Archinect
anchor

2009 M.Arch applicants, commiserate here!

lesov

lala84...close, i'm in victoria. Hope you don't get the ax :) I hope i only have to figure out what to do for 5 months and not until the economy turns around.
good luck to us both :)

Mar 11, 09 12:46 pm  · 
 · 
thisisck

so the mailman came and went.

nothing.

today is not the day.

Mar 11, 09 1:20 pm  · 
 · 
GiantClam

Lesov,
that sucks, though its really awesome of your boss to give you advanced notice. If you are laid off, I hope you are able to enjoy the time off of work before going back to school. I think my lay off was a blessing in disguise: I have lots of downtime now, which I wont have during school, and since it looks like we're moving, I'll have the necessary time to take care of packing, house hunting, etc.

I understand what you mean though-being laid off made the grad school pressure harder to deal with, no longer having my job as my back-up plan. Good luck to you with UBC!

Mar 11, 09 1:32 pm  · 
 · 
N312

mailman came, dropped off envelopes, and left.

nope, not today.

Mar 11, 09 1:45 pm  · 
 · 
Jola

I still have like four hours till my mailman comes... there's still hope for me today!

Mar 11, 09 1:52 pm  · 
 · 
inigojonesin

i have a weird feeling due to the increase in apps we won't be hearing much of anything for a few days...i'm thinking march 16-7 will be big days

Mar 11, 09 1:58 pm  · 
 · 
ocotillo

UT status website updated just now, several days after acceptance notice by email. others might want to check, too.

Mar 11, 09 2:33 pm  · 
 · 
newport2009

OMGOMGOMG!!! i just called my school njit and to my luck, they had JUST accepted me 1 minute before i called! BUT the dept. head said that it has to be official w/the general grad. admissions office? which will be on friday. however, he said that the gen. grad. admissions office have never turned down the dept.'s acceptance recommendation in their history so he said it's "guaranteed", just can't state it officially yet? does this mean it IS guaranteed? oh gosh, i don't want to be jinxed! also, i had a 2.9 gpa and he said generally, they don't give out $$ to anyone below 3.0 but since my portfolio exceeded their standard and what they expect from a candidate w/a min. 3.0, they will throw in 40% free $.

WOW. i feel like i can breathe again and my sanity is back 100%. now only if i can stop jumping up and down like a 6 yr. old girl! a big final exhale coming.....PHEEEEEEEW. sorry for a long email and i'm blowing my lucky wind to those still waiting. am i dreaming???

Mar 11, 09 2:34 pm  · 
 · 
newport2009

oops, ^has, another schtupid edit from my engrish

Mar 11, 09 2:35 pm  · 
 · 
N312

wow, newport2009, congrats!!!

i wish i have the nerve to call the schools. what did you say? just called and asked for your status?

Mar 11, 09 2:39 pm  · 
 · 

congrats ;)

Mar 11, 09 2:39 pm  · 
 · 
la_la

congrats Newport!!

Mar 11, 09 2:41 pm  · 
 · 
lesov

WOOHOO!! Right on newport!! Wanna call my school for me :D

Mar 11, 09 2:43 pm  · 
 · 
kaysc

congrats newport!

Mar 11, 09 2:44 pm  · 
 · 
newport2009

thanks guys, i've been on the verge of instituting myself in a mental asylum for the past 2 weeks, i half-jokingly even told my husband to put me on that tv show "intervention". this is why i just picked up that damn phone after looking at it "should i, should i not?" about a 1,000 times and closed my eyes and did it!

yes, i just politely asked what my status was and it just went on from there. also, thanks for all your support, i didn't really tell anyone about applying due to my very risky 1/1 chance at this so your cyber camaraderie helped along the way. i can only hope my whining and jokes have supported y'all too in some small way! ok, we're all in this together and i really hope every single one of us gets to fulfill our first step in this arch. journey.

if you're still lingering about making the phone call, i really don't see why you shouldn't as long as you just politely ask what your status is? it can also make you seem that passionate about going to their school!!! good luck!

Mar 11, 09 2:53 pm  · 
 · 
andimdone

congrats newport!!!! that is so awesome. what a success story!

Mar 11, 09 2:57 pm  · 
 · 
missmeer

congrats newport :)
that's fantastic!

Mar 11, 09 2:58 pm  · 
 · 
GiantClam

Congrats Newport!!!
I hope you have an excellent time celebrating w/ your hubby tonight!

Mar 11, 09 2:58 pm  · 
 · 
D7mY

Newport congrats...I don't want you to make the call for me...but at least next to me when I make the call...

Mar 11, 09 3:00 pm  · 
 · 
newport2009

thank you guys so much! btw, i can mimmick anyone's voice and won't be chargin' no fees, if you need my service ;)

Mar 11, 09 3:05 pm  · 
 · 
meowkytekt

Congrats!

Mar 11, 09 3:09 pm  · 
 · 
sturgey

fantastic!

Mar 11, 09 3:31 pm  · 
 · 
lost in stress

congrats newport!

Mar 11, 09 3:44 pm  · 
 · 
newport2009

now, ok, back to reality, back to earth. i have to move out from our beautiful doorman waterfront building i worked so damn hard to get for a decade, to a cheaper place, like a dungeon or an underground lab......
no more fantasy living por mi, back to reality, in its all glorious form :(
this better be worth it ;)

btw, y'all rock.

Mar 11, 09 3:55 pm  · 
 · 
jaymo24

wow, that is sooo awesome newport! congrats! reading your posts i can really feel your excitement! i bet youre jumping around? haha. :)

Mar 11, 09 4:03 pm  · 
 · 
jaymo24

wow, that is sooo awesome newport! congrats! reading your posts i can really feel your excitement! i bet youre jumping around? haha. :)

Mar 11, 09 4:04 pm  · 
 · 
newport2009

hey jaymo24, i was until i came back down to earth and realized that i have to live a poor student's life at my old age once again ;) i'm really kidding though, i really don't care where i live, this means the world to me :)

Mar 11, 09 4:06 pm  · 
 · 
n400

congrats, newport!!!

Mar 11, 09 4:09 pm  · 
 · 
ocotillo

congrats newport. i, too, feel the struggle up that hill to "adulthood" when i won't be living just as i did when i was 19. but i keep rolling back down with each major change, and now arch school. like some masochistic Sisyphus.

Mar 11, 09 4:22 pm  · 
 · 
newport2009

hey ocotillo, i know right! hm....i wonder why erykah badu's line "on and on and on and on, my cipher keeps movin' like a rolling stone..." is stuck in my head ever since i started thinking about this lifestyle change? ha! i guess that's how i feel about this subject :)

Mar 11, 09 4:34 pm  · 
 · 
lesov

giantclam.... yes, i'm not too worried about it, as long as i get in, i can go on EI and use the time to deal with all the other things that will need to be taken care of before we move. It's the 'what-if' i don't get in that freaks me out. I'm so very tempted to call... but i'm at work, can't do it here. I wonder what time they work til.
ocotillo & newport.... i think that as a restless spirit, we find ways to ensure that there is constant chaos. This is the longest i've been stationary and I do believe that why i chose now to apply. thank goodness my hubby is restless like i am, he's always up for a move. i wonder if i will ever feel satisfied to be putting down roots?

Mar 11, 09 4:52 pm  · 
 · 
lala84

lesov, good luck to you too :) but EI really isn't too bad... it's like 55% of your salary? i actually hope i get laid off around june/july so i can have some down time before school begins and still have some money coming in..
have you applied anywhere else?

Mar 11, 09 5:09 pm  · 
 · 
Roarkschach

hey newport congrats! very happy for you.

For all the UTers, my status online just updated as well.
Recommend checking for all the rest of y'all.
I'll be sure to give a thorough report after their open house the 27th.

Mar 11, 09 5:14 pm  · 
 · 

will someone call the GSD tomorrow and ask them what the deal is? Maybe someone who didn't even apply, so they don't risk the ire?

pwease?

Mar 11, 09 6:36 pm  · 
 · 
newport2009

just outta curiosity...why are people so scared to call their schools?

Mar 11, 09 6:37 pm  · 
 · 

are you volunteering? the # is (sixoneseven) 495-5453.

thanks!

Mar 11, 09 6:43 pm  · 
 · 
lesov

an irrational fear that they will put a big black X over my name, because I DARE to call them before they had finished their 'process'.
call me crazy....

Mar 11, 09 6:54 pm  · 
 · 
burritobrittany

newport...thank the gods!

Mar 11, 09 6:56 pm  · 
 · 
newport2009

hey guys! 10, no i'm not volunteering unless you really need my mimicking help - i'll be all yours ;) and i see that you're in the boston area, one of the toughest town to be at the moment huh????

lesov, i know we are in a similar state!? you're not crazy at all and it's commendable of you for having the patience to wait any longer! maybe I am the crazy one but from what i've learned here in nyc, a diplomatic, courteous persistence breaks down resistance :) if anything, you calling them may have them realize just how passionate you really are about attending their program!

burritobrittany, seriously! i've been thanking the gods i never knew existed before this process and i've been a monotheist all along! thank THE god, the God, and all of you for helping me through this torture!

Mar 11, 09 7:04 pm  · 
 · 
andimdone

has anyone who got into UW Seattle gotten any financial aid info?

Before this M.ARCH process, I never applied for financial aid so I am not sure what the protocol is. Should I be waiting for some aid (via letter/email) from the school, or were they already supposed to tell me I got a scholarship (if i got one) when they called me? When Parsons called they told me right away that I got a scholarship, but its a private school. Are public schools different? I am thoroughly confused....I should probably just call the school, buuuuuut I thought I would ask ya'll first.

Mar 11, 09 7:12 pm  · 
 · 
kanu

I have not heard anything from UW regarding aid. Though my efc was higher then the price of tuition (in-state). In the big packet they sent out last week there was some generic blurb about how most grad students that qualify for work study can get assistantships or something like that. I will call tm too. For now it's back to drywalling this ceiling. You don't worry about your apps as much when your arms feel like they are going to fall off.

Mar 11, 09 8:03 pm  · 
 · 
meowkytekt

10: Ok, my architect friend volunteered, she'll call tomorrow. I'll post whatever I find out. I might have her call other schools too while she's at it. This is kind of fun actually. Thanks for suggesting it 10.

Mar 11, 09 8:03 pm  · 
 · 

THANK YOUR FRIEND.

On the GSD website it says early April so don't getcha hopes up.

Mar 11, 09 8:23 pm  · 
 · 
andimdone

thanks kanu. please let me know if learn anything important from the office.

Mar 11, 09 8:27 pm  · 
 · 
N312

so, are people who got accepted to UW seattle receiving the packets this week and last week? I never heard anything from them except a while back when they couldn't find my transcript.

*sigh*

I'm hopeless.

Mar 11, 09 8:45 pm  · 
 · 
N312

wow, someone got a phone call from UBC today according to gradcafe.... congrats to that person.

Mar 11, 09 8:48 pm  · 
 · 
rsquared

N312: Yes, I received my packet from UW this week, but I think they're probably going to accept more people. I got a call in late feb. and I only just received the said packet yesterday, so I'm guessing they're not done yet. Don't mean to give false hope--i'm still waiting for UBC too. It's a horrible waiting game.

Mar 11, 09 9:09 pm  · 
 · 
andimdone

N312: I got a call late feb too from UW and got a package a few days ago...not exciting at all. Just something that tells me I have to have a measles vaccination.

But, I def don't think they are done with their admissions. Keep holding on!

Mar 11, 09 9:17 pm  · 
 · 
j'aime

GSD: Q: When will I hear?

A: Applicants will receive a decision letter by the last week of March. Admitted students also will receive financial aid information (if they applied for financial aid) along with a variety of materials about housing, student groups, etc. Students offered admission must let us know their decision by April 15. An open house for admitted student is scheduled each April.

also many people last year got results this time in or around this week......

Mar 11, 09 9:53 pm  · 
 · 
andimdone

um...whoa...i just had the "holy shit how am I going to pay for all of this" freakout. what am I thinking?

Mar 11, 09 10:15 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: