Archinect
anchor

help for my thesis

afsha

i have chosen marine architecture as my thesis topic but i am not sure as to what to design with it that is,whether a commercial space or some recreational space.can some one give me any links to my idea .i want it to be a futuristic project.

thanks!!!!!!!

Oct 1, 07 2:02 pm
dml955i

Better put your flame suit on newbie!

Welcome to archinect!

Oct 1, 07 2:03 pm  · 
 · 
ether

how does one go about designing houses/retail space for aquatic life?

Oct 1, 07 2:26 pm  · 
 · 
med.

You can have a lot of fun with something like this.

Just design something like a, Naval weapons station, a Naval Aviation base that would be permanently based on an ocean somewhere, a missile base, a naval research station, or something like an underwater Naval base (how sweet would that be?).

Use materials like steel, perforated metal, sand blasted aluminum and zinc panels, glass, and concrete. Maybe play around with the form and use a multiperspectivile (i know I spelled this wrong) approach.

It could be a lot of fun.

Oct 1, 07 2:28 pm  · 
 · 
ether

perforated metal works awesome under water.

Oct 1, 07 2:45 pm  · 
 · 
drums please, Fab?
Oct 1, 07 2:53 pm  · 
 · 

this is great "can some one give me any links to my idea" - and you don't know what your frigg'n idea is.
good luck mate.

Oct 1, 07 2:54 pm  · 
 · 
Workshop B

marine architecture isnt a thesis...its a type of architecture. Whats your thesis? Then you can come up with a solution that may involve marine architecture.

Oct 1, 07 2:54 pm  · 
 · 
med.

yeah you kinda have to have an idea first -- and not just what the project will be.

the perforated metal would be above the water, btw. I was talking overall materiality.

Oct 1, 07 2:56 pm  · 
 · 
smallpotatoes

wow. I'm sorry to do this to you but you've broken my cardinal rule about thesis topics. Please do the following before coming back here:

1. Develop critical position regarding your chosen area

2. Develop questions that can be pursued via architectural research.

Don't even think about the "thing", the "futuristic design" until you can comprise an intelligent argument for doing so. You might get more postive archinect responses if you post the above information first.

Oct 1, 07 2:57 pm  · 
 · 
ether
the·sis

1. a proposition stated or put forward for consideration, esp. one to be discussed and proved or to be maintained against objections: He vigorously defended his thesis on the causes of war.

2. a subject for a composition or essay.

3. a dissertation on a particular subject in which one has done original research, as one presented by a candidate for a diploma or degree.

4. Music. the downward stroke in conducting; downbeat. Compare arsis (def. 1).

5. Prosody.

a. a part of a metrical foot that does not bear the ictus or stress.

b. (less commonly) the part of a metrical foot that bears the ictus. Compare arsis (def. 2).

6. Philosophy. See under Hegelian dialectic.

—Synonyms 1. theory, contention, proposal.

++

see also assertion. can I ask what university is this thesis proposal for?

Oct 1, 07 3:22 pm  · 
 · 
med.

Who are you to have "your" cardinal rule?

Aside from that, I actually agree with the criticism.

Oct 1, 07 3:23 pm  · 
 · 

yep. what they said.

Oct 1, 07 3:24 pm  · 
 · 

oh, and i respect the desire for something to be "futuristic" about as much as i respect faux colonial builder houses. design for now and make it something that someone may want to keep.

Oct 1, 07 3:26 pm  · 
 · 
Workshop B

Thats what i said...guess bullet points and a dictionary definition are more effective. Just glad other people out there see the correct way a thesis should be developed.

Oct 1, 07 3:27 pm  · 
 · 
Carl Douglas (agfa8x)

Why did you pick marine architecture? It seems odd to pick a topic that you don't have any ideas about.

Oct 1, 07 3:42 pm  · 
 · 
won and done williams

i like the futuristic part. run with it.

Oct 1, 07 3:49 pm  · 
 · 
el jeffe

and we hear chose marine architecture, why is that?

Oct 1, 07 3:50 pm  · 
 · 

actually - what the hell is marine architecture?

Oct 1, 07 3:54 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro
Oct 1, 07 3:55 pm  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

argh. now i know why grad school is not for me, i am not interested in futuristic ventures, fcuk!

Oct 1, 07 4:04 pm  · 
 · 
el jeffe
Oct 1, 07 4:05 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

thats funny i was gonna take my bro to buca di beppo's tomorrow when he's in town.

Oct 1, 07 4:13 pm  · 
 · 
ether

buco de pepo?

Oct 1, 07 4:13 pm  · 
 · 
el jeffe

was?

Oct 1, 07 4:14 pm  · 
 · 
med.

When SOME of you guys get out of asshole mode, you may want to explain to this individual why using the word 'futuristic' isn't a good idea.

I think it is better to encourage the person as best as possible. I agree that going onto archinect with a half-baked post isn't the best way to go about it, but hey, everyone does things differently. There is also an issue of punctuality. I mean it's October. By this time, people should definitely have some idea of what direction they want to take in their theses.

Oct 1, 07 4:24 pm  · 
 · 
ether

i turned in my thesis last may and i haven't the foggiest notion of what idea and direction it took.

Oct 1, 07 4:27 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

yes i was gonna take him. that's sort of english.

hey archmed i just did. if you knew anything about the image i posted it is from "Fantastic Voyage" a film based on an Isaac Asimov book which deals with nanotechnology. Of course, I cannot possibly explain every little detail to people, so I only give a hint; that hint being the posted image. Not only is nanotechnology futuristic it employs marine architecture. Back to asshole mode.

Oct 1, 07 4:30 pm  · 
 · 
won and done williams

ether, i don't know either, but it was damn futuristic and pretty sweet imho.

Oct 1, 07 4:31 pm  · 
 · 
Arzo

you little folks are all so detail oriented and unhelpful.

Oct 1, 07 4:48 pm  · 
 · 
med.

I was trying to encourage the kid. I mean something like that could be very exciting. For my thesis I designed a medical research center and it ended up looking very futuristic but I didn't use any of those words.

I remember some hippie kid in my studio said "psychedelic" and he got ripped.

Oct 1, 07 4:51 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

i dropped quite a bit of acid in architecture school.

Oct 1, 07 4:52 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

i wish i had some right now.

Oct 1, 07 4:52 pm  · 
 · 
med.

The said thing is that he wasn't even trippin'.

He was one of the non-pot smoking, non-acid dropping self-righteous kind of hippies.

Oct 1, 07 4:56 pm  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

i am beyond helping anyone in forming their thesis, there is a reason why you pay 50k a year for your harr vaard edumacation. yer supposed to have a klue, i clearly don't, futuristicality-speakingly...like.

my only suggestion would be to use like at the end of your sentences and tell everyone you are Sufjan Stevens...

Oct 1, 07 8:54 pm  · 
 · 
italyisme

i disagree with the premise that you need a thesis before you do research. picking a broad topic like marine architecture and refining it down to a polemic through rigorous research is a strategy that works well. this is the strategy i employed while working to finish my master's thesis.

just start reading....and reading.....and reading. then do some site visits.

then think about what your question or argument might be.

good luck.

Oct 2, 07 10:20 am  · 
 · 
strlt_typ

i suggest researching "aquacolumn"

Oct 2, 07 1:53 pm  · 
 · 
strlt_typ
where's that thread, btw?
Oct 2, 07 1:54 pm  · 
 · 
cf

There's an new edition out of the International Marine Building Code. New, exciting standards in this field are being made exponentially each year. LEED will have their own standards available by years end.
This is a bright and promising field for the standardizer. The AIA and the MIA are in merger talks. FMIAs will be recognized as equal Fellows in the AIA. The point required thousands of hours of negotiations, multiple law suits, and the death of one New York mime.
Please join hands and sing a round of Blow the Man Down in honor of our new colleagues.
Hail all you who are MIA and all you nice Fellows!

Oct 2, 07 2:18 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: