Archinect
anchor

Archinect's Geezer Roll Call

e

steven, i took that punch card class in high school too.

Sep 10, 07 2:58 pm  · 
 · 
citizen

Sorry, Steven. I've had too much coffee this morning. My sarcasm setting got nudged upward as a result....

Sep 10, 07 2:59 pm  · 
 · 
archi**kat

great thread.

I am 13 mos from 3-0, but am told I look 18.

love the stories from the Seasoned folks.

Sep 11, 07 2:29 am  · 
 · 
liberty bell
Seasoned

??

How about spicy!!

Gah, now I actually sounds like an old woman. Excuse me while I get on with my Tuesday.

Sep 11, 07 7:16 am  · 
 · 
doberman

34. boohoo, i hate getting old

Sep 11, 07 7:52 am  · 
 · 

ahahaha, lb.

that is amazing steven. i think you are about same age as me, but by the time i used my first computer in junior high school it was already gone dos. did i miss anything?

Sep 11, 07 8:40 am  · 
 · 
cf

jump,

*.*

Sep 11, 07 9:53 am  · 
 · 
archi**kat

next time I'll just say "those older than me" :)

Sep 11, 07 10:00 am  · 
 · 
e

I love getting old. I much prefer being 40 than 20.

Sep 11, 07 10:49 am  · 
 · 
citizen

Old geezer alert, archi**kat!

"...those older than I..."

Sep 11, 07 12:20 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro
SiNgAlOnGgEeZeRz!
Sep 11, 07 12:44 pm  · 
 · 
Philarct

- studying archictecture

i was born yesterday but i stayed up
all night

Sep 11, 07 1:07 pm  · 
 · 
simples

people usually think i am in my 40's (as i was throroughly pickled in my 20's!) but i am only 31...and although i am just a kid, my wife keeps telling me i am way too serious for my age ("overly responsible" she calls it)...also, the appearance of being older has worked very well professionally...

please note that architecturally, you are only a geezer when you turn 90 (think niemeyer)...it goes something like,

you are young at 50,
upcoming through 60,
at your prime through 70,
old news at 80,
and geezer at 90...

Sep 11, 07 1:27 pm  · 
 · 
lletdownl

simples im almost the opposite... i am young but i look younger (im sometimes told) and it has had a negative effect on the amount of respect im given at work. not by my colleagues at my office, but i definitely notice it when i meet consultants or engineers from various projects for the first time...
once they find out how young i am, i notice a change in the tone and in one case, the less than timely responses to my emails.

Sep 11, 07 1:37 pm  · 
 · 
Ms Beary

I look young for my age too. I'm a few days shy of 30, but could pass for a 7 year old. Yesterday, I got called 'kiddo' by a client.

Sep 11, 07 1:45 pm  · 
 · 

until this year i was also too young looking. this job is making my hair fall out and turn gray, so i'm getting much more respect than i used to.

Sep 11, 07 1:47 pm  · 
 · 
lletdownl

hehe... yeah im 24 and have gotten down right looks of shock when i introduce myself and they realize im the person they have been emailing...

Sep 11, 07 1:48 pm  · 
 · 
some person

Some might say I'm obsessed with age.

My client (a "recovering architect") admitted in a meeting a few months ago that it was his 53rd birthday. I realized that it was exactly my half birthday and that I was exactly HALF his age on that date. I told him this after the meeting; I'm pretty sure he was amused.

Sep 11, 07 9:11 pm  · 
 · 
rza

I was born in the 90's, shh!

Sep 11, 07 10:39 pm  · 
 · 
Katze

There is nothing wrong with having the young looking DNA gene, right? Especially if you are called "kiddo" and you are reaching 30 or 40!!! Embrace it…its all good.

Sep 11, 07 10:46 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

you kids get off our goddamned thread dammit!!!

Sep 11, 07 11:32 pm  · 
 · 
farmer

1954 ad but some mornings it feels like bc

Sep 11, 07 11:35 pm  · 
 · 
Katze

B.C. all the way...

VR - you crack me up!

BTW, is the term "geezer" superior to "craggy"? Or vice versa? He he

Sep 12, 07 12:07 am  · 
 · 
eastcoastarch03
Sep 12, 07 1:02 am  · 
 · 
Katze

Oh, and simples is right on the money with the Niemeyer analogy...

Pretty pic ECA03 – does it come in red?

Sep 12, 07 1:16 am  · 
 · 
citizen

Vado, you evil genius!

Shatner doing Sinatra? (so to speak) How am I supposed to sleep now? Either that rendition OR my laughing is going to keep me up all night!

Sep 12, 07 1:21 am  · 
 · 
archi**kat

Katze I had two teachers in high school who used to call each other curmudgeons.

Sep 12, 07 1:42 am  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

speaking of age, i don't know if any of you has ever looked at a playboy magazine, but when i was 21 i thought wow that centerfold is the same age as me, we could have gone to high school together, now i think if i opened one up i'd say oh my god, that young girl could be my daughter! hence i never buy a playboy.

Sep 12, 07 5:20 am  · 
 · 
aquapura

beta - a few weeks ago I was in Madison, surrounded by the 21-22 crowd and someone had the Playboy girls of the SEC out. The centerfold was born in 1989. Did a double take before realizing, yes, she was actually 18.

Count me in the "almost 30" archinect crowd. Have enough experience to keep my head above water, but humble enough to know I've got much to learn. Love getting out to job sites and hearing the supt saying "I pictured you much older."

And I do remember punch cards. In the early to mid-80's we were using them as scratch paper in our computer lab class. The school just spent a flipping fortune to outfit a whole room with 30 apple II's that hardly anyone knew how to run. My first summer interning at a firm was when the principals put the pressure on the last "hand drafter" to learn Autocad or head to the unemployment line, circa 1996.

Sep 12, 07 8:33 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: