Archinect
anchor

2009 M.Arch applicants, commiserate here!

newport2009

sorry to be a baby about it but i'd love to meet face to face only if i get accepted! i'd be too heartbroken to meet otherwise :(

Mar 4, 09 4:46 pm  · 
 · 
Workshop B

I went through all of this last year and decided to do it again. I have to say the second time around is alot more relaxed for me. The next week should change that though.

I applied to UCLA, UC Berkeley and GSD for MArch II. Got rejected from all of them last year. I was accepted to Pratt, but deferred my acceptance...still not sure if I'll go this year.

Good luck everyone

Mar 4, 09 5:13 pm  · 
 · 
lost in stress

Kaysc, congrats on getting you official letter. Just got home and nothing but a phone bill in my mailbox.... sigh! I know I've been accepted but its still nice to have something physical to confirm it. Quick question for Kaysc, did the package come by USPS, FedEx of UPS?

Mar 4, 09 5:55 pm  · 
 · 
missmeer

oh lost, that kills me. i want mine so badly! what state are you in?
surely if it reached florida it could reach texas.

Mar 4, 09 6:05 pm  · 
 · 
lost in stress

If it reached Florida, it shouldn't take that long to get to Chicago. However, the postal service here is known to be a bit slow, so I'm hoping that factors into it.

Mar 4, 09 6:11 pm  · 
 · 
missmeer

gah. i hope so. oh the agony. i go home in 20 minutes!

Mar 4, 09 6:12 pm  · 
 · 
F2

10-
ha!

all is can see is groups of people with furrowed foreheads in fluorescent rooms and piles of portfolios. i can see their stress, and i can see them cracking jokes to move the time along. i can see them being pleasantly surprised at my portfolio and placing it with the scant others for 'serious consideration'. i can hear the phone vibrate on its bookshelf home, showing a zip code that can mean only one thing.

Mar 4, 09 6:15 pm  · 
 · 
resplendent

missmeer

my michigan package made it all the way to NY and it was priority mailed on march 2nd.

it should be there!

Mar 4, 09 6:17 pm  · 
 · 
_juut

ut austin- accepted
tennessee- accepted
gsd- ?
sci-arc- ?
columbia- ?
penn- ?
berkeley- ?
cornell- ?

Mar 4, 09 6:31 pm  · 
 · 
F2

_juut- good idea, and so we can keep up:

uoregon -accepted
uwashington-?
gsd-?
sci-arc-?
risd-?

Mar 4, 09 6:34 pm  · 
 · 
lost in stress

M.Arch 1

UIC - Accepted
UMich - Accepted
Penn - ?
Pratt - ?

Mar 4, 09 6:39 pm  · 
 · 

what kind of packages are people getting from UMich? Anything to support the article in the Times regarding increased financial aid this year??

Mar 4, 09 6:41 pm  · 
 · 
missmeer

booo! no mail from umich. you're killing me!

and for the tally

ut-austin: accepted
umich: accepted

Mar 4, 09 7:01 pm  · 
 · 
newport2009

missmeer, awesome tally, good for you!

Mar 4, 09 7:05 pm  · 
 · 
missmeer

lol, i got lucky applying to two schools that respond on the earlier side.

and thanks!

Mar 4, 09 7:10 pm  · 
 · 
Roarkschach

ut austin - accepted
sci-arc - ?
ucla - ?
pratt - ?
parsons - ?
usc - ?

Mar 4, 09 7:10 pm  · 
 · 
missmeer

oh! and just to add insult to injury, my scheduled netflix didn't come either. boo.

Mar 4, 09 7:16 pm  · 
 · 
sourdough

haha I was hoping for the same thing missmeer. If I didn't get any mail from schools, I was hoping for some new movies.

UW-Milwaukee: accepted

So far.

Mar 4, 09 7:19 pm  · 
 · 
hobopajamas

to add to the M.Arch I tally:

u.oregon - accepted
asu - accepted

ucla - ?
sci-arc - ?
(can't believe i'm going to admit this one) cal poly pomona - ?

Mar 4, 09 8:02 pm  · 
 · 
andimdone

March 1 tally:

uwashington - accepted
ut austin - ?
parsons - ?
berkeley - ?
(can't believe I am going to admit this one!) yale - ?

Mar 4, 09 8:24 pm  · 
 · 
freezingtimbers

oh shit UT AUSTIN!!!!

Have you people been replying to this email?

Mar 4, 09 8:37 pm  · 
 · 
Roarkschach

I didn't

Mar 4, 09 8:43 pm  · 
 · 
remkoolhaas

not expecting to hear anything for at least a week or so...

sci-arc -?
ucla - ?
yale - ?

Mar 4, 09 8:45 pm  · 
 · 
Roarkschach

rem koolhaas is going back to school :O

Mar 4, 09 8:46 pm  · 
 · 
missmeer

to cleary? nope

Mar 4, 09 8:53 pm  · 
 · 
missmeer

i suppose i would if the need arose

Mar 4, 09 8:54 pm  · 
 · 
andimdone

freezingtimbers did you just get an acceptance email from Austin?

Mar 4, 09 8:57 pm  · 
 · 
newport2009

njit said that it could take up to 2 weeks for me to find out from yesterday, sigh~

Mar 4, 09 9:07 pm  · 
 · 
zdmdmz

Have you people who got in to Austin received official notification from the graduate school?

Mar 4, 09 9:24 pm  · 
 · 
Roarkschach

received 2 e-mails from the college of architecture.

waiting on final notification from the graduate and international admissions center (GIAC)

Mar 4, 09 9:46 pm  · 
 · 
freezingtimbers

I did receive an email from the graduate advisor

Mar 4, 09 9:54 pm  · 
 · 
missmeer

i got a hard copy letter saying congrats/essentially same thing as website notification + info about open house. nothing from giac... no packets yet.

Mar 4, 09 9:55 pm  · 
 · 
ocotillo

can we assume that if there is no notification on the UT site then we are rejected? so i can get on with my godforsaken life.

Mar 4, 09 10:07 pm  · 
 · 
Roarkschach

ocotillo, I wouldn't say that. It's still early.

There's a good chance they just haven't notified everyone yet

Mar 4, 09 10:14 pm  · 
 · 
Jola

YEAH UT AUSTIN! Just got the e-mail, so frikin excited.

So glad that I can go somewhere now, I was so sure that I would get rejected across the board.

Congrats to all who've been accepted! Maybe I'll see some of you in the fall!

Mar 4, 09 10:21 pm  · 
 · 
Jola

and of course I live in morbid fear that the e-mail was an accident...

Mar 4, 09 10:22 pm  · 
 · 
Roarkschach

see ocotillo, they're still notifying people, hope is not lost

Mar 4, 09 10:26 pm  · 
 · 
andimdone

hope is definitely lost. :(

Mar 4, 09 10:29 pm  · 
 · 
newport2009

woohoo! everyone's getting accepted left and right! i hope this trend continues. congrats!!!!

Mar 4, 09 10:44 pm  · 
 · 
Entasis79

Congrats to all!!! This is very exciting. I really really just want to hear from ONE of my schools. So far, I have NO info.

RPI ?
RISD ?
GSD ?
MIT ?

Mar 4, 09 10:57 pm  · 
 · 
missmeer

i think people should also remember that admissions will roll as people that were accepted inform schools they are not interested in the offer! so don't get so down yet.

Mar 4, 09 11:06 pm  · 
 · 
andimdone

thanks missmeer! :)

I just realized I was getting quite bummed and being a bit to vocal about it. Congrats everyone who got into UT Austin so far!

Mar 4, 09 11:12 pm  · 
 · 
meowkytekt

@10 - my cat just had 5 kittens. Still not sure how many cats I'll have come September (hopefully just 1), but if you still have yours and we're both attending a NYC school, I suggest we start swap cat-care so they can play together. That should alleviate your guilt. The other option you have is to adopt another cat so yours has a permanent playmate. (clearly, cat talk takes precedence over app talk in my world. or maybe i'm just apathetic since none of my schools have so much as tweeted yet).

Mar 4, 09 11:32 pm  · 
 · 
mobility

I have been following this thread for a while and thought that i would finally start commiserating. I graduated in December with a 3.2gpa and a 450v/690q GRE.

Applied to
UT
UCLA
UIC
GSAPP

I am losing all hope as two of my schools have sent out acceptances and i have heard nothing. The waiting is killing me.

Mar 4, 09 11:50 pm  · 
 · 
Entasis79

I am wondering how many of us are sick right now???

I got one of the worst colds I have ever had and I am thinking it must be the stress diminishing my immune system.

Are there any other sickies?

Mar 4, 09 11:56 pm  · 
 · 
miwrn

a note for all of you still awaiting notification from ut-austin:

i'm an m.arch student at ut in regular contact with members of the admissions committee. the first round of accepted candidates has been notified, but the process is by no means over, and there will be another round soon. i am not sure when everything will wrap up, but if you have not received a rejection letter then you have not been rejected. remain hopeful. and good luck...

Mar 5, 09 12:18 am  · 
 · 
CAD Mangler

So none of my acceptance letters so far has mentioned anything about funding at all. Forgive the naivete, but does that mean (a) no funding, or (b) they will send info about that later?

Do people generally have to decide on a school without knowing all the financial aid numbers?

And does anyone have a sense of how easy/hard it is to get some type of waiver for out-of-state tuition (perhaps by working for the department, etc.)?

Mar 5, 09 12:19 am  · 
 · 
CAD Mangler

miwrn, thanks for the reassuring words.

Mar 5, 09 12:20 am  · 
 · 
Roarkschach

CAD Mangler,

Some schools will determine whether or not you get free money based on your application alone. However, you should fill out the FAFSA form found online and specify the schools you are applying to. This will allow the schools to determine what kind of aid you are eligible.

You should be able to determine what kind of money you can get before you have to decide on a school

Mar 5, 09 12:26 am  · 
 · 

@Meow,

I would be more than happy to trade cat care but I didn't apply to any schools in New York. As a city cat I thought she would have more fun roaming the manicured yards of Princeton, or even the semi-urban alley-cat-alleys of New Haven.

Mine and her future hang in the balance of a subjective gesture, a nod of approval and a certified stamp of admittance.

I didn't want to say this but if I don't get into one of my top schools I will have to put her down, knowing she had spent the last four months staring out the window beyond gray Brooklyn to the Elysian fields of New England, her little heart thusly broken by my inadequacies.

Mar 5, 09 12:43 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: