Archinect
anchor

morphosis

thexm

am wondering about working at the morphosis (I like to work there after finishing my march program). any ideas about the work environment there? i assume it's another star architect's office where people work like their ass off and make less money. but I hope it is worthy it. Please share any ideas about their work environment with me. Thanks.

Sep 30, 07 5:08 pm
rfuller

Here's a quick interview Orhan did with Mayne.

http://archinect.com/features/article.php?id=61129_0_23_0_M

Sep 30, 07 7:35 pm  · 
 · 
grid

use the search function as well. there has been discussion of programs used, hours put in, etc.

Sep 30, 07 8:33 pm  · 
 · 
holz.box

just don't mispronoucne it or thom will b*tchslap you silly like he did bob stern.

Sep 30, 07 9:15 pm  · 
 · 
holz.box

mispronounce

Sep 30, 07 9:16 pm  · 
 · 
thexm

thx for the reponses . I actually used the search but I couldn't find postings about the office itself. I know there are some postings about Thom Mayne or projects. but I like to know more about the office and work environments.

Sep 30, 07 9:30 pm  · 
 · 
grid

search again - i know there is a thread which should be titled in relation to programs starchitects use which discusses what you are looking for.

Sep 30, 07 9:42 pm  · 
 · 
n_

Holz, I want info about this bitchslap to Mr. Bobbie A.M. Stern. When? Where? How did i miss this? Why do I think this is hilarous? Please spill the beans.

Sep 30, 07 10:31 pm  · 
 · 
Liebchen

Maybe theses?

http://www.archinect.com/forum/threads.php?id=58693_0_42_0_C

There's some discussion of Morphosis's work practices...I'm sure their are other mentions in the Morphosis discussions. Not so hard to throw the guy a bone, is it Grid?

Sep 30, 07 10:42 pm  · 
 · 
myriam

The search function doesn't search the comments, so if it isn't in the original post it doesn't show up, as Archinect recently informed me. They recommend to search via google but limit the search to the archinect.com domain, which should hopefully return the result you're looking for.

Sep 30, 07 10:47 pm  · 
 · 
holz.box

i saw mayne lecture several years back.

bob seemed kinda out of it, and introduced the firm as morphosis instead of morphosis.

thom got on stage and kinda did his best to correct him and make some comment about that happening all the time.

after the lecture, they had a good laugh, thom feigned smacking the lucky f*ck that gets to design bush's library, hopefully with no doors, as there is "no exit strategy"

Sep 30, 07 10:50 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

hey if you dont want yer name mispronounced don't have some goofy ass name that people have to guess at.

Sep 30, 07 11:08 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

and if u look at the dictionary it is pronounced morPHOSis.

Sep 30, 07 11:10 pm  · 
 · 
grid

myriam > I was not aware of that - good to know.

Liebchen > I throw lots of bones. Maybe you'll get one sometime.

thexm > best of luck with your search and employment - if I come across the threads I am thinking about I will let you know.

Sep 30, 07 11:11 pm  · 
 · 
med.

That is asuming that you would actually get an offer from Morphosis. I would imagine that this office is so coveted that they see many applications and consequently they have the luxury to pick and choose who to hire.

Sep 30, 07 11:39 pm  · 
 · 
holz.box

pick and choose?
we use the pick and roll

[img/http://www.coachesclipboard.net/images/4LoBlackRight.GIF[/img]

Oct 1, 07 12:05 am  · 
 · 
holz.box
Oct 1, 07 12:05 am  · 
 · 
mdler

tom vs thom

Oct 1, 07 12:36 am  · 
 · 
Katze

potato vs potatoe

Oct 1, 07 12:53 am  · 
 · 
rza

david vs goliath

err...

Oct 1, 07 1:11 am  · 
 · 
med.

hmph...

As expected this thread turned out pretty lame.

Oct 1, 07 8:55 am  · 
 · 

so is it more-foe-sis

or

morf-o-sis ?

Oct 1, 07 9:11 am  · 
 · 
vado retro

well what do u expect archmed. unless someone has worked or works for morPhosis, and is willing to kiss and tell, then one can't really give any useful information, can one? no, one cannot. unless one is curious about the proper pronunciation of morPHOSis.

Oct 1, 07 9:56 am  · 
 · 
Liebchen

In theatre, I worked on a production of Mary Zimmerman's Metamorphoses, a modern retelling of the Roman classic by Ovid, set in and around a swimming pool. But I'm thinking that isn't relevant to this thread, Vado.

Oct 1, 07 10:15 am  · 
 · 

now call me a little bit cynical but it makes me smile when someone posts - "hey i am thinking of working at OMA, gehry, morphosis, whats it like?"
they make it sound as though the decision is up to them. maybe post the question after at least getting an interview lined up.

Oct 1, 07 10:22 am  · 
 · 
med.

p2an, exactly.

That's why I questioned the title of this thread. It's as if the person is suggesting that Thom Mayne is sitting around tapping his thumbs and waiting for him or her to apply.

It doesn't work like that. And it usually never does.

Oct 1, 07 11:01 am  · 
 · 
Chase Dammtor

it's MORphosis? everyone i know says morPHOsis. and i'm in the architectural elite.

Oct 1, 07 2:42 pm  · 
 · 
grid

but is it really that hard to get a job at any of those places?

Oct 1, 07 3:11 pm  · 
 · 
dml955i

it must be pretty hard because I got rejected from all of them, and I'm in the architectural elite!!!

Oct 1, 07 3:12 pm  · 
 · 
Chase Dammtor

maybe they don't want the elite. they're afraid of us shaking up their ideals and values. they want people who will do what they want and will agree with them.

Oct 1, 07 3:40 pm  · 
 · 
Apurimac

grid, folks like thom and gehry get approx. 89043891403147581648731e22 apps a day from students who want to work at their offices. So yes, it can be that hard to get a job there. They also usually have epic turnover rates, and therefore all you really probably have to do is harass them for a job constantly until they get tired of hearing from you after about a year when they've bled dry another intern.

Oct 1, 07 10:29 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

yes but its the finest coal from the coal mine!

Oct 1, 07 10:49 pm  · 
 · 
Apurimac

Working for a Starchitect
Oct 1, 07 11:07 pm  · 
 · 
5 o'clock in the morning, I'm already up and gone ...
Oct 1, 07 11:22 pm  · 
 · 
Apurimac

LOL!

Oct 1, 07 11:24 pm  · 
 · 
grid

Apurimac > I'm just being a bit facetious (for good reason though). It's all about who you know.

Oct 2, 07 12:59 am  · 
 · 
gypsy

morph-ah-sis

Oct 3, 07 4:55 am  · 
 · 

morp - ho' - sis. : )

Oct 3, 07 7:38 am  · 
 · 
maya mcdifference

start working on your pull-up form now...

Oct 3, 07 4:07 pm  · 
 · 
gypsy

If you say it the Steven Ward way you will be out the door as soon as you are in. Aquaintances of mine who work there say you have to know someone already there to get an interview and once in its a great place. Also, everyone in those offices works a lot of hours.

Oct 3, 07 7:41 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: