Archinect
anchor

2008 M.Arch applicants, commiserate here!

asbuckeye07

pretty sure the average acceptance rate for arch schools is around 10-15%.

Jan 3, 08 5:47 pm  · 
 · 
asbuckeye07

I sent 10 portfolios, so I should be fine

Jan 3, 08 5:59 pm  · 
 · 
BabbleBeautiful

10 of the same work? ;-)

Jan 3, 08 6:00 pm  · 
 · 
asbuckeye07

No I had to space my work out, fill the rest in with work from rem and officeda.

Jan 3, 08 6:04 pm  · 
 · 
BabbleBeautiful

rem and officeda? You're def not getting in now.

Jan 3, 08 6:06 pm  · 
 · 
asbuckeye07

crap, I knew I shouldve used zaha's stuff

Jan 3, 08 7:23 pm  · 
 · 
ff33º

Someone posted this a while back...

http://archrecord.construction.com/features/EducationChart/EducationChart_AL.asp#c

asbuckeye07,

canI see your portfolio...?

Jan 3, 08 7:23 pm  · 
 · 
ff33º

has acceptances percentages of all schools?..good for when you feeling blue...unless of course your applying to Yale...9%...ouch!

Jan 3, 08 7:24 pm  · 
 · 
asbuckeye07

ff33,

I wouldnt mind posting it, but how would one go about doing that?

Jan 3, 08 7:26 pm  · 
 · 
BabbleBeautiful

Wasn't there a very informative excel sheet posted somewhere? It feels more accurate and complete then that on ArchRecord.

Jan 3, 08 7:31 pm  · 
 · 
ff33º

oh...

I must have missed that spreadsheet...

anyway..I propose to share ports,..if you people on this thread so much lately (like afrdzak , asbukeye,..or anyone else out there...) are game...I am just curious how my peers are looking these days amidst the big send off...

Here is mine, if you care...
http://www.box.net/shared/static/k73tqwm0cc.pdf

(asbuckeye, If you want to share yours..you can also use this free file sharing trial..
https://www.box.net/signup/individual

or flickr or somthing?)

Jan 3, 08 11:40 pm  · 
 · 
asbuckeye07

Yeah Ill see what I can do (think I have a webshots account still).

Just finished my last application last night, phew...all done.

Jan 4, 08 7:25 am  · 
 · 
asbuckeye07

cool portfolio ff, it's much different than mine (then again I feel that way about everyone I see). Its got a sort of futuristic, morphosis-like quality to it. And you did the decathlon twice!

Jan 4, 08 7:29 am  · 
 · 
asbuckeye07

ok here's mine:

http://www.box.net/shared/d12s1ybcwg

Jan 4, 08 7:44 am  · 
 · 
laurilan

and here's mine. i feel mine is also very different as well. both of yours look very good - where are you both applying again?

http://www.box.net/shared/a9bkjb08wk

Jan 4, 08 8:16 am  · 
 · 
laurilan

i guess i should answer my own question?

well, if anyone cares:

u of cincinnati
u of south florida
nc state
lawrence tech university

Jan 4, 08 8:48 am  · 
 · 
asbuckeye07

im applying to:
princeton, yale, harvard, uva

Jan 4, 08 9:30 am  · 
 · 
asbuckeye07

laurilan...yeah its different, other than the cruciform thing at the beginning (nice touch!). Ha, I did that velux light competition in school too, it was my worst project ever so I omitted it. All and all cool work, whats up with that one at the end? Is it getting built? Pretty cool, I passed up an opportunity to work with Arquetectonica...probably a bad move.

Jan 4, 08 9:40 am  · 
 · 
laurilan

i wish it was getting built, but no - nixed at 100% cds. it was cool to work with digital project, though. and get to detail something as crazy as that.

Jan 4, 08 9:49 am  · 
 · 
ff33º

nice one asbuckeye. I like that last project alot! I started to look for structural details....you could have really gone a long way with I think.
(semesters always end too soon...)

laurilen, very nice as well..your florida turnpike was awesome..I wish I could see more of it..but you got some nice details in there too.

anyway..I guess, I am going for SCI Arc, UT , UCLA, MIT, and Columbia.

(I was goging to fire off a Yale ap. today...but ..I have doubts..for soem reason.)

Jan 4, 08 9:50 am  · 
 · 
asbuckeye07

oh that was done on DP? ouch, I tried that program out once but my head almost exploded trying to grasp it.

Jan 4, 08 9:51 am  · 
 · 
asbuckeye07

ff33, exactly what my jury said. At OSU we had quarters (10 weeks), and that project's conceptual stage took over half of one...that left 5weeks to design a 1 million sqft. highrise with as shaky of an idea as possible.

Jan 4, 08 9:54 am  · 
 · 
laurilan

oh and a funny story - why to never print at kinko's.

so, my bf got this free printer when he got a mac - epson cx4200. nice little inkjet printer. prints borderless. i got some good matte photo paper and i was pretty happy about the way it looked.

so, i take it to kinko's to get it bound. they ended up looking at it a little bit when i was wandering around the store.

so when i come back to pay, they ask me where i had gotten it printed at... so, i told them about the free printer.

quote of the day:

"wow, i really thought that was professionally printed. i mean, we can't do anything like that here at kinko's."

Jan 4, 08 9:58 am  · 
 · 
laurilan

dp isn't too bad - all about organization. once you get the hang of it, it makes so much more sense than most of the other programs i've used (3d max, form-z, etc.)

but the rendering capabilities are nil. i had to render stuff in 3d max.

Jan 4, 08 10:01 am  · 
 · 
asbuckeye07

haha. "why to never print at kinko's" - self-explanitory

Jan 4, 08 10:01 am  · 
 · 
jehappel

I'm having a good time as a non pre-prof M.Arch applicant looking at your portfolios and then shitting my pants when I think of what mine is going to look like in comparison.

Jan 4, 08 10:04 am  · 
 · 
asbuckeye07

jeh, the people looking at them though, look at non-arch background ports v. arch background ports in completely different lights.

Jan 4, 08 10:06 am  · 
 · 
jehappel

I hear ya OSU - I'm also interested in pursuing a preservation certificate and getting into restoration work. Two years as a historic preservation consultant and an MS in Urban Studies from the same school should help me out. I just get stressed about having nothing visual to show. It's hilarious to pull out my old drawings from Tulane Architecture School that are now 10 years old...times have changed, but I guess that's why I'm looking to go back.

Jan 4, 08 10:11 am  · 
 · 
asbuckeye07

old drawings? probably hand drawn?...shoe-in for a place like uva. Id be more afraid of being someone like me with a portfolio that could be viewed as pigeon-holed into the nowness of digital design. just a thought.

Jan 4, 08 10:15 am  · 
 · 
jehappel

Unfortunately, I was so sick of carrying around crumpled up vellum drawings in a tube, that I threw those in bad shape out, including a cool design problem based on Mies' Farnsworth House. All I have left is a cemetery design on the site of the Battle of New Orleans, that's in the worst possible scale for reproduction. My only option at this point is to take a good digital photo of it. I'm applying to UW-Milwaukee and plan on spending the rest of my life in Wisconsin, so I think most of my professional ambitions will be well-suited to a school that produces the majority of WI architects. Did I mention I just got married? I think I've lost my mind.

Jan 4, 08 10:22 am  · 
 · 
asbuckeye07

as long as she's not an architect, you'll be fine.

Jan 4, 08 10:27 am  · 
 · 
jehappel

Very true. She's in advertising, but not a creative, so our egos shouldn't clash too much, and I'll still get the free hook ups on Packers tickets.

Jan 4, 08 10:31 am  · 
 · 
asbuckeye07

Well good choice then, except for the packers...go 'skins

Jan 4, 08 10:34 am  · 
 · 
jehappel

Yes, go 'skins indeed, right through Dallas and into Lambeau. At risk of getting way off topic, I'll end it there. Good luck to you all in your apps, and thanks for the reassurance buckeye.

Jan 4, 08 10:40 am  · 
 · 
snarkitekt

asbuckeye, i wouldn't worry too much about uva pigeonholing you - they've certainly got a rep for being all-hand-drawn, all-the-time, but there are really only one or two profs there who still want students to work that way. your portfolio shows plenty of evidence of process/design investigation, and that's a lot of what they'll be looking for. there are some great hotshot young faculty there (nataly gattegno springs to mind) who are totally into the potential of digital investigation.

looks like you and i are going for a lot of the same schools, i sent apps to princeton, gsd, yale, uc berkeley, and ut austin. would have included uva but i went there for undergrad and much as i'd love to live in c-ville again, i think some new perspectives will do me good.

Jan 4, 08 11:32 am  · 
 · 
asbuckeye07

snar, well I certainly hope they feel the same way. Its not that I wouldnt want to design that way either, bring on hand-drawings, its just my undergrad fancied themselves a mini-columbia type school.

you know, you are literally the 5th uva person ive heard in the past two months avoiding the grad school because they went there as undergrads. Interesting. Im avoiding OSU grad's program like the plague...probably for different reasons though. I also live in VA, so uva's a sort of "safety" (although its not really).

Jan 4, 08 11:40 am  · 
 · 
snarkitekt

ideologically uva is everything i'm looking for in a grad program (intense, non-prescriptive, projects ranging from the highly theoretical to real design-build, etc.), the only reason i'm not applying is that the best faculty members teach both undergrad and grad so i'd probably have a lot of repeats. not that i couldn't still learn a ton from them, but....

Jan 4, 08 12:00 pm  · 
 · 
laurilan

snark - i think you're totally correct in applying to different places. all of my professors recommended this as well. i feel the same way about my undergrad - really respected my professors and know i could learn a lot more from them, but need to move on.

asbuckeye - does osu still do that whole ridiculous thing of if you don't "pass" your final project, you don't graduate? i knew a couple of people who went there for undergrad, but wouldn't attend grad. there.

i could never go there - but that's mainly fueled by my youngest sister's obnoxious osu school spirit :)

Jan 4, 08 12:17 pm  · 
 · 
asbuckeye07

laur, they have exit reviews (basically a crit on steroids of your career work) which if you dont pass, then yes you dont graduate. I didnt realize that was unique to osu...also, out of about two dozen only one didnt pass this year (and the student, an arch history TA, didnt know what villa savoy was, so there.)

osu students were pretty protoypical midwestern, football-crazy types. but that didnt translate to the arch school. architecture students still had that same sense of undeserved elitism they have everywhere.

Jan 4, 08 12:26 pm  · 
 · 
jehappel

An arch history TA who doesn't know Villa Savoy? My undergrad prof worshiped Corbu so much he made the electronic combination to the arch school building his birthday...so if you ever happen to be at Tulane and wanna sneak into Richardson Hall, it's 1006 on the keypad, but you didn't hear it from me.

Jan 4, 08 12:31 pm  · 
 · 
asbuckeye07

yeah it was strange as my entire undergrad faculty worshiped him (one professor actually worked for him and finished his church in Firminy just last year). I just dont know how you could not know one of the most iconic pieces of modern architecture when you go to a school that bills itself modern. But, he was an aberration, all and all really smart people there.

Jan 4, 08 12:37 pm  · 
 · 
laurilan

i don't know if it was him i heard about or someone else - granted this is all information passed on from an osu alum. most of the indignation is not really mine, but her's.

Jan 4, 08 12:43 pm  · 
 · 
ripomatic

so do schools notify you if they don't receive all of the required application material, or do they just count you out of the running?

...read too may stories on this site about how schools misplace/never get material.

Jan 5, 08 1:24 pm  · 
 · 
ff33º

I am working under the assumption that if i missed something, other thans the application itself, and my protfolio, the school would keep my app in consideration but give me a chance to send it in.

This may sound wrong, but I haven't ever heard of apps actually being rejected for small things being late or missing...moreover, if , like my scores, or transcripts or LoR are a little late..and they want tot kick me out of the running for it, the i probably don'it want to go to their slly school anyway,.

it woudl be nice to hear from someone that states the contrary.

Jan 5, 08 1:50 pm  · 
 · 
toasteroven

ff33 - ripomatic - yes - some schools will send you a confirmation e-mail saying they received all of the materials or if they are missing something. I just got mine from the GSD yesterday.

but - I'd give a call or e-mail to check-in if you are really concerned... it probably won't hurt.

-to

Jan 5, 08 6:53 pm  · 
 · 
ff33º

I am so over this bs,....

I have finally finished all my shit..here is my final list

MIT
UCLA
Columbia
Yale
Sci Arc
UT
UO

Feels like a beefy enough list, I guess
..and i know I missed something somehwere.

Jan 5, 08 8:42 pm  · 
 · 
laurilan

i agree about calling - i know that the university of cincinnati sent out confirmation emails last year letting you know what you were still missing. their application dealine has come and gone (MAYBE - one part of the website says jan 1st, the other says feb 1st), however, and i still haven't recieved an email this year.

but one of the other schools i applied to didn't let you know and i was missing something. i only happened to discover this by calling and checking. not sure if they ever would have contacted me.

i'd def call and check...

Jan 7, 08 7:40 am  · 
 · 
BabbleBeautiful

Here's my list:

Berkeley
UCLA
Cornell
Michigan
RISD
Virginia Tech
Syracuse

I'm a M.Arch (first professional, non-arch background) applicant.

Does anyone know if our applications are reviewed in the order recieved?

Jan 7, 08 12:05 pm  · 
 · 
jehappel

afrdzak, I'm in the same boat...what's your educational and professional background and what did you include in your portfolio? I'm finishing mine this week/weekend, but am able to walk it in by the due date since I live here so I can cut it close.

Jan 7, 08 12:10 pm  · 
 · 
BabbleBeautiful

My background is in Information Systems (I.T.) - a far cry from Architecture. All my work is from fine arts classes I have taken in the past 3 years.

Jan 7, 08 12:17 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: