Archinect
anchor

2009 M.Arch applicants, commiserate here!

missmeer

Davester - that's crazy expensive quote on the perfect bind, but i ran into similar problems trying to find someone that would wire bind my portfolio (requirement for one of my schools - i forget at this point - was that the portfolio be able to lie open and flat). i needed only 3 and basically had printers laughing at me. luckily one tipped me off to someone that would do small runs. but yeah, who knew??

Mar 6, 09 1:23 pm  · 
 · 
hobopajamas

the suspense is virtually intolerable.

you know how they euthanize race horses with broken legs to put them out of their misery?

yea...

PS - davester, watanabe: did you guys go to high school overseas or just for undergrad? i've got a quite a few friends who went to ASIJ and saint mary's (i'm half korean, was born in ohio, but grew up in hong kong and taiwan).

Mar 6, 09 1:27 pm  · 
 · 
GiantClam

I want to be cryogenically frozen til I get everything in the mail.

Mar 6, 09 1:54 pm  · 
 · 
sturgey

After observing the forum from afar, I've decided to get into the game. I'm 25, a BSc. ARCH. from UVA ('05) with 4 years experience working (Office dA, Kennedy & Violich, and currently Moshe Safdie) and teaching (Boston Architectural College) in Boston. This is my second year applying and I feel much more confident about my schools and my work.

I've got my portfolio available for d/l here:
http://sturgeon.kyle.googlepages.com/ksturgeon_digital.pdf

THE LIST:
AA - IN (deferred last year)
Michigan - IN
UT Austin - IN
SCI-Arc - ?
MIT - ?
GSD (AP) - ?
Yale - ?

Looking forward to joining in the discussion, good luck to all!

Mar 6, 09 3:04 pm  · 
 · 
missmeer

moshe safdie? woo woo. i was currently being a total geek about him while in montreal. my bf was very sweet about helping me find a place where we could see habitat and snap a picture of me with it. ;)

Mar 6, 09 3:07 pm  · 
 · 
missmeer

hmm, perhaps "recently" rather than "currently" lol.

Mar 6, 09 3:08 pm  · 
 · 
missmeer

sturgey, great looking portfolio btw. very clean and i definitely appreciate that the graphics and diagram are informative rather than purely "cool looking." i've been looking through the 10x10 volumes recently and just find so many architectural renderings/modes of so called communication quite the opposite!

Mar 6, 09 3:11 pm  · 
 · 
sturgey

miss - that's a fine compliment! I do tend to agree, but sadly say that it takes lots of practice and i definitely still get lost in making it sexy sometimes. for me its all about feedback from people you respect, to not covet anything you create too much, and having the maturity and energy to be self-critical with a fresh pair of eyes on.

Mar 6, 09 3:41 pm  · 
 · 
jhooper

So no new acceptances today?

Mar 6, 09 5:15 pm  · 
 · 
lost in stress

The calm before the storm...

Mar 6, 09 5:49 pm  · 
 · 
lesov

yeppers..... I've been hiding my head in the sand for the past week as I had a great weekend with an old friend (a non-archi) and thought I would try use that to carry me through the week without too much obsessing.
well, it worked, but i'm now VERY aware that it is march 6...gah! I actually swore at my empty mailbox yesterday.... and noticed that I was glaring enviously at the mail I could see in other peoples boxes, ahaha.
I am still waiting on news from my one and only option... has ANYONE heard anything from UBC?
Good luck to surviving this weekend everyone... i know i will go through a few bottles of wine :) and CONGRATS to those of you who have a few acceptances under your belts!!

Mar 6, 09 6:09 pm  · 
 · 
Jola

Got a call from UWash Seattle! yay!

Mar 6, 09 6:36 pm  · 
 · 
andimdone

UT AUSTIN THEME SONG:

http://hypem.com/track/369472/Hairy+Diamond-givin+up

Mar 6, 09 6:44 pm  · 
 · 
andimdone

'scuse me. I should have said, MY ut austin theme song.

Mar 6, 09 6:55 pm  · 
 · 
alphabetical

Hi all,

I may have been the one who posted on gradcafe for UCLA. I got into the M.Arch program. Woot! You can check your status here:

https://www.gradadmissions.ucla.edu/newapp/Login.asp?topage=AdmissionStatus.asp

Although I still haven't received aid info or anything -- that's supposed to come in the mail. Also, they said that the admissions are rolling so don't freak if you haven't received a decision yet.

Still waiting on:
MIT
Harvard
UBC
Berkeley

Good luck to all!

Mar 6, 09 7:23 pm  · 
 · 
newport2009

sturgey, the site says that the bandwidth view quota has been exceeded so i can't view at this time. do you have it uploaded anywhere else?

lesov, i just opened a new bottle of red wine - cheers~ or kumbae as the saying goes in my home country!

Mar 6, 09 7:27 pm  · 
 · 
ocotillo

Letter from UW Seattle in the mail today. Love Seattle, and miss my friends there, but UT is it for me, no questions. Still waiting on Cornell, but I won't go there.

Mar 6, 09 7:42 pm  · 
 · 
birdie

davester your portfolio is really pretty!
sturgey will you please put your portfolio up somewhere else too?

Mar 6, 09 8:01 pm  · 
 · 
amnesiac

sturgey i hope you get a full ride out of that portfolio/work experience at atleast one of your top choices. very cohesive. best design build/work experience heavy portfolio i've seen.

didn't you have to put a hunk of money down for AA to defer!?

anybody know when to expect anything from Cinny?

Mar 6, 09 8:17 pm  · 
 · 

Hmmm...

Last year the GSD called people on the 13th, some got letters on the 10th, 11th.

Sheesh!

Are they really going to be making any decisions this weekend? They are probably done, no? So why not get it over with! I can't neglect my hygiene/friends for much longer.

Mar 6, 09 8:50 pm  · 
 · 
remkoolhaas

ALPHABETICAL,

DID THAT UCLA APP STATUS PAGE EVER REGISTER THAT YOUR REC LETTERS, PORTFOLIO, GRE SCORES, ETC. WERE REVIECED?

I GOT AN EMAIL FROM THE DEPT. SAYING MY APP WAS COMPLETE BUT IT NEVER REGISTERED ONLINE. JUST WONDERING IF IT WAS THE SAME CASE WITH YOUR APP.

ALSO, DID YOU SUBMIT YOU APP EARLY?

Mar 6, 09 8:55 pm  · 
 · 
alphabetical

hey rem, i received a separate email saying my app was complete but they never updated the gradadmissions site. i submitted my app on time but that was early for me because ucla's deadline was something like dec 15. way too early! haha. but yeah, i completed it around then. another thing is that i'm doing a concurrent program with urban planning so that might have factored into the weird timing...

Mar 6, 09 9:20 pm  · 
 · 
jaymo24

wow, it's been quiet this entire week... but starting this monday, chaos. haha. good luck to all of us.

Mar 6, 09 10:13 pm  · 
 · 
F2

landshark-
congrats on uw. i wonder if they're calling everyone that got in...i'm still waiting on them, and the admissions people told me to look out for a letter. but, if they're calling people who got in and i'm supposed to be looking for a letter....

octillo-
congrats on your acceptances, and selfishly, would you mind letting uw-seattle know that you're not planning on attending so they can give the open spot to me (hopefully!)

Mar 6, 09 11:06 pm  · 
 · 
Entasis79

___Gradcafe update___

RISD sent out Landscape Arch acceptances today!!!!!
MArch can't be far behind, RIGHT????!!!

Oh man....

Mar 6, 09 11:33 pm  · 
 · 
jaymo24

Cornell too, according to Gradcafe!

Mar 6, 09 11:43 pm  · 
 · 

Just saw Requiem for a Dream, was reminded of this forum.

Mar 7, 09 12:31 am  · 
 · 
F2

10-
my applications seem like those paper airplanes thrown from the rooftop now...

Mar 7, 09 12:38 am  · 
 · 

This a tough weekend for many people, just remember, there is hope beyond these plaudits.

Mar 7, 09 12:52 am  · 
 · 

looks like wash u is shooting out notification emails (says grad cafe)

Mar 7, 09 3:17 am  · 
 · 

missmeer: ugh yea i had similar issues -- it was incredibly tough finding someone who would print (and do a good job) only 10 or so copies. there were still some minor quality issues with my final product, but there is only so much you can do when you dont have full control (and are living in a different hemisphere). sighhh... wish i had my own printing press and binding machine...

hobopajamas: actually i did undergrad in the states myself (wake forest u. in NC). came here to japan on a fulbright scholarship to do some research and travel (and goof off) -- seemed a good opportunity to take a year off between the grind of undergrad + grad. it's only my second time here, studied abroad down near kyoto/osaka about 2 years or so ago for a semester. LOVE it here, but miss the structure of a concrete program with classes and studios, so i'm very much looking forward to grad schoolio.

Mar 7, 09 3:36 am  · 
 · 
Entasis79

Oh man...that is truly depressing, but you are absolutely right. How sad.
I just hope I have both my arms if I get rejected!

Mar 7, 09 10:20 am  · 
 · 
n_

I got into WashU two days ago. Via email.

Mar 7, 09 11:04 am  · 
 · 
missmeer

Received UT acceptance from GIAC-side. No word of any $ but it's my understanding most aid the SoA has is for continuing students.

Mar 7, 09 11:22 am  · 
 · 
thisisck

Princeton - ?
GSD - ?
Yale - ?
Columbia - ?

Mar 7, 09 11:55 am  · 
 · 
GiantClam

Well, I got some exciting news (finally)!

I got a phone call at 9:00am (in CA) from RISD admissions-I'm in!!! And I got a 1/2 ride scholarship for all three years (contingent upon my maintaining a 3.0 while in school). I am thrilled!!!

For all interested, here's the low down (cause I'm gonna go celebrate and wont be around to immediately answer the sorts questions we've all been frantically asking whenever there's new news):

First of all, dont panic if you dont get a call today-they said they were notifying me early because I was a top scholarship receiver. Dont think you didnt get any scholarship, either, if you didnt get the call, my impression is that they are notifying very few people by phone. I asked when my package would come in the mail, she said they are mailing things March 12th (she didnt say if that would be everything or just the first wave, though). Also, there are two open houses, one March 19th, and one April 6th (i will definitely go to one of them, probably the later).

Oh and my profile: I have an architecture background (4 yr BA of Arch from UC Berkeley), but I have no crazy special qualifications (like working for a starchitect or special honors in undergrad). I've been out of school for four years, since have worked in an architecture firm, and have a pretty strong fine arts background.

Good luck to the rest of you RISD folks, do remain calm, they definitely are not done accepting people.

Mar 7, 09 2:22 pm  · 
 · 
thisisck

congrats giantclam.

risd's got a great program...

but dont forget to take courses outside dept. of arch...

Mar 7, 09 2:32 pm  · 
 · 
binary

congrats giant.... i was going to apply to risd but......

Mar 7, 09 2:37 pm  · 
 · 
jaymo24

wow that is great news! congrats GiantClam!

Mar 7, 09 3:08 pm  · 
 · 
Entasis79

I got in to RPI today! I got a letter in the mail. Excited!

RPI: Accepted
RISD: ????
MIT: ?
GSD: ?

GiantClam, awesome!!!!! Congrats!!! I am waiting for a call from them now...

I can't wait.

Mar 7, 09 3:46 pm  · 
 · 
amnesiac

congrats GiantClam
i got a similar offer from Parsons. i was expecting to get some sort of advanced placement though. i have a 4 year BS of Arch too.

was i wrong to think that!? anybody else know if advanced placement us typical at schools with a 3 yr M.Arch I program?

Mar 7, 09 4:09 pm  · 
 · 
lost in stress

congrats GiantClam! I've heard some wonderful things about John Maeda and what he is doing at the school.

Mar 7, 09 4:23 pm  · 
 · 
101W101

Rumor has it that MArch applicants are up about 20%-30%. Good luck everyone.

Mar 7, 09 6:50 pm  · 
 · 
F2

Congrats GiantClam! Nice work with RISD! And I agree with what has been said about Maeda's reign-taking. He's up to some good things...

Mar 7, 09 9:36 pm  · 
 · 

congrats GiantClam! well done

Mar 7, 09 9:40 pm  · 
 · 
GiantClam

Thanks guys!! Yeah I agree that RISD is moving in great directions. I am about 90% sure I'm going there. Off to watch the watchmen...

Mar 7, 09 10:53 pm  · 
 · 

The spoils of victory.

Mar 7, 09 11:24 pm  · 
 · 
birdie

hooray! congrats giantclam that rocks.

Mar 7, 09 11:36 pm  · 
 · 
nickthegreek

amnesiac.....you got an offer from parsons already???congrads!i m waiting to hear from them......*stressing out

Mar 8, 09 1:29 am  · 
 · 
di-c

Giantclam I am SO jealous! Great job snagging that awesome scholarship! I am waiting to hear from RISD as well..

So you got a call from them on a Saturday? I guess that's reason for people to stay on alert even on the weekends.

For people living abroad like me...how do you think we'll be getting notified? Email then a mailed letter seems most likable, right guys? I don't think I could bear to wait for letters via snail mail to take three weeks to reach my side of the world...

Mar 8, 09 1:31 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: