Archinect
anchor

2009 M.Arch applicants, commiserate here!

burritobrittany

newport...

thats because fourth season is so-so. Go back to first or second ... glorious.

Mar 10, 09 1:40 pm  · 
 · 
N312

still nothing for me today ... UGHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!

Mar 10, 09 1:42 pm  · 
 · 
newport2009

hey burritobrittany, yeah, i've been watching it from the first season and i totally agree w/you that it's becoming so watered down and it's just dragging way too long. even the writing which is totally the staple of that show :(
i did miss last half of the 3rd season, what happened to bultar? hm, i find myself missing him~ omg, did i just say that aloud?

Mar 10, 09 1:47 pm  · 
 · 
MINIme

long time reader, first time poster...

BA in Arch '07
3.4 GPA
500V/520Q/5W
summer internships, and currently doing my best to survive layoffs at a large corp firm

[UT Austin] (also received the finaid email awhile back, but at the time assumed it was just bc i had completed my fafsa so early...) have yet to hear any official word, and my UT EID status still reads the same as andimdone... im assuming the worst at this point
[UVA] no word (has anyone heard since those first few calls? i believe letters go out this week, but being on the west coast i know mine will be a few days behind either way)
[Kent State] (dual MArch/MBA) wont hear until end of april
[Kentucky] wont hear until beginning of april

"You can't have our money... oh, and by the way, you aren't even good enough to attend our school anyway. Love, UTSOA"

Forget about $$; at this point, I'm just praying one of these widely-ranged schools will take me.

BRUTAL = FML

Mar 10, 09 1:48 pm  · 
 · 
sourdough

imsleepy - I've been accepted to Wisconsin-Milwaukee as of 2/14. Also my alma mater, perhaps that's why I heard so early.

The waiting continues...getting bad this week. Hopefully by the end of the week things pick up.

Mar 10, 09 1:53 pm  · 
 · 

A lay-over on the trip of life.

Mar 10, 09 1:58 pm  · 
 · 
abc91686

Just had a meeting with the Dean here at Kent State.

160 Applicants, ~60 spots, only 50 applications are complete.

@MINIme i would expect them to start ASAP on the ones that are finished but half of that 160 are from the 80 or so of us who are here for undergrad. MAYBE 40 will be staying MAYBE....best of luck.

Mar 10, 09 2:05 pm  · 
 · 
whatevertect

@abc91686
Only 50 were complete? Is that common to have so many incomplete applications? How do they treat the complete vs incomplete apps?

Mar 10, 09 2:13 pm  · 
 · 
andimdone

wait MINIme, you got the thing from fin aid saying you're not accepted to the school?

Mar 10, 09 2:18 pm  · 
 · 

this helps me with the waiting

http://thisiswhyyourefat.com

Mar 10, 09 2:19 pm  · 
 · 
newport2009

ooh 10, i don't know if i want to barf or dig into picture 2. either way, thanks for sharing. since i've been a whining baby here, i'd like to contribute something positive so here:
http://www.fmylife.com/

maybe we should add our entries too.

Mar 10, 09 2:23 pm  · 
 · 
rsquared

yuuuumm 10. good find, that helped

Mar 10, 09 2:24 pm  · 
 · 
andimdone

oooooh ooooooh i just got a call from parsons with 12k in aid!

Mar 10, 09 2:25 pm  · 
 · 
newport2009

congrats andimdone!! that is faaaantastic! isn't that almost 50% of the tuition? woohoo!

Mar 10, 09 2:26 pm  · 
 · 
MINIme

@abc91686- thanks, ill be not-so-patiently waiting in the meantime! ill be back in the cle area at the end of april, and intend on visiting then... any suggestions of who i should meet/coordinate with (ive been corresponding with diane over the last 8 months)?

@andimdone- yes, it read as follows:

The Office of Student Financial Services (OSFS) has electronically
received your 2009-2010 FAFSA application from the Department of
Education. However, we cannot process your application because you have not been admitted to The University of Texas at Austin.

Questions regarding your admission status should be directed to the
Office of Admissions at 512-475-7387 (512-475-7390 for gradute students) or the Admissions home page at http://www.utexas.edu/prospective

Using your UT EID, you can monitor the status of your UT-Austin aid
application through the Check Aid Status Here (CASH) site at
http://finaid.utexas.edu/

Mar 10, 09 2:27 pm  · 
 · 
MINIme

p.s. congrats andimdone!

Mar 10, 09 2:28 pm  · 
 · 
rsquared

@ MINIme, is it possible that they can't process your FAFSA because they haven't admitted you *yet*? I mean, I don't know how they do these things, but maybe you have to be accepted first before they even look at the fafsa. Not sure, but maybe you should look into it.

Mar 10, 09 2:35 pm  · 
 · 
newport2009

for those who have received word from fafsa through your admitted schools, how are they measuring up? do you feel that there has been a decrease/increase in funding? just curious as to see how they're holding up in this uncertain condition - thanks.

Mar 10, 09 2:40 pm  · 
 · 
MINIme

@rsquared- yes, at the time i was hopeful and assumed it was "...yet," especially since i filed my fafsa the day it was available, and for the same reasons you mentioned. but having not received an email as of last wknd, im preparing myself for waitlist/rejection. my only hope is that i have still not received an official letter either way, and my online profile hasn't been updated since my application was complete and forwarded to the committee for review. if i dont hear anything by the end of next week (allowing a week for postal), i intend on calling to verify.

Mar 10, 09 2:43 pm  · 
 · 
andimdone

k so minime, what does it say on your financial aid page the CASH page?

mine says this

"Welcome!
Terms of Use: Financial aid records are protected by the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act of 1974 (FERPA). You are responsible for ensuring the security of the information you access. Furthermore, you may not disclose this information without prior consent. "

thats it. the same for every option. (app status, my financial aid, etc.)

ummmmm. okay. I'm hoping its because they haven't made a decision about me yet? what does your say?

Mar 10, 09 2:44 pm  · 
 · 
MINIme

same... and just rechecked my admissions status page, and it still says the same thing that yours did. lets be hopeful together!

on that note, i must get back to work/try my hardest not to constantly hit refresh on archinect...

Mar 10, 09 2:51 pm  · 
 · 
rsquared

@ mini: oh, well, I hope you get in...it's still possible, financial's got to be separate from arch dept. but that's a brutal way to find out in any case.

Mar 10, 09 2:55 pm  · 
 · 
NotAnArchitect.yet

Here's my waiting room reading: http://sorry-mom.com/

Mar 10, 09 3:03 pm  · 
 · 
missmeer

congrats on parsons andimdone :)

in or not the fin aid website at utexas sounds like it could take awhile to update... i received email telling me that they would be processing my fafsa over the next two weeks.

Mar 10, 09 3:07 pm  · 
 · 
Fraggle

got my rejection letter from wash u today :(

Mar 10, 09 3:21 pm  · 
 · 
newport2009

fraggle, sorry to hear that. how many more schools left? at least you have other schools to hear from :)

Mar 10, 09 3:33 pm  · 
 · 
inigojonesin

anyone know when ucla or ucberkeley is supposed to hit us with their decisions?

Mar 10, 09 3:39 pm  · 
 · 
Fraggle

I applied to:

UIC - Still haven't heard anything but I'm thinking its probably a no.
Wash U - No
Columbia - ?
U Penn - ?
U of Toronto - ?
Virginia Tech - ?

My fiance got into wash u so there may be one more spot for those who got wait listed but that's if we don't decide to just have me work for two more years or something while he goes to school.

Mar 10, 09 3:42 pm  · 
 · 
NotAnArchitect.yet

I haven't heard anything from their architecture departments yet, but neither of them think I'm ready to plan a city.

Personally, I think it has to do with me moving out of CA a year and a half ago. That's right, I left California. You're not so great. Deal with it.

Mar 10, 09 3:46 pm  · 
 · 
abc91686

@whatevertect- Kent State Graduate Students (ALL GRADUATE SCHOOLS) are required to submit all supporting materials to the Graduate Admissions Office. They only have 5-6 ppl working 1000's of applications for ALL of KSU's schools. And the College of Arch has had a kind of breakdown in the administrative structure as of late, which facilitated the lack of complete applications

@MINIme- Diane is a good source, others of mention at the school are Dean James Dalton, Prof. Jonathan Fleming, me...dont know what your intent is, but I have been here for 4 years and plan to be here for 2 more (M.Arch+MBA). If you want any info let me know....

Mar 10, 09 3:50 pm  · 
 · 
andimdone

I think i just figured out why architects wear black.

Its because of Autocad glare. It is sunny out and all I can see in my screen is the reflection of my red and white striped shirt. So distracting.

Mystery solved. ;)

Mar 10, 09 4:35 pm  · 
 · 
thisisck

andimdone

thats dam convincing...

Mar 10, 09 4:39 pm  · 
 · 
fleurdelis

joining in...

BA in Architecture '07
3.9 GPA
580V/670Q/5.5W

U Mich: accepted (2G)
Wash U St. Louis: accepted (2.5 year)
UVA: ?
OSU: accepted

Has anyone who has been accepted to U Mich not received your financial package in the mail yet? I'm anxiously awaiting any scholarship decisions, not to mention that fine t-shirt you all are speaking of...

Mar 10, 09 5:01 pm  · 
 · 
amnesiac

imsleepy you from UWMilwauke?
yeah i don't know what their deal is. i haven't heard anything either. maybe i'll stop over there tomorrow and slap em in the face.

i hope you get accepted at Pratt with a full ride and denied from UWM. that'd be a cool story.

Mar 10, 09 5:29 pm  · 
 · 
zahoffman

amnesiac,

Not UWMilwaukee but UIC instead. One of my buddies got accepted to UWM but one of his recs was Somol so I am hoping that is one reason he heard back early. I'm still waiting, just losing the "patiently" part.

From reading past threads I would love to go to Pratt, I'm just afraid of when/if I'll hear from them.

Mar 10, 09 5:44 pm  · 
 · 
Roarkschach

Does anyone know how bad it is that I just submitted my FAFSA?

If I missed the deadline for initial consideration in CA can I still receive money?

Mar 10, 09 5:54 pm  · 
 · 
GiantClam

Congrats andimdone! And anyone else whose been recently accepted! It seems a lot has been going on in the past few days?!

I've been MIA, and have little to add to the forum except well wishes and congrats, and perhaps a curious anecdote: I found out today that one of my best buds from undergrad got the same exact RISD acceptance and fin aid as me... and is pretty likely to go. That'd be amazing!

inigojonesin--I haven't heard anything from either UCs, but I know someone who applied to UCB's joint M.Arch/MLA and recently received a rejection. Since it seems MLA notification are soon followed by MArch (on grad cafe), this may be a sign of things to come. Though a couple people on here have heard from UCLA through the ucla.gdnet website.

Mar 10, 09 6:21 pm  · 
 · 
jhooper

The impression i got last year was that you can still get money, just maybe not as much had you submitted it on time. I think they keep a pool of money availible for late submissions. This is just what i remember and could very well be wrong, you might want to check last year's thread, i think it was talked about somewhere in there.

Mar 10, 09 6:21 pm  · 
 · 
Workshop B

The UC's are always slow. I got my rejection letter last year from UCLA on March 18 and from Berkeley on March 27. But they did acceptance emails first. I would say next week seems more likely for the majority of schools. For Pratt people, I got accepted there last year on the 13th.

Mar 10, 09 6:54 pm  · 
 · 
Jola

As an architect, I pledge to wear plaid and paisley.

Mar 10, 09 7:02 pm  · 
 · 
meowkytekt

as an architect, I pledge to wear Christian Louboutin's, especially while working in Rhino.

Mar 10, 09 7:17 pm  · 
 · 

I give up.

ITT Technical Institute School of Drafting and Design here I come.

Mar 10, 09 7:25 pm  · 
 · 
lost in stress

as an architect, I pledge wear white on white on white

Mar 10, 09 7:30 pm  · 
 · 

as an architect i pledge to wear nothing.

Mar 10, 09 7:38 pm  · 
 · 
MossMan

Why do you guys want to do this to yourself?!? Architecture school hurts! I have been up nearly 3 nights for my second major review in 3 days (not including the exam we had today). Talk about poor scheduling.

However, with that said, school is still pretty amazing. The positives make the 5am nights worth it.

Good luck with the application process!

Mar 10, 09 7:53 pm  · 
 · 
meowkytekt

Oh yes! Let's start a nudist architecture firm. Talk about low carbon footprint and 'going back to nature'. We have to come up with a kick-ass slogan though. 10, what ideas have you?

Mar 10, 09 7:54 pm  · 
 · 
newport2009

how about something like "emerging nakedtecture"?

Mar 10, 09 8:16 pm  · 
 · 

free-range anatomical discourse

Mar 10, 09 8:26 pm  · 
 · 
meowkytekt

I suppose I could still wear the Louboutins...that doesn't disqualify me, does it?

I propose:
Nudus Architecture & Co.

Or:
ego te provoco Architecture (read: I dare you Architecture).

Ok, maybe I need to get off this Latin website...

Mar 10, 09 8:28 pm  · 
 · 

disposable-aeronchair seat covers

Mar 10, 09 8:28 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: