Archinect
anchor

Archinect Travels

postal

funny, marlin, i had the opposite feeling at Taliesin in WI. I made the trip with a few coworkers a few years ago and also had the anticipation of being a kid in a candy store. However, my actual experience wasn't the same. The buildings were in poor shape, and the actual craft of FLW's work was somewhat lost. The flow and pace of the spaces seemed to be apparent, but disrupted by the tour guide or our path. I left feeling a bit disappointed, but still glad I went. All that being said, I still it's difficult to absorb a piece of architecture in a day, especially a work as detailed and intricate as a Wright. Anyway, keep up the great work. ...and perhaps you'll visit Taliesin over in WI and offer a comparison.

Jan 3, 08 8:50 am  · 
 · 
liberty bell

Aaaaah, aaaaah, aaaaahhhhhhh, so wonderful. This is totally reliving my childhood experience of the world. I have to go watch it again so I can make an informed commentary instead of my typical giddy gleeful gushing.

Jan 3, 08 9:19 am  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

Marlin, how is it possible that we could have the same feelings about very different - although perhaps not so different - spaces and architects? Remarkable. I thought/felt the same thing about Bilbao. I wonder if the thing about Taliesin is that Wright's cultivation of environment/space makes it unnecessary to explore the desert? If somehoe bringing nature into order, so that humans can experience the expanse, and at times unlivable desert, was part of Wright's design? Kind of an exposed yet contained bio-sphere?

By the way Marlin are you from New York?

Jan 3, 08 9:34 am  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

Oh, before I forget, again pure genius! I smell a future Oscar nomination or Sundance film...

Jan 3, 08 9:35 am  · 
 · 

I love Turrel!!!

The "building" the sky-spaces are in is quite a spooky sequence of shots.....

Jan 3, 08 9:45 am  · 
 · 
Marlin

:)

db: Production schedule? Nah, that would ruin all the fun and surprises. However, if I make a ballpark guess about when the episodes will finally reach St. Louis....given that we're in Phoenix...it'll likely be right before the summer. Apologies, brother. Also...it turns out my best friend still has his VCR. whouddathought?

Lib: The SMoCA is a well executed building, but in its current state by no means is it an exceptional building. And it isn't trying to be, either. It's like a symphony of subcontractors rather than a "Bruder" building, which I found compelling. Also compelling is how seamlessly any multiplex theater can be renoed into a museum. The fact that the former screening rooms are now the galleryies is palpable per the sense of proportion in the spaces. Next stop is another Bruder "Museum" up in Deer Valley ;)

Postal: I'm eager to start figuring out my notes and writing about the time spent in Wisconsin. Lloyd Jonses, Driftless Areas, Buried Indians and beauty for days. There's a corollary to a Garrison Kiellor joke I appreciate: it's impossible to seamlessly blend the interior and exterior together if you have to exchange layers of clothing when you move between them. In a humorous and admittedly over-simplistic way, this corollary is perhaps how i would sum up the difference between Taliesin and Taliesin West.

Beta: I think it's a professional hazard. We're after something else when we visit a building, sometimes ignoring the program and staring at mullions. A handful of people at TW were there to trace the events in some mystery novel set there. Out of the corner of my eye, it was clear their experience of the building was overwhelming, but for inherently different reasons. Oscar? Nah, these flicks are too esoteric and domesticated. I'd need more emotional highs and lows like Little Miss Sunshine and kooky road trip hijinks like hitchhiking in a golf cart with Frank Gehry or something.

This is fun. Thanks, y'all.

Jan 3, 08 12:50 pm  · 
 · 

Bravo Marlin!

Jan 3, 08 1:03 pm  · 
 · 
snook_dude

marlin,

If you plan on hitting up TWE in Spring Green you should take a detour down to Dubuque, Iowa and check out Alfred Caldwells
Eagle Point Park. It is less than an hour away. I don't think you will
be dissapointed once you arrive at the park. Getting there is a whole
other matter....it truley shows what is F***ed up about this Country.

If you google you will find pictures of the place.

Jan 3, 08 1:09 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

A golf cart ride with Frank Gehry - can someone please go about setting that up for Marlin ;-)

I'll agree with you on the SMOCA (I silently questioned "fantastic" above when I typed it, but then let it be), but only with the encomium that, for me, a huge amount of the strength of Bruder's work is his skill at orchestrating subcontractors. Perhaps, I'm now thinking, this is a problem for others, whereas with my personal bias towards architecture as a construction art I revel in it. I'm eager to hear your experience with more of his work.

I've been thinking about the overwhelmingness of the visit to Taliesin West and comparing it to my own archi-travels. Your phrase, Marlin, about feeling like every detail of the building required 100% of your attention is definitely part of it. Taliesin West is so brutally bold yet every bit of it is considered, there is so much to notice - not the same experience as, say, visiting a building where the architect is trying to achieve minimalism and thus you can easily tick off every failure. I think at Taliesin the weight of all those rocks suspended in concrete is crushing - one wants to touch each rock, each bit of the building reminds you of the harsh desert from which it was wrought. And in addition to the physical awesomeness of it, there is the mythology of those young Wright devotees building with their bare backs - what architect, knowing all this and in some way, as a former architecture student, subscribing to it in theory, wouldn't be overwhelmed?

But there is also a drastic difference between visiting an obscure building - one that only other architects go out of their way to see - and visiting a building with a tour group/tour guide/a bunch of tourists. I hate to admit this greediness, but when I see a building I love I want to be able to claim ownership of it - only a spiritual ownership, but I want to be able to call it "mine" in some way. It's hard to achieve this when surrounded by people we can easily dismiss as dilettantes. This is also why we architects hoard and then proudly share our personal stories of important buildings: a friend of mine using the toilet at the Glass House, my sneaking into Loos' Villa Mueller, vado's behind-the-scenes look at the Bruder Library, WonderK's pajama party at the Gamble House....

(This desire for ownership is also why I'm with Apurimac above: I want a hard copy DVD! With extras!!!! Kidding, I'm kidding, god, pleeeease don't make one, unless you're selling it to fund the next road trip. In which case I want one for me and 12 more to give as gifts.)

Um, I guess I better get back to work now....I'm too verbose today.

Jan 3, 08 1:17 pm  · 
 · 
farmer

"encomium" floored me

Jan 3, 08 1:23 pm  · 
 · 
WonderK

You know what I love about the episodes and this thread....when Marlin posts, I can hear his voice now. I almost feel like we should all send in a little video of our personal experiences with a particular space so not only can we all hear everyone's voices, we can argue about the architecture too!

...But great job on EP3. And gosh, the music is killer too. Awesome. ;o)

Jan 3, 08 1:26 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

DubK, I had exactly that thought today!!! Surely there is a place - like youtube - where we can all post sound clips of ourselves, perhaps reading excerpts from our favorite architecture treatise?!?

farmer you crack me up. I know that word because my old boss used to sue it all the time so I had to look it up.

Jan 3, 08 1:28 pm  · 
 · 
farmer

i had an old arch prof who used "extrapolate" all the time. seeped into my brain after a while.

Jan 3, 08 1:37 pm  · 
 · 
****melt

Yay!!!! Another amazing video Marlin. More props to you. The child's view at the end took my breath away. DAMN!

Jan 3, 08 6:38 pm  · 
 · 

why do I have the strong feeling that marlin's gonna be the next great movie trailer voice??

"IN A LAND BEFORE OUR TIME..." or

"ONE MAN, TRYING TO FIGHT HIS DESTINY..." or

"THE ROMANTIC COMEDY OF THE YEAR..." etc etc

thumbs up, marlin! :)

Jan 3, 08 7:50 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

marlin calm down have a smoke. the last time i was at taliesen my a.c. crapped out in my car and then i was gettin ready to take it over to my dad's mechanic and managed to catch my left front wheelwell in a skinny little column holding up the carport at their mesa apartment complex. i nearly ripped my whole fender off my car. nice vacation.

Jan 3, 08 8:01 pm  · 
 · 
Aaron Westre

Fantastic work, Marlin. I can't wait for the twin cities episode.

Jan 4, 08 12:48 pm  · 
 · 
Marlin

It's like i got all this stuff, (school blogger ) Aaron, and every day that passes puts me closer to later stories in the travelogue that I'm excited about putting together. I can't thank you enough for your hospitality, the tour of UMinn, Holl's architecture building, and being instrumental in my tour of Minneapolis with LOOM architect Ralph Nelson.

Minneapolis taught me that i should get a GPS unit that has the foreknowledge of a collapsed bridge before it constantly orders me to cross it. It also taught me that my reasons for generally disregarding Holl and Nouvel were tragically superficial.

Jan 5, 08 5:44 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

you know that voice over of philip johnson sounded like it could have been robin williams!

Jan 5, 08 7:48 pm  · 
 · 

Episode 4 now up - Scottsdale to Sedona
Watch!

Jan 11, 08 11:59 am  · 
 · 
liberty bell

The Golden Rule really is all we ever need, in any situation, right? I think so.

IMO, as a non-shaman: There is no need to be concerned that you are reducing the actual places/cultures you see to a story. You're presenting to us your story of having seen these places and events, but you're not trying to convince us that this is the story.

I'm reminded again of the term thick description which was introduced to me by Kent Kleinman and Leslie Van Duzer at UMich. My (very sloppy) interpretation of their use of the term was that by layering more poetical, fantastical, even personal description onto a more scientific ("thin") analysis, you end up with a more useful and nuanced understanding of the building.

Pesonally, I'm somewhat relieved to see the trip leaving Arizona, as I'm getting heartsick every time I watch. That long shot of the clouds casting their shadows on the mountains - from seemingly so high up! (I don't think the sky in the Midwest is ever that big) - was beautiful.

Jan 12, 08 9:58 pm  · 
 · 
Marlin

Indeed, Lib. Perhaps in this case, the building is a poetical, fantastical, even personal layer of analysis on a "thin" analysis of native america. The diagram for the Deer Valley Rock Art Center's approach and handling of its subject ultimately demonstrates a way for me to treat the same material in my films: no walls, no boundaries, no harmony, no vantage point. Purely a part of. This is being overly simplistic about a much richer idea, and i'm sure it will reveal itself as the episodes proceed.

Our understanding of a building sometimes shouldn't be separated from the context that created it. In the case of native architecture, part of the context is a wholly different understanding, indeed concept, of light, space and time: the firmament of architecture. I respect the fact that it's a mighty bridge to cross between my scientific analysis and their concept of the universe. This bridge becomes the crux of the story behind Michael Rotondi and his winter solstice building on the Sinte Gleska campus in the Rosebud Reservation, South Dakota.

Kent Kleinman was my first year instructor. I owe the core of my education to his exceptional doctrine, though not so much to the bright yellow sportscoat he wore everyday. Pair him with the mid-nineties decon preachings of Cornell's John Zissovicci and it's not difficult to understand why SCIArc seemed like a good place to continue my education.

We have one more brief stop in Arizona before heading out to Colorado. In fact, the second stop in Colorado is an unlikely hotel reminiscent of those same mid-nineties hybrid, fusion, cross pollination program projects we received in undergrad studios. It's almost an absurdist Lewis, Tsurumaki, Lewis project, except it was built in the fifties...

Jan 13, 08 3:21 pm  · 
 · 

you're describing a path which just happens to move past places. description of your experience along the path doesn't lessen the places in any way.

i'm not sure i agree that you become a part of these places like the deer valley rock art center does, though it's also just passing through, i suppose...

finally got to watch 3 & 4. good stuff. curious whether your presentation/attitude will natuarally change/evolve as the territory changes when you leave the desert.

Jan 14, 08 7:35 am  · 
 · 
vado retro

chaco canyon was the precolumbian equivalent of a toll road reststop. acoma's sky city is a defensive fortification built to protect the pueblo from invaders like the navajo. history is about displacement and cultures stratify atop one another. marlin your voiceover's are starting to remind of a cross between john ridley and philip marlowe.

Jan 14, 08 7:59 am  · 
 · 
Marlin

Sorry for the misunderstanding per a vague description of me MO. Becoming a part of is not what i meant. The "of"ness is about how to tell a story. This is a vague response, but to clarify, my post above isn't refencing me or my ability to become a part of or anything like that...I should just stop commenting. It's like chatting with the author between chapters.

Perhaps, Vado. That they are granaries with a religious component doesn't detract from their architectural expression. You also may have answered Steven's question about evolving stories: Pueblo, presidio, frontier fort, misawa airbase. Architecture in the west.

Jan 14, 08 11:00 am  · 
 · 
liberty bell

Marlin, I for one enjoy being able to chat with you "between chapters" but if it is at all causing conflict with your intents for the project then stop doing it, I know everyone here will understand.

And we'll all just keep yammering away amongst ourselves anyway!

Steven, I tend to think of all the work I do as "just passing through" in the world. I learned this attitude from my former boss, professor Tony Atkin, and I actually think it's a lovely world-view. Not to imply that passing through means not caring about the future of a place, it's just the opposite - it's a continuum, and what we do needs to be responsible to both the past and the future.

And now I have to kick some cabinet-maker butt.

Jan 14, 08 1:17 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro
Jan 14, 08 3:59 pm  · 
 · 

usually when this gets bumped to the top, a new episode appears soon after. i'm just tryin' it. ; )

Jan 18, 08 7:28 am  · 
 · 

gee is it that time already? I am curious as to the editing times Marlin...are you still on the journey. That much I am unclear of. Granted I haven't read all of this thread (too long for a friday)

Jan 18, 08 7:59 am  · 
 · 
Marlin

:)

I feel like i should say something like, "We're always on the journey, Philia."

Yep, new episode should be up today. Enjoy it over Saturday morning coffee or during the useless final hour of a Friday in the office.

Jan 18, 08 2:34 pm  · 
 · 
Episode 5, Sedona, AZ to Mesa Verde, CO

, was thrown up late last night from my temporary office in Lima.

This one is relatively short, but very sweet. Love the use of stock footage in the intro... very well edited... and the score is developing into something amazing. Marlin, are you still creating the mood music too?

Architecture featured includes ancient rock habitats and a high tech tent.

Jan 19, 08 5:58 pm  · 
 · 
db

absolutely hilarious-wonderful

stock footage. metaphysical musings. itty bitty tent. great soundtrack.

Marlin (again) you rock.

Jan 19, 08 7:00 pm  · 
 · 

i bought murray's revenge yesterday, inspired by this series.

Jan 21, 08 7:52 am  · 
 · 
dlb

isn't it great that way we say "the red rock formations that "thrust up" from the canyon floor..." (much the same way we say "the sun rises in the east...") when in fact the walls are formed by erosion and a carving away.

forward action and external production being more suggestive than decay and dislocation.

Jan 21, 08 12:12 pm  · 
 · 

were they created/formed by erosion, dlb? probably it's a little of both your answer and marlin's. FIRST they had to thrust up through some sort of shift in the plates that make up the earth's crust and THEN their forms were refined via erosion.

Jan 21, 08 12:17 pm  · 
 · 
Arzo

time to change the music. and liven up the monotone voice.

Jan 22, 08 3:48 pm  · 
 · 

So #6, was best episode yet.

Amazing..My roundup of best moments.

Architecture of spectacle, Scott Bakula reference, and the linking of historic and modern climate change to the image of modern appropriation/re-inhabitance of the abandoned pueblo sites...

Jan 31, 08 10:47 pm  · 
 · 
aml

bump?

Feb 15, 08 4:09 pm  · 
 · 
Marlin

apologies, aml. A lil touch of the flu. In the meantime, I put the sheen on the brass tax in episode 7 episode for you.

It's worth noting, i wish i could visit Denver now, since Adajaye's museum is practically completed. Episode 7

Feb 21, 08 2:14 pm  · 
 · 
aml

yay! going to watch right now...

Feb 21, 08 2:22 pm  · 
 · 

Hurrah! A new episode

Feb 21, 08 2:24 pm  · 
 · 
Archinect

Wow, polished indeed! Brilliant actually.
Well worth the wait.

Feb 21, 08 3:47 pm  · 
 · 
snook_dude

I did catch a shorty of the Predock Museum in Laramie Wyoming at the tail end of the Video....we going to see more? I visited it about
ten years ago when it first opened, interested in your thoughts?

Feb 21, 08 3:51 pm  · 
 · 
aml

good job, Marlin! enjoyed the episode but generally am enjoying more the lesser known buildings you are finding along the way.

what was up with those museum apartments? looked the asteroid/museum crashed and spattered some mess onto them? weird.

Feb 21, 08 5:33 pm  · 
 · 
****melt

Excellent episode. Loved hearing your views on Liebeskind's designs.

Feb 21, 08 6:07 pm  · 
 · 
NoSleep

Amazingly introspective. Plus, the comment "...there's hope for the rest of us..." was a classic!

Feb 21, 08 6:20 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

i like drive ins too!

Feb 21, 08 6:22 pm  · 
 · 
aml

[by which i meant, enjoying the architecture, but the episodes are all excellent]

...also enjoyed your views on libeskind, and particularly how you closed it at the end:

"to tell you the truth, this building is a lot more important than my opinion of it, and opinions on architecture generally aren't even opinions on the architecture anyways, but rather just another form of feedback, and feedback is feedback, saying more about the sender than the recepient. and finding out what's important to the sender is a much more compelling story than their bullshit feedback on a building."

nice!

Feb 21, 08 6:41 pm  · 
 · 
Marlin

(brass tacks...)

snook: Predock's American Heritage Center was a case study in the kinds of conversations drummed up with building employees when you hang around for hours with a video camera. While likely not Predock's fault - skylights leak, whatchagonnado? - it is disheartening to hear that the university decided the best place for their building maintenance facities trailers is behind Predock's building because they have to attend to repairs on it so often. The contrast to this fact is how much the chamber of commerce emphasizes the building in the Larramie literature, as well as stresses to out-of-towners that they pay it a visit.

vado: Nacho Libre or Click. Decisions, decisions.

aml: certainly my favorite buildings on the road were lesser known buildings and buildings i otherwise never knew about but visited because it was some local architect's recommendation. The element of surprise plays a factor in this, but so did my level of expectations. A few times the best buildings were the most underwhelming, simply because i already knew they going to be "the best", and for good reason. But most of all, the lesser known buildings i chose to film end up representing more personal architectural values. Perhaps everyone should sojourn to Taliesin, but a waste treatment facility became one of the trip's highlights, and i speculate it's because of personal reasons as opposed to a building that's understood as part of the canon. I'll be interested in seeing what you think after seeing the waste treatment facility in the next episode.

nam: yep, i think ep 6 is one of my favorites. Glad you're enjoying them. 'Preciate it, tuna and nosleep.

If ya haven't already, visit the Mediascapes feature and check out the student work. Schoolblogger dot's flick is kinda hot.

I'm also curious: does everyone watch the vids in the browser window, or does anyone watch them on an ipod?

Feb 22, 08 12:34 pm  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

i concur on the aml quote. genius. i was laughing hysterically at some of what you said Marlin, thanks for that. i too found Danny's early works the reading, writing machine to be so damn good, and complex - still hard for me to wrap my head around - i wonder what happened to that guy. hell when i met him in NJ i only went to see him so i could get him to sign my "Unfolding" box set of the boiler house extension, just in case i could sell it and get some bling...but i too have a tough time getting him now, perhaps penis envy got the best of him, that or his wife is hot for Gehry...

Marlin thanks again, now come out to MPLS so we can have beer or some coffee.

Feb 22, 08 1:29 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: