Archinect
anchor

Welcome to hell...

alfrejas24

Is anyone else just dying from the heat right now? My new apt in Brooklyn is currently a nice cool 93 degrees. I have several fans going but it only helps a little. Wife wants AC but I don't think our contractor special of an apartment can handle that kind of power drain. Ran the vacuuam last week and blew out the circuits in two rooms and am not ready to blow all of the circuits in the apt. Almost makes me wish I had a job in a nice AC'd office...almost. Anyone else feeling a little toasty out there?

Aug 8, 07 3:06 pm
vado retro

sounds really nice.

Aug 8, 07 3:08 pm  · 
 · 
chupacabra

at least you don't live in Phoenix.

Aug 8, 07 3:09 pm  · 
 · 
drums please, Fab?

i buy carbon offsets - it's been much cooler in los angeles this week ..

Aug 8, 07 3:10 pm  · 
 · 
chupacabra

baby powder con huevos

Aug 8, 07 3:11 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

the chafe-o-meter is off the charts.

Aug 8, 07 3:13 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

After 9 years in Philly summers with no AC, I finally put it in the summer I was home with my new infant. I can't begin to describe how much my quality of life improved that summer! Not only was the house cool, it was quiet, and significantly less dirty - you know that city grime that settles on every surface when the windows are open?

If it's 75 or below I still prefer open windows to AC, but in the city there are others tradeoffs to fresh air.

Also: be happy you don't do collision work in a autopaint shop with a 12' x 20' oven smack in the middle of it.

Aug 8, 07 3:16 pm  · 
 · 
strlt_typ

cool from the inside-out...

lemon iced tea in a chilled pitcher with lots of ice...poured in a chilled glass with condensation forming on the outside...

Aug 8, 07 3:21 pm  · 
 · 
kdollaghan

at least you don't live in dallas either

Aug 8, 07 3:24 pm  · 
 · 
med.

It's definitely well above 100 in DC right now. It's been an inferno.

Aug 8, 07 3:26 pm  · 
 · 
beefeaters

i feel you alfrejas24, im in manhattan and no ac... it is hot as balls in my apartment

Aug 8, 07 3:27 pm  · 
 · 
kdollaghan

i find laying as still as possible near an open window, with a fan pointing outward, and spraying yourself with a spritzer bottle filled with ice and water helps

Aug 8, 07 3:27 pm  · 
 · 
phuyaké

alfrejas24, I live in a loft in an industrial building in brooklyn on the top floor.. my half-height sleeping area pushed against the ceiling is typically 5-10 degrees hotter then the outside temp. i'm really, seriously, considering sleeping in the bathtub or roof tonight

Aug 8, 07 3:28 pm  · 
 · 

i haven't been feeling the heat too much, having been chained to my desk. but i did hear a crazy statistic yesterday: power usage spiked in louisville metro yesterday, for obvious reasons. the power used just yesterday in louisville is the equivalent of a month of average days. [...or something like that. i don't have my facts straight, just know that the message was extreme.]

Aug 8, 07 3:32 pm  · 
 · 
n_

It's 98 degrees in Nashville right now. The humity index is at a million.

Aug 8, 07 3:34 pm  · 
 · 
xtbl

glad i'm not there!

it's been pretty pleasant in l.a. lately.

Aug 8, 07 3:35 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

my place was not hot when i went home for lunch. i pulled the shades and closed the windows before i left. it was a bit stuffy so i ran the a/c for a bit. the cat was in the tub.

Aug 8, 07 3:35 pm  · 
 · 
simples

the heat doesn't bother me as much as the humidity...when i walk outside, i feel i have to push my body through a thick mass of air...i was at a building we are adding to today, and had to climb up a 25' access ladder from an unventilated mech. room to get to the roof, and was up there for about 15-20 mins, and was just drenched afterwards...not nice when you are wearing black pants and a grey long sleeve shirt...

Aug 8, 07 3:41 pm  · 
 · 
postal

lletdownl has an awesome story, but i'm a better story teller, so i'll tell it...

couple summers ago lletdownl and two others squeezed into a tiny 3 bedroom. double wythe solid masonry building with no insulation. the unit faced west for the most part. there was a deck with a roof on the back. you could bake bread in the living room in the middle of the night. it was way hotter than outside and was unbearable to hang out in... so the genius architectural instinct in one of them hung a sheet at the end of the deck and canopy to keep the sun off the wall.... the difference was unbelievable.

lletdownl then took over at shigeru ban's office...

here's a pic of one of the roomates prior to sheet installation...

Aug 8, 07 3:45 pm  · 
 · 
chupacabra

Houston is just absolutely pleasant right now.

Aug 8, 07 3:46 pm  · 
 · 
xtbl

i love that house.

and that was a great episode.

Aug 8, 07 3:47 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

Great story, postal.

Aug 8, 07 3:49 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

well it is summertime.

Aug 8, 07 3:51 pm  · 
 · 
eastcoastarch03
Aug 8, 07 3:54 pm  · 
 · 
holz.box

i am jealous - it's been in the high 60s last few days - w/ little sun.

is summer already over??

Aug 8, 07 4:06 pm  · 
 · 
kdollaghan

one day i was in class and 'this is why i'm hot' came on from inside my bag.. my phone had somehow gone online and downloaded 4 different remixed ringtones of that song. needless to say i quickly became known as the coolest kid in school

Aug 8, 07 4:08 pm  · 
 · 
Ledoux's Eye

Warning: Slight thread high-jack ahead (although my story is about heat...extreme heat).

Many years ago...traveling in Greece. Ended up in Athens in August (stupid move, I know). This was not a place you go on the way to hell...this was HELL. I was on a traveling student budget, which meant that any hotel with actual air-conditioning was way out of my budget. Found a decent student hotel. By decent, I mean it was clean, toilet/lavatory in the room, right in the center of the city, even had a small balcony from which a pretty good view of the Acropolis was available...but no AC. I was there for a week and it never got below 100 degrees, even at night. Oh, and the humidity was about 1% away from rain. Quickly found that the only way I could survive was to fill the bathroom sink with cold water and soak all my shirts. I would leave in the morning to try and do some touristing, come back at mid-day and change shirts. I would take one of the shirts soaking in the sink and put in on dripping wet right out of the sink...can't tell you how great that felt...for a few minutes, at least.

Anyway, even in that heat there was no way I was going to miss seeing the Acropolis (for those that may not know, the Arcopolis is essentially a huge ROCK, the top of which is several hundred feet closer to the sun than the city below). Made it up to the Acropolis without getting heat stroke (I'm pretty sure we could have fried an egg on the steps of the Parthenon). Spent a couple of hours exploring and then headed down the hill. As we started back into the streets of the city, we came across a little wooden shack with a big Coca Cola sign on it. This was kind of like those fruit stands you see along the highway. The open shelves were filled with bottles of Coke (made an impressive advertising display). We quickly stepped up to the counter and ordered a couple of Cokes (thinking that the shelves contained a display and that a frosty cooler full of icy Coke stood just out of our view). To our surprise (and looking back, we shouldn't have been surprised), the proprietor turned around and grabbed two bottles off the shelf and handed them to us. No refrigeration, no cooler filled with ice, not even a glass with ice. We were so desperate that we drank 100-degree Coke anyway. I was sure I was going to die.

Aug 8, 07 4:27 pm  · 
 · 
strlt_typ

did you get that grainy feel on your teeth when you drank warm coke?

Aug 8, 07 4:29 pm  · 
 · 
Ledoux's Eye

I don't remember if I got "that grainy feel," or not, but this was HOT Coke, not warm Coke.

Also, after the first couple of nights in the hotel, we realized we couldn't get any sleep. It was just miserable. We had the doors open to the balcony and laid on the bed spread-eagled waiting for even the slightest whiff of a breeze, but it was just too hot. Couldn't sleep. Third night, and thereafter, we said to hell with it and left the door to our room wide open, hoping that the stairwell outside our door might act as a chimney and draw some cooler air through our room through the open balcony doors. I remember laying there and having people walk past our open door, pausing to look in, laugh, and then moving on. I worried every night that we might actually fall asleep and then someone would simply walk in and steal our money and our cameras (only items of value that we had). Thankfully, we did finally sleep...and, miraculously, we didn't lose our stuff.

Aug 8, 07 4:42 pm  · 
 · 
Japhy

Hey alfrejas........2 good ways to cool off in NYC when you have no A/C are to go to the movies (or better yet, a museum where you can hang out in their A/C until they close) or go to one of the 52 public pools......they're free!

Aug 8, 07 5:56 pm  · 
 · 
sameolddoctor

"Ledoux's Eye" get used to the way most of the world lives...with the way things are going you will be in the same boat very soon (i take you are an american)

Aug 8, 07 7:18 pm  · 
 · 
Frit

Atlanta was 99 today, and the humidity made it *literally* rain on the subway there was so much condensation on the ceiling.

Aug 8, 07 7:52 pm  · 
 · 
lletdownl

oh lord... postal... 3636 emerald... those were the days...
the only good thing about that double whyth solid masonry apartment, which did indeed face west and was on the top floor...
was that it was 600$ a month... for 3 bedrooms...

Aug 8, 07 8:01 pm  · 
 · 
crowbert

Lived in Savannah (95º, 95% humidity May-Oct) GA for a summer - with no AC. Everything was done within 6" of the floor and I had empty soda boxes in the fridge to pour cold air over me when I came in from the blistering heat outdoors. This is nothing.

I've also rode my bike to work on days where the high (not windchill, actual high temp) did not get over 5º - and its not like I was riding in the heat of the day either. It was also uphill both ways, in case you're wondering...

So in other words - quit yer whinin'.

Aug 8, 07 8:10 pm  · 
 · 
kissy_face

It was so hot in atlanta today...
i just drove home from work (9:30p)and my car said it was 96 degrees outside.

Aug 8, 07 10:14 pm  · 
 · 
Gloominati

I spent one of the hottest summers on record in NYC in the mid 1990s, in a 6th floor walk-up with no AC. I saw a lot of movies that summer - pretty much any and every movie - to get out of the heat. The "cool 93 degrees" mentioned in the first post really would have felt cool after a couple weeks of 100-degree days outside, and probably 10 degrees hotter in my top floor apartment. I came home one day to find that I'd left the curtains open and the plastic cereal bowl from the 98-cent store that I'd left on the kitchen counter that morning had melted into a puddle of orange plastic on the sun-heated black marble countertop.
That summer became my benchmark, and whenever I've thought about getting AC since then I've decided that if I survived that summer I don't need AC.
But I've read that as you age your body gets progressively worse at self-regulating its temperature (one of the reasons the elderly are particularly at risk in heat waves), and I'm getting decidedly middle-aged, so one of these summers I'm going to cave...

Aug 8, 07 10:44 pm  · 
 · 
THEaquino

After living in Boston for two years I finally understand the meaning of "dry heat". Coming from California I thought 100 out there was hot, but i'll take a dry 100 over a "wet" 80 ANY DAY. I just came back from a wedding in California where it was 100, but it was nothing compred to landing in Boston where it was 83 and sticky. The biggest thing I hate is how the humidity creates a lack of a day-night temp. swing. In CA, or Oregon where I went to school, it could cool off by 20 degrees at night. About a week ago I remember a pretty sweet 3 DEGREE difference between high and low temp here....WTF????

I'm so glad i have AC....but i still take 3 showers on some days...and it's not enough.

I hate humidity

Aug 9, 07 12:55 am  · 
 · 
grid

I hate when it's 110+ in Phoenix, Vegas, etc and people on the phone far far away say "it's a dry heat - so that can't be too bad." When a breeze only makes you feel worse that is a problem. Some people have to experience it to understand.

Aug 9, 07 2:04 am  · 
 · 
Travis Woodward

Humidity anywhere in the US is amplified several if not 100's of percent in Asia.

The first time I came to Japan, that wall of sticky humidity (jime jime as it's called) was terrible. That and they don't have very good AC infrastructure. bleah...

Aug 9, 07 2:50 am  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

yeah, dry heat is so much better than the heat/humidity combo. i remember when i went to Utah last june and the relatives were complaining about the heat, i told them they were crazy, 90 and dry is way nicer than 92 with humidity.....here in the Twin Cities the complaints are the same, but it's still nothing like it was yesterday in NYC....

Aug 9, 07 3:59 am  · 
 · 
Medusa

When I was in Cuba one summer, I went to the Bellamar Caves, where it was about 110 degrees with humidity at 98%. When I emerged from the cave, the normal hot and humid Caribbean air felt like air conditioning.

Aug 9, 07 5:52 am  · 
 · 
vado retro

so the heat advisory continues etc...so i come into work early to beat the heat and the first thing i do is??? thats right make a steaming pot of coffee. go figure.

Aug 9, 07 8:17 am  · 
 · 
rfuller

We have actually had a pleasant summer here in Lubbock, TX. This is the first week the temps have reached the high 90's. Still no 100's. A typical summer in Lubbock will give you a month to a month and a half of weather in the 100's.

I did, however, work at a summer camp the past 7 summers, that's down in a big, Texas Canyon. Temps would reach 105-110 most days of the summer. Humidity off the stream and freshly watered lawns would bring your heat index to 115 most days. It was down in a canyon, so there was no wind, and for the first 3 years I worked there the guys had to stay in old barracks from the Japanese Internment Camps. We had the luxury of swamp coolers. Not complaining, that's just the hottest I've ever been.

I would just like to reiterate the baby powder thing. Actually I prefer Goldbond Triple Strength. It's like angel kisses.

Aug 9, 07 9:22 am  · 
 · 
vado retro

do they have a buddy holly museum in lubbock?

Aug 9, 07 9:35 am  · 
 · 
rfuller

Absolutely

!

Aug 9, 07 9:40 am  · 
 · 
vado retro

oh boy!

Aug 9, 07 9:46 am  · 
 · 
archbert

Right now (9:45 am) it is 87 here in the office, 82 outside with a projected high near 100 and humidity in the 90's. The planned, but still not executed, remodel of the office includes a new HVAC system. Apparenly the owners of the building didn't think AC was necessary on the top floors. Needless to say, most people are in shorts and some are starting to remove articles of clothing.

Aug 9, 07 9:47 am  · 
 · 
Ms Beary

I love the dry heat compared to that nasty humid heat, I can't complain at all. All you do is go in the shade and you're fine.

Aug 9, 07 9:47 am  · 
 · 
rfuller

When you're with me,
Oh boy!
The world will see,
That you
Were Meant
For me.

My mom's uncle used to kick his ass in high school, too. Now he owns a sizable chunk of Melrose and used to live down the street from Michael Eisner before Eisner moved. And Buddy's dead.

Advantage: Uncle Don.

Aug 9, 07 9:51 am  · 
 · 
vado retro

physically dead but an icon forever.

Aug 9, 07 9:57 am  · 
 · 
rfuller

true. Personally I kind of wish i didn't grow up being bombarded with everything buddy holly. I think I would have a greater appreciation of his work. I fully understand the importance, but I've grown rather sick of it.

I work no more than 1500 feet from this statue:

Aug 9, 07 10:03 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: