Archinect
anchor

The Shepherd opening Detroit 18 May 2024

Went to the opening on Saturday and it was glorious. There are sop many interesting and cool things happening in Detroit. And I can say this: of all the Midwestern cities I go to regularly Detroiters are *definitely* the most stylish dressers. 

My husband's company Ignition Arts designed, fabricated, and installed the Charles McGee sculptures. Charles approved them shortly before his passing and the McGee family *wants* them to be played on, so please touch! 

I'll put pics in this thread.

May 20, 24 4:43 pm

Dance performance around the McGee sculptures.

May 20, 24 4:45 pm  · 
2  · 

Photo spot - panels based on Charles McGee's drawings.

May 20, 24 4:46 pm  · 
1  · 

Inside the sanctuary. The white boxes are galleries. The whole interior appears whitewashed? Except for the column capitals which are ceramic, I assume by Pewabic as the tiles behind the former altar are by Pewabic.

May 20, 24 4:47 pm  · 
1  · 

The mezzanine is on top of one of the gallery boxes and has a viewing port.

May 20, 24 4:48 pm  · 
 · 

Lovely minimal stair winding up to the mezzanine.

May 20, 24 4:48 pm  · 
1  · 

The whole place is done with topnotch attention to detail, material, and craft. My only complaint is this stair detail: it's actually only one read but the floor color change makes it read as two. I've never been a fan of this kind of color/material change at a step (also, no handrails).

May 20, 24 4:51 pm  · 
1  · 
luvu

Anti slip nosing / tactile indicator / handrails arent enforced in American building code for public buildings ? ( sorry "International " i should say ... :)

May 21, 24 10:04 pm  · 
 · 

They generally are, but somehow this one wasn't required to comply.

May 23, 24 2:54 pm  · 
1  · 

Absolutely perfect detail where the HVAC blows out into the sanctuary. This is looking down at the top of a fixed table made of granite with the perforated stainless covering the register.

May 20, 24 4:53 pm  · 
1  · 

Back outside, HC parking sign. Quiet. The landscaping is so gorgeous.

May 20, 24 4:54 pm  · 
 · 

The wrapping porch by Undecorated is SO WELL DONE. It's absolutely delightful and perfectly designed. At the far end it overlooks the Tony Hawk-designed skate park.

May 20, 24 4:57 pm  · 
 · 

Tony Hawk was there! He's laughing at himself here after biffing a trick. He was adorable. In the background is a blind skater. Hashtag architecture for everyone! It was SO hot at the opening but was a totally perfect event.

May 20, 24 4:59 pm  · 
6  · 

Yeah my pictures are terrible. I wasn't even drunk! They actually ran out of cocktails, something like 5,000 people showed up when they only expected 2,000.

May 21, 24 3:39 pm  · 
 · 
Archinect

Thank you for sharing!

May 21, 24 4:17 pm  · 
1  · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: