Archinect
anchor

2009 M.Arch applicants, commiserate here!

lost in stress

congrats MFC! That is wonderful news.

Mar 12, 09 1:33 pm  · 
 · 
di-c

wow mfc. you really deserve all of our congrats. had you been expecting it or was it completely a shock?

does anyone else go back and forth envisioning acceptance (followed by nausea) and rejection (also followed by nausea)? there are split second moments where I am totally in the moment and feel that "this is really happening. and each time the pangs in my stomach grow in intensity

ugh. i need a life

Mar 12, 09 1:36 pm  · 
 · 
NotAnArchitect.yet

Congrats MFC!

Ack...I can't take the suspense anymore. I'm so useless at work these days, refreshing this thread, gmail, and gradcafe about every 30 seconds.

Mar 12, 09 1:36 pm  · 
 · 
jaymo24

wow MFC, congrats!!!!!! that is so awesome!

Mar 12, 09 1:41 pm  · 
 · 
meowkytekt

Congrats MFC! Sounds amazing.

How soon should one start freaking out if their own phone is not ringing? ahh, might be time to hit a nearby bar.

Mar 12, 09 1:44 pm  · 
 · 
gs11

di-c: No worries. I am right there with ya.

Mar 12, 09 1:48 pm  · 
 · 
sturgey

really great - can we see your portfolio? (I don't know if you've already shared)

Mar 12, 09 1:49 pm  · 
 · 
kaysc

congrats MFC! so so exciting... its nice to know people are actually hearing things every once in a while...

Mar 12, 09 1:51 pm  · 
 · 
lala84

notanarchitect.yet... i feel the same! i haven't done anything useful at work all week... i go make tea then refresh this thread, have a ciggy break then refresh, visit the washroom and refresh... ahhh i dunno what i'm to put on my timesheet this friday.. i wanna get on with my life and start making fun summer plans!

Mar 12, 09 1:52 pm  · 
 · 
sturgey

congrats - can we see your portfolio? (I don't know if you've already shared but I'm curious to see what a Princeton portfolio looks like!)

Mar 12, 09 1:55 pm  · 
 · 
newport2009

mfc, so you were the 3% that made it AAAND w/$$$? you are a superstar. congrats!!!!!!

Mar 12, 09 2:10 pm  · 
 · 
Matthew

Thanks for the good words...and for the support. I'm rooting for everyone here. (Open house is the 13th for anyone interested)

Mar 12, 09 2:11 pm  · 
 · 
MINIme

congrats MFC! how wonderful!

for all others like myself who have yet to hear from any of their schools... i am rather optimistic this week. our time will come. in the words of george michael... GOTTA HAVE FAITH!

ask me again next week, and ill prob be crying my eyes out at the mere thought of not having a "plan." what a rollercoaster indeed...

Mar 12, 09 2:13 pm  · 
 · 
meowkytekt

MFC, yes, can we please see your portfolio? Pretty please?

Mar 12, 09 2:18 pm  · 
 · 
la_la

MFC congrats! How awesome :) we're going to be on archinect debating the merits of your latest design treatise in a couple years :P

not to lessen your accomplishment, but I was under the impression that everyone accepted to Princeton's program was given $

let's see that portfolio please !

Mar 12, 09 2:19 pm  · 
 · 
n400

congrats, mfc! please considering posting your portfolio, if only temporarily...

Mar 12, 09 2:19 pm  · 
 · 
Transition

just joining with everyone's congratulations, MFC!
thanks for sharing and for hopefully getting the good news going..

by the way, do you guys think that the mailmen are late this week because of daylight savings time? i swear, my block gets served an hour later this week!!!!

Mar 12, 09 2:23 pm  · 
 · 
N312

congrats MFC!!!

Transition - I think you might be right. My mailman has been about an hour late this week. This is weird. Did they forget to turn the clock around or something?!?!?

Mar 12, 09 2:27 pm  · 
 · 
Transition

nah, probably just having a tough getting in gear like the rest of us ;/

Mar 12, 09 2:29 pm  · 
 · 
inigojonesin

so i just called yale and they said the letters are going out next week, when that means they'll arrive, i don't know. do people know if they called with the decision last year as well?

Mar 12, 09 2:32 pm  · 
 · 
kungapa

I agree with the rest MFC, it would be great to see your portfolio, as well as any tidbits of your background and stats you care to share!

Mar 12, 09 2:35 pm  · 
 · 
hobopajamas

congrats MFC!

so ... who's going to volunteer to call UCLA?

and, di-c: yes. i have definitely been going through the acceptance-nausea-rejection-nausea cycle, with increasing frequency as each day passes.

Mar 12, 09 2:36 pm  · 
 · 
lauren bebry

Just called UCLA... apparently they are still "processing the paperwork" and over the next two weeks decisions will be emailed to all applicants. After the emails, a formal, paper decision letter will be sent to your mailing address. sorry that's so vague, but it's all I could get. good luck everyone!

Mar 12, 09 2:46 pm  · 
 · 
lmnop15

Oregon said decisions should be done by the end of this week

Mar 12, 09 2:48 pm  · 
 · 
N312

finally,

i just called Uoregon. only got the answering machine and doesn't seem like they'd be picking up the phone to answer any question. although, the message said that if you really need to know, you can email them. oh well, i guess i'll just wait.

the funniest thing is, my heart was pounding like crazy the whole time i was on the phone listening to the message. i, too, need to get a life!!!

· 
newport2009

hoobopjams, i can call ucla, wht do you want to knw exactly?

· 
hobopajamas

newport, looks like l.b.'s got it,
thanks though!

you guys rock.

Mar 12, 09 2:50 pm  · 
 · 
N312

lmnop 15 - did you get to talk to them?

good to know though, thanks!

Mar 12, 09 2:51 pm  · 
 · 
lmnop15

I emailed and got a response from Helga Wood - I got a similar response from someone in the office about emailing when I called earlier this week, so I just sent a quick email this morning.

Mar 12, 09 2:59 pm  · 
 · 
gs11

I'm going to go out on a limb and be the jerk that everyone hates by saying this, but I'm going to say it anyway:

Please don't pressure MFC to share their stats or portfolio. If he/she wants to, that is fine. Everyone wants an easy way to judge why he/she got into Princeton. Or, more importantly, why they didn't make the cut. It is so easy for us all to make irrational comparisons. There is nothing wrong with this, it is human nature. Heck, I'm just getting over being mad about a former classmate getting into a school where I was waitlisted last week. This process is so incredibly random and subjective. Much like architecture itself. :) These decisions are not cut and dry. There is no way to understand them because none of us were there when they were made.

That being said, I think the sharing of portfolios is a GREAT way to learn from each other and provide constructive critique. However, I don't think its best done in the month of March when emotions are on a massive roller coaster anyway. It is just not productive. I'm just trying to save some anguish when we are all tense already.

Mar 12, 09 3:00 pm  · 
 · 

gsd?

Mar 12, 09 3:01 pm  · 
 · 
jhooper

well said gs11.

The only thing that i'd add is that decisions this year will likely be more random than in recent years due to the volume of applicants. You can't have several hundred applicants for a school without having some very well qualified people fall through the cracks.

Mar 12, 09 3:09 pm  · 
 · 
NotAnArchitect.yet

I've always wondered by Archinect doesn't have an anonymous survey for schools the way it does for salary. Something where people can list their stats such as, school attended, degree, GPA, GRE scores, extra activities and perhaps some portfolio work. People could then post the schools they applied to and where they got in. It's really what a lot of posts on this board are really looking for, anyway.

Mar 12, 09 3:12 pm  · 
 · 
andimdone

a pleasant reward for all that hard work. good job MFC!

Mar 12, 09 3:45 pm  · 
 · 
thisisck

MFC.

congrats.

did you apply for M. Arch I? or M. Arch II?

Mar 12, 09 3:46 pm  · 
 · 
sourdough

Accepted at UofO!!!!!!!!!!!

Portland MArch option II

· 
N312

OH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

my hands are definitely shaking right now ...

got an email from Helga Wood from Uoregon ... I AM IN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

M ARCH II - PORTLAND

THIS is my day. it's my BDay today. Happy Birthday to me!!! Celebration starts NOW!!!!!!

· 
andimdone

you guys are great! I am laughing out loud at these posts.

The excitement is palpable.

Mar 12, 09 3:49 pm  · 
 · 
Matthew

's been a good day....

Email from Bob Stern with good news from Yale...open house Apr. 9th.

mfc

Mar 12, 09 3:52 pm  · 
 · 
kungapa

Ditto. Yale is out as well.

Mar 12, 09 3:53 pm  · 
 · 
N312

i'm so tempted to start the 'best birthday present' thread right now...HAHA

· 
jaymo24

this thread is really filled with all types of emotions i could think of. LOL. congrats sourdough and N312, and happy birthday!

· 
sourdough

Congrats to you as well N312! Good birthday present

Mar 12, 09 3:56 pm  · 
 · 
freezingtimbers

Yale also!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Mar 12, 09 3:56 pm  · 
 · 
alphabetical

I think someone asked about the UBC post on thegradcafe? Haha, that was me. Got a phone call with some good news the other day :) So far:

Accepted
UCLA
UBC

Waiting
MIT
Harvard
Berkeley

Has anyone heard anything about MIT's decisions? Congrats to those who recently got acceptances!

Mar 12, 09 4:00 pm  · 
 · 
lesov

holy moly... i go for lunch and look what happens!!! Congratulations everyone!!!! Let's keep this awesome roll going!

Mar 12, 09 4:01 pm  · 
 · 
rsquared

lesov--go for lunch again and let's see what happens!

Mar 12, 09 4:03 pm  · 
 · 
lesov

haha... fine with me... but the bosses might take issue :) I'll pretend...

Mar 12, 09 4:07 pm  · 
 · 
N312

i'm definitely laughing at myself of how excited i am. this waiting game is sure not good for anybody's heart.

sourdough, congrats to you as well. and congrats to MFC - 2 in one day?? that's awesome!

thanks and good luck all. keep the good news coming!

Mar 12, 09 4:07 pm  · 
 · 
ducktect

Accepted at Yale!

waiting:

MIT
GSD
GSAPP

Mar 12, 09 4:09 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: