Archinect
anchor

2008 M.Arch applicants, commiserate here!

nnoraa

i hate this waiting around process. it sucks.

Jan 28, 08 3:14 pm  · 
 · 
franciscoalarcon

Norita lets go have sex. It will be fine for this waiting.

Jan 28, 08 3:25 pm  · 
 · 
brer

Good to see people keeping their sexual solicitations in the correct place.

Jan 28, 08 4:18 pm  · 
 · 
franciscoalarcon

0_o

Jan 28, 08 4:22 pm  · 
 · 
laurilan

this waiting does suck. i couldn't sleep last night.

finally, 4 hours before i had to go to work, i drifted off.

you know what's really sad? i ended up reading my land use/planning law book and THAT didn't even put me to sleep. amazing.

ugh. i can't wait to move on with my life.

Jan 28, 08 4:30 pm  · 
 · 
BabbleBeautiful

I say, lets have an orgy, but only me and the women applicants. This will definately kill time.

Joking aside, I'm not going to fret it until mid-March when I get my first letter. There's no point to lose sleep over it since it's out of our control now.

Jan 28, 08 4:36 pm  · 
 · 
franciscoalarcon

afrdzak. Last orgy I had was amazing but with Master of Government applicant girls ....

Who can tell me how I will know if I am admitted or not?

Jan 28, 08 4:39 pm  · 
 · 
BabbleBeautiful

I can.

Jan 28, 08 4:47 pm  · 
 · 
franciscoalarcon

So ... May you tell me how?

Jan 28, 08 4:52 pm  · 
 · 
BabbleBeautiful

They will mail you a letter of acceptance or decline. I have heard in the past that the accepted applicant was calledby someone from the department.

Jan 28, 08 5:26 pm  · 
 · 
boxy

just received an email from UCLA saying that my application is incomplete because I didn't submit a writing sample. what the eff is that? why would they even need it?

Jan 28, 08 6:37 pm  · 
 · 
asbuckeye07

uva had an architectural essay in addition to the statement of intent...maybe ucla had a similar thing. writing sample also sounds like they might have you confused with someone applying for phd or something though.

Jan 28, 08 6:43 pm  · 
 · 
BabbleBeautiful

yeah, writing sample def not a part of the M.Arch I application.

Jan 28, 08 6:49 pm  · 
 · 
boxy

just called them. they thought i was applying for a masters in arts: architecture as opposed to the m.arch 1. so it's all good now. i've never even heard of the former. what's the difference?

Jan 28, 08 7:02 pm  · 
 · 
boxy

just called them. they thought i was applying for a masters in arts: architecture as opposed to the m.arch 1. so it's all good now. i've never even heard of the former. what's the difference?

Jan 28, 08 7:02 pm  · 
 · 
BabbleBeautiful

M.Arch is a professional degree accredited by the NAAB, permitting you to apply and test for licensure. Masters in Arts, Architecture, is not.

Jan 28, 08 7:07 pm  · 
 · 
ff33º

Princeton sends rejections via email.

Jan 28, 08 7:09 pm  · 
 · 
asbuckeye07

surprised I haven't gotten mine yet

Jan 28, 08 8:18 pm  · 
 · 
ki

uva has for long been having an arch. essay in their appl. requirement. it apparently tells them about our architectural vocabulary, maturity levels, interests and i felt it did make my appl. stronger because the SOP is too brief to tell them fully about me .....
morever it also tells them, whether we take their appl. seriously and spend time on it or just send the same stuff to all univ!!..... my opinion though

Jan 28, 08 8:37 pm  · 
 · 
asbuckeye07

I actually had fun writing mine. I wrote about the apartment complex I grew up in as a kid.

Jan 28, 08 9:22 pm  · 
 · 
franciscoalarcon

In the future I'd like to be at one of the admissions comite.

Jan 28, 08 9:28 pm  · 
 · 
boxy

isn't there a better way than asking for an architecture essay? schools should have an architecture decathlon--american gladiator style.

Jan 28, 08 9:30 pm  · 
 · 
nnoraa

orgies and architecture decathlon? heh, that sounds amazing.

doesn't the university of applied arts in vienna have some sort of vigorous application procedure like that where you have to go in person for some three day "test".

btw, that 2nd essay requirement for uva really pissed me off when i realized i have somehow overlooked it. there was no way, i swear they snuck that onto their website last minute. haha

Jan 28, 08 11:34 pm  · 
 · 
ff33º

Why do you guys like UVA so much?

Jan 28, 08 11:41 pm  · 
 · 
nnoraa

it's supposed to be a great program. for me though, when it comes down to it - i rather stay in new york.

Jan 28, 08 11:52 pm  · 
 · 
asbuckeye07

Im legally a resident of VA (parents), so it just worked out well. It is one of the country's top programs. Also, when I looked at it, it was nice that they dont look like all the other programs. All of the columbia's, upenn's, sci arc's, etc. start to look the same to me (not that they're not great programs)

Jan 29, 08 7:40 am  · 
 · 
ks1000

mid to late march eh? so a month and some... tic toc goes the clock. not so long now.

Jan 30, 08 10:49 pm  · 
 · 
franciscoalarcon

I have been looking around the 2007 M.Arch applicants and March is gonna be funny.

Early to mid march a lot of "got in ..." and mid to late a lot of "nothing yet...."

Jan 30, 08 11:37 pm  · 
 · 
franciscoalarcon

ks1000 did you apply to somewhere?

Jan 30, 08 11:49 pm  · 
 · 
stargazer

Two of my teachers are yet to submit my reference letters for applying MArch08 no matter they are paper reference or online reference. They are probably too busy although I've reminded them for many times.

All the deadlines have passed weeks ago. Does anyone know about the adverse effect? Has such a matter happened to anyone of you or your friends before?

Jan 31, 08 8:15 am  · 
 · 
ks1000

indeed I am. several schools.

Jan 31, 08 9:49 am  · 
 · 
nnoraa

oh man, that pisses me off when professors just blow off letters of rec. thats their job. they're not THAT busy, i'm sure they have a template already written up and all they have to do is put in your name or something.

Jan 31, 08 10:04 am  · 
 · 
citrus.grey

Normally late rec letters don't seem to be a huge deal as the schools spend a few weeks sorting applications and reminding people of loose threads. But that said, I think the sorting period is just about over which means they should be reviewing any time now.

Jan 31, 08 11:45 am  · 
 · 
asbuckeye07

its out of your hands, im not sure how they could fault you on the incompetence of others. I have one prof. who, according to princeton's website, failed to send his LOR. the weird thing is he sent the other three schools his letter. maybe princetons website is not up to date? but with that, my other recs. for that school were reflected immediately. anyone else having similar issues? worst case scenario I request 4 people to write recs for that prog. its just he's an alum and a big name, would kind suck to loss some of that pull.

Jan 31, 08 11:51 am  · 
 · 
boxy

michael--keep bothering them. it's not like you asked them to do this last second, right? I still think you have time--I just talked to UCLA (with an application due date of Dec. 15) and they're only in the middle of organizing everyone's applications.

Jan 31, 08 11:51 am  · 
 · 
citrus.grey

The whole rec letter thing was pretty annoying, it's true that professors are busy but it's not like we didn't have anything else to do all those sleepless nights we spent in their studios.

Jan 31, 08 11:55 am  · 
 · 
BabbleBeautiful

One of my professors said she would do it. Then she decided to drop off the face of the earth.

Also, my current supervisor has yet to submit for two of my prospective schools.

Jan 31, 08 11:58 am  · 
 · 
asbuckeye07

yeah profs are busy and all, but there's something fundamentally wrong when you agree to do something, and just dont do it.

Jan 31, 08 11:59 am  · 
 · 
laurilan

yeah - you either agree to do it or you don't.

i know from an experience last yr. that one of my professors told me he couldn't write me one. it was last minute notice that he communicated this to me as well - he had known about it for 2 months. luckily, one of my other professors was nice enough to write one a little last minute.

how is it not even feb yet?

Jan 31, 08 1:25 pm  · 
 · 
asbuckeye07

ugh, thats horrible of your prof to do that.

I know im going to complain about how I cant wait until they let me know, then im going to complain about wanting to get to school, then once I get back to school will complain about wanting to graduate. life is a series of expectations for the next big thing...with that said, is it mid march yet?

Jan 31, 08 1:31 pm  · 
 · 
nnoraa

soooo to pass the time...

lets just say hypothetically, if we each didn't get into one school (which i doubt because we are all CLEARLY the best m. arch applicants around, hah).. what would everyones back up plan be? would you switch career paths, or try for the 2nd or 3rd time?

Jan 31, 08 1:43 pm  · 
 · 
laurilan

complaining works for me - misery loves company! and i'm bored at work.

Jan 31, 08 1:44 pm  · 
 · 
laurilan

my friend and i are both reapplying this yr. we decided that if we both don't get in anywhere, we're going to go move to another country - teach english or something like that.

i'm at least going to get the hell out of orlando.

Jan 31, 08 1:46 pm  · 
 · 
asbuckeye07

thats weird you mention that...I had the EXACT same thought; teaching english in spain. Im in dc, which isnt quuite as bad as orlando (at least you can go outside!).

Jan 31, 08 1:54 pm  · 
 · 
BabbleBeautiful

I'm in a more fortunate situation. This is my 2nd round, and last year I got into Syracuse and RISD. I managed to defer my acceptance @ Syracuse so that's officially my "backup" school. But I don't want to be in Syracuse for 3/3.5 years.

Jan 31, 08 2:07 pm  · 
 · 
boxy

probably wouldn't apply again. never really passionate about architecture. i'm in it for the chicks.

Jan 31, 08 2:10 pm  · 
 · 
asbuckeye07

thats a good reason. im in it for the low pressure and the money, as well as the females.

Jan 31, 08 2:21 pm  · 
 · 
nnoraa

hahaha for the chicks? i've been to the open houses, and i have to say i've seen more guys than girls..

if i don't get in, i'll stay at my current job for a few months and then quit because i hate it.. then i'll maybe move to florence or milan if i can get into any interior design programs over there (that are taught in english of course).

or i'll try to become an event planner. gypsy. you know, whatever.

Jan 31, 08 2:51 pm  · 
 · 
asbuckeye07

new movie idea: the Gypsy Wedding Planner. Staring the Hasidic woman from the 5th season of Curb.

Jan 31, 08 2:57 pm  · 
 · 
futurist

just sent in an order to ship my portfolio out from lulu.com

(exhale)

Jan 31, 08 7:44 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: