Archinect
anchor

2009 M.Arch applicants, commiserate here!

average_american

I wonder when those of us that applied to SMArchS will start hearing...

Mar 13, 09 12:30 pm  · 
 · 
average_american

MIT SMArchS that is...

Mar 13, 09 12:31 pm  · 
 · 
Jola

ooooh, I think it didn't show up when I searched because I searched for 'architecture' not 'arch'

thanks

Mar 13, 09 12:34 pm  · 
 · 
resplendent

no prob landshark so far I have seen this gradcafe acceptance to MIT and heard that a friend also got the call

I can imagine calling people takes a WHILE!

Mar 13, 09 12:37 pm  · 
 · 
kungapa

Also, MIT does not notify on a single day like most other schools - their acceptances seem to be spread out over almost a week.

Mar 13, 09 12:41 pm  · 
 · 
jimmyarch

I just got into COLUMBIA UNIVERSITY - GSAPP!!!!!!

Mar 13, 09 12:54 pm  · 
 · 
_juut

ut austin- in
columbia- in
tennessee- in
yale- ? (over?)
gsd- ?
penn- ?
berkeley- ?
cornell-?
sci-arc-?

Mar 13, 09 1:12 pm  · 
 · 
Entasis79

Congrats to all GSAPP acceptees!! Great program.

What an exciting day.

Nobody here has heard from MIT personally yet?

Mar 13, 09 1:19 pm  · 
 · 
Jola

aaarrrgggghhhhh.... wait-listed at yale.....

Mar 13, 09 1:21 pm  · 
 · 
jhooper

landshark, was it by email?

Mar 13, 09 1:25 pm  · 
 · 
resplendent

waitlisted at Yale through email to check for satus of application....

So i've been a stalker but I have been commenting...

07 Umich Grad 3.5 GPA Working in NYC for a year and a half

in:
Umich
GSAPP

waitlisted:
Yale

who knows?:
GSD
PENN

Mar 13, 09 1:30 pm  · 
 · 
newport2009

yale is $55,000/yr now??? that's insane so the full tuition will be in the end $165,000 w/an avg. of $50,000 starting salary if you're in NY. i really hope that number covers all living expenses and books.

Mar 13, 09 1:33 pm  · 
 · 
di-c

So...I have a really important question about GSAPP: if there was no mention of calc/physics prereqs, does that mean I'm clear and free?! Is this my one and only correspondence from the school before I accept/deny? No letter in the mail with more detailed info/conditions I should be on the guard for??

I hope not!

Also, does anyone know what a good scholarship from GSAPP would be? I picked up somewhere or another that Columbia doesn't give out very much, but what have you guys heard?

Still waiting for Yale and RISD...but guessing that it's over for me with those two...

Oh well! Still can't stop smiling.

Mar 13, 09 1:37 pm  · 
 · 
Jola

jhooper - same as resplendent: they sent an e-mail with instructions to check my status at their website.

Mar 13, 09 1:37 pm  · 
 · 
rsquared

On their website, Yale says "The tuition fee for the academic year 2008–2009 is $34,950." I can't believe they would increase tuition 20 grand a year? That can't be right. I don't know though, I haven't been accepted yet. Makes Columbia a bargain though...GSAPP here i come!

Mar 13, 09 1:38 pm  · 
 · 
resplendent

ugh landshark what do you think about this?!

do we feel that waitlist is pre-rejection?

Mar 13, 09 1:41 pm  · 
 · 
newport2009

hey di-c, i'm so happy for you. haha, i guess you can be a starkitect if you ever go back!

Mar 13, 09 1:41 pm  · 
 · 
resplendent

rsquared-projected cost usually means +living and books

and look more closely at columbia
it's 18,900 a semester, 37,800 a year...not cheaper unless you got some FAT money! :)

Mar 13, 09 1:45 pm  · 
 · 
_juut

columbia is 18,900x2/yr

Mar 13, 09 1:46 pm  · 
 · 
neilyoungisforlovers

I've conceded under the pressure, along with the intermittent hypertension ... so I'll post.

I'm a senior history major at a school on the quarter system, so I get to handle the rejection process while trying to focus on finals. I did Intro to Arch at GSAPP this summer and was told by all my profs/TAs that I should apply this year based on my "very strong" portfolio.

I applied to:
Yale: no emails yet...so probably a 'no'
GSAPP: same as above
MIT: seems like my chances are dwindling ...
GSD: ?
Berkeley: ?
UPenn:?
Cornell: ?

I only applied to reaches since I figured I take off time if I didn't get into a "top program". NY/Paris is an option, but I really want to avoid going through the application process again. Sorta wish I applied to UT, RISD, and UVA, but I was focusing on the Northeast (near home), and I strayed from RISD because I didn't want a mostly arts school.

It seems like I'm at a big handicap coming from directly undergrad with a liberal arts degree. My only art background is high school work, and GSAPP this summer. Has anyone ever been able to ask a school why they were rejected after the process was over?

Mar 13, 09 1:51 pm  · 
 · 
inigojonesin

i was waitlisted at yale too...

can we try to get a reading on how many people were in total?

Mar 13, 09 1:53 pm  · 
 · 
resplendent

inigojonesin - i see 4 at grad cafe one of them is me.

Mar 13, 09 1:55 pm  · 
 · 
rsquared

Oh, I thought she was saying tuition alone at Yale was 55 thousand. No, of course if you add cost of living to tuition at both schools they're about the same--$$$. And didn't mean to suggest Columbia is cheap! I just thought Yale tuition was $55000!!

Mar 13, 09 1:59 pm  · 
 · 
rsquared

Oh, I thought she was saying tuition alone at Yale was 55 thousand. No, of course if you add cost of living to tuition to both schools they're about the same--$$$. And didn't mean to suggest Columbia is cheap! I just thought Yale tuition was $55000!!

Mar 13, 09 1:59 pm  · 
 · 
rsquared

oops

Mar 13, 09 2:00 pm  · 
 · 
newport2009

i didn't mean anything, i was asking if that was all inclusive??? and of course....it is. phew, thank gosh.

Mar 13, 09 2:02 pm  · 
 · 
inigojonesin

um so this is sort of awkward but how many of the accepted yale students who got accepted elsewhere (like princeton, mit, gsapp, wherever) are thinking of turning down yale? i imagine the waitlist is rather large but still finite, so if we could get a feel when people are opening up spots that would be awesome. of course divulge this information at your own pace. i would GLADLY do the same.

Mar 13, 09 2:05 pm  · 
 · 
Jola

respendent - well, I think it's not good, but it's not bad either. If we do get accepted off that list we probably won't receive any financial aid though :( Are you waiting to hear from more schools? I'm still waiting for MIT, GSD and Berkeley, and staving off a severe drunken depression until I hear from those three, hah.

I've heard that yale has an acceptance rate around 9% which is probably even lower this year...

Mar 13, 09 2:06 pm  · 
 · 
snarkitekt

congratulations to all who've heard good news! and good luck to those still waiting. these few weeks in mid-march are the pits.

there've been a couple of tuition/scholarship questions floating around unanswered that i may be able to assist with: yale's tuition has not jumped $20K, that $55K figure is an estimate they provide for cost of attendance, including tuition, fees, living expenses, supplies, rent, etc. of all the schools i applied to last year, i found them to be the most willing to negotiate over financial aid, and the most susceptible to the "well, school X offered me more money" style of bargaining. they are also more willing to bargain on the advanced standing issue if they know they're competing against other schools.

newport, you asked about whether it was free to go to princeton. it's not. ten or fifteen years ago, when the school was even smaller, they were able to offer full fellowships to most or all of their students. now that the school is bigger (57 students total in the m.arch program), they still offer generous aid but no full fellowships that i know of. the breakdown is that 3 year students (m.arch I) get 3/4 tuition in fellowship, and 1.5 and 2 year students (m.arch II & advanced standing) get 1/2 tuition in fellowship, the idea being that all students graduate with roughly the same amount of debt. tuition is about $34K/yr, so everyone ends up paying $30-34K total. 2 year students end up paying the most, but princeton was still by far the cheapest of my options, handily beating out aid packages from 2 state schools.

and special congrats to MFC! i hope you're planning on coming to the open house, i found it really really helpful in getting a sense of the school. it's also important to be able to get some sense of what it's like to live here - don't know where you're from, but this suburban hamlet is just not for everyone....

Mar 13, 09 2:06 pm  · 
 · 
bardamu

I've posted a couple times but have mainly been a lurker.
Just wanted to say, thanks, this list has been really helpful, especially since my application felt like a shot in the dark many times.

I have an unrelated engineering background and have worked for 2.5 yrs in a corporate job.

My list (M Arch I):
UT Austin - accepted (and very excited for the open house)
MIT - ?
UCLA - ?
Berkeley - ?
Georgia Tech - ?

Congratulations to everyone who's gotten acceptances and good luck to everyone who is still waiting!

Mar 13, 09 2:09 pm  · 
 · 
neilyoungisforlovers

and ditto to bardamu: congrats to everyone! and thanks for keeping everyone updated!

Mar 13, 09 2:11 pm  · 
 · 
ryan1691

got into MIT!

Mar 13, 09 2:14 pm  · 
 · 
resplendent

landshark- still waiting for GSD and PENN, although Im pretty satisfied with Columbia in place of Penn.

Trust me I had a freak out attack yesterday when my sig. other got into yale, don't get me wrong I was so happy but also worried.

I tried to drink..it didn't work..that's when i knew I was stressed the fuck out.

just a random question: are there any women on this thread who have gotten into Yale?

Mar 13, 09 2:15 pm  · 
 · 
newport2009

hi snarkitekt, thanks for your info. i was starting to feel really sad for not having applied if the tuition there and njit would have come out relatively the same in the end. as they're the only 2 accredited schools in this state :)

Mar 13, 09 2:17 pm  · 
 · 
Entasis79

Ryan...WOW!!! CONGRATS!!!
Who called you?

Mar 13, 09 2:17 pm  · 
 · 
newport2009

hi ryan 1691, that is AMMMAZING. congrats!

Mar 13, 09 2:18 pm  · 
 · 
ryan1691

the dean himself... what a weird wonderful call

Mar 13, 09 2:20 pm  · 
 · 
newport2009

damn, you nailed it ryan

Mar 13, 09 2:22 pm  · 
 · 
n400

"n400 apparently pratt still accepts apps now
why do you want to apply to more schools?
hows your list going?"

I only applied to my state school (U of F), but just found out that my application is still incomplete and am worried that I won't get any $, if I am even accepted.

Mostly, I'm asking to see if there is any truth to what a friend of mine said. He insists that application deadlines are meaningless and it's actually better to apply at a different time when you stick out more. I thought of applying to a couple that seem to offer a lot of aid, just in case.

Mar 13, 09 2:31 pm  · 
 · 
GiantClam

Congrats on MIT!

BTW I am a woman & got into Yale.

Mar 13, 09 2:32 pm  · 
 · 
newport2009

i'm sorry but i just can't help gushing over ryan's acceptance. there's something so pure and untouched w/mit's program, at least to me. no pretension, no hype, just pure genius work exploding out of that program. i respect that program more than life itself. i'm so happy for this stranger :)

Mar 13, 09 2:35 pm  · 
 · 
import

i also am in at Yale and female.

also, congrats ryan, but isn't mit's dean a woman?

Mar 13, 09 2:41 pm  · 
 · 
bartleby

resplendent, et al: add one (dude) to the yale waitlist

UMich: accepted
UVa:accepted
WashU: accepted
Yale: waitlist
MIT: nothing yet, is that a no?
GSAPP: nothing yet, is that a no?
GSD: nothing yet
Cornell: nothing yet
UCincinatti: nothing yet

Mar 13, 09 2:51 pm  · 
 · 
ryan1691

correction- the head of the arch dept. Yung Ho Chang

still, i like the personal touch

Mar 13, 09 2:52 pm  · 
 · 
import

didn't mean to be negative...i totally agree with you, and yung ho is pretty awesome :-)

Mar 13, 09 2:58 pm  · 
 · 
theglow

just got into Syracuse! I can breath now!

Mar 13, 09 3:02 pm  · 
 · 
N312

yeah, after an acceptance yesterday, i feel like i can finally be myself again. now i can just relax, wait and see what else is coming. life is just great now :)

congrats to all the acceptances today!

Mar 13, 09 3:17 pm  · 
 · 
nickthegreek

got into GSAPP(no $$) and PRATT(with $$)!

Mar 13, 09 3:17 pm  · 
 · 
jhooper

I just had some rankings sent to me. As someone who is skeptical of the DI rakings (to say the least), I did find this interesting. It ranks arch professors into tiers. Seems to be based on their research, so I don't know that it speaks to their actual teaching ability.

link

Mar 13, 09 3:19 pm  · 
 · 
d33s5

Got into Pratt with money!! For a Canadian with no arch background and no formal art background, not bad!

Now I debate on whether I can afford to go...

Mar 13, 09 3:23 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: