Archinect
anchor

Archinect's Geezer Roll Call

citizen

I know I'm not the only senior Citizen here who's noticed Archinect's younger demographic. It's time for those of us 'of a certain age' to stand up and be counted... if only to satisfy my curiosity. My hunch is that this is going to be a short list.

Let's put the line in the sands of time at age 40. If you were born before 1968, give us a "shout out," as the kids say.

Sep 9, 07 11:47 am
citizen

Age 47 here, by the way.

Sep 9, 07 11:48 am  · 
 · 
rfuller

Citizen, you're older than my parents.

Hope that brightens your day.

Sep 9, 07 11:58 am  · 
 · 
brian buchalski

47 is still pretty young for an architect. in this profession you probably need to be at least 70 years old before claiming "senior citizen" status. everybody born in 1937 or earlier let's hear it.

Sep 9, 07 12:10 pm  · 
 · 

I must agree with puddles. At 30 I know I'm a baby in this lifelong profession. Citizen holler back when you have trouble remembering what year you were born

Sep 9, 07 12:29 pm  · 
 · 
n_

I win.

I'm a 168 in dog years.

Sep 9, 07 12:47 pm  · 
 · 
n_

Wait, I take that back.

Rumor has it, Vado is like a million years old. He is Archinect's oracle.

Sep 9, 07 1:06 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

Vintage 1967 here.

Yes, that means I could easily be many of you young archinecters' mom.

But it also means that only now is it my last year to qualify as a "young architect". This is a long, slow profession whose rewards tend to not come until much later in your career than many other professions.

Only problem I see lately is that my eyesight is getting worse - I'll be wearing bifocals within 5 years, easily.

Sep 9, 07 1:25 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

well last time i checked it still works and i know how to use it.

Sep 9, 07 1:29 pm  · 
 · 
tc79

I've got scales and triangles that are older than most of people I work with.

Sep 9, 07 1:37 pm  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

1968 - Summer Of Love

Sep 9, 07 1:43 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

the summer of love was in 1967.

Sep 9, 07 1:52 pm  · 
 · 

i am not yet 40!

Sep 9, 07 2:18 pm  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

well for you, but for me, i was the reason there was a summer of love.

Sep 9, 07 2:20 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

So that's why I'm so love-able! ;-)

tc79, my best scale is one my dad used in college - so it's 45 years old! Made of wood, of course - I love wood.

Sep 9, 07 2:32 pm  · 
 · 
eastcoastarch03

some of you could be my parents

dad? is that you??

1986 baby, young and lovin' it

Sep 9, 07 2:39 pm  · 
 · 
SDR

Not an architect (as HH Harris once put on his business card -- when he had yet to acquire his California license) but an old woodworker and devotee of "the Mother Art." Born in 1942. . .

Keep it up, kidees -- who was it said Architecture is "an old man's art" ? Women too, thank god.

SDR

Sep 9, 07 2:41 pm  · 
 · 
e

i graduated high school before eastcoastarch was born. i'm with lb. 1967.

Sep 9, 07 2:44 pm  · 
 · 
archie

1956. I used a sliderule in college and drafted on linen with an ink ruling pen at my first drafting job. I am NOT kidding. I have kids older than most of my employees. I have underwear older than my employees.

Sep 9, 07 2:50 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

Miss Liberty, I have done some extensive research and I have found that ThIsSoNgWaSNuMeRoUnO on the day of your birth.

Sep 9, 07 2:57 pm  · 
 · 

there is nothing wrong with letting your grandkids buy you new underwear.

Notwithstanding age is a state of mind when it comes to defining architectural talent. My sentiments are definately post-war modernist, but I'm a child of the 70s (late 70s at that)

and isn't the summer of love '69? And I'm not saying historically either (meow)

Sep 9, 07 2:58 pm  · 
 · 
citizen

This reminds me of a US history seminar I took in grad school a few years ago. In our discussion of "the 'Sixties," I discovered to my horror I was the only one in the room who had BEEN ALIVE in the 1960s.

Sep 9, 07 2:59 pm  · 
 · 

I still feel young at almost 35... It was nice to graduate hs in 1990.

Sep 9, 07 3:09 pm  · 
 · 
tc79

lb,
My favorite ones are wooden, too. Or wood core.
The plastic ones break too easily when you whack the interns.

Sep 9, 07 3:09 pm  · 
 · 
Katze

I knew I was over the hill when, for the first time I heard that commercial play on T.V. and I was part of the statistic – that one that goes something like " If you were born between the years of 1967 and 1923, call us now for your free insurance quote – make sure your loved ones are protected after you kick the bucket" Help me out here – whos commercial is that?

…and you young'ns out there – this day will come sooner than you think so enjoy your youth.

metamechanic – that comment is cracking me up!

Sep 9, 07 3:31 pm  · 
 · 
archie

We have a new employee who wants to bring a drafting machine to the office. Anybody remember those? Suprisingly, he is not old, just oldfashioned.
Remember throwing the scum bag at each other in the studio? Someone actually made me a heart shaped one as a present.

Sep 9, 07 3:34 pm  · 
 · 
SDR

Seems to me those were called "pounce" bags. . .?

Sep 9, 07 3:45 pm  · 
 · 
archie

same thing, we called them scum bags. I guess it sounded better when combined with bum wad paper.

Sep 9, 07 4:03 pm  · 
 · 
tc79

We called them 'rat bags'.
I still have one somewhere. It's with my lettering guides.

Sep 9, 07 4:03 pm  · 
 · 
archie

and the electric eraser. What an improvement over the razor blade you had to use on the linen.

Sep 9, 07 4:07 pm  · 
 · 
quizzical

take some exception to the "Geezer" label, but I graduated high school the year before liberty bell was born.

metamechanic: I use computers quite well, thank you - probably 'cause I was around when they were invented

Sep 9, 07 4:19 pm  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

1986? 1986? i have underwear older than you sonny!

Sep 9, 07 4:22 pm  · 
 · 

i am younger than few, older than most. i wasn't born yesterday...

Sep 9, 07 5:10 pm  · 
 · 

p2an, nice with the Shamen link! Propped up in the corner laughing by the bass bins!

Sep 9, 07 7:07 pm  · 
 · 
snooker

damn.....feeling like an oldster....Living like a Kid...1953.....WHOOO!

Sep 9, 07 7:21 pm  · 
 · 
corbusier4eva

21 years young plus 10.

Sep 9, 07 8:07 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

antipod, that comment reminds me of my first (and only) golf game score: I proudly declared it as "three under triple par".

I was exicted to turn 40 - I love describing myself as "a 40-year-old woman" (I had been rounding up for six months anyway) but I'm getting a little nervous about being in my forties.

Sep 9, 07 8:30 pm  · 
 · 
corbusier4eva

Just as 30s are the new 20s, 40s are the new 30s ;)

Sep 9, 07 8:33 pm  · 
 · 
tc79

Now I keep hearing 60 is the new 40.

... I think I'll wait.

Sep 9, 07 8:51 pm  · 
 · 
blackcomb1

Born in 1962, love the comment about having triangles and set squares older than some of the other staff, I had a good chuckle over that.

Sep 9, 07 9:16 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

Do not go gentle into that good night,
Old age should burn and rave at close of day;
Rage, rage against the dying of the light.

Sep 9, 07 10:40 pm  · 
 · 
rfuller

Nothing like a little Dylan Thomas to lighten the mood.

Personally I turned 25 last week. Hooray for insurance discounts!

Sep 9, 07 11:25 pm  · 
 · 

i get student discounts still, but was born in 69...just as armstrong was heading for the moon.

as for old people and computers i remember in the 70's when my da brought home a stack of punch cards from his comp sci class at uni. i think he was learning fortran. just for fun. he was also an early adopter of the 8 track.

more on computers...
i was first and only student in 1990 who used even one of the 4 macs our archi-school bought. the other 3 sat quiet and powered down almost continuoulsy...the profs did not know what to make of my minicad dwgs. i think they were impressed....but wondered why everything was printed out on A4 sheets. it is hard to imagine that world, now.

Sep 10, 07 4:13 am  · 
 · 

i took that punch card computer sci class, jump. (well, not your dad's...)

and i had a chuckle recently when loaning a wood scale to an intern and it occurred to me that it was older than he was. hell, my plastic adjustable triangle is probably older than him.

didn't get into computer drawing in undergrad, but i did do the document for my thesis on a tiny little mac in 1990. had a stack of 3.5 floppies wrapped in a rubber band! what was it: bank street writer?

Sep 10, 07 7:18 am  · 
 · 
Ledoux's Eye

Put me in the over 50 crowd (just barely!). I've been doing this for awhile. I get a good chuckle out of some of the comments posted on this site, but I also enjoy the fresh perspective that crops up from time-to-time. That's what keeps me coming back.

Yes, I was quite proud of my very first Texas Instruments calculator that I aquired while I was still in college. I took the very first CAD drafting class offerred....we did punch cards and carried them to the main university computing center for processing. We came back two days later to pick up our drawings. If a punch card was out of order, you had to do the whole thing over again. I was just sure that CAD would die quickly. I still have all my manual drafting equipment (really high quality stuff that I just can't let go of, even though it never gets used anymore).

Sep 10, 07 1:30 pm  · 
 · 
citizen

So far, this thread is unfolding just as expected:

a handful of posts by the middle-aged, and a flurry by those who couldn't restain themselves from posting if they had a Glock 9mm trained on their temple.

Sep 10, 07 2:00 pm  · 
 · 
brian buchalski

even though i look young for my age, i keep telling everybody that i was born in 1960...i've kept this up for years and i think some of them are actually beginning to believe...now if only all of my hair would turn gray...

Sep 10, 07 2:07 pm  · 
 · 
cf

Frank Sinatra and Nelson Riddle

Sep 10, 07 2:13 pm  · 
 · 
LameArc

man, i thought i was getting old when i hit the big 2 5 earlier this summer. a quarter of a century seems like nothing compared to some of you old farts. thanks archinect, for making me feel young again.

No matter my age, spending all those late nights in studio huffing chemicals, my body feels like im 50.

i was kidding about the old fart thing...

Sep 10, 07 2:20 pm  · 
 · 
a handful of posts by the middle-aged, and a flurry by those who couldn't restain themselves from posting if they had a Glock 9mm trained on their temple.

i resemble that remark.

Sep 10, 07 2:24 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: