Archinect
anchor

The Cancer that is Killing Archinect

difficultfix

I said on the other Topic Regarding Moderators..To leave it as it..

But the Idea of a Moderator is not bad, Because on other forums...that I have been to , the moderators do seem to keep everything on topic ...and thats actually nice..

When I first came to this site it was to learn more about the architecture community.. to see what professionals and other architecture students talk about. but over time it feels more like a place to hang out reading what some people have to say (architecture and NonArchitecture related stuff).

I am a browser on quite a few forums...

But i must say this one is my favorite...

But Keep the Archinect site as it is...Is still my vote.....(moderator Ok, If you have too)

Sep 21, 07 5:39 pm  · 
 · 
sameolddoctor

i hate the categories thing.

Sep 21, 07 5:50 pm  · 
 · 
Dapper Napper

No moderation please, the constant interrupting and overlapping of threads is part of the stream of conciousness (sp?) aspect i love about this site.

Sep 21, 07 5:56 pm  · 
 · 
evilplatypus

agreed^

Sep 21, 07 5:56 pm  · 
 · 
Philarch

I second sameolddoctor's comment about the categories. I liked the idea and its purpose, but it doesn't really work. (Warning - Dorky & lame metaphor will follow) Its like going into a cramped little room with no windows when there is an active and bustling atrium connected to it. Maybe subtly color coded thread titles or differentiating categories simply by font size and font type?

Sep 21, 07 6:04 pm  · 
 · 
e

I've never used the catagories.

Sep 21, 07 6:37 pm  · 
 · 
ether

me either.

Sep 21, 07 6:55 pm  · 
 · 

leave it as it is - in my opinion.
compared to some other boards that i occasionally look at - the freedom and humor of archinect is most refreshing.

Sep 21, 07 7:04 pm  · 
 · 
snooker

like i said I'll take a PB&J on my 3dh and a sooo----DEr!

Sep 21, 07 7:13 pm  · 
 · 
sameolddoctor

dont tase me, bro

Sep 21, 07 8:06 pm  · 
 · 

Please do not install moderators on Archinect. One of the things that I think is so great about this place is that while there is an occasional outburst or lull (as there is on moderated boards as well), we manage on our own, and there is no power struggle between moderators, those who wish to be moderators, those who personally dislike the moderators, and those who don't think there should be moderators... anyway, I think you get the point.

I'd like to think that what's causing the lull in archinect is the fact that so many fabulous 'nectors have just started grad school. = )

Sep 21, 07 10:07 pm  · 
 · 
garpike

Wow.

Apurimac, this thread is getting some relevant postage.

Sep 21, 07 10:42 pm  · 
 · 
garpike

Happy Birthday, almost.

Sep 21, 07 10:57 pm  · 
 · 
garpike

Wow!

Let's see 30, car paid off next month, no wife, no house/condo, no kids (of record), a bus ride from more folks than I'd like to know.

Enjoy the final year of your 20's! In only the first 6 months, the 30's have cleared up any concerns I once held on to.

Congrats on the bun in the oven!

Sep 21, 07 11:06 pm  · 
 · 
garpike

Archinect's trolls and old hats affect your under region?

Sep 21, 07 11:06 pm  · 
 · 
garpike

Clearly!

Sep 22, 07 1:07 am  · 
 · 
PerCorell

Architecture been taken over by internasional Pimps, they sell a fake picture, buildings that newer deliver any human value, all gloss and fake expressions , ------ then you claim ;

"Besides, the graphics thread, the 3D-H thread, the grad school thread, are all serious discussions in my mind."

Wrong , what that tread offer , is in fact what would heal the sickness, but not with just smalltalk as it "evolved" into, not with gloss renderings praising the Pimps, by suggesting fake spetacular surfaces ,where the core the subtract is irelevant, as Pimps sell architecture at distance by the cost of you as their fan's. No what "The new fancy graphids tread" could bring this fora, would be a revolution in architecture -- if that tread was suggesting a competition about the best 3D volumes, to turn into a real buildable house.

At best, that tread could challance for a small one or two family house, projected with a Solid CAD program , and the best of these designs, generated into buildable framework and relevant paneling ; but you Romans newer learn, as how you newer answer.

Sep 22, 07 9:35 am  · 
 · 

there's no cancer and nobody's dying.

it's just a normal, cyclical dry spell on archinect: happens every so often. and this one seems mild.

it will probably get better when liberty bell gets less busy.

Sep 22, 07 10:04 am  · 
 · 
evilplatypus

I like Quilian's suggestion of more mapa like interventions or maybe an archinect design contest - hasnt that been kicked around b4? Maybe that will suck in some of the Lurkers from the shadows. It would be neat to have a screen name only competition. Names would be known only to admin. Small entry fee, split the pot format.

Sep 22, 07 10:40 am  · 
 · 
Smokety Mc Smoke Smoke

Ummm, not to be nitpicky, but what connects Eisenman to Debord?

Sep 22, 07 10:47 am  · 
 · 
PerCorell

"hasnt that been kicked around b4?"

No. --- well yes I did, but in a few discussions about other issues. But true why not kick out both the architecture Pimps and the no clue lurkers who can't cope on usenet where they are spottet instantly, and start suggesting constructive, --- there are a need for cheap houses , why not show architect has some tallented young designers, who would othervise newer break the Pimp monopol.

Sep 22, 07 11:12 am  · 
 · 
l8rpeace

I call bullshit.

Alex (Apurimac) and I have, historically, disagreed on many, MANY things. And, we were roommates - but I believe we see past those things. However, we discussed the state of archinect a while back and sort of agreed...

Case in point: I was ready to post all of the China stuff I did: Shanghai (Tongji University, World Expo 2011 pavilion design), Beijing (Threshold installation), Chengdu, Tibet, Everest, Chongqing, Shanghai II (Get It Louder), and Beijing II (798, Summer Palace). There was so much I wanted to share...2.5 months...but I couldn't bring myself to do it because I thought, as Alex had mentioned, that thread quality had increased. I didn't really see that was the case, so my 290 scanned sketches, my 1600 pictures, and my virtual diary of the experience will never be culled and refined for this forum. It'd be a waste of time.

To be fair, I alway thought that the majority of the responses to my school blog posts were thoughful. But, that majority in that context wassn't nearly enough weight to counter what I consider digression in the other forums.

Some threads *may* need to be hijacked, and ignoring people can potentially help, but it's not enough. Trolls aren't flamed enough, digression is practically encouraged. Ignoring trolls and such is tough when you have to scroll through 15 bullshit entries in a post of 30...if the community wants this, that's fine. But, if this is the case, I respectfully disagree, I can find my architecture discussions elsewhere. Hence, the bullshit.

I still scroll through posts sometimes, and I agree with Alex.

Sep 22, 07 3:26 pm  · 
 · 
PerCorell

I know it is not polite, but if this mean all these entities, pictures and texts is not posted , not posted anywhere I understand, then hou did you get the time, ---- sorry but soem could find an emty tread there , promises and nothing more, -------- Therefore and becaurse contribuating something relevant, is the best way to entlighten the fora , the best way to fight Trolls and others with nothing relevant about architecture in mind must be to contribuate, with these amounts, the fora would be on it's feets again, whatever knocked it down.

Sep 22, 07 3:51 pm  · 
 · 
l8rpeace

I cant' tell if I understand you properly, but...

I found the time to archive for my own personal records. there was another outside impetus to begin, but said impetus did not require full archival scanning.

That said, I could not find the time to post this archive, or any pertinent subset thereof (culled appropriately as best I could see fit), because I no longer saw any reason to.

In short, I was going to scan it anyway and share, then chose not to share because I didn't see the benefit.

Sep 22, 07 5:04 pm  · 
 · 
abracadabra

l8rpeace,
not to offend you but i am in the midst of moving my office and i have 100's of unshared documents, sketches and photographs i had saved over the looong years. guess where they are going this afternoon?
yes, they'll be picked up by ernesto's rubbish service before down...
enjoy your precious docs...
we are not worthy....!!!!!

Sep 22, 07 5:13 pm  · 
 · 
dbahomeplans

Only recently joined & posted, so how much could I add to this? Well . . . it's better than most other arch/design forums out there — way more entertaining, has more business practice info than some, better mix of older & younger practitioners, still has an occasional tech thread, comments on design, and the off-topic comments either add color or at least indicate a living person playing around, maybe having read the other entries — most visual thinkers aren't very linear, after all. All this without moderators — no, Archinect doesn't need 'em. Maybe more categories or some sub-categories for clarity, just as general & voluntary guides, but stay tangential. A lull on this site so far is better than other sites' norms, so be careful how you change it, but I guess I'll go back to some of the old threads and see what I really missed.

Better yet, can you say what specific topic, content, approach, or other qualities are either lacking or preferred?

Sep 22, 07 5:32 pm  · 
 · 
Apurimac

Aiiee! I've been exposed! Hey Max (l8rpeace), i was really looking forward to you posting our China stuff on the blog but I think you do have good reason not to.

Sep 22, 07 6:05 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: