Archinect
anchor

online dating sucks

obelix

All I can say about online dating is that is has elevated the art of mind games to a whole new level. And then there are the Russian scam artists who probably work for the dating sites, so you end up re-subscribing just to find out the message is from Olga in Novosibirsk who says "I am finding you in my heart you are please to write." AAGH!

Sep 15, 07 10:12 pm
oldirty

Well, online dating is just as hellish and crappy as the face to face thing apparently. At least in NYC it seems to be exactly the same if not worse,which is saying a lot.

Sep 15, 07 10:58 pm  · 
 · 
aspect

have u tried here? i dated many beautiful ones here, and there ain't no russian artists (scam or not scam) running this place neither.

Sep 15, 07 11:42 pm  · 
 · 
Apurimac

meeting chicks on the 'nect?

Well, I do kinda have a thing for Tumbleweed, but I think she's with THE MDLER.

Sep 15, 07 11:44 pm  · 
 · 
aspect

i'm an old chinese, one time a teenage african gal from nigeria sent me a message from friendster saying "i'm the one she has been looking for!"

huh??

Sep 15, 07 11:59 pm  · 
 · 
Apurimac

lol

Sep 16, 07 12:17 am  · 
 · 
clerestory strip™

Huh, online dating sucks for the girls too...I've had so many ads up and gotten few if any responses, it's depressing-and the the guys who answer totally do not read my ad-when I state I'm looking for a man aged 35-55 who lives in the Nashville area who wants children, I get responses from guys in their 20s who live in Europe who don't want kids!

If you're not thin, fair and beautiful, you have little to no luck when it comes to dating online, since there is a premium put on "beauty"-and if you're an agnistic or an atheist, forget it. And if you're seeking an interracial match...hmnh, dream on.

If I saved all the money I wasted trying to meet someone online (and through dating services...(that damn Great Expectations...what a scam that was), I'd be rich!!!

Dating just sucks, period.

Sep 17, 07 10:10 am  · 
 · 
clerestory strip™

correction in spelling, agnostic..damn sticky keyboard...

Sep 17, 07 10:16 am  · 
 · 

ewwl...sticky keyboard. i don't want to know.

Sep 17, 07 10:21 am  · 
 · 
obelix

I think J.Geils said it best.

Sep 17, 07 10:40 am  · 
 · 
4arch

I refuse to use any online dating site that reqires a subscription fee. Besides the fact that I'm cheap, there's just something about it that makes me feel uneasy. I also don't like getting my hopes up about someone only to find out they can't write me back because they don't subscribe. That limits me to using okcupid, salon/onion personals, and craigslist. The types and quality of people I've met through each has been about the same, though the salon/onion crowd is decidedly more liberal, artsy, educated, and older.

Most of the people I've taken the step of actually meeting with face to face seemed like pretty good matches online but with the majority once we were face to face things just didn't click. There's just a certain intangible quality about a person you can't capture on a website.

Overall, I don't think online dating is any better or worse than any other way of meeting people. My main gripe is that the sites put too much emphasis on petty crap like what's your favorite ice cream flavor than they do on asking questions you might actually want answered before getting involved with someone.

For the atheist/agnostic thing I think it really depends on what area of the country you're in - I meet plenty around here.

Sep 17, 07 10:45 am  · 
 · 
clerestory strip™

Well I live in the middle of the Bible Belt-so I'm pretty much screwed :(

Sep 17, 07 10:50 am  · 
 · 
mdler

aqua

she is

Sep 17, 07 12:36 pm  · 
 · 
mdler

screwed in a good way or a bad way?

Sep 17, 07 12:44 pm  · 
 · 
Apurimac

i would take it from the :( that its a bad way.

Sep 17, 07 1:17 pm  · 
 · 
clerestory strip™

Oh, you aren't right :(

Sep 17, 07 2:04 pm  · 
 · 
Apurimac

he never is

Sep 17, 07 2:35 pm  · 
 · 
mdler

tumbles obviously thinks I am...

Sep 17, 07 2:38 pm  · 
 · 
clerestory strip™

If I didn't laugh, I'd cry...well, it's ok.... snooker thinks I'm all right...

Sep 17, 07 2:54 pm  · 
 · 
le bossman

i don't enjoy online dating, but i do enjoy dating in general. it became easier for me around the age of 24-25 for some reason. it just kind of occured to me that it's all about sex, so if you just have a reasonably good conversation and don't act stupid, you're probably fine.

Sep 17, 07 2:57 pm  · 
 · 
lletdownl

my problem is all the cute girls i meet have boy friends. whats the verdict on girl friend snatching? my conscious objects but i have ways to over ride it (jameson, pbr)

Sep 17, 07 3:25 pm  · 
 · 
4arch

why steal a girl from her bf when all you need to do is wait a few months? can't imagine most dating relationships last longer than that and the ones that do you probably have no hope of a steal anyway.

Sep 17, 07 3:40 pm  · 
 · 
lletdownl

very true, good point

Sep 17, 07 3:45 pm  · 
 · 
Jonas77

i wouldn't date anybody thats not vegetarian or Bright (agnostic)

Sep 17, 07 6:08 pm  · 
 · 
4arch

I can't date anybody who is a vegetarian or vegan. Tried it a couple times before. With one vegetarian I dated none of our dates ever involved having a meal together. It was too weird.

Sep 18, 07 7:58 am  · 
 · 
trace™

that's funny. I feel uneasy dating someone that is a huge carnivore. I am not a strict vegetarian, but I couldn't stand looking at bloody steak or lobster every time we went out for dinner.

While I try to keep an open mind, I did date someone that was conservative and religious (just because here family was), it didn't work out well. At least with online things I can tell before we meet.

Online dating is hit or miss. Sometimes it seems like a wonderfully convenient way to meet someone (self employed, working 15+ hrs a day doesn't exactly allow for many 'real' opportunities), other days it seems like a massive waste of time (the fact that there are a billion profiles and no way to know who can actually respond is robbery - if they don't fix that soon, I'll be gone).

It's just one more possibilitie, though, and that makes it seem like it is worth the time and investment.

Sep 18, 07 9:16 am  · 
 · 
stephanie

"i wouldn't date anybody thats not vegetarian or Bright (agnostic)"

MY SENTIMENTS EXACTLY!

Sep 18, 07 11:32 am  · 
 · 
manamana

2 of my previous girlfriends we vegetarian when we starting dating. within a month of dating me both had given it up.

I tend to do that to people.

Sep 18, 07 11:41 am  · 
 · 
weAREtheSTONES

I thought it sucked too! But just rrecently my architect g/f and I broke up and I decided i needed toget out of the design dating world and find some fresh blood. found a dating site, made a profile w/out pictures of my genitalia! And the next day i open up my email and theres a message for this amzing looking girl ...w/out pictures of her genitalia! (w/out a job description as well) I responded back...her back to me and we had a normal convo.(this is where she told me she is an accountant at a nite club) then she got frustrated w/ the b/s emails and dropped her digits..we talked a few times on the phone and we set up a date to meet up somewhere.
-I since i had her email and I know almost everyone has a myspace account, and I was kinda skeptical of her profession...i decided to find her on myspace...very easily mind you! And still there she seemed to be very vague about what she did for a living...but then i looked at her blog...shes a dancer!!!...yeah that kind of dancer.
-We met up - walked around the most romantic city in the US of A and had wonderful meaningful convos. again she tells me she is an accountant at a nite club!!! later on towards the end of the date when we were making our way back to her house...we were talking about myspace somehow and she says "so have you seen my page"
-me- "nope.............OK i lie i did."
Y'all should of seen the look on her face...(seen a ghost...white sheets)
me- "So what do you really do for a living?"
her- Dancer!

All in all - dancers are people too and she seems really down to earth and she realizes that her being a dancer means i might not be able to take her home to mom...well maybe one day!

So - I guess its all about luck...and I obviously had it that day on the net!

Sep 18, 07 5:01 pm  · 
 · 
Jonas77

going to watch a movie tomorrow with some raw foods people i haven't yet met.

"The Future of Food"
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0427276/maindetails

stephanie want to meet 1/2 way at lake Tahoe for the green build AIA regional convention?

Sep 18, 07 5:06 pm  · 
 · 
stephanie

there is a convention in tahoe? i know nothing of this.

Sep 18, 07 6:56 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

hi stephanie:P

Sep 18, 07 7:02 pm  · 
 · 
Jonas77

oops it was last week
http://aiann.org/calendar.fx

well you could always come to the Green Expo in scottsdale this year is going to be the biggest yet.. oct 5th
http://www.greenbuildingexpo.com/

Sep 18, 07 7:40 pm  · 
 · 
obelix

This whole "vegetarian" thing has me thinking - which Star Wars characters would be vegetarians?

Padme Amidala - definitely a vegetarian
Jar Jar - probably a vegetarian
C3P0 - vegan
R2D2 - probably not
Luke - tried being a vegetarian but gave it up
Han Solo - not a vegetarian
Yoda - vegetarian
Old Darth Vader - kittens for breakfast
New Darth Vader - organic kittens with arugula salad + pine nuts
Jabba - not a vegetarian
Boba Fett - vegetarian. Keeps Power Bars in side pocket of craft
Lando Calrissian - smoove-it-arian. Converts vegetarians to omnivores based on uneasy alliance with the Dark Side.
Storm Troopers - vegetarians
Leia - not a vegetarian, has a cup of yogurt for breakfast because she's "always in a hurry". Always takes miniscule portions at Rebel Alliance lunch meetings. A lousy tipper.
Obi Wan - vegetarian, extolled benefits of vegetarianism to young Skywalker. Injures Skywalker during epic battle on Mustafar, realizes that by letting Skywalker stew in his own juice, it will bring out his true flavor.

Sep 18, 07 8:29 pm  · 
 · 
strlt_typ

some of those names sound like vegetarian food

padme-thai food
jarjar-indian food
c3po-energy bar
boba fett-tea with milk and tapioca balls
obi wan-noodles with brocolli and shrimp

Sep 18, 07 8:41 pm  · 
 · 
stephanie

thanks for the invite jonas, but i'm not leaving boise until after the 10.20 when my LEED exam is scheduled.

let it be known that archinectors visiting boise can be welcome w/ open arms at my place...not to sound cheap or anything. really, i just like hosting.

special olympics 2009?

Sep 19, 07 1:22 am  · 
 · 
stephanie

that was really wrong, please forgive me...too much wine at the theater.

Sep 19, 07 1:23 am  · 
 · 
stephanie

unfortunately no jetblue in boise's tiny airport.
southwest?

Sep 19, 07 1:52 am  · 
 · 
WonderK

I have not yet participated in any archinect dating. And while I did a couple of stints with the online dating thing, I found only how terrible I was at dating that way. I am much better with people that I meet through common interests, or volunteering, or whatever.

That being said, what does everyone think about dating someone that is your TA for a graduate level class? They may be grading your homework but it's not quite as formal as undergraduate / TA relationships. Just curious.

Sep 19, 07 2:36 am  · 
 · 
Apurimac

attention weARE:

Dating Strippers = Awesome. Good luck with it.

And tumbleweed, if you're ever in the NYC area and need relief from THE MDLER, hit me up, we can get a beer.

Sep 19, 07 2:41 am  · 
 · 
snooker

Screw on line dating if your a guy.....just go to work for DR. TSUI
HE SEEMS TO BE A FEMALE MAGNET!

Sep 20, 07 5:45 pm  · 
 · 
snooker

He is the guy in the mylar jacket!

Sep 20, 07 5:46 pm  · 
 · 
obelix

So that's what that coat does! I want one!

Sep 20, 07 11:57 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: