!!! It was definitely my top choice so save a complete lack of funding and inability to afford it, that's probably where I'll go! So far:

Accepted at UCLA, MIT, UBC
Waiting to hear from Berkeley, Harvard

Congrats to all!

Mar 13, 09 3:31 pm  · 
 · 
zahoffman

How did you hear from Pratt? I wasn't expecting anything until next week...

Mar 13, 09 3:33 pm  · 
 · 
Jola

jhooper - thanks for the link! Interesting to see how well UT Austin represents - woohoo!

Mar 13, 09 3:34 pm  · 
 · 
NotAnArchitect.yet

Guess the GSD is gonna go next week.

Anyway, getting into GSAPP means I'm pretty much set regardless of what happens, so now it's all just fun and games :)

Mar 13, 09 3:40 pm  · 
 · 
sturgey

landshark: I was thinking the same thing!

alphabetical: congrats! I'm incredibly jealous and happy for you hearing in such a great way!

How do those not in at Yale now feel about their chances at MIT/GSD? I'm feeling pretty low... but it could just be this serious hangover (product of last night's non-news). I ask, recalling that I've never met someone at GSD who hasn't gotten into Yale. I understand there is a degree of randomness to it all, but I cant help thinking that no Yale is a bad sign for the others in some way.

Mar 13, 09 3:41 pm  · 
 · 
kungapa

I know plenty of people at GSD who didn't get into Yale.

Mar 13, 09 3:42 pm  · 
 · 
newport2009

kungapa, and vice versa

Mar 13, 09 3:43 pm  · 
 · 
newport2009

hey sturgey, don't be discouraged at all! i have friend who got into: mit, gsd, yale, princeton, uva, berkeley, rice, penn, basically every single school she applied to but NOT columbia. so it can be totally random.

Mar 13, 09 3:46 pm  · 
 · 
kaywris

i can't access the gsapp page!!! and still no email either. is anyone else having the same problem???

Mar 13, 09 3:51 pm  · 
 · 
NotAnArchitect.yet

Seriously. Especially in a crap shoot year like this with the inflated number of applicants, I wouldn't go trying to find patterns in what was probably a whole lot of coin flipping in back rooms.

I kind of want to see what the numbers were looking like this year with applicants vs admits and total yield.

Mar 13, 09 3:54 pm  · 
 · 
zahoffman

I just want something, anything from Pratt today. Congrats to all the good news receivers today(and yesterday)!

Mar 13, 09 4:00 pm  · 
 · 
sturgey

...that is why I'm concerned with my crap gre's. damn you standardized tests!

Mar 13, 09 4:00 pm  · 
 · 
ballyhoo

i am waitlisted at yale. as soon as i hear back from a couple other schools, i will probably request to be taken off their waitlist for the sake of those who are also in the queue.

di-c, columbia offered 10k in scholarship.

Mar 13, 09 4:10 pm  · 
 · 
d33s5

Notified by Pratt via email.

Mar 13, 09 4:11 pm  · 
 · 
lost in stress

damn, no email from Pratt yet for me...

Mar 13, 09 4:19 pm  · 
 · 
milkoner

Me neither!! But im not sweating it, who could afford to go there anyway?? Do people really spend that much??

Mar 13, 09 4:21 pm  · 
 · 
joearch8

hey KAYSC.

Do you think you will be going to Clemson? Was your assistantship for your whole time there or just a year? Mine was partial for 1 year only. I'm pretty sure I will attend.

Rejected from UOregon today. Kind of a bummer. Wanted to go to Copenhagen.

BAC - In
Clemson - In
UOregon - rejected
SCAD - ?
RISD - ?
Pratt - ?
Tulane - ?

Mar 13, 09 4:24 pm  · 
 · 
fliptec

Got Columbia GSAPP-M.Arch acceptance this morning--a neat Birthday Present. However, sans free money.

To [beefeaters] do they really give more money 2nd and 3rd years? Is that typical of your colleagues in the program too?

Acceptaances to date:
UCLA
Columbia

Waiting for:
Yale
GSD
Princeton
UC Berkeley

Mar 13, 09 4:24 pm  · 
 · 
Jola

MIT acceptances cannot possibly be over... right?

Mar 13, 09 4:28 pm  · 
 · 
kaysc

joentasis - there's a good chance i'll go... it will be hard to turn down that kind of offer but i'm still waiting on 6 more schools... my assistantship was for the first year too. i'm pretty excited, should be a fun program with the charleston/genoa options. are you going to the open house? i'll probably see you there!

Mar 13, 09 4:34 pm  · 
 · 
Fraggle

I did not get an email from Columbia. :( I called them and they said the thing about sending out the emails in batches but I don't think I really believe them.

Two of my friends go to Columbia now they said that if you don't get money the first year that you will get something the second year. They aren't sure what happens the third year.

Here is my line up:

Wash U: No

Columbia: probably no
UIC: Probably no

UPenn: ?
Va tech: ?
U of Toronto: ?

My fiance got into Wash u and Columbia...:-/

Mar 13, 09 4:34 pm  · 
 · 
jhooper

I doubt they're done, last year they spread it out a bit. I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of other schools are still going to be sending out good news.

Fliptec, it doesn't surprise me that much that schools are holding the money back for a year. They probably want to know for sure that there's a good fit for the program before they invest tens of thousands of dollars in us.

Mar 13, 09 4:35 pm  · 
 · 
thisisck

...can somebody call GSD and find out......?

Mar 13, 09 4:37 pm  · 
 · 
Stasis

hi all
i just have a question to those who are waitlisted at Yale.
where did you check your status, is it the same website where we submitted online application?
if so, I guess i am rejected....
still waiting to hear from GSD and Berkeley...
in this economy, waiting another year and re-applying seem very discouraging...

Mar 13, 09 4:37 pm  · 
 · 
newport2009

5f2b, i'll call what do you need to know?

Mar 13, 09 4:39 pm  · 
 · 
zahoffman

Alright Pratt, lets dance.

Mar 13, 09 4:42 pm  · 
 · 
resplendent

Stasis -

https://apply.architecture.yale.edu/

from there at the top there was a status update above my mailing address that i could click on.

Mar 13, 09 4:44 pm  · 
 · 
ballyhoo

stasis, yale sent me an email to check my stats this morning. i logged into my app, and a letter popped up notifying me of being waitlisted. the same letter is on the way via snail mail too.

keep your head up. nothing is set in stone yet!

Mar 13, 09 4:45 pm  · 
 · 
minoho

For those who have heard from UCLA...how have you been notified?...email/post/tel????

Mar 13, 09 4:54 pm  · 
 · 
Stasis

thanks resplendent and, ballyhoo for your kind word.
well, good luck to you both..
I'll be probably praying for Cal to accept her/his prodigal son..

Mar 13, 09 4:56 pm  · 
 · 
newport2009

i feel like i'm watching a really stressful suspense movie, ripping out every kind of emotion that is within me, making me realize just how passionate and desperate we all are in wanting this!
congrats again and good luck to all still waiting!

Mar 13, 09 4:56 pm  · 
 · 
resplendent

Stasis it isn't over yet! Last year people were notified through mail about waitlist and not just email!

Mar 13, 09 4:57 pm  · 
 · 
la_la

minoho - i'm under the impression that the main batches of UCLA acceptances haven't been sent out yet, just the super special preferred acceptances.

Mar 13, 09 5:05 pm  · 
 · 
skip

From the GSD this am: Notification by mail the last week of march/first week of april....

Mar 13, 09 5:06 pm  · 
 · 
fliptec

To [jhooper] & [Fraggle] thanks for the insight!

I guess I would want to start another thread for financial aid, but given the varying circumstances amongst us all, there's no way we it would work. darnit!

Mar 13, 09 5:15 pm  · 
 · 
thisisck

newport2009,

umm. i am not exactly sure what i'd want to ask.
-_-.........

just a bit sick of pushing my f5 button just to see the same page pop up again, i guess.

haha

Mar 13, 09 5:17 pm  · 
 · 
never nude

There's an email out about a status update on the yale website.

Mar 13, 09 5:18 pm  · 
 · 
andimdone

where? never nude can you send a link?

your name, i like it. ;)

Mar 13, 09 5:22 pm  · 
 · 
newport2009

well but then he could never join our nuditekts inc. okok, enough about that joke, couldn't help it!

Mar 13, 09 5:24 pm  · 
 · 
never nude

there are literally dozens of us...
ok, it just sent me to the sign in page of the application..

Mar 13, 09 5:27 pm  · 
 · 
andimdone

I'm a spaz. you said email. not link. k nevermind. i will patiently wait for my email from yizzle.

Mar 13, 09 5:27 pm  · 
 · 
lesov

i just sent out a impulsive email to trish @ ubc to inquire.... gah... even though I know I'll know next week. Friday the 13th's have always been oddly lucky for me so who knows.
Now i'm going to spend the next 2.5 hours checking my email every 2.5 seconds.

Mar 13, 09 5:32 pm  · 
 · 
jhooper

Just got waitlisted at Pratt.

The email says to let them know if you want to stay on the list.

Mar 13, 09 5:34 pm  · 
 · 
N312

lesov - if you hear back from trish, please let us know. i'm also curious about UBC as well =)

... wonder if they'd call/email before the official letter

Mar 13, 09 5:38 pm  · 
 · 
lesov

i will, of course... it's bugging me because one person got a call... but the other person who called to ask, they said letters were going out next week. So, i'm sure the decisions are all made, just sitting there.

Mar 13, 09 5:42 pm  · 
 · 
inigojonesin

just got into pratt!!!

takes the bite out of the yale waitlist, a little.

so far...

UT-Austin - IN
Pratt - IN
Yale - Waitlisted...
Columbia - Nothing yet (rejection? waitlist?)
UCLA - ???
Berkeley - ???

Mar 13, 09 5:43 pm  · 
 · 
zahoffman

Someone on gradcafe.com just got rejected to the GSD by phone! How does that conversation go?

Student-"Hello?"
GSD-"Not good enough, maybe next year"
Student-"What?"
Click

I think I'd prefer a nice letter, like the one WashU already sent me...

Mar 13, 09 5:44 pm  · 
 · 
andimdone

For those of us idiots who haven't heard anything from Austin. I just got an email from Jane, the admissions lady.

"Your file has been reviewed, but not yet ranked. I have been told that I will have that information by Monday. It will take me a while to input decisions put I am hoping to have it done by mid-week."

I'm sure she is lying, but its still good news to know that its not all over for Austin juuuuuuuust yet.

Mar 13, 09 5:46 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: