Archinect
anchor

Archinect Travels

Marlin

thanks again, glad yous all enjoyed and sorry for the delay. no excuse: economy in the turd can, a laptop on the brink of its own demise, and a 1920s bungalow with a fresh new kitchen. Next up is jackhammering up the previous owner's penchant for poorly finished concrete.

Oct 19, 08 4:21 pm  · 
 · 
Marlin
Oct 19, 08 4:22 pm  · 
 · 
snook_dude

I think that should be Hot Springs to Alliance Nebraska....smirk!

Oct 19, 08 7:56 pm  · 
 · 
Marlin

...P.S.

Archinect Travels is now located in a handy index bar on the Features Mainpage. Keep on a'watchin', and keep on a'enjoyin'!

Thanks, Vado. I'll take a nod to being a Kerouac, though for some reason i'm even more flattered by the Kuralt comparison. (LA Times writer and Kuralt pal Charles Hillinger is a big influence on me.)

Indeed, Nam. I think they get better by the episode.

Philia: I'm a microbrew afficionado, and shaking a beer is never a good idea, though stirring it in a glass helps bring up the aroma, especially unfiltered wheat beers.

Snook: yep, Nebraska was only a roadside stop, whereas South Dakota was an Odyssey.

PS: vado, if you're ever back in Albuquerque, New Mexico, stop by the Marble Brewery...their flagship IPA is worth writing momma about.

as always, thanks everyone, especially Liberty Bell!

Oct 24, 08 6:42 pm  · 
 · 
snook_dude

Marlin, I camped in the badlands for two weeks when I was a senior in highshool with a group of other classmates and teachers. One of my favorite spots was deep in the lands where there were sundance poles on a high plain where we were told Sitting Bull hide with his people when they went off reservation. The goverment soldiers thought they had them cornered, but in the middle of the night they climbed down the sleep bare slopes and headed for Canada...so to this day there are Sioux living up North.

A good lady friend of mine was an administrator at the school you visited. She was there for a number of years before she wandered off to get her phd..and then moved onto Montana to be a Dental Floss .....well that is stretching the story but she did move on to Montana to another teaching position.

As a kid I remember making trips to Hot Springs to the heated pool. I don't know if it even exist.

Another friend got his start with the National Main Street Program in Hot Springs...he end his career with the Park Service over seeing landmark hotels.

Did you go to Crazy Horse Monument?

Oct 24, 08 7:35 pm  · 
 · 
aquapura

**bump**

Do we get another installment before Christmas?

Dec 1, 08 2:16 pm  · 
 · 
Marlin

...That is the plan, aqua. Glad to know you're still watching, still eager to see more. This one's a goodie, and the final episode in chapter three, so i've been making sure it caps off Act One (chapters 1-3, each chapter being four episodes) with a good bang.

Thanks again!

Dec 2, 08 12:42 pm  · 
 · 
aquapura

Have been anxiously waiting for over 3 months now.

Jan 19, 09 1:59 pm  · 
 · 
Marlin

(blame it on two jobs...sorry. Workin' on it.)

Jan 21, 09 12:06 pm  · 
 · 
snook_dude

Marlin,

I keep thinking I'm hearing your voice on National TV! You sure you haven't broken in to the NetWork.

Jan 21, 09 12:32 pm  · 
 · 
Marlin

***bump***

Episode 12

thanks everyone, hope you enjoy.

Mar 20, 10 12:05 pm  · 
 · 

hey marlin, i commented on the other archinect travels??? thread but realized this was the original one..

beautifully done. the whole series is a gem. the last episode was worth the wait.

Mar 20, 10 1:09 pm  · 
 · 
snook_dude

Marvin,

My hat is off to you, as I wear one alot because I'm folic challanged!
Nice series, and in a way for me very nice because I can personally associate with many of the places you filmed as I have been physically there and I have association with people who have been involved in the projects you have visited. I guess I need to get my arshe back out to the high plains.

Mar 20, 10 6:21 pm  · 
 · 
Marlin

@snook, glad you liked it! If i remember correctly, South Dakota is home for you, and I'm happy you enjoyed seeing it in the film. Personally, though quite impoverished once you drive out on the back roads, the people of South Dakota were all very accommodating and incredibly polite. Can't wait to get back there!

@orhan, thank you, brother. And you were right, Michael is quite the talker. I wish there was room to post all the great small conversation bits and outtakes because the interview is full of them. DVD extra features!

Mar 22, 10 11:11 am  · 
 · 
aquapura

Excellent. Worth the wait. Just hoping that the next one doesn't take a full year of waiting.

Mar 22, 10 1:14 pm  · 
 · 
****melt

WOW!!! Great episode Marlin. Well worth the wait indeed. Your final comments/observations about architecture are so true.

Thanks so much.

Mar 26, 10 3:50 pm  · 
 · 
Marlin
Episode 13 y'all!

As an aside, of all the places i visited on this trip, damn skippy if i didnt believe in earnest that one day i will move to and make Minneapolis my home. Then again, i saw it in the peak of fall, and not the dead of winter.

Enjoy everyone!

Jul 22, 10 6:12 pm  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

marlin, no commentary in this one, why is that? glad you made it here.

Jul 22, 10 11:07 pm  · 
 · 

Halfway through and my dog keeps barking. Hmmmmm.

Jul 23, 10 10:21 am  · 
 · 

I miss your voice, Marlin, as well as your personal comments! Though it is nice to hear the experienced view of a local architect, certainly.

The dog didn't like that one - she went into protection mode and barked the whole way through.

Jul 23, 10 10:31 am  · 
 · 

Also, looking over this thread - I never once commented on how nice your kitchen turned out? It's lovely - serene.

Jul 23, 10 10:36 am  · 
 · 
aquapura

Enjoyed the new format, but would like your commentary, especially given that you're showing a couple buildings that I've personally experienced.

Jul 23, 10 11:33 am  · 
 · 

Marlin, great episode.

Couple of points/questions. Was the choice re: leaving out your usual commentary a work-flow (time) issue or was it because you wanted to let the local experts speak or the architecture to speak for itself? The LOOM folks weren't the local architects on the Guthrie project by chance, it seemed as if they had good access to the building and knowledge. Or was it just a slow day at the Guthrie?

Also, regarding the Guthrie being the only theater (in the last few decades) to have such a connection between the front and back of house, although it opened after your travels what about the REX Dallas project. That connection between front and back seemed to be one of the driving logics to that building. Although, I haven't seen it in person yet.

Also, I was glad to hear that you kept the (what i consider) the theme song to this series, that duh duh, duh duh. I have always liked it. Sort of ominous and contemplative, like a noir film almost. I might have asked before but is that something you made or sampled?

Jul 23, 10 12:21 pm  · 
 · 
Marlin

@beta: before i left on the road trip, i conversed with a bouncer at a local bar about Minneapolis. He's from Minneapolis, living the LA dream of a struggling model with a bouncing gig. He says to me, "the women in Minneapolis are beautiful, better looking than the women in LA." To which i kindly replied, "blasphemy!" Nope, he was right. lots of Naomi Campbell/Jennifer Garners and John Mayer/Taye Diggs in that there city of yours. Tasty, tasty.

Ralph Nelson and Dan Clark are professors at U of M, and Nelson is a first year instructor. As a result, he's capable of explaining the very core values of architecture, like 'context'. Thus, since i was being placed under the guidance of knowledgeable instructors, I wondered if it was possible for the bridge between narrator and viewer to casually meld together, thereby allowing the narrator to listen and be taught, rather than explain. Granted the voice over plays a preeminent role in the films, but i guess i never thought i would receive such a strong reaction from its absence. Kinda flattering. Episode 14 will also have no voice over. Consistency and adherence to the ground rules i set for the larger narrative, i suppose.

@donna: i'll email you a photo of the finished kitchen, complete with the counter-height center island dining room table i built as a present to my love. The butcher block notwithstanding, it was a personal lesson in a no-money kitchen. Dogs barking at my flicks? Cool! It's like a screening at a Magic Johnson theater!

Jul 23, 10 1:03 pm  · 
 · 
Marlin

@aqua: my commentary would be the following: 1. You're on camera, dumbass, don't chew gum. 2. Next time, buy tickets to "A Prairie Home Companion" in advance. 3. Don't judge a book by its cover: my commentary tries to be self reflective, i.e. if i built that thing, what would be different? In the case of Nouvel, Holl, and H&DM (and often times Morphosis) I just wanna tear off the bits and doo-dads and details, dowel the screw holes and reduce the material palette. Generally this is a reaction to photos only. I was prepared to hate the Guthrie, presuming it to be a clunky mess of form. Nope, its a wonderful building, and Nelson pretty much spells it all out and i agree with him, including agreeing with his indictment of the Walker, which is a parking garage with a magical skin, a book with a great cover and not much else. (H&DM cannot be faulted. Rare are the architects who make one aspect of architecture their single committed experiment, which in their case is obviously the skin. Such bodies of work make the rest of our work better.) 4. Al's breakfast only takes cash for their eggs benedict and the U of M parking meters only accept quarters.

@Nam: The Guthrie is open to the public, anyone can walk in and film inside during normal hours. The two other theaters, however, are not open. REX's theater in Dallas has no connection between the front and back of the house. Instead, they are one. Gangster.

I write most of the score, though, as scores go, each piece of music is a variation on a theme, variations of that xylophone melody I'm glad you enjoy. more consistency, i suppose, and an attempt to avoid any rights-and-clearances issues in the future. The rule is, every new person i encounter adds an instrument to the score, (Rotondi introduced percussion) the hope being that by the end of the series the score becomes orchestral. We'll see if that works out. I hate to disappoint, but like losing the voice over for the Minneapolis episodes, The Wisconsin episodes will have no score. FLW needs no music.

no voice over: see @aqua above.

as always, Donna's dog notwithstanding, glad everyone still enjoys these movies. The focused energy it takes to edit the footage together is a remarkable way to understand and become intimate with a building. I recommend it. It's like sketching thru time and space.

Jul 23, 10 1:36 pm  · 
 · 
aquapura

I too agree with Nelson about the Guthrie. Of all the most recent high profile works of architecture I've visited, it probably works better than all others.

Feel free not to comment if this is coming up in the next installment, but did you visit the Minneapolis Central Library?

Al's Breakfast, now that's an interesting place.

Jul 23, 10 1:53 pm  · 
 · 
Marlin

@aqua: visited, but did not film it. Always good to spend a day in any new city ferreting out local authors, local history, folklore, etc. I arrived at the building with only those motives and no expectations of architecture, and was pleasantly surprised. Quaint atrium. Do you live in Minneapolis?

Jul 23, 10 7:33 pm  · 
 · 
Johnsenl

I just watched your first Minneapolis installment and I wanted to thank you for doing such a wonderful job!
I visited Minneapolis this spring for a U of M college visit, and absolutely LOVED it, so I'm really looking forward to the next segment on campus!

Jul 24, 10 10:43 pm  · 
 · 
Marlin

@johnsenl: Thank you! Always a pleasure to hear about a new viewer, and i hope the rest of the series does not disappoint. I suspect a quick turnaround on part two of Minneapolis, so stay tuned, and im happy to hear you enjoyed what you watched!

Jul 25, 10 5:32 pm  · 
 · 

bump....

Apr 16, 13 6:06 pm  · 
 · 

Where oh where is our Marlin…..

Apr 16, 13 8:25 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: