Archinect
anchor

2008 M.Arch applicants, commiserate here!

asbuckeye07

This two month wait miiight kill me. I just want to know what northeastern city Im going to end up in (or which one Im going to stay in).

Jan 13, 08 12:22 pm  · 
 · 
BabbleBeautiful

nice YbTH, your portfolio is quite appealing to go through.

Jan 13, 08 3:44 pm  · 
 · 
BabbleBeautiful

here's my final: http://trafati.googlepages.com/Portfolio9x7v3NS.pdf

Jan 13, 08 3:45 pm  · 
 · 
ff33º

afrdzak,
your portfolio is nice. I like the 3d diagragm of your life. I think its a nice touch. You seem to have a style to your thoughts, it seems. I bet it goes over well with admissions. Does you essay play into it, as well?

Jan 14, 08 9:34 am  · 
 · 
BabbleBeautiful

thanks ff.
I never really though about it, but looking back at it now, my personal statement has a similar style and could tie into it. My statement of purpose, not so much.

Jan 14, 08 11:37 am  · 
 · 
franciscoalarcon

Afr I havent seen your portfolio yet cause I am connected thru a bberry and it is too large to get it. I will take a look soon.

What universities require the personal statement? And you know if I could give the material tomorrow in person to Pratt and Columbia? I arrived yesterday to NY and currently writing the statment of porouse in mildford hotel...

Jan 14, 08 12:05 pm  · 
 · 
BabbleBeautiful

welcome to the states YbTH. Out of the schools that I have applied, only Berkeley requires a Personal History Statement in addition to a Statement of Purpose.

You should be able to drop it off in person on the day of the deadline as it's the same as having it mailed out (postmarked) on that day, which schools accept.

Jan 14, 08 12:08 pm  · 
 · 
franciscoalarcon

Purpose .. (Multitap...)

Jan 14, 08 12:09 pm  · 
 · 
franciscoalarcon

Tank you. That's cool. And you know if SCI require two copies of the portfolio? I got in trouble with the printing and several copies of my portfolio seem as a economic printing mode. It is disgusting. And in the place were I ordered the binding they did it fast and with out take the enough care. I want to cry ... Too much working and have it after all

Jan 14, 08 12:16 pm  · 
 · 
franciscoalarcon

Fucking multitap I want my money back

Jan 14, 08 12:18 pm  · 
 · 
ff33º

all schools require an essay of some sort, whether you call is an SoP or aPersonal whatever.
(I hear its good to mention specifics of the school your applying to)

Jan 14, 08 12:20 pm  · 
 · 
citrus.grey

YBTH, if I understand what you're asking, SCI-Arc doesn't require two copies of your portfolio. I've never heard of any institute requiring two portfolios.

Jan 14, 08 4:20 pm  · 
 · 
franciscoalarcon

They put clear "two" samples of creative work.

Jan 14, 08 7:32 pm  · 
 · 
citrus.grey

I'm not sure where you're getting that from but I assume they're asking you for at least two samples of creative work documented within your portfolio. According to both their website and application form the application requirements are:

Completed application form
Portfolio of work
Statement of purpose
Résumé or curriculum vitae, if applicable
Three letters of recommendation (no SCI-Arc cover letter required)
Official transcripts
Test scores, if applicable (SAT or ACT, GRE) (GRE school code: 2781)
$60 application fee
TOEFL (international students only) (TOEFL school code: 7802)

Jan 14, 08 7:51 pm  · 
 · 
franciscoalarcon

Someone knows if it is possible to pay the application fee in the Columbia Admissions office?

stric.grey / For me was strange the requirement of just 2 creative works .... I have put too much more in my portfolio and I am extremly worried.

Jan 14, 08 11:11 pm  · 
 · 
franciscoalarcon

ff. The castle you told me I should leave out of the portfolio is not an architectural creation. It is a simulation of an historical building located next to my town. I had not a real picture of that and I did not want to use one from another person.

If you want to see pictures of the castle look for "castillo macenas" in images on google and you will take something similar. :)

Jan 14, 08 11:17 pm  · 
 · 
citrus.grey

Don't worry about having more than two projects in your portfolio YbTH, they're not requiring just two projects, this is just a minimum they posted on their website. I've never seen a portfolio in my life with just two creative works in it, far more are recommended and expected.

Jan 14, 08 11:37 pm  · 
 · 
citrus.grey

And to answer your other question, no the GSAPP's fee can only be paid via their online system.

Jan 14, 08 11:55 pm  · 
 · 
futurist

afrdzak , nice folio...what dimensions is that? 9 x 7 or so? I like the compact design. I'm going for a similar size, maybe even smaller.

YbTH - more than anything, I liked the words in your folio. Somewhat poetic. I'm also trying to tie in some of my experienes, viewpoints, for mine. Nice to see some mixed media out there too.

After this month, I think I'll breath easier. I just got to get my folio finished! (down to the wire).

Jan 15, 08 4:26 pm  · 
 · 
rob(E)

not to gloat but im done whoooo hooooo! mailed out the last ones a day or two ago...i think ill sleep now. Good luck to the rest of you crazy kids

Jan 15, 08 5:02 pm  · 
 · 
futurist

You guys using InDesign?

Jan 15, 08 5:04 pm  · 
 · 
asbuckeye07

I use illustrator and photoshoppe

Jan 15, 08 5:05 pm  · 
 · 
rob(E)

I micro manage in illustrator and photshop then pdf and layout that shit in indesign...works pretty well, i dont do any text in indesign though...

Jan 15, 08 5:09 pm  · 
 · 
ff33º

When peopelm ask me what software i used on my portfolio,..I usually say "all of them."

Jan 15, 08 5:15 pm  · 
 · 
snarkitekt

just curious, why not do text in indesign? it seems like your best option as far as printing goes....

Jan 15, 08 5:16 pm  · 
 · 
BabbleBeautiful

futurist: yeah, the one I posted is 9"L x 7"W. I used InDesign and Photoshop.

Jan 15, 08 5:44 pm  · 
 · 
BabbleBeautiful

and I am officially DONE!

Jan 15, 08 5:44 pm  · 
 · 
franciscoalarcon

Just I left the material in Columbia and Pratt in person. FedEx to sci, RISD, and Cornell. Next stop Parsons and syracuse.

Columbia is amazing. Pratt environment is really cool. Too many girls ... Excelent. It is kind of opposite universities.

Well .. And in Columbia they left my material over a lot they had everywhere... They did not care and were too much busy. But in Pratt the treatment have been wonderful.

Jan 15, 08 8:13 pm  · 
 · 
franciscoalarcon

I used InDesign to mount everything.

You guys do not recommend me to print a couple of copies of my portfolio in Kinkos? They have a good sale with color copies. I do not know to use blurb. Or other online printer. What do you recommend me?

Jan 15, 08 8:21 pm  · 
 · 
BabbleBeautiful

Considering the deadline is today, your only options are Kinkos, Staples, OfficeMac, or OfficeDepot.

Jan 15, 08 8:23 pm  · 
 · 
BabbleBeautiful

OfficeMax*

Jan 15, 08 8:23 pm  · 
 · 
franciscoalarcon

The deadline for Parsons and Syracuse is 1 of Feb

Jan 15, 08 8:29 pm  · 
 · 
BabbleBeautiful

those are still my recommendations because I don't know the local print shops in NY.

Jan 15, 08 8:35 pm  · 
 · 
franciscoalarcon

I am leaving nyc in a couple of days to las cruces, new Mexico. Over there I think kinkos will be the unique option. I will ask anyway.

What about the online services as blurb or the rest? The worst is I have to change the format of the portfolio to print overthere

Jan 15, 08 8:41 pm  · 
 · 
BabbleBeautiful

blurb has their own interface where you build your portfolio and you might not like it, but check it out. Plus turn around time might be an issue.

There's also lulu.com.

Jan 15, 08 8:44 pm  · 
 · 
e28

I just love when I overnight something that is supposed to arrive by noon the next day and then I go to track it and it only made it as far as the post office in that city

Jan 15, 08 9:02 pm  · 
 · 
asbuckeye07

ABC imaging, Im pretty sure they're in NYC. They can do it in one day and do a fantastic job (downside: expensive). I wouldnt trust kinkos officmax, or any of those other places with a document like this, IMO.

Jan 15, 08 9:05 pm  · 
 · 
laurilan

do not go to kinkos!!!

Jan 16, 08 8:31 am  · 
 · 
nnoraa

ybth and afrdzak,... your portfolios are amazing.. they make mine look like complete garbage.. hah

i got my portfolio printer out at print icon on w18 and 5th ave.. they are really good and fast.. pricey though.. but worth it.

Jan 16, 08 5:12 pm  · 
 · 
franciscoalarcon

Norita thank. I am leaving tomorrow. After all The day in Moma i am absolutely tired in the bed of the hotel.

Where are you applying? May I see your portfolio?

Jan 16, 08 5:17 pm  · 
 · 
futurist

I've decided to go with lulu.com to print and bind my folio. They seem to be a quality shop. I'm going with the wraparound cover too. I'm just going to upload a PDF in one of their designated sizes (likely 9x7 or square 8.5x8.5) I also like the 'perfect' and 'casewrap' styles of binding. Likely I will use either perfect or saddle stitch. Once I have my PDF finished it is off to lulu.com. Not a bad deal...likely around $20/book.

Blurb doesn't look to be as professional, but I hope lulu does the job.

my checklist is nearly finshed:

x 3 references from profs
x personal statement (haven't decided to include this in the final folio)
x transcripts
x application and fee
- folio

almost there!!!

Jan 16, 08 5:32 pm  · 
 · 
franciscoalarcon

Will you send out straight to the school from lulu or firstly to your self.
I am considering also lulu for the last two applications but I do not know how long time it takes and how to upload a 40 megs pdf file...

Jan 16, 08 5:38 pm  · 
 · 
sunsetsam

ybTH, I went to kinko's to print my portfolio. But what I did is that-THAT kinkos had a Sony Printing Station, I am not sure if others have them.

My portfolio is also due Feb 1st, Ill be sending it out some time next week. But Back to the printing station,

PROS: High Quality prints . (VERY HIGH QUALITY)

CONS: The pages get stuck to each other quite easily.
The pricing. 8 x10 = $5.24.
No Rooms for errors.

Jan 16, 08 5:43 pm  · 
 · 
futurist

YbTH - I'm going to have 2 sent to me directly, in 2 different binding styles (perfect stitch and saddle stitch). The one I think looks best, I will send out.

Jan 17, 08 12:34 pm  · 
 · 
BabbleBeautiful

If you decide to use lulu, make sure to not use their cheapest postal service.

Jan 17, 08 12:36 pm  · 
 · 
franciscoalarcon

Afrdzak - have you used lulu before? I have to change the dimensions of the portfolio and I am not trusting in they are going to print out well pages with out margins

Jan 17, 08 12:47 pm  · 
 · 
BabbleBeautiful

I have used it, and it took a couple of tries to get it just right.

Jan 17, 08 12:49 pm  · 
 · 
boxy

i just received an email from GSD saying that they received my portfolio. I don't know if that's a good or bad thing considering that it's Jan. 17th.

Jan 17, 08 3:09 pm  · 
 · 
asbuckeye07

I did too, and I sent it about a month ago. They probably just haven't gotten to it until now.

Jan 17, 08 3:11 pm  · 
 · 
j2h

Hey guys, I got the same email and sent my portfolio in about month ago as well, and since they didn't open the office until Jan. 2, i'm sure asbuckeye07 is right

Jan 17, 08 3:37 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: